Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
So, I set up my first batch Sunday night (Northern Brewer American Ale), sealed it in the bucket and popped in an airlock. Since then, it hasn't started bubbling, which I have read isn't necessarily a bad thing. Popped it open to see what was up and what I believe is called a krausen, but it didn't seem terribly thick. Did I mess up somewhere along the line, or do I just give it some more time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
More time.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Man, WLP007 dry English ale doesn't gently caress around. It took my barleywine from 1.105 all the way down to 1.012 making it over 12% abv. I'll probably have to age this one for months before it's drinkable.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 4, 2013

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Just did my first all grain batch in a while...man, it just makes me want to stick with extract haha. (Smallish apt in the city, partial vol boil, uuugh)
But that said saison with 100% Belgian Munich + Dark Brown Sugar is sitting in the low 70s with 3711. Also just based off the smell Sorachi Ace might be my new favorite saison hop. Gotta test it out some more...

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Finally stopped being lazy and got some campden/ksorbate/wine acids and back sweetened all of the small batch meads I've had aging since last year. Man they taste amazing now. Still a little hot, but I'm assuming that'll clear out fast once the new honey ages in a bit. Exciting!

Waiting on a Cascade smash to carb up so I can see if I was successful on my quest for more hop aroma. I did a 5gal 1.054 batch with

2oz Cascade (90min)
2oz Cascade (20min)
4oz Cascade (0min)
4oz Cascade (7 day Dryhop)

If that doesn't get me some big aroma does anyone have a suggestion on how to pump out more?

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

fullroundaction posted:

Waiting on a Cascade smash to carb up so I can see if I was successful on my quest for more hop aroma. I did a 5gal 1.054 batch with

2oz Cascade (90min)
2oz Cascade (20min)
4oz Cascade (0min)

If that doesn't get me some big aroma does anyone have a suggestion on how to pump out more?

When I do pale ales I prefer to get more aroma and flavour rather than bittering so I normally do
45min
30min
10min
0min
dry hop

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Tasted my wheat before I racked it onto the raspberries a few days ago, actually pretty tasty! Plain, but tasty.
E: Just pulled a sample of the raspberry wheat (because I thought I added too few raspberries, thinking I only added 48oz not 60oz) but man its tasty. If I were to rebrew it I'd probably partial mash with some actual wheat and raise the abv a bit so it has more body, but the gf likes it this light so we'll see.

I took a poll for what I should have available for my house warming party and most people said Zombie Dust (sigh). Would a rough approximation (read: good enough for mostly non-beer nerds) be:
6LB Pilsen LME
2LB Wheat DME (because I have tons on hand :P)
10oz Caramel 60
(5.5% approximately)
1oz Citra 40m
1oz Citra 10m
1oz Citra 5m
3oz Citra Dry Hop

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 4, 2013

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
Last Sunday I brewed my first batch of beer: a 1 gallon batch of extract hefe. For the first couple of days it was bubbling away and I used a blow-off tube. Yesterday I noticed things had slowed down quite a bit, and I switched the tube for an airlock. Right now I'm pretty much not seeing any yeast activity at all. Am I not supposed to see an actively bubbling airlock? Did too much yeast blow off via the tubing? Am I being paranoid (most likely).

I plan on making another 1 gallon batch today (saison). Since I'm not going to use the entire dry yeast packet anyway should I pitch some of the saison yeast in my hefe to bring it back to life?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bolo yeung posted:

Last Sunday I brewed my first batch of beer: a 1 gallon batch of extract hefe. For the first couple of days it was bubbling away and I used a blow-off tube. Yesterday I noticed things had slowed down quite a bit, and I switched the tube for an airlock. Right now I'm pretty much not seeing any yeast activity at all. Am I not supposed to see an actively bubbling airlock? Did too much yeast blow off via the tubing? Am I being paranoid (most likely).

I plan on making another 1 gallon batch today (saison). Since I'm not going to use the entire dry yeast packet anyway should I pitch some of the saison yeast in my hefe to bring it back to life?

That's about the length of the noticeable part of primary fermentation. Things are still going on but not in a way that will really out gas or churn the beer.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

zedprime posted:

That's about the length of the noticeable part of primary fermentation. Things are still going on but not in a way that will really out gas or churn the beer.

