Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Axelgear posted:

The biggest let-down is that point in your life when you realize that conspiracy theories are rare; not because there aren't powerful and shadowy forces trying to rule the world, but because the elite don't really... Need them. If you can already monopolize political and economic power and enjoy the benefits of a systemic advantage where wealth is self-propagating, why on Earth would you bother going to the owl god blood orgy every new moon?

If the Bohemian grove is any indicator, at the high end it's mostly an excuse to get drunk and have sex with hookers in the woods. And to be honest, from personal experience I know a few important fellas join these groups as much to have a place where they don't have to be a big cheese and can relax in relative privacy with likeminded people. So if it takes an owl God blood orgy, bring on the barbed whips and the ceremonial jerkin' plate.

As for a good source, I might actually write some stuff up from an impartial - alright, as impartial as a self-deluded wizard Freemason can get - while I dig for stuff for my upcoming conspiracy-themed game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
That'd be cool. My last internet dive turned up a screed about "Satanic Safaris", and how you can use secret codes and drugs to get street corner tarot readers to hunt you and try and make you join their cult, so it's totally okay to poison them. It just isn't fun to read that kind of stuff.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Axelgear posted:

Yeah, I never really got that, myself. The idea that there's an all-powerful shadowy network that will kill you as a political tool doesn't really strike me as more comforting than the idea that there's a modestly powerful shadowy network that will kill you as a political tool.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand wanting to personify villainous forces for other things, like the economy taking a downturn or the economic system you live under (or life in general) being fundamentally unfair. That gives you something - someone - to blame for things that are otherwise faceless and difficult for a monkeybrain to deal with. It's honestly heartbreaking to see some fundamentalists who believe in a coming Satanic New World Order talk in really pained and agonized terms about wanting to see some blessed Olam HaBa, because they're just expressing universal human pains in the only context they can make of it. Feeling like there's some cause that you can actively work against is a bulwark for the soul.

you solved your first paragraph with the second. satan and the illuminati and similar evil conspiracies are comforting because they propose a single cause for misery that can be understood and opposed and theoretically overcome. misery with no clearly identifiable cause is worse because it is inescapable.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Fredric Jameson's "Totality as Conspiracy" was a big influence in my understanding of conspiracies and people's belief in them; basically, the comfort in believing there's a conspiracy controlling everything isn't that it makes you safer or gives you something to blame, but the idea that someone can understand all of the complex globalized world enough to control it in the first place. Some sort of order, even if it's malevolent, is preferable to uncontrolled chaos.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I need to make a correction to my post on my current hunter game.

It's not Assassin Yetis
It's Assassin Sasquatches, or as they call them "Assassquatches"

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Axelgear posted:

Yeah, I never really got that, myself. The idea that there's an all-powerful shadowy network that will kill you as a political tool doesn't really strike me as more comforting than the idea that there's a modestly powerful shadowy network that will kill you as a political tool.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand wanting to personify villainous forces for other things, like the economy taking a downturn or the economic system you live under (or life in general) being fundamentally unfair. That gives you something - someone - to blame for things that are otherwise faceless and difficult for a monkeybrain to deal with. It's honestly heartbreaking to see some fundamentalists who believe in a coming Satanic New World Order talk in really pained and agonized terms about wanting to see some blessed Olam HaBa, because they're just expressing universal human pains in the only context they can make of it. Feeling like there's some cause that you can actively work against is a bulwark for the soul.

That to me, though, feels like a decidedly different beast.

In a nut shell, the comfort comes from the idea that the act is part of a large scale, logical plan. If one can understand that logic, they can either see the acts before they happen (and protect themselves from the fallout) or stop the acts completely by defeating the conspiracy.

The alternative is the far more terrifying prospect that a random nut job with no real plan other than "kill a bunch of people" can kill you and everyone you love at literally any moment with no real warning.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I need to make a correction to my post on my current hunter game.

It's not Assassin Yetis
It's Assassin Sasquatches, or as they call them "Assassquatches"

:drat: That's amazing.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ferrinus posted:

If you think a cabal of bloodsucking lizard people rules the world at our expense at twenty, you have no heart. If you don't think a cabal of bloodsucking lizard people rules the world at our expense at thirty, you have no brain.
Usually because you had your brain eaten.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

RandallODim posted:

:drat: That's amazing.

I am the one playing Agent Lakewood, the conspiracy nut of VASCU who devised the Assassquatches. And I tell ya, the CIA has been secretly training and rounding up the perfect assassins, SASQUATCHES. Think about it- They're never caught clearly on film, those who witness them are written off as crazy, their footprints are always mistaken for bears. CONNECT THE DOTS SHEEPLE.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Joan Ocean is the codename of their CIA handler.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Axelgear posted:

The biggest let-down is that point in your life when you realize that conspiracy theories are rare; not because there aren't powerful and shadowy forces trying to rule the world, but because the elite don't really... Need them. If you can already monopolize political and economic power and enjoy the benefits of a systemic advantage where wealth is self-propagating, why on Earth would you bother going to the owl god blood orgy every new moon?

It's like finding out the presents under the tree are really from your parents; you still get the exact same outcome, but some of the magic is gone.

If we're on the topic, though, conspiracies and cults are kind of my jam, so if anyone can recommend some good inspirational sources - preferably internet accessible ones that I could, say, browse while waiting in line - I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm always looking for new material to inform Mage cults or the Ladder's cryptopoly, but searching for a database on the matter has been hard. Most aren't "Hey, here is what some people actually believe", but rather actual conspiracy theories, and those tend to get uncomfortable and sad.

Astonishing Legends tends to cover conspiracy theories critically, while not verging into "lots of digs at clearly mentally ill people".

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Quantumfate posted:

I am the one playing Agent Lakewood, the conspiracy nut of VASCU who devised the Assassquatches. And I tell ya, the CIA has been secretly training and rounding up the perfect assassins, SASQUATCHES. Think about it- They're never caught clearly on film, those who witness them are written off as crazy, their footprints are always mistaken for bears. CONNECT THE DOTS SHEEPLE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMm1YTd8lHM

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Speaking of conspiracy theories, sometime over the weekend the guy in the apartment next door put stick-on letters on his window that read "MK ULTRA"

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
He must be a master at Mortal Kombat Ultra.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think the other major lack of lustre on conspiracy theories is that people do bad subterfuge poo poo all the time and mostly nobody cares. In a world where the tuskgee syphilis experiment happened, why'd you need to bring in aliens to make people be monsters?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I'm the guy who is able to accurately perceive that our current system lets a certain class of people exert incredible power over the politics and the media but is only able to notice that some of them are Jewish rather than the actual common factor all such people really share (they're all rich).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

spectralent posted:

I think the other major lack of lustre on conspiracy theories is that people do bad subterfuge poo poo all the time and mostly nobody cares. In a world where the tuskgee syphilis experiment happened, why'd you need to bring in aliens to make people be monsters?

It's just the opposite, you externalize and personify evil so that people can be heroes.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I suppose it depends on if you're looking at them as sincere belief models or as a form of entertainment - the John Oliver 'fairytales adults tell each other on youtube' model. Even within the conspiracy world, there's a lot of people there just because it's fun stuff to shoot the poo poo about, albeit sometimes dangerous if you wind up shooting too much poo poo with a seriously ill person and encouraging their delusions.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Astonishing Legends tends to cover conspiracy theories critically, while not verging into "lots of digs at clearly mentally ill people".

Looks interesting. I just got done with LORE, so I was needing something new that wasn't waiting for the next Revolutions ep to drop.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
The other day as I was reading up about the early days of the space race where they were sending up animals, it struck me that would be a really good cover for Earth's occultist to get a guardian spirit into Earth orbit to guard against alien spirit entities. So now I'm fixated on a ilthum of lunes that are just spirits from Earth's hisil that went up, saw the monsters out there and decided they were going to stick around and kick rear end. I'm also seriously contemplating working out how to do Werewolves in SPAAACE!!!

Also, the fact that some of the Russian dogs survived reentry and later went on to have puppies is another great place to mine things to throw in the path of a pack.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I understand, conspiracy theories are fascinating because they're the closest thing the United States has developed to it's own unique religion.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I understand, conspiracy theories are fascinating because they're the closest thing the United States has developed to it's own unique religion.

