Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Hi thread. I'm in the market for a headset that has the following features:

- Full-size
- Wired /w USB (not 3.5mm, as my computer doesn't have a 3.5mm port)
- Active noise canceling (my HVAC is very loud and simple noise isolation isn't enough)

For whatever reason, wired headsets don't seem to have active noise cancellation. At least I haven't been able to find such a combo on Amazon. Which is why I'm here.

I recently got this headset from my work which fits all your requirements:

https://www.poly.com/us/en/products/headsets/blackwire/blackwire-8225

It has three levels of active noise cancellation, and when I have it set to high, it blocks out almost all of the noise from my tower fan that sits behind my chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Billy Zane posted:

I recently got this headset from my work which fits all your requirements:

https://www.poly.com/us/en/products/headsets/blackwire/blackwire-8225

It has three levels of active noise cancellation, and when I have it set to high, it blocks out almost all of the noise from my tower fan that sits behind my chair.

Sorry, when I said "full-size" I was going by the descriptions in the OP.

I don't like the ones that are flat (like the one you linked) because they hurt my ears after even an hour of use.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Do you need wired or is it just worries about batteries/etc? The Wireless headsets from Polycom and Jabra are legit good.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

Do you need wired or is it just worries about batteries/etc? The Wireless headsets from Polycom and Jabra are legit good.

I've used wireless in the past, and I resent having to constantly recharge them. If the batteries lasted a week or longer, that'd be one thing, but in my experience if you forget to plug them into the charger after a day of use, the next day you're without a headset.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just wear wired IEMs underneath industrial earmuffs. Get something rated for black noise levels. Extreme rating is probably significant overkill.

Then again maybe your PC is inside a generator room, who knows!

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 14, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Huh, I thought there was an airpods thread but maybe that's too esoteric to warrant its own thing.

Anyway, I've got this love hate relationship with my current gen base model Airpods. The integration with my Apple ecosystem is top notch and I'd be really hardpressed to give it up; the gestures sounded like a really dumb thing when I first heard about them but now I press the airpod stalk to control playback all the time; I can count on one hand the times they've fallen out of my ears despite not being wedged into my misshapen ear canal, and probably every instance there was me bumping them or doing something stupid.

That said, the charging is driving me absolutely bananas.

I know I complained about it before in some thread, but I use these daily and without fail every week or two I pull them out of their case and pop them in when heading out for my jog, only to hear the infuriating BEEP BEEP BOOP BOOP I'M OUT OF BATTERY warble from one or the other five minutes in.

If it's not that, it's the phone misrepresenting the battery reading. I pulled them out of the case this morning and glanced at my phone and the left airpod read 27% vs 80% on my left. I swore and popped them into the case, but prior experience told me that this may be a bad stat, so I pulled them out of the case again, still at 27%, popped it in and pulled it out and magically the third time it reported 80%.

The other day I could swear I saw something about smart charging being enabled on the airpods, where it's only charging them to 80% until it thinks I need a full charge, though I can't for the life of me figure out where I saw that, or if I just imagined it. To be frank, I'd rather turn that off and get a 100% charge every night since I use them for a full day and risk a prematurely degraded battery since I treat these as consumable 2-4 year replacement items anyway. Though my OG airpods are still kicking as backups, I can get a good hour or two of emergency "need tunes while jogging" life out of them, about all I can ask of that tiny old batty

At this point I don't know if this is my specific unit or if it's just a general issue. I vaguely remember reading others having similar issues. I'm pretty sure they're out of support but even if they still had AC I'm not sure this really qualifies as a genius bar visit. They're fine 95% of the time and I can't demonstrate this on command, so iunno.

I'm willing to put up with shenanigans because I legit do love them, but I really hope the next iteration does something about this.

e: And to clarify, I do keep the connector ends clean as I can, wipe them down regularly, and blow out the case in order to prevent dust or debris from messing with the contacts.

e: Not sure what my point here was. I guess looking to see if anyone else has this experience? I hope it's not common but wouldn't be surprised if it is. I'm going to slavishly upgrade to whatever non-pro airpods they release next. Nothing against pro, I just don't like ear-sealing airbuds (misshapen ear canal, nothing really fits right, feels uncomfortable, etc).