OK, I'll just let it ride then. How much longer should I leave it in primary before bottling? Another week and a half?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
If you can't take gravity readings (buy a hydrometer) I'd say two weeks from the time fermentation starts is the minimum wait for medium gravity beers using first generation yeast. Three weeks to be safe.

e: I'm talking about avoiding bottle bombs, not how long you should age the beer for flavor.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
im about to add some gelatin finings to my racked beer. Im going by directions saying 1/2 tsp in cold water until dissolved, then heat it to 160-170 and then pour it in?

how much water? how long should i wait before bottling? do i need to shake it around ?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
The beer out post on my keg is leaking :(

I've used keg lube, tightened the post, and replaced the o-rings on the post and inside the disconnect. Still leaks, although only when the disconnect is actually attached. Poppets are pretty much the only other possibility at this point, right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

fullroundaction posted:

Finally stopped being lazy and got some campden/ksorbate/wine acids and back sweetened all of the small batch meads I've had aging since last year. Man they taste amazing now. Still a little hot, but I'm assuming that'll clear out fast once the new honey ages in a bit. Exciting!

2oz Cascade (90min)
2oz Cascade (20min)
4oz Cascade (0min)

At the risk of sounding crass, try some newer more aromatic hops like Citra or Mosaic?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Angry Grimace posted:

At the risk of sounding crass, try some newer more aromatic hops like Citra or Mosaic?

That's not crass at all, I was just using Cascade because I had a pound in the freezer and I love doing SMaShs so I can learn about the individual ingredients.

I'm not near my books, but is there an objective measure or number that hop aroma is rated by? Of course age/freshness is probably the biggest factor.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

fullroundaction posted:

That's not crass at all, I was just using Cascade because I had a pound in the freezer and I love doing SMaShs so I can learn about the individual ingredients.

I'm not near my books, but is there an objective measure or number that hop aroma is rated by? Of course age/freshness is probably the biggest factor.

Typically you are looking for hops with high concentrations of Beta oils. Unfortunately, you are rarely going to get an exact number for a given crop of hops, but you can get a general idea for each type. This chart is really helpful for figuring out how different hops compare:

http://hopschart.com/zoom.html

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Perfect that's awesome. Fortunately I'm doing a Simcoe smash this weekend with a similar hop schedule so I should be in good shape.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

Jo3sh posted:

More time.

Will do. Is there a point at which I should worry about lack of activity? I forgot to get a hydrometer reading to start out so I can't really keep tabs on it other than by waiting.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Brewed three beers today, started bright and early at 9:30am and just finished a bit ago (5:30pm). AHS Belgain quad and coconut porter, and NB's Saison. I forgot I had brewed a hefe last week so I anticipated having enough propane for 3 brews but ran out half way through the last boil and scrambled to get it inside onto the stove to finish up! 85*F out today and humid, way too hot for an 8 hours brewday. But I'm set for a while thankfully, although the quad will age for several months, the hefe, saison, and porter won't require much time to become drinkable!

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

I've used keg lube, tightened the post, and replaced the o-rings on the post and inside the disconnect. Still leaks, although only when the disconnect is actually attached. Poppets are pretty much the only other possibility at this point, right?

Yep. I bought a few extras for just this reason. They lose their coil tension over time.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Deviantfish posted:

Will do. Is there a point at which I should worry about lack of activity? I forgot to get a hydrometer reading to start out so I can't really keep tabs on it other than by waiting.

You may never see airlock activity - that stuff is notoriously slippery. Personally, I like to go a couple of weeks in the primary and then package, but I keg and therefore my risk is much lower. Even though you did not get a hydrometer reading at the beginning of your ferment, there is probably a target final gravity on your recipe, so after those two weeks I would take two hydrometer readings a day or two apart to see that it is both about where you expect it to be and no longer changing.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Tomorrow I am going to tidy up lots of leftovers.

Going for a Belgian IPA to finish about 6%, Maris Otter, crystal, maybe some table sugar to dry, Cascade, Chinook, Centennial, maybe bitter with Northern Brewer, pitching Wyeast Belgian Abbey II.

What can go wrong!

