Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

National Review is so drat weak. I read NRO (and other right wing rags) for a while after the 2012 election strictly for schadenfreude reasons, but aside from sating myself, it just seems so amateurish and poorly written, it's hard to take. Makes me wonder how good it ever was in the early days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

Yeah the response to "well if mooching off the government is so lucrative why are you slaving at a 9-5 like a chump?" is typically "I'm not a minority so I don't get access to all the goodies they do!" and there's no way to make them believe that is totally bogus.

"I work hard" is a totally meaningless self-assertion of worth and you will invariably hear it anytime any white person with blue collar vocational anxiety talks about the American economy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Radish posted:

Yeah the response to "well if mooching off the government is so lucrative why are you slaving at a 9-5 like a chump?" is typically "I'm not a minority so I don't get access to all the goodies they do!" and there's no way to make them believe that is totally bogus.

That's basically an externalization of "I have a job, they do not. Ergo, I automatically am morally superior."

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

That NRO article had me nodding and thinking "yeah, and that's bad how?" the whole time. The fact that they're hand wringing about Maddow so hard says to me things are going very well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's basically an externalization of "I have a job, they do not. Ergo, I automatically am morally superior."

I attempted to knock some sense into someone with my personal experience with having to use government assistance. The reply I got was "you're different." No matter how I put it, I couldn't get around the fact that I'm apparently different, which led to a story about how he joined the Army to get ahead (he was mid to late 40's). :jerkbag:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

William Bear posted:

It's not hypocrisy, though. She's to the left of the NR, but she still believes in private ownership of capital. I first noticed this meme when conservatives mocked some Occupy Wall Street protesters for using Apple products and it still won't die.

:smug: "Centrist liberal, eh? But what's this--is this money in your pocket? I guess Marx was wrong after all!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The party of fiscal responsibility.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Matt Drudge is bragging about having no insurance at all, just to spite the government? Or is there some crazy right wing definition of 'opt out' that I don't know about?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He has insurance through his employer.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

"I, who have made many millions stoking the fears and prejudices of the American Right and can easily afford to pay any medical bills I incur out of pocket, bravely go without medical insurance to stick it to Obummer."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phone posted:

He has insurance through his employer.

Yeah, so that's not really opting out? Unless he means opt out as an empty rhetorical gesture for the ignorant which is pretty much his MO so I'm not confused if that's the case.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Yeah, so that's not really opting out? Unless he means opt out as an empty rhetorical gesture for the ignorant which is pretty much his MO so I'm not confused if that's the case.

He's self employed, so yeah. Let's get the counter to see how long it takes him to be struck by lightning.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Oh no what will the insurance markets do without that tentpole "60+ year old on the FOX news blood pressure program who is standing in line to buy a Chick-fil-a sandwich" demographic

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
The Senate is set to vote on extending unemployment benefits today, and naturally Limbaugh is raging against it. I am kind of surprised Drudge is focusing on 'USA COLDEST IN YEARS, NO GLOBAL WARMING :downs:' while the rest of the right-wing white hot rage sphere is denigrating poor people.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
If he really is over 60, what the gently caress does he care, hes going to be on medicare any day now.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I'm confused. Is he uninsured and refusing to ever buy health insurance, or did he just cancel his health insurance plan because he thinks it's Obamacare somehow?

Does he have any idea how the ACA works at all? Does he think everyone was forced to sign up through healthcare.gov whether or not they already had health insurance? If he has his own health insurance plan he isn't "opting out" of anything and he isn't going to pay the penalty, and if he's a millionaire and refusing to buy any health insurance purely out of spite he's just really stupid with money.

Honestly, he probably does know better. He just wants to paint "Obamacare" as a brand new welfare program that allows hordes of takers and moochers to hit up random hospitals for fistfulls of free birth control and fun unnecessary medical procedures using their brand-new Obamacare cards (with the "O" logo on it) that suck money directly out of the checking accounts of White America. So he's just going to lie through his teeth to keep the outrage machine humming.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I want to know who the GOP thinks is the target audience for the constant always-pay-for and austerity talk. To me it seems like if you're someone who wasn't that hurt from the recession, then by now you'd have to be skeptical of the people saying the sky is gonna fall any minute now and we better milk the saftey net to be sure. And everyone else who was hosed over just sees you making GBS threads on them. What's the point? Dickwaving to avoid primaries? Seems like a pretty dangerous item to be playing with without a big upside.

Is it really so bad in their fever swamp that they can't even pick their battles anymore? They just go all in every hand and then eat it? It doesn't seem that way, they got away with actually writing a budget that lasts longer than 5 seconds when the defense lobby was about to take the hit. So why can't they muster the balls to let unemployment benefits go through without a big fuss?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I want to know who the GOP thinks is the target audience for the constant always-pay-for and austerity talk. To me it seems like if you're someone who wasn't that hurt from the recession, then by now you'd have to be skeptical of the people saying the sky is gonna fall any minute now and we better milk the saftey net to be sure. And everyone else who was hosed over just sees you making GBS threads on them. What's the point? Dickwaving to avoid primaries? Seems like a pretty dangerous item to be playing with without a big upside.

Is it really so bad in their fever swamp that they can't even pick their battles anymore? They just go all in every hand and then eat it? It doesn't seem that way, they got away with actually writing a budget that lasts longer than 5 seconds when the defense lobby was about to take the hit. So why can't they muster the balls to let unemployment benefits go through without a big fuss?

The state of Ohio raised their minimum wage by $0.10 on January 1st. Someone in my facebook feed (currently unemployed as well as unskilled by the way), made a bitchy post about what is wrong with people because she had to work so hard to get to that rate once upon a time. There is no logic to the people who they're preaching to.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The logic is racism and/or spite. That's really it.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

The state of Ohio raised their minimum wage by $0.10 on January 1st. Someone in my facebook feed (currently unemployed as well as unskilled by the way), made a bitchy post about what is wrong with people because she had to work so hard to get to that rate once upon a time. There is no logic to the people who they're preaching to.

And of course the same people who insist that 8 bucks gets you exactly as far as it did a decade or more ago also scream about inflation (see Drudge's "monopoly money" comment).

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Radish posted:

Or they pity themselves for being too moral and responsible to do that.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
This morning's Rush was a gem --

He spends an entire segment railing about how the Senate is "indefinitely extending" unemployment insurance.

After a 15 minute extended commercial slot, he comes back and effectively says "yeah, I was 'extrapolating'. it's not indefinite. It's only 3 months. But whatever."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Why did he bother correcting himself?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That's why people on the ground are into it, and why I would understand even a 75% effort but they are seemingly united in shredding themselves on the image of loving over the jobless to gain the love of a crowd they already have cornered and some credit as FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE which is hardly a national priority at the moment.

The only explanation I have is that they genuinely fear the tea party more than they fear losing elections to Democrats. Which I understand for those red as gently caress house districts but that's not everyone.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which Politico devotes twelve paragraphs to an article telling us that Obama is aware that it is cold outside.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Glenn Beck talked a bit about Bill De Blasio's son today. He said something like, "Why hasn't anyone made fun of his hair!? I'm not saying anyone should, but they did it to Mitt Romney's kids and no one cared. But seriously, guys. What about his hair? Oh, he's mixed race? Oh, I didn't know that. But his hair, guys. His hair...Mitt Romney!"

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Rush just had a caller on talking about chemtrails and Agenda 21. It was actually really hilarious because Limbaugh was playing along with it the entire time. I will see if some audio of it gets put up later because it's totally pro-listen

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

lil mortimer posted:

Glenn Beck talked a bit about Bill De Blasio's son today. He said something like, "Why hasn't anyone made fun of his hair!? I'm not saying anyone should, but they did it to Mitt Romney's kids and no one cared. But seriously, guys. What about his hair? Oh, he's mixed race? Oh, I didn't know that. But his hair, guys. His hair...Mitt Romney!"

Because Dante De Blasio's hair is awesome and Romney's sons all look like the villains of an 80's "Slobs vs Snobs" movie.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

I attempted to knock some sense into someone with my personal experience with having to use government assistance. The reply I got was "you're different." No matter how I put it, I couldn't get around the fact that I'm apparently different, which led to a story about how he joined the Army to get ahead (he was mid to late 40's). :jerkbag:

Yeah there's a metric gently caress ton of "no true Scotsman" arguments in politics everywhere as well as "well you know an exception doesn't prove anything." It varies depending on what they're arguing for. A poor person that claws out of poverty is proof that the poor can do it if they want it bad enough, even though over 90% of the lowest rung of society have no hope of ever leaving but a poor person that goes on a shooting rampage is indicative of all poor people being murderous psychopaths even though over 90% of the lowest run of society will never go on a shooting rampage.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I find this fascinating, Lena Dunham gets featured constantly on Breitbart and the most recent post decided instead of choosing an actual photo for her, they used a screen grab from a previous golden globes skit where she is eating cake, blurred out nudity in the bathroom. Remember Breitbart is the site that flips it's poo poo whenever comments are made about Palin. Lena also supports Obamacare and made an ad telling people to vote called "My First Time" which pissed off a lot of conservatives.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/01/07/Lena-Dunham-Vogue

quote:

