Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

Today I learned people get really pissy if you dare to talk on the general chat. Or any chat.

There is a direct link to the ability to talk in games and that games toxicity level, someday we will finally be silenced and freed from the tyranny of toxicity, praise be to lyte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Dizz posted:

"need a healer"

Soldier 76 is a healer :colbert:

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

This is... fantastic.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

gandlethorpe posted:

i need an adult healer

I AM AN ADULT HEALER

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

iroguebot posted:

This is... fantastic.

D.Va is basically drawn two different ways: Hottie mech pilot, and tiny trash goblin

edit: I got the legendary skin I wanted for Zenyatta out of a lootbox! :toot: :dance:

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Bad goons streaming: https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Macaluso posted:

D.Va is basically drawn two different ways: Hottie mech pilot, and tiny trash goblin
What her #brand is

What you actually get

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

Nothing will ever deter pub funhavers from playing the character they like. They could cut his damage in half across the board and people would still play him because he's a cool cyborg cowboy. The pro-tier funhaters is where you'll see specific characters never getting played, because those people don't see the aesthetics, they only see numbers like dps and hp and model size and sight lines and their robot brain crunches them and spits out 'MUST PLAY CLASS X FOR 0.002% WIN INCREASE BEEP BOOP'

In competitive play McCree will still see more use than heroes with equal DPS, health and hitboxes because his hat falls off when he dies, partly obscuring the enemy's view of the rest of your team.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Minorkos posted:

today i landed the perfect zarya ult on the enemy team but then someone in my discord group blocked them off with a mei wall, so i screamed incoherently like a chimpanzee for the entire duration of the ice wall

Next time, politely inform your Mei that she can make her Ice Wall disappear instantly by pressing the ability button again. She doesn't have to wait it out - she can dismiss it at any time.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I've been playing McCree a lot since the nerf and he's still really powerful. I've got my mouse sensitivity dialed in and am averaging like 50% accuracy in games. It's also fun to flashbang + lmb their head and instakill

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Today our Mei kept walling me outside the objective area with two or more enemies getting me killed. Yeah, you're really helping Mei.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Everyone is counting on her

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Grammaton posted:

Today our Mei kept walling me outside the objective area with two or more enemies getting me killed. Yeah, you're really helping Mei.

Did you post into the wrong tab, this isn't Mei's myspace page. She does have her favorite bands on there though like Sonata Arctica and... I can't think of another one, not Coldplay.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Main Paineframe posted:

There's zero point in Mercy standing there next to a lone, shielded Reinhart. If he's shielded, then there's no point in healing or boosting him because he's neither taking nor dealing damage. If he is taking damage, then either a flanker got behind the shield or he dropped his shield, and in either case Mercy should be flying away as fast as possible.

Mercy has a gun. If you have nothing else to heal or boost, you can just shoot stuff from behind his shield. Which is probably more dps than boosting most characters anyway.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Turtle Sandbox posted:

There is a direct link to the ability to talk in games and that games toxicity level, someday we will finally be silenced and freed from the tyranny of toxicity, praise be to lyte.

I just wanted to make jokes about one guy being named godofk1ll3rs and people got mad that I was talking "too much". It wasn't even that guy, that guy was fine with it.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Today an enemy junkrat let his rip tire go and was just about to kill our entire team but the enemy mei put an ice wall and blocked it.

The junkrat insta quit

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Today an enemy junkrat let his rip tire go and was just about to kill our entire team but the enemy mei put an ice wall and blocked it.

The junkrat insta quit

That's funny, Mei wins again. So pretty much, that Junkrat didn't kill two people. Maybe that wall saved some lives, hell maybe it helped Mei and she went on to kill two people. There are so many posts complaining about Mei walls, I've got no complaints. But I also don't care if I die in the video game, Mei is the most fun character to play though.

I think if somebody can laugh at how a random Mei wall cost them their play, that's cool (pun intended). If they're genuinely complaining about it (and they sure do a lot), they are silly.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Does damage boosting someone mean genji's reflect of their shots do more damage as well?

I had a bastion skewed team last night as mercy and was wondering if damage boosting them was potentially disastrous compared to just heal beaming the whole time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
On their defense I think they got mad because I was dancing on the point as Lúcio singin' can't touch this except for the junkrat because he don't need to aim

but I don't think it was the same premade anyway

I got a Tracer to hunt me down all match long to try and prove some point in his addled mind tho. Sure, waste ult on the sole Torbjorn.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I somehow managed a 118% kill participation rate on defensive assists. No idea how that happened.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Heavy Metal posted:

Did you post into the wrong tab, this isn't Mei's myspace page. She does have her favorite bands on there though like Sonata Arctica and... I can't think of another one, not Coldplay.

Meibe.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Heavy Metal posted:

Snow Patrol.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
She's also a hip-hop fan, mostly Vanilla Ice.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
My Mei-est moment so far (and I got a POTG for it which I completely forgot to record because I'm an eedjit) was a few nights ago attacking Anubis B.
We were running out of time, decided to push from the middle and the left side at the same time; I peek from the left, pop ult, and hear a 76 triggering his.