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

So my beer has only dropped 3 points or so in the last week, leaving it at around 1.037, 10 points short of its target. Should I call it good and start my dry hop or should I pitch a more alcohol tolerant yeast? I brought it up to 22 to encourage the yeast but no dice.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Mikey Purp posted:

I think mine is leaking as well. I poured 4 oz of sugar into my Saison to carb it up, and it wasnt carbed when poured my first pint for the 4th. I noticed some beer leaking out of the post. Do I just buy a new one?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

ScaerCroe posted:

I think mine is leaking as well. I poured 4 oz of sugar into my Saison to carb it up, and it wasnt carbed when poured my first pint for the 4th. I noticed some beer leaking out of the post. Do I just buy a new one?

Spray it with some StarSan (everyone keeps a spray bottle of StarSan around at all times, right?). If its leaking it'll bubble up and be super easy to find.

Has anyone used a saison yeast in a cider? I'm moving and won't be up to brewing for a bit, but I can still pour juice in a bucket and figure I might as well take advantage of this heat wave.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 6, 2013

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Brewed my Kentucky Common last week.

Mash looked quite dark and was a touch worried it'd be too roasty. I didn't add any acidulated malt so the recipe notes are a bit off.

I did a short 18h sour mash because I wanted it to be just this side of sour.

Mother's garage is a dumping ground of fabric and whatnot; the runnings were quite dark but I noticed the sparge was golden in color so it quelled a lot of my fears. I tasted the wort pre-boil and the Kentucky Common was like a nice tea sweetened with caramel (too much tannin?), which isn't the end of the world, just another thing to look out for. Maybe next time not mash with the dark/chocolate malts.

Went with a pretty rigorous boil due to sparging with extra water. 1oz hops at 30min and the "brew" was over in 2.5 (w/ cooling time).

Fermentation was way too high low 70s and 1009 tops at 68. I need a fridge.

Tasting notes soon.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Hmm, I did the no-chill method with my wort (making the six hour drive home later today, so I'll be pitching this evening), and now I'm reading posts on Home Brew Talk and worried that I messed something up. I'm reading posts about people keeping their fermenters pressurized as they cool to prevent air from being sucked in, which makes sense.

All I did was boil my two gallons of wort, pour it into a fermenter, and add cool tap water to bring it up to 5 gallons. The fermenter bucked was sealed with an airlock as it always is. Here's hoping I didn't deform the plastic with hot wort or let air get sucked into the bucket.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

illcendiary posted:

Hmm, I did the no-chill method with my wort (making the six hour drive home later today, so I'll be pitching this evening), and now I'm reading posts on Home Brew Talk and worried that I messed something up. I'm reading posts about people keeping their fermenters pressurized as they cool to prevent air from being sucked in, which makes sense.

All I did was boil my two gallons of wort, pour it into a fermenter, and add cool tap water to bring it up to 5 gallons. The fermenter bucked was sealed with an airlock as it always is. Here's hoping I didn't deform the plastic with hot wort or let air get sucked into the bucket.

Is your airlock one piece or three piece? If it's one piece it can't suck water in, just air. If it sucks air in before you pitch the yeast it's actually a good thing, you want to aerate the wort before pitching to give the yeast plenty of oxygen to reproduce.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

internet celebrity posted:

Is your airlock one piece or three piece? If it's one piece it can't suck water in, just air. If it sucks air in before you pitch the yeast it's actually a good thing, you want to aerate the wort before pitching to give the yeast plenty of oxygen to reproduce.

It's a three-piece. Looking at it now, it does look like a little bit of water was sucked in, but considering it's probably like half an ounce of sanitized water at the most, I'm not too concerned. Mainly I was worried about the interaction between the hot wort and bucket plastic (melting, warping, leaching) and getting bacteria sucked into the container itself. Hopefully all is good, because I'm looking forward to this lemongrass ginger ale otherwise.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Jacobey000 posted:

Brewed my Kentucky Common last week.

Let me know how the final product turns out. Local Option in Chicago contract brews a barrel aged Kentucky common that is out of this world loving good, and I'd love to be able to drink it on the regular.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Toebone posted:

Has anyone used a saison yeast in a cider? I'm moving and won't be up to brewing for a bit, but I can still pour juice in a bucket and figure I might as well take advantage of this heat wave.

I've heard of ale yeast working well enough in cider. Saison could be interesting. Post results if you try it because I'm going to have tons of cider to experiment with this fall.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

illcendiary posted:

It's a three-piece. Looking at it now, it does look like a little bit of water was sucked in, but considering it's probably like half an ounce of sanitized water at the most, I'm not too concerned. Mainly I was worried about the interaction between the hot wort and bucket plastic (melting, warping, leaching) and getting bacteria sucked into the container itself. Hopefully all is good, because I'm looking forward to this lemongrass ginger ale otherwise.

You'll be totally fine. I've driven beer 45min away post brew, as well as had strong fluctuations in temp (airlock suck back) many many times. You'll be good.

crazyfish posted:

Let me know how the final product turns out. Local Option in Chicago contract brews a barrel aged Kentucky common that is out of this world loving good, and I'd love to be able to drink it on the regular.

Just moved back to Chicago myself, would love to try that one to see how far off I was. Or if you are here I can parse a bottle off to you and see what you think it may need.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I've heard of ale yeast working well enough in cider. Saison could be interesting. Post results if you try it because I'm going to have tons of cider to experiment with this fall.

Planning on doing a Mead with 3711 or Belle Sasion real soon. I'd love to know what cider is like.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

So I'm on day 7 of my melomel, I did SNA the first 3.5 days then stopped to let it ride out. Should I keep agitating the must to release CO2 or leave it alone? Also, I'm planning on racking on top of 6 more pounds of strawberries, should I add more yeast at that time?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Jacobey000 posted:

Just moved back to Chicago myself, would love to try that one to see how far off I was. Or if you are here I can parse a bottle off to you and see what you think it may need.

That would be amazing. I'll let you know if I spot Local Option's version again - it's an amazing beer and I will drop pretty much everything to have another glass.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My cream ale / kolsch hybrid has been working for a week, and its sitting at 5% abv, about 79% attenuation. Debating whether I should let it go more or cold crash and bottle ( it's at 1.01 already).

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Welp, just dropped $480 on all the internal hardware for my keezer, + the Ranco temp controller and one of those little dehumidifiers. I could have sworn I got into brewing originally because it was cheaper than buying beer at the store.

e: Totals so far:

4 pin lock kegs - $160
20lb CO2 tank - $115 after shipping
Huge rear end old chest freezer - $30 on craigslist
Hardware, temp controller, dehumidifier - $480 shipped
Still to go - lumber, paint, sand-paper, sealant, stain

Expected final cost: around $850 for a 4 keg setup

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 6, 2013

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

I'm looking to make an IPA with all of my hop additions coming late in the boil and no dry hopping. Would something like this work: http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/late-hop-ipa-7

I added some Munich and Caramel malts in there for color and some malty flavor balance, but I'm not sure if it's too much. Any advice would be appreciated.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

hellfaucet posted:

So I'm on day 7 of my melomel, I did SNA the first 3.5 days then stopped to let it ride out. Should I keep agitating the must to release CO2 or leave it alone? Also, I'm planning on racking on top of 6 more pounds of strawberries, should I add more yeast at that time?

Depends on the gravity. The must no longer needs aeration after 1/3 of the sugars have been converted. Ex. OG 1.110 stop SNA and aeration at 1.066.

No more yeast should be required, there will still be plenty in suspension. I would also add the berries in a bag if you can. This will help you avoid some serious racking loss.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I'm looking to make an IPA with all of my hop additions coming late in the boil and no dry hopping. Would something like this work: http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/late-hop-ipa-7

I added some Munich and Caramel malts in there for color and some malty flavor balance, but I'm not sure if it's too much. Any advice would be appreciated.

I think those IBUs might be a bit on the low side, but that's a matter of taste. I think a little simcoe would be nice in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

ChickenArise posted:

I think those IBUs might be a bit on the low side, but that's a matter of taste. I think a little simcoe would be nice in that.

Yeah, the hop additions came entirely from this Mr. Malty post about using only late addition hops. Granted, the beer in that recipe is a red which is not going to depend on hops for it's flavor in the same way as an IPA does. I modified the recipe with some Simcoe and a small dose of CTZ at 60 min.

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/late-hop-ipa-7

Does the grain bill look reasonable? Trying to get a bit of extra malt character in there for balance without it being overwhelming.

I'm actually brewing this for a work event, so I am trying to make an IPA that's a crowd-pleaser.