Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Hyrule probably has more content and definitely has a wider array of movesets, but I also find myself getting frustrated with it having come back from fire emblem. It feels like normal combos do very little damage to officers and the critical prompts don't stay up for very long and can take a while before the enemy actually does a combo to make them appear. The Hyrule equivalent of awakening also doesn't seem as useful since it doesn't fill as consistently and doesn't make the critical prompts come up all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
If you haven't played either, Hyrule Warriors is probably the better game. The characters do have more personality and variety, but keep in mind that some of them are just painful to use. The giant monsters also get old pretty quickly, but that's a matter of my opinion. Fire Emblem suffers from some cloneage and fewer characters with likeable personalities, but it does have some nice quality of life improvements. I really like being able to heal characters whenever, pair up units, have a visual cue for weaknesses, take out fort commanders without sitting in the enemy base for however long it takes enough minions to spawn in, etc. But if you haven't played FEW, you wouldn't miss these features.

Since I've bought HW twice, I'm hoping the next big musou in one of the franchises I like comes out before I get the itch to play another one. Luckily, Monster Hunter World on PC will likely keep me entertained for a while once it's out.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

I like FEW quite a bit, but as someone who mostly missed out on Hyrule Warriors on Wii U and has just been digging in for the first time: It's definitely Hyrule Warriors that you want. It is so so so good and fun.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
If you don't care about the cast in fe warriors, you're probably going to be miserable and complain about it constantly like the switch thread usually does, so yeah skip it

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ZiegeDame posted:

Which is the better Switch warriors game, Fire Emblem or Hyrule? Caveats: I haven't really played a zelda game since Twilight Princess, and the only FE characters I have any attachment to are from 7-10 (leaving me with just Lyn).

FE feels really barebones compared to Hyrule to me, although the ability to command your teammates works much better in it.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Someday someone will realize the solution to lack of weapon diversity in FE crossover games is to use fuckin' Hector and Ephraim.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

ZiegeDame posted:

Someday someone will realize the solution to lack of weapon diversity in FE crossover games is to use fuckin' Hector and Ephraim.

Not having Hector was a goddamn crime. I assume FEW2 will be FE6-10 focused with some characters from Genealogy of the Holy War maybe.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

Considering Smash Brothers has 3 Marth Clones now and FEW decided it doesn't want to have any axemen on foot aside from LISSA.......I'm not sure they'll ever recall that Hector exists despite his popularity. Roy gets more fanfare from the devs seemingly despite the massive amount of hatred for him that I see in comparison. And from what I can tell Hector and Ephraim both could have been entirely unique movesets on this since Ephraim uses a normal spear(not a naginata) and is on foot or horse(not pegasus) and Hector is basically a heavy knight with an axe, another kind of character they didn't put in the game at all for playing at least.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1002356566840913920

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
You know, to this very day I remain baffled by this one Gate Captain.

Dynasty Warriors 3, Yi Ling, Shu-side. The Gate Captain near Sun Shang Xiang. Why the gently caress does he have commander-defense?!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Is....9....good yet?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I won't know until it hits at least less than £20

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Is....9....good yet?

9 has too many fundamental problems with it's design to be fixed with a mere patch. I'd check back in around Xtreme Legends time.

BlazetheInferno posted:

You know, to this very day I remain baffled by this one Gate Captain.

Dynasty Warriors 3, Yi Ling, Shu-side. The Gate Captain near Sun Shang Xiang. Why the gently caress does he have commander-defense?!

Probably a programming error. Since it's a late-game map for most campaigns, it's got a lot of amped-up bosses, and it probably got a buff intended for one of the other major Wu generals (Maybe even SSX? Most of the other main Wu generals had the super-boss thing going on that map but I remember SSX kinda just being there, which is weird to think about now considering how pushed she was for the Wu side in 3, but I kinda just wrote off as just her just being a really easy general compared to Super Ning or Sun 'Archer Lord' Quan.)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Mr. Locke posted:

9 has too many fundamental problems with it's design to be fixed with a mere patch. I'd check back in around Xtreme Legends time.

Call me when everybody has their unique weapons back without DLC and the Open World concept is scrapped completely.

Mr. Locke posted:

Probably a programming error. Since it's a late-game map for most campaigns, it's got a lot of amped-up bosses, and it probably got a buff intended for one of the other major Wu generals (Maybe even SSX? Most of the other main Wu generals had the super-boss thing going on that map but I remember SSX kinda just being there, which is weird to think about now considering how pushed she was for the Wu side in 3, but I kinda just wrote off as just her just being a really easy general compared to Super Ning or Sun 'Archer Lord' Quan.)