I put a wall up in front of him while we murdered the freezing bastion camping the point, dropped it and cleared the rest of the team (including a now frozen 76) with the two guys who were with me. Team kill.

When the POTG played, someone commended me on the 76-blocking wall. It felt awesome. :D

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Dias posted:

She's also a hip-hop fan, mostly Vanilla Ice.

More like Jeezy.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

I somehow managed a 118% kill participation rate on defensive assists. No idea how that happened.

might count defensive assists seperate from offensive (pistol) assists, so i assume your team was getting stomped and you were shooting a lot and also healing the other people who were getting kills and had a few overlaps

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

This is clearly the only rap song worthy of a Mei compilation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LrHfxW4XOg

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

gandlethorpe posted:

he's a daddy, not a healer.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I got the Nordic Mercy skin last night and I will never ever use it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dizz posted:

he's a daddy, not a healer.

he has a box of bandaids with him at all times, just in case

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Indecisive posted:

might count defensive assists seperate from offensive (pistol) assists, so i assume your team was getting stomped and you were shooting a lot and also healing the other people who were getting kills and had a few overlaps

yeah that's pretty much exactly how the game was, thanks for the explanation.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Manatee Cannon posted:

he has a box of bandaids with him at all times, just in case

It's actually a can of Mtn Dew he shakes up viciously.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
In a game of Gibraltar defense I was annoyed at how lousy I played on offense (I went Widow to try and shut down their Hanzo, Bastion, and Torbjorn and missed almost all my shots) that I kinda gave up on defense and played D.Va. I got bored of dying though and switched to Symmetra I booby-trapped both ground-level exits to the hangar with a triple turret because our team actually held the enemy off inside long enough for that to work. As they were getting close to capping the hangar point, I baited a Reinhardt into following me. He was zapped by three beams, and I locked onto him with my laser chainsaw as he was struggling to retreat. Fun stuff.

I plopped 6 turrets on the bridge pillars just before the final point because the payload must pass through there, so there's no avoiding getting zapped. Many were shot, but I kept replacing them and we held them off at the last part.

Clarste posted:

Mercy has a gun. If you have nothing else to heal or boost, you can just shoot stuff from behind his shield. Which is probably more dps than boosting most characters anyway.

I had a good game as Mercy on Hollywood attack where I got a lot of kills. My favorite was I heard a McCree kill our Pharah on the tavern roof just before the entrance toe the space set studio.. I turned and looked up to keep an eye out for him. "IT'S HIGH NOON." *plink plink plink* squish. My team never even noticed, I think. Nor did they hear the Reaper who was tromping up behind us. I got him too. I didn't mind getting the play of the game, but I didn't even get that as my Highlight. Instead it was just me killing a Bastion and rezzing two people.

Another game defending Volskaya B there was a Reaper who kept trying to wraith form onto the staircase. I kept killing him. Thanks for standing still for the teleport, Reaper! I got a lot of kills that game, and a lot of assists and healing too. We eventually lost that one because of a strategically timed D.Va ult in the last few seconds to push us all off the point so they could cap.

By the way - if you're a Mercy and you hear Junkrat's tire, stop healing and either fly away, or pull out your blaster and try to shoot the tire. There's no point in trying to heal, as the tire can one-shot everyone and it'll just be steered through any shields around. I have actually killed two tires in quick succession as a Mercy once.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 16, 2016

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Is there any way to tell if you're playing against a team that's in a group?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Golem II posted:

Is there any way to tell if you're playing against a team that's in a group?

Stick around and see if almost no one switched teams on the next round. Other than that, nah. 90% of the time it's super obvious because they'll spam ults and win.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
its not really that obvious, half the time i play with such a variety of skill level in my group that youd assume we were a group of solo queuers. especially since ive never actually seen a stack that communicates any more than "ok i have my ult, lets go"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's fairly safe to assume that if the entire enemy team leaves as a group after they slaughter you, they were together. also if nobody gets balanced to your team when half of yours ragequits at the end of the round since it won't split groups up, but will balance randos. there's no way to be sure tho

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The easiest way to tell that people are in a group is that they all blame the one random guy on their team when they lose. If they're in a group they obviously are supposed to win, and they didn't, so there can be no other explanation.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Countblanc posted:

its not really that obvious, half the time i play with such a variety of skill level in my group that youd assume we were a group of solo queuers. especially since ive never actually seen a stack that communicates any more than "ok i have my ult, lets go"

Eh, there are stacks and stacks, I suppose. I play a lot with my brother and his friends and we also kinda don't bother with comms at all, plus we're fuckin' around with other classes all the time. But I feel like almost every time I think people are on voice comms I'm right because it's a level of coordination you don't see from solo queuers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think goon stacks are particularly, uh... competitively minded? so if you've been playing with them, you're not getting the full tryhard experience that can come with games against groups