Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It's a summer event by Bendis, yeah judging by previous horrible track records this will be a wonderful clusterfuck. Considering how fluid time travel and future predicting has been in the 616 Nu and old it seems kinda super pointless. And Steve being on a side that even hints at being some kind of thought police restricting freedom seems WAY out of character. But again, Bendis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's no way Marvel is going to put who their hope will be their star woman hero on a side that has anything but a questionable moral stance. Plus her side is full of people that are solidly people who do the right thing. Though Bucky is there. Iron Man does have both Falcon Cap and Thor, so i doubt either side is going to be just straight up wrong in any way.

Though is that the Punisher on Carol's side?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

"Nooo Frank stop agreeing with me you're making me look crazy!"

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

twistedmentat posted:

There's no way Marvel is going to put who their hope will be their star woman hero on a side that has anything but a questionable moral stance. Plus her side is full of people that are solidly people who do the right thing. Though Bucky is there. Iron Man does have both Falcon Cap and Thor, so i doubt either side is going to be just straight up wrong in any way.

Though is that the Punisher on Carol's side?

I just don't trust a big crossover event to have the nuance to tackle this kinda topic. And precog stories in pop fiction never paint the ones using it as being the good guys.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

so i doubt either side is going to be just straight up wrong in any way.

The original Civil War was supposed to be an interesting thought experiment where neither side was really wrong ("Superheroes need to be held accountable for their actions" vs. "Forcing super-folks to reveal their identities is hosed up" is an interesting debate on a very basic level) but we all know how that turned out. Somebody, either Bendis or some other writer on a tie-in, is gonna eventually, maybe even by accident, write one side as awful and wrong and the other as good.

Or maybe halfway through the event everything's gonna go crazy like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and both sides will have to set aside their differences and fight Cyborg Nick Fury to save the planet.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 19, 2016

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TwoPair posted:

The original Civil War was supposed to be an interesting thought experiment where neither side was really wrong ("Superheroes need to be held accountable for their actions" vs. "Forcing super-folks to reveal their identities is hosed up" is an interesting debate on a very basic level) but we all know how that turned out. Somebody, either Bendis or some other writer on a tie-in, is gonna eventually, maybe even by accident, write one side as awful and wrong and the other as good.

Or maybe halfway through the event everything's gonna go crazy like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and both sides will have to set aside their differences and fight Cyborg Nick Fury to save the planet.

Putting pocket change on the third party hail mary being the precognative person foreseeing the whole debacle and is using heroes fighting heroes to take over the world/pull the heist/*badguy action here*

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Marvel doesn't have a bad book (there's a few that aren't great) to their name right now, so I'm going to have faith that they'll do something good with Civil War 2.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 19, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What are the great Marvel books right now? I'm out of the loop and instead I'm reading terrible X-Books.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

Marvel doesn't have a bad book (there's a few that aren't great) to their name right now, so I'm going to have faith that they'll do something good with Civil War 2.

They have all of the X-Men.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LordPants posted:

What are the great Marvel books right now? I'm out of the loop and instead I'm reading terrible X-Books.

Vision. Read Vision.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Civil War II will be better then Civil War but that is a bar so low it sits within the molten core of the earth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read Inhumans instead of X-Men.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goddamn movie synergy.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Last time Bendis did anything with time travel we were given Age of Ultron, AND the X-Men exclusive event Battle for the Atom. Both were abysmal.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Aphrodite posted:

They have all of the X-Men.

Uncanny X-Men and Extraordinary X-Men are the only Marvel books I've heard complaints about.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

No the real question is which side is the first one to be written as a bunch of awful out-of-character dicks whose entire argument is invalidated by their horrible actions during the event, since it's gonna loving happen and it'll be awful and goddammit why are we doing this again WHEW sorry I kinda went off on a tear there. I'm gonna guess... Captain Marvel's side, since thoughtcrime is hard to rationalize, and everybody's expecting Tony to come out as a cackling villain, so why do it twice.

Because Bendis is a hack who should have moved on from Marvel after Civil War rather than making GBS threads out scripts that pad what any competent writer could do in four pages into a full issue, ignore continuity and characterisation done by anyone else, and wouldn't know 'nuance' or 'subtlety' if they bit his dick off?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Putting pocket change on the third party hail mary being the precognative person foreseeing the whole debacle and is using heroes fighting heroes to take over the world/pull the heist/*badguy action here*

Bendis ripping off the Judge Child (a 36-year-old classic Judge Dredd story) would at least be different...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not really a Bendis hater, I think most of his series have been fine, if largely very, very average, but all his events have been loving dire.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

LordPants posted:

Get Marvel Unlimited and you can read all the books at a 3 to 6 month delay.

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not really a Bendis hater, I think most of his series have been fine, if largely very, very average, but all his events have been loving dire.