MartelsGhost • 4 hours ago
Lena Dunham is not "curvy", she is a disgusting vulgar thing that barely qualifies as a female of any species. I can't imagine what demographic she "appeals to" but I have a feeling they were on the recent Rose Parade float.

carolina mama • an hour ago
ROFLMBO! That is one classy lady right there, I tell you. Sitting on the "throne", butt naked, eating cake, while being photographed. Another "heroine" in the Wendy Davis league of heroines! /sarc

thirdarmy • an hour ago
I guess chubby and ugly is the new style.

Guy Fleegman1 • an hour ago
PIG P I G PIG

johnest • 2 hours ago
Wow whata slob, ugly, fat, dumb, and filthy is one way to be an icon on the left. A race to the bottom. Wouldn't you love if she flushed herself, bet she would feel at home with others of her kind.

thelastplainsman • 3 hours ago
You gotta know she is a liberal just by her looks- underwhelming. Look who we have in our corner; Megan Kelly, Ann Coulter, and Sarah Palin.
Kickin' A$$ and taking names!

Historyrepete • an hour ago
"curvy "aint this ol girls problem

ooddballz • an hour ago
So, "curvy" is the new word for "fat pig?"
I'm going to bed now, wake me when "morbidly obese" is the new word for "skinny"....better yet, just shoot me in my sleep.

schatzi51 • 41 minutes ago
They DO eat where they, uh, you know...
It's the way of the progs.

Ponyrunner • 31 minutes ago
Dude! I was trying to have lunch at my desk. Now I am nauseated.
Jeez, What an attention whore.

libertyluvur • 18 minutes ago
Her grandchildren will be so proud...oh, wait..she's not into sex for procreation since 2 girls can procreate, well thank god for that. I'll bet her ovaries are thanking god too.

craigmayberry • 18 minutes ago
Never heard of this fat little dweeb.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I find this fascinating, Lena Dunham gets featured constantly on Breitbart and the most recent post decided instead of choosing an actual photo for her, they used a screen grab from a previous golden globes skit where she is eating cake, blurred out nudity in the bathroom. Remember Breitbart is the site that flips it's poo poo whenever comments are made about Palin. Lena also supports Obamacare and made an ad telling people to vote called "My First Time" which pissed off a lot of conservatives.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/01/07/Lena-Dunham-Vogue

It it even worth arguing with these people or is it more akin to touching the poop.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I'm built a lot like Lena Dunham and seeing comments like that all the time really bums me out. She gets so much hate for being chubby but comfortable with her body. I bet they'd all flip their poo poo if someone criticized... umm... Patricia Heaton's appearance? I can't really think of any other vocally conservative actresses.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If you're really really lucky you might get someone to attempt to explain why it's ok for Dunham and not for Palin that will probably reveal plenty more about them that isn't worth dealing with. More likely you'll just get called a fag and kicked off the site.

I always keep an open mind but I'm not going to hold my breath that the Breitbart comments section has some chestnut of wisdom on why that sort of poo poo is OK. And frankly they can have it, I don't wring my hands over poo poo like this anymore. Absolutely nothing gives me more hope for 2016 and beyond than the continuing proud cesspool that is the GOP conversation with itself and how utterly unconnected it is from the business of winning votes. I hate what they say, I hate the way they say it, I hate that there are a lot of good people out there that will be harmed and I'll speak out and say exactly why it's wrong to anyone who will listen...but I am pretty goddamn excited that their party seems to be so caught up in proud ignorance, massive corporate grifting and white panic that they can't even begin to start the work of finding new votes.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

comes along bort posted:

I can't tell if this is plain ol' sour grapes, some weird lesbian crush manifesting itself through punditry, or just NRO being NRO, but good grief:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/367610/rachels-show-eliana-johnson

"Inmates running the asylum"? Three incidents at MSNBC where two of the hosts resigned and one gave a sobbing apology. FOX, Limbaugh, Beck etc literally and proudly make the same kind of ugly comments and worse every day and never apologize, nor are they even asked to apologize. The hypocrisy and blind-think here is just off the charts.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I keep trying to give a concise explanation of what I think and was trying to say in that last post because I find myself saying it a lot.

Right now I think the shortest way to say it is that I believe liberalism is, and will continue, to win the day because I think it's easier and encouraged for someone on the left to find an honest understanding the how and why of conservatism. Whereas generally, and today especially, conservatism is prone to complete dismissal or dishonest engagement with the how and why of liberalism.

It's getting especially bad lately because the base and a shockingly elite level of conservatives seem to have truly convinced themselves that their opponents think and operate exactly like the cartoon version on Fox news does. They're starting to lose the game because they dismissed their opponent even in the middle of watching themselves lose. It caused the coalition and winking agreement between the MIC, religious right and big business to breakdown. The Romney campaign painted this pretty starkly but I think it's hard to find an area of politics right now where this isn't becoming apparent.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I keep trying to give a concise explanation of what I think and was trying to say in that last post because I find myself saying it a lot.

Right now I think the shortest way to say it is that I believe liberalism is, and will continue, to win the day because I think it's easier and encouraged for someone on the left to find an honest understanding the how and why of conservatism. Whereas generally, and today especially, conservatism is prone to complete dismissal or dishonest engagement with the how and why of liberalism.

It's getting especially bad lately because the base and a shockingly elite level of conservatives seem to have truly convinced themselves that their opponents think and operate exactly like the cartoon version on Fox news does. They're starting to lose the game because they dismissed their opponent even in the middle of watching themselves lose. It caused the coalition and winking agreement between the MIC, religious right and big business to breakdown. The Romney campaign painted this pretty starkly but I think it's hard to find an area of politics right now where this isn't becoming apparent.

One factor not to be overlooked is the significant portion of the electorate that has a short attention span and is easily susceptible to the right's propaganda. All it would take is a major fuckup/scandal by the Democrats and they could take poo poo over for a generation.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

beatlegs posted:

"Inmates running the asylum"? Three incidents at MSNBC where two of the hosts resigned and one gave a sobbing apology. FOX, Limbaugh, Beck etc literally and proudly make the same kind of ugly comments and worse every day and never apologize, nor are they even asked to apologize. The hypocrisy and blind-think here is just off the charts.
What are you talking about? Limbaugh was taken to task on the Sandra Fluke incident by the media. He even apologized for it! :rolleyes:
To a sane person: a woman goes before Congress to discuss a woman's health issue. (You can even watch the actual testimony right here!)
Limbaugh's Brain: SLUT SEX HAVIN' TROLLOP :byodood:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

beatlegs posted:

One factor not to be overlooked is the significant portion of the electorate that has a short attention span and is easily susceptible to the right's propaganda. All it would take is a major fuckup/scandal by the Democrats and they could take poo poo over for a generation.

Depending on the severity of the scandal I still file that sort of thing under short term. The same short attention span and emotional operating that hurts fast will fade fast, pending your spin. Maybe I'm naive but I think the long term can't be won by a party that looks at governing and the majority of the US populace the way the GOP does. I believe the culture of nerdy brick building, wonking and openness to diversity that the left values today is what's going to be a real force on a 50-100 year scale. It's the difference between what Bill Clinton did in the 2012 campaign and what Paul Ryan did. It's not a contest between who can spin the numbers anymore it's a contest between someone who wants you to look at them and someone who says they're a massive conspiracy and the whole game is rigged by chemtrails.

Lets say they change their minds in the coming 3 years and start making inroads into new demographics, open up to a wider tent, start recruiting and holding the real nuts and bolts people you need to run modern campaigns. They're still 11 years behind a Democratic party that knew the value of operating in reality back when the argument was "Did George W. Bush exist?".

To me right now the difference between the two parties on the fundamentals of governing and campaigning is just insane and it seems to be leading to short-term cynical fixes like vote suppression and gerrymandering where the shady solution to losing on merit finally becomes so unwieldy and gross that there's no upside.

Then again I thought the politics and optics during the shutdown were something that was beyond the pale but then everyone decided that a website not working was just as bad. We could be completely hosed, I couldn't tell you for sure. The newsmedia is an especially scary thing right now that they're bleeding money and really obviously losing purpose.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Speaking of chemtrails.... I sometimes peruse the insanity that is Alex Jones and David Dees but hearing such a mainstream talk radio host have to deal with this kind of crazy is pretty amusing :laugh: