Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Xander77 posted:

This, but unironically.

Same. I never get tired of Archie Out of Context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Archie out of context and Archie in context are both good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They're not out of context, almost every single one is a bad edit. It's really stupid and annoying.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Check out these hilarious out of context Archie panels I found! LOL!

The writers didn't realize the double meaning lmao!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
are those supposed to not be funny

did you somehow fail at not being funny

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Check out these hilarious out of context Archie panels I found! LOL!

Those are pretty drat funny. The surfboard even looks like a penis.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

This one is the only disappointment. A real missed opportunity with the shop sign.

Please do a proper job representing Pop's Soda & Penis. TIA.

EDIT: For whatever reason, I have a soft spot for the concept of Magnus, Robot fighter. Just a dude in a manskirt karate chopping old timey sci-fi robots.

He just said it was hate, get it right lady.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 7, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Section Z posted:

This one is the only disappointment. A real missed opportunity with the shop sign.

EDIT: For whatever reason, I have a soft spot for the concept of Magnus, Robot fighter. Just a dude in a manskirt karate chopping old timey sci-fi robots.

Didn't the guy who did Magnus have a real tragic story in real life?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

Don't sass Hatebot, lady, that's how you get transmogrified into a great soft lump of jelly that feels only anguish

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Out of context funny is fine. Don't post edits though. And try and source your panels. If you can't source it then you better at least search and make sure it's not an edit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Magnus was great, and had the best sound effects.

Magnus Robot Fighter v1 #16, 1967

SPLANG

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Finally, a penis that actually looks like mine.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I assume, in general, that if I can't source a panel and it's from a confectioner's selection of panels on some blog, then it's almost certainly an edit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

are those supposed to not be funny

did you somehow fail at not being funny

No, they were just supposed to be blatantly fake. Obviously I was giggling as I made them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

X-O posted:

Out of context funny is fine. Don't post edits though. And try and source your panels. If you can't source it then you better at least search and make sure it's not an edit.

Do we have an edit thread?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

flosofl posted:

Didn't the guy who did Magnus have a real tragic story in real life?

Russ Manning? No, he had a pretty successful career as an artist AFAIK. He did, however, die relatively young (52) of cancer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Selachian posted:

Russ Manning? No, he had a pretty successful career as an artist AFAIK. He did, however, die relatively young (52) of cancer.

Turns out I was thinking of Fletcher Hanks (who died frozen and penniless in a park). I read Magnus, Robot Fighter and somehow turned that into The Super Wizard, Stardust in my broken brain.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

flosofl posted:

Turns out I was thinking of Fletcher Hanks (who died frozen and penniless in a park). I read Magnus, Robot Fighter and somehow turned that into The Super Wizard, Stardust in my broken brain.

Yeah but, by all accounts, Fletcher Hanks was a real big piece of poo poo.

I did always love how mad this head was though.

Edit: I got my story mixed up this is just one guy.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone brought back the genre of "Super-rear end in a top hat Punishes Criminals in horrific ways" in the modern era?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Has anyone brought back the genre of "Super-rear end in a top hat Punishes Criminals in horrific ways" in the modern era?

Ennis?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Im pretty sure the nomenclature is 'vapists'

Bless you for this knowledge my friend.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Closest would be Mike Fleischer's Spectre back in the '70s.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think the Punisher video game promised that, but I don't know if it delivered.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I always love how mildly put-out Destructo looks over the whole thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dareon posted:

I think the Punisher video game promised that, but I don't know if it delivered.

There's a wood chipper scene.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Zore posted:

Ennis?

Mostly lacking the Super part, as far as I know. It's an important bit.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

There's a wood chipper scene.

And you impale a guy on a rhinos horn. You kill a guy on a museums display of a sacrificial altar, and watch the blood flow down. Game was real brutal. I think you could feed a guy into a circular saw.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Stop it!

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Closest would be Mike Fleischer's Spectre back in the '70s.

There was also a 90s series, which has gems like this:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

It's worth noting that's true of the earliest Spectre stories as well

Honestly having read entirely too much of the character I think it's fair to say he oscillates wildly depending on the author and era. After the weird 80s revival I think they finally dumped any notion of having him not kill the poo poo out of his targets (with some notable exceptions in the Ostrander run by which I mean the Joker and, yes, he was therefore immune to the literal wrath of God by reason of insanity back in the 90s. Comics!).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SomeMathGuy posted:

It's worth noting that's true of the earliest Spectre stories as well

IIRC it was a way of killing people without -technically- killing people, but that explanation seems strange when you consider how balls crazy and bloodthirsty the Golden Age was, and would make more sense if the Spectre was a Silver Age character.

SomeMathGuy posted:

(with some notable exceptions in the Ostrander run by which I mean the Joker and, yes, he was therefore immune to the literal wrath of God by reason of insanity back in the 90s. Comics!).

Which is quite possibly the single dumbest "why doesn't x just do y" explanation ever. Listen, you don't think about why Superman doesn't solve all of Batman's problems in a nanosecond because it'd barely even count as an inconvenience for him, you just don't think about it.

Although that sort of thinking did give us this pretty cool scene from Green Arrow/Black Canary:

Don't think about the logic of that either, okay?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Too late, the :bahgawd:-ers are already on their way.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

dont even fink about it posted:

Do we have an edit thread?

Used to. Think it fell into archives.

ED: eeeyup:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748090

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Although that sort of thinking did give us this pretty cool scene from Green Arrow/Black Canary:

Don't think about the logic of that either, okay?

I rather like that scene.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Right, to be clear, I was using it as a good example of examining contrived reasons for why being in a shared universe isn't totally broken and invokes it. Also, I always thought it was from Kevin Smith's Green Arrow, but I guess not.

Content! From an issue of Saga which I hope everyone is reading:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 8, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can tell kevin smith didn't write it by how it is a good scene

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

And you impale a guy on a rhinos horn. You kill a guy on a museums display of a sacrificial altar, and watch the blood flow down. Game was real brutal. I think you could feed a guy into a circular saw.

You could chrome a dude in a chopshop, run them through a license plate stamping machine, feed them to giant gears, run them through an industrial sausage maker, a drill press, and a bunch of other stuff.

Volition had to add a score system and detract points when you did this, and cut the VFX, and cut the camera away from a bunch of them in order to release without the AO rating they got on their first ESRB submission.

The game is actually pretty decent for the time, too. It had a quick kill button that felt great, too - basically in melee range you could push this and it would insta-kill anyone with a bunch of stylish moves, including the stuff-a-nade-in-the-mouth-and-kick-them-away.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

I'd love it more if Ollie had a Superman signal arrow. The best trick arrow.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'd love it more if Ollie had a Superman signal arrow. The best trick arrow.

It's just a whistling arrow that goes "CLAAARRRRRK!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jerusalem posted:

Is he Destructo or De Structo?

Also, I love the Superiority Beam. :smuggo: