Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

beejay posted:

Do either of you even know what you are talking about

They are just conflating Personal Adjustment which has been in the game since forever with Performance Based Adjustment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
The problem, as I see it, is that with PBA in place, the game can and often does talk out of both sides of its mouth. On the one hand, a player might win a very fast game and get MVP (or a relatively meaningful award on that screen), have high stats relative to others in the game - even get one one of those cheer thingies that tell you how well you did! - but then PBA tells you that, actually, you kinda sucked (or vice-versa).

If we go back to Grubby's Gazlowe game, PBA tells him that he's playing about as well as expected for a Gazlowe at his rank on that map. Does anyone agree with that? Is it even possible to perform better as Gazlowe?

The trend seems to be that fast games, win or lose, were depressing the adjustments unreasonably. One of the stated goals of the system is to move players to where they belong faster - if anything, a stomp so one-sided should be 'rewarded', so as to make these overwhelming victories less likely.

At the very least, I feel it's vital that detailed reports are made available alongside PBA when it's reintroduced; something that tells the player where they did well, and where there's room to improve. In these fast, stat-depressing games, it should tell us the average expected numbers, and then we could compare them to data from HOTSlogs or whatever's hot right now. Without that, the system is very difficult to trust, and trust is everything.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Batigh posted:

The problem, as I see it, is that