Um excuse me our unique religion is called Football :colbert:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Slimnoid posted:

Um excuse me our unique religion is called Football :colbert:

That's American Football, I think you'll find that the other football religion is much more menacing.

Our guys don't tend to riot on the reg compared to theirs.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
This 9/11 conspiracy theory is a good example of when the result of paranoia and paredolia is amazing. From totally unrelated text messages and automated signals, someone assembled a baller heist plot that would be perfectly at home in Demon.

9/11 Truth is one of those broad conspiracy themes I find fairly distasteful, myself, but this is the kind of stuff that's amazing to mine from for games, stories, or poetry.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If anybody's interested in an nHunter game, we've got two slots open in our Thursday Discord game, around 5-8 PM on Thursdays as it stands. Two slots open, check the OP and applyherein if you're interested.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kavak posted:

I thought Delta Green leaned more on the "ALIENS!!1!" side of things, which while being extremely outdated wasn't that racist (Except the reptilians stuff).

There's also Conspiracy X, which leaned really hard into ALIENS?!?! but also featured the occult and psychic powers as something everybody kind of has at a low level. I always liked their explanation for the Greys. On Greyworld everything is psychic and evolution basically took the course of selecting for psychic powers and not for physical or intellectual strength because the trump card for an organization on Greyworld is psychically dominating a prey organism into walking up to the predator to be eaten. Greys don't give off any of the psychic static human beings do (which manifests as hunches, empathy, etc), but when humans evolved and developed psi, humanity's naturally unfocused psychic powers hosed up Greyworld bad because there is zero attenuation due to distance with psi, even at galactic distances. Every Grey basically has the psychic equivalent of a bunch of people following you around and yelling in your ear all the loving time. They hate humanity but don't really want to wipe us out since it would take massive resources and time they're not sure they have, so instead they're genetically engineering Grey-dolphin-human crossbreeds ("Blues") in hopes of silencing the psychic static and saving their species.

There's also the Saurians (Saurials? Are those the D&D guys like Dragonbait?), who are the survivors of an interplanetary dinosaur civilization that got stuck in a time bubble just past Pluto hundreds of millions of years ago and are completely baffled as to where their society and species went and how these primates got here.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Pope Guilty posted:

There's also Conspiracy X, which leaned really hard into ALIENS?!?! but also featured the occult and psychic powers as something everybody kind of has at a low level. I always liked their explanation for the Greys. On Greyworld everything is psychic and evolution basically took the course of selecting for psychic powers and not for physical or intellectual strength because the trump card for an organization on Greyworld is psychically dominating a prey organism into walking up to the predator to be eaten. Greys don't give off any of the psychic static human beings do (which manifests as hunches, empathy, etc), but when humans evolved and developed psi, humanity's naturally unfocused psychic powers hosed up Greyworld bad because there is zero attenuation due to distance with psi, even at galactic distances. Every Grey basically has the psychic equivalent of a bunch of people following you around and yelling in your ear all the loving time. They hate humanity but don't really want to wipe us out since it would take massive resources and time they're not sure they have, so instead they're genetically engineering Grey-dolphin-human crossbreeds ("Blues") in hopes of silencing the psychic static and saving their species.

There's also the Saurians (Saurials? Are those the D&D guys like Dragonbait?), who are the survivors of an interplanetary dinosaur civilization that got stuck in a time bubble just past Pluto hundreds of millions of years ago and are completely baffled as to where their society and species went and how these primates got here.

This reminds me of Out of the Violent Planet which is like this but the opposite: Humans are the only alien to have NO psychic ability whatsoever. Which incidentally makes us immune to psychic mind control. In a universe where the be-all-end-all of war is psychically dominating your opponent and where no one ever bothered to develop weaponry or classic war at all, really, humans are now the most effective weapon. They can just walk up to a random psychic alien and shoot them in the face. And since the alien never bothered to develop weaponry or armor or tactics or anything warlike at all, it's really piss easy to do. And since they're aliens, for the most part we humans don't feel much regret about it. So humanity is used as interstellar psychopath mercenaries.

The setting was written by Greg Stolze and released free for all after a fundraising Kickstarter:

http://www.gregstolze.com/reign/REIGN_ViPlan.zip

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

This would actually slot perfectly into Delta Green as well.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm slowly messing around coming up with various mysteries for my players, and goddamn I can't wait for Signs of Sorcery to be released. Every Monday Meeting notes that don't show it moving closer to release are a Monday Meeting notes that make me sad.

Edit: I'm also reading Tim Powers' 'Last Call', which is Mage as gently caress. I'm gonna be well prepared for this game even if it kills me or drives me insane.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 11, 2017

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Basic Chunnel posted:

If anybody's interested in an nHunter game, we've got two slots open in our Thursday Discord game, around 5-8 PM on Thursdays as it stands. Two slots open, check the OP and applyherein if you're interested.

This sounds interesting, and something I can probably make if those times are in MST. (I work until 5:30 EST) I have to run to work, but I'll brainstorm a bit and see if I can't come up with something.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Basic Chunnel posted:

It would be the night I have class, wouldn't it? Oh well.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cantorsdust posted:

This reminds me of Out of the Violent Planet which is like this but the opposite: Humans are the only alien to have NO psychic ability whatsoever.
The setting was written by Greg Stolze and released free for all after a fundraising Kickstarter:

http://www.gregstolze.com/reign/REIGN_ViPlan.zip

That setting was actually written by Alan Dean Foster as the Damned trilogy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Damned_Trilogy

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Basic Chunnel posted:

I am so down.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I've looked to no avail. Is there an online, editable Hunter sheet so we can hit save and load it onto Slack? There's that one site that lets you store character sheets and edit them online but they're all from 1st ed nWoD.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So i may be starting a Mage campaign in the vague-timeframe future. Just as a purely hypothetical question, as all my players are staunch, freedom loving Order mage types, does anyone have experience in running a mixed Seer/Order cabal or just campaign? Or any advice for running a game where one party member is an undercover agent of the Exarchs?

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

The closest I've come to ever having Seer PCs was a solo mortals game in which the PC was a Sleepwalker assassin, blessed ("blessed") by the Eye, working for a Seer cult.

It was actually surprisingly fun. It centred heavily on ideas of faith and the Best of All Possible Worlds argument. Seers don't have to all be douchebags.

cptn_dr posted:

I'm slowly messing around coming up with various mysteries for my players, and goddamn I can't wait for Signs of Sorcery to be released. Every Monday Meeting notes that don't show it moving closer to release are a Monday Meeting notes that make me sad.

You and me both. I totally forgot to even check until you mentioned it because the lack of change makes me sad.

(And, yeah, I know it's getting worked on behind the scenes but perceptions, y'know?)

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

You forgot that a subsect of the Saurian population survived the big rear end Saurian nuclear war and hid on Earth while humanity developed/was created by the alien Atlanteans. Said group of Saurians learned to tap into the Seepage to enter into people's dreams and try to keep the world stable. Con-X had a reaaaaally good setting.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Tasoth posted:

You forgot that a subsect of the Saurian population survived the big rear end Saurian nuclear war and hid on Earth while humanity developed/was created by the alien Atlanteans. Said group of Saurians learned to tap into the Seepage to enter into people's dreams and try to keep the world stable. Con-X had a reaaaaally good setting.

I'm always amazed when people know it because I read a bunch of the books but literally nobody I ever tried to get to play it had heard of it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Welp, I'm now actually working out a methodology for sorting conspiracy theories into categories of 'realness' (as in, is it actually real, is it outright impossible, is it just very implausible, or is it a blurring of real and possibilities), category (UFOs, NWO, Nazis) and meta-characteristics (Millenialist, Eschatological, Anti-Establishmentarianist, KGB-created, etc) so I guess that once the project is done I'm just going to wind up trying to do for conspiracy theories what Frazer did for their ancestor, and which someone else has probably already done infinitely better (like say, Walker)

Loomer fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

I think i figured out how to run Demon based on reading this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it appropriate to run it like a heist game, with the added caveat that you can't trust anyone because they might be Cultists, Angels or Integrators? That's the current plan.