Yeah they are. I thought Secret Invasion was so bad that only Marvel books I read afterward were Punisher: War Journal, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thunderbolts. Siege was bad enough that I dropped all Marvel until I found out about Unlimited.
To be fair, I have never real cared for BMB. His events are real bad though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Superstring posted:

Yeah I don't have a good feeling about this. Carol's getting some good momentum and a movie is, in theory, coming. Don't really need for her to take the fall as a war criminal.

Least we forget Tony was the front man for the First Civil War. Came out of it (arguably ) looking like the bad guy back in 2005/2006.

Then two years later he gets his movie where Robert Downey Jr. Turns him into a worldwide icon, and Civil War is used to show that Ironman is a nuanced character with different stories.

I guess they are doing the same thing for Carol.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

LordPants posted:

My favorites: Thor, The Ultimates, Vision, Doctor Strange, Iron Man

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
The Ultimates split is the most interesting takeaway to me, and could move their story forward. Makes sense that Blue Marvel and Monica would go with Carol, but it looks like this is where Miss America puts her foot down against them, and Black Panther takes her side.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DigitalRaven posted:

Because Bendis is a hack who should have moved on from Marvel after Civil War rather than making GBS threads out scripts that pad what any competent writer could do in four pages into a full issue, ignore continuity and characterisation done by anyone else, and wouldn't know 'nuance' or 'subtlety' if they bit his dick off?

Bendis ripping off the Judge Child (a 36-year-old classic Judge Dredd story) would at least be different...

Bendis did not write civil war

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DigitalRaven posted:

I usually don't say "quit gettin' mad about comic books" but jeez dude

also, what bobkatt said

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Secret Invasion makes me sad. It was the thing all of Bendis' New Avengers was building up to, and in the end it was just stupid and ended with a giant fist fight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Bendis did not write civil war

Every time. It's like clockwork. People will always blame Bendis for things they didn't like he didn't work on.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Bendis writes really fuckin' bad events, though. He even writes really bad events that are contained to his own books.

He is a consistently disappointing writer. No one should feel anything but dread at the prospect of him writing Civil War II.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Invincible Iron Man has been pretty good, but ehhh...other than that...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Ultimate spider-man, daredevil, new avengers, powers, old man Logan, alias
99.9% of big events sucks. You even have Fraction writing one that was so bad that Bendis's look amazing in comparasion

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 19, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You definitely have a point in that events by their nature tend to be bad because of editorial bullshit and writer miscommunication, but Fraction is pretty terrible too, so that doesn't say much.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

WickedHate posted:

I like him on single characters a lot. His team stuff falls apart.

I feel like he has problems writing in diffrent voices when his rosters get large.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
aka the Whedon Effect.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Except for how it's 40 years older than he is, I guess.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey. Geoff Jones is inexplicably writing a really entertaining DC event right now. Same could just happen to happen here!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey. Geoff Jones is inexplicably writing a really entertaining DC event right now. Same could just happen to happen here!

I will accept this event if Tony or Carol float around in a magic chair throughout the whole thing like Batman has been.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Except for how it's 40 years older than he is, I guess.

I don't really think that was something you needed to go out of your way to cut me up on, but okay, man.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's key ingredient is that everything is ignoring the JLA Gods, this will be the biyearly status shake up that discourages the budding fans with plot line interruptions and pointless tie-ins.

How the hell is anyone new supposed to stay in comics when every loving six months "EVERYTHING CHANGES FOREVER! ™®©"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'll say it until the heat death of the universe: Every single comic needs to be published with each storyline as a mini series, 90s Venom style.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think Bendis writes good events, he just can't ever land the finish because he always has to lead into the next event. Sometimes that's a good thing like Dark Reign but even when the new status quo is good, he just glosses over the wrap up of the old event. It's been a problem in comics for a while, maybe post event issues do poor sales or something unless they are part of a big new story, but I like wrapups and wish there were more of them. Like back in the 90s post X-Cuitioner's Song the crossovers all had a post event issue where everyone was managing the fallout. Made the event feel much bigger when it's effects are felt for at least an issue afterwards and not casually brought up 10 issues later as a precursor to the next big event.

I'm pretty sure reading this forum everyone was mostly into Secret Invasion until the final issue. People still talk about how cool the first couple issues of Siege were. Even back before I started reading this forum and he did Disassembled, the guys at my comic store were really into it until it turned out to be Wanda going crazy. House of M I guess people there weren't really into because nobody bought it as anything that mattered beyond.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I remember Siege as being pretty good. People were mainly just mad at how the Sentry went down. Secret Invasion just had pacing issues, but wasn't too bad. Same with House of M. Age of Ultron was bad though.

So I think Bendis has hit more than he's missed on event comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also X-Cutioner's Song gave us Xavier rollerblading with Jubilee so for as bad as it is, its existence is strongly justified.

• Locked thread