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 16, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've never had issues like that with my pros, which are currently filthy with fluff and gunk. The smart charging thing is universal across all Apple stuff now including the Macbook (which apparently drives the people who use the Macbook Pro like a desktop crazy), they charge to 80% fast and then slow charge the remaining 20% with the idea that they'll be back at 100% by the time you usually pull them out. If the batteries are regularly mis-reporting or not charging properly that's something I'd take to the store to get checked.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

I know I complained about it before in some thread, but I use these daily and without fail every week or two I pull them out of their case and pop them in when heading out for my jog, only to hear the infuriating BEEP BEEP BOOP BOOP I'M OUT OF BATTERY warble from one or the other five minutes in.

This happens to me every so often as well. It’s not every two weeks but it does happen.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I finally dropped my Jabra Elite 75 case one too many times and the right earbud no longer charges.

What's a good replacement that is wireless, will stay in my ears during workouts, can be worn under PPE earmuffs, and has good ANC? No AirPods, I hate how they look.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of solutions on the market but if you liked the Jabra probably no reason not to get more of the same or a pair of whatever is their most current. The elite 7 active?
(Do you need top tier ANC with earmuffs on AND music playing? Bose or Sony.)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 17, 2022

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

DancingShade posted:

A lot of solutions on the market but if you liked the Jabra probably no reason not to get more of the same or a pair of whatever is their most current. The elite 7 active?
(Do you need top tier ANC with earmuffs on AND music playing? Bose or Sony.)

The ANC is for the gym and grocery store.. My gym is full of people who feel the need to scream and throw weights, and the grocery store is just a rumbling hive of noise that sets me on edge and pumps my anxiety to 11 for the rest of the day.

I'm leaning toward just getting a new set of Jabras, but wasn't sure if there was something magical I was missing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A while ago I got the Evolve 80 to replace my slightly broken older Jabra headset, it had ANC and looked like the most badass (and expensive) option.

Turned out it's not wireless (nothing claimed they doesn't claim, but I assumed the cable would be detachable like on my headset), the ANC isn't remotely as good as Sony's, and the passive isolation makes phone calls unpleasant.

Just sharing since there's a lot of Jabra chat.

some kinda jackal posted:

Huh, I thought there was an airpods thread but maybe that's too esoteric to warrant its own thing.

Anyway, I've got this love hate relationship with my current gen base model Airpods. The integration with my Apple ecosystem is top notch and I'd be really hardpressed to give it up; the gestures sounded like a really dumb thing when I first heard about them but now I press the airpod stalk to control playback all the time; I can count on one hand the times they've fallen out of my ears despite not being wedged into my misshapen ear canal, and probably every instance there was me bumping them or doing something stupid.

That said, the charging is driving me absolutely bananas.

If it's not that, it's the phone misrepresenting the battery reading. I pulled them out of the case this morning and glanced at my phone and the left airpod read 27% vs 80% on my left. I swore and popped them into the case, but prior experience told me that this may be a bad stat, so I pulled them out of the case again, still at 27%, popped it in and pulled it out and magically the third time it reported 80%.

The other day I could swear I saw something about smart charging being enabled on the airpods, where it's only charging them to 80% until it thinks I need a full charge, though I can't for the life of me figure out where I saw that, or if I just imagined it. To be frank, I'd rather turn that off and get a 100% charge every night since I use them for a full day and risk a prematurely degraded battery since I treat these as consumable 2-4 year replacement items anyway. Though my OG airpods are still kicking as backups, I can get a good hour or two of emergency "need tunes while jogging" life out of them, about all I can ask of that tiny old batty

At this point I don't know if this is my specific unit or if it's just a general issue. I vaguely remember reading others having similar issues. I'm pretty sure they're out of support but even if they still had AC I'm not sure this really qualifies as a genius bar visit. They're fine 95% of the time and I can't demonstrate this on command, so iunno.

I'm willing to put up with shenanigans because I legit do love them, but I really hope the next iteration does something about this.

e: And to clarify, I do keep the connector ends clean as I can, wipe them down regularly, and blow out the case in order to prevent dust or debris from messing with the contacts.

e: Not sure what my point here was. I guess looking to see if anyone else has this experience? I hope it's not common but wouldn't be surprised if it is. I'm going to slavishly upgrade to whatever non-pro airpods they release next. Nothing against pro, I just don't like ear-sealing airbuds (misshapen ear canal, nothing really fits right, feels uncomfortable, etc).
I don't think it's an actual issue with my Samsung Buds Pro, as much as just the way these work. But I constantly manage to run them down even just occasionally using around the house. I'll take a call or listen to some music, put them on the desk while working, and later they're almost dead. I'd slap them into the case, then the next day... the case and buds batteries are both at 2% or whatever. Then of course if I constantly put them into the case, I'm just destroying the battery even faster.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
11 month extremely causal review of my Bose QC35 II’s

Still fantastically good headphones for my use case, which is podcasts and music with sound isolation. Shockingly good for videogames when plugged in and turned on. Battery life is good enough that ive never had to worry about its charge. Still very comfortable for my head shape. Downsides are that call quality could be better and that micro USB charging feels really dated in 2022.

Im sure better options exist out there but for the price I paid im really happy. I know Bose released the QC 45s which added USB-C so that’s nice. If my headphones hypothetically broke id replace them with the 45s/discounted 35s in a heartbeat.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Looking for two recommendations:

First: Wireless, noise cancelling over ear headphones for office use. Looking to spend around $100 US, my wife has a shared office and basically wants to be able to work without hearing other people, and wants others to easily see when she is trying to focus and be left alone.

Second: I am looking for earbuds that I can wear to listen to music or podcasts while mowing and also once a year when I go to the Indy 500. I have been looking for corded options, but I’m not sure if there is any reason why wireless wouldn’t work. I can listen to the race broadcast on regular apple EarPods with the volume all the way up but I doubt that is healthy in the long run. Also looking in the $100-$125 range.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sleepytime posted:

Second: I am looking for earbuds that I can wear to listen to music or podcasts while mowing and also once a year when I go to the Indy 500. I have been looking for corded options, but I’m not sure if there is any reason why wireless wouldn’t work. I can listen to the race broadcast on regular apple EarPods with the volume all the way up but I doubt that is healthy in the long run. Also looking in the $100-$125 range.

The isolation is great on these.
https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Res...ps%2C159&sr=8-3

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sleepytime posted:

First: Wireless, noise cancelling over ear headphones for office use. Looking to spend around $100 US, my wife has a shared office and basically wants to be able to work without hearing other people, and wants others to easily see when she is trying to focus and be left alone.

First: not sure

Second: you want ear protection with headphone capability, not ear buds you idiot (with all due respect, but you’re talking about competing with the sound of motorized lawn equipment and Indy cars. And I want to emphasize to you that you want active earpro, not headphones turned all the way up, or else you’re just destroying your hearing).

Consider something like these Elgin earbuds for $100: https://elginusa.com/products/elgin-rumble-bluetooth-earplug-earbuds

Or maybe consider a less expensive (or more expensive, there’s a whole world of wired and wireless ear protection out there) over-ear option. It’ll protect your hearing way better and put up to the abuse of yard work and being put on/taken off better.

For daily-life noise canceling, I’d stretch your budget to $180 and get AirPods Pro with noise canceling, they’re really awesome for most settings (if your wife’s on a Mac, they’re a pretty great office earbud) but they’re no substitute for real ear protection.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sleepytime posted:

https://www.status.co/products/flagshipanc

The front page says they are $129 but that link says $159. They regularly go on sale though

quote:

Woot.com had the power beats for $95 and after using them for a few days I’d definitely recommend them.

They fit in my ears much better thanks to the wings and the sound is pretty good. The ANC isn’t quite as good as the Airpod pros but it’s decent enough and they have good sound isolation

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/beats-fit-pro-true-wireless-anc-earbuds-grade-a-refurbished-1?ref=mwj_sh_all_16_bs

The price is 109 now but it was $95 last week.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

https://www.status.co/products/flagshipanc

The front page says they are $129 but that link says $159. They regularly go on sale though

Woot.com had the power beats for $95 and after using them for a few days I’d definitely recommend them.

They fit in my ears much better thanks to the wings and the sound is pretty good. The ANC isn’t quite as good as the Airpod pros but it’s decent enough and they have good sound isolation

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/beats-fit-pro-true-wireless-anc-earbuds-grade-a-refurbished-1?ref=mwj_sh_all_16_bs

The price is 109 now but it was $95 last week.

does “refurbished” mean they were already inside somebody else’s ear? :barf:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

:shrug: the pair I got were brand new but the package had been opened. Another person here got them as well so they could chime in with the condition theirs came in.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

they'll show up as "Steve's beats fit pro" if someone has already used them

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

:shrug: the pair I got were brand new but the package had been opened. Another person here got them as well so they could chime in with the condition theirs came in.

Mine should be delivered tomorrow. I’ll give a trip report once they are in hand.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

Don't worry, they were rubbed briefly by a spare kleenex or shirt sleeve and blown on briefly before being repackaged.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Thank you for the recommendations. I'm going with the Elgin earbuds and still looking at different over ear options, if nothing else I will probably get the Status Flagship if they go on sale.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
How do the Sennheiser HD560s stack up these days? I swap around multiple devices between a pair of Logitech G Pro wired headphones (they’re… fine, but not super comfortable) and some Arctis 3 headphones (cheaper feeling and sounding) and kind of want to step up into a nicer pair of headphones that would be used between listening to music and gaming, though mostly gaming.

Whenever I see Sennheisers recommended, it’s usually the 598s or 650s, but the 560s are more in my price range.

I don’t need or want noise canceling. My needs are sounds good, lasts a long time, wired, over the ear but comfortable with glasses and a removable cable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They're very well regarded and are almost always on the list of entry level open back recommendations.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would anyone be able to recommend me some headphones?

What I'm looking for:
  • Over ear
  • Closed back (specifically so I don't bother people who aren't me in public/at work)
  • BASS BOOSTED
  • Wired, but with the option to go wireless

Finally, I'd rather stay under $100, if possible.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

That Old Ganon posted:

Would anyone be able to recommend me some headphones?

What I'm looking for:
  • Over ear
  • Closed back (specifically so I don't bother people who aren't me in public/at work)
  • BASS BOOSTED
  • Wired, but with the option to go wireless

Finally, I'd rather stay under $100, if possible.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

How do the Sennheiser HD560s stack up these days? I swap around multiple devices between a pair of Logitech G Pro wired headphones (they’re… fine, but not super comfortable) and some Arctis 3 headphones (cheaper feeling and sounding) and kind of want to step up into a nicer pair of headphones that would be used between listening to music and gaming, though mostly gaming.

Whenever I see Sennheisers recommended, it’s usually the 598s or 650s, but the 560s are more in my price range.

I don’t need or want noise canceling. My needs are sounds good, lasts a long time, wired, over the ear but comfortable with glasses and a removable cable.

They sound really good, but are not that comfortable for me. I have a very large head though, so your experience might be different.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

They sound really good, but are not that comfortable for me. I have a very large head though, so your experience might be different.

Ahhh, I am bigheaded as well. I would be buying from Amazon so at least it’s an easy return if I go this route.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Ahhh, I am bigheaded as well. I would be buying from Amazon so at least it’s an easy return if I go this route.

If you can return them, great. I can use mine to listen for an hour or so, then my jaw starts hurting like hell

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I guess I'll try these again, but from a different seller :shrug:

My first ones were bad and would act like they had a bad jack even though they were wireless.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

They're super not comfortable for me with glasses.

Still to find something that beats the AKG K240 style headband in comfort. Always looking, though.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

So I'm going to be traveling soon. Does anyone have any recommendations for headphones that are:
  • Over-ear
  • Closed back
  • Noise cancelling
  • Wireless, but also has a wired option
  • <$100 but I can go a little higher if I need to.

It's going to be used for listening to an iPhone/iPad, a laptop, and probably the inflight tv.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
No specific recommendations apart from making sure you focus on comfort. So if you can buy from a store with demo models to try on that would be ideal.

Don't forget an airplane adaptor, probably sold seperately.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Quick initial feedback for the Beats Fit Pro after five minutes of use. Just got home from a trip so too tired to do anything else. I’ll do a deeper dive tomorrow:

Box came from woot with minor wear, but everything inside was like new or completely untouched. Feature set, including ANC, is exactly the same as the AirPod Pros. They fit wonderfully and don’t fall out from a heavy shake test. The Pros did.

The initial thought is very, very positive. I think these are better than the Pros when you factor in the battery life is much longer.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Planar IEM wars are kicking up a notch yet again, Crinacle has a collab with 7Hz on a new planar set for $99.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah they finally revealed that the Dioko everyone's been hyping about for the last month or so is their Crinacle collab. If it's even half as good as the Timeless on a technical level (the FR graph's already been posted on Crin's discord) I'll probably end up buying it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk_D1nDwv30

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Please don't post sharur videos in here, that person is a psychotic troll who believes they can hear an IEM through the graph. They do this for every single thing Crinacle does, they have some weird obsession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the battery life on my WF-1000XM3s dipped below ~90 minutes so i overnighted a pair of the XM4s via Prime without checking to see if it was easy to replace the XM3 battery. turns out it is VERY easy and under $20 in parts so now i have a noticeable improvement in mid and upper range sound quality and my small-eared gf doesn’t have to wear her WH-1000XM3s to the gym anymore.

the XM4s require normal to larger ears for real, however. the charging case is way smaller, tho, so easier to stuff in a pocket when traveling.