Honestly, probably. The buff was probably meant for SSX. Though that brings up another question (how the hell they put the buff on the wrong unit who's not even an officer aside). Why the hell does EVERY GODDAMN OFFICER on Wu side have Super-Stats?!? Lu Meng, Gan Ning/Zhou Yu, Lu Xun... Sun Quan's allowed, he's actually the commander. Everyone else has no goddamn excuse. Especially considering they either weren't there, or did nothing special in the battle.

(then again, "not there" doesn't seem to stop DW3 from much of anything, since Guan Yu shows up instead of Ma Chao if you've beaten his musou mode... Guan Yu, the guy who's death CAUSED THE BATTLE.)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Because Wu kicks the most rear end, obviously.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BlazetheInferno posted:

Call me when everybody has their unique weapons back without DLC and the Open World concept is scrapped completely.

Xtreme Legends or Empires will likely fix the weapons issue, but the open world is likely here to stay.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM6NyrrfYKQ

this releases.... today. like, its out.

reviews seem to paint it as pretty barebones

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Nobunaga apparently has a neurological condition where he can't stop staring at the horizon and smirking

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Okay, dunno if this is the right place to ask, but it's emulator trouble with Dynasty Warriors, so I'll try here first.

I'm using PCSX2 (v1.4), and I have an .iso for both DW3 and DW3XL. Problem is, when I boot up XL, it says the memory card data is corrupt or something and that it can't be combined with Xtreme Legends. In fact, when I try to do the disc-swap menu option to unlock original game content in the XL game, it doesn't even recognize the DW3 .iso as Dynasty Warriors 3.

Both games run absolutely fine individually, no issues whatsoever. It's only when DW3XL tries to access DW3's save data or the "disc" that it doesn't work.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be related to the actual .iso filenames? Any thoughts?

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
PCSX is really crap at dealing with disc swaps.

You need to make some sort of special custom ISO file:
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Dynasty-Warriors-XL-problem-SOLVED

It works for DW3&XL, and in theory it'd work for DW4/5 and SW1 as well.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

NameHurtBrain posted:

PCSX is really crap at dealing with disc swaps.

You need to make some sort of special custom ISO file:
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Dynasty-Warriors-XL-problem-SOLVED

It works for DW3&XL, and in theory it'd work for DW4/5 and SW1 as well.

Thanks for pointing me there. Now if only I could get it to load the save data from my DW3 data. Still says it's "corrupted" when I load up the game :(

Cause I've been playing in base DW3 for a while, but I wanna import the save data to XL now. The Disc Swap is working, but I want Xtreme Legends to load save data from the base DW3. Character stats, weapons, items, that sort of thing.

EDIT: I would love to ask the PCSX2 forum directly, but any time I try to post, it just spits errors at me.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 7, 2018

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Warriors Orochi 4 footage, featuring new character

https://a.safe.moe/Nfd2WT8.mp4

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

who's the big bara guy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

who's the big bara guy

zeus?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you can't do zeus without a beard

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Davincie posted:

I dunno, dude. I've read some mythology. Pretty sure he's not that picky.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Davincie posted:

too late, they did it. chubby beardless zeus, game 10/10.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Uh if you look closely he actually does have a bit of chin fringe.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Zeus' beard is too much for a mere human form to contain, so he had to shave.

Nah I don't like it. I mean I'll buy the game but Zeus needs a loving beard.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Oh good Hyper attacks are still around. I was worried about the samurai cast losing it. Now I'm wondering what the dynasty characters will get to balance it out, especially since they're not gonna use the DW9 movesets.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

First gameplay trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Mr2zsH5q0

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Warriors Orochi 4 is September 27th in Japan.

Tae fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 9, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Did Zeus have wings?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Did Zeus have wings?

He did when he turned into a swan to get some strange.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

That Da Ji bonus outfit...

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Anime Zeus owns.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Still playing Dynasty Warriors 3, and...

Apparently the Wei troops near Sima Yi on You Ting have taken up mountain climbing...? I keep seeing troops running across the impassable-terrain mountains between the three gates at the north end of the map...

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Zeus grew wings but he had to pay a terrible price: his nips

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I know that the joke doesn't quite work, but I couldn't resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

Still playing Dynasty Warriors 3, and...

Apparently the Wei troops near Sima Yi on You Ting have taken up mountain climbing...? I keep seeing troops running across the impassable-terrain mountains between the three gates at the north end of the map...

Units don't really "exist" until they're near the player, which is why the game relies on morale to simulate battles away from you. The game is usually competent to hide this from you but in some places it falls apart. Cao Cao's path at Hu Lao Gate, for example, constantly has dudes just blatantly running down from impassable terrain in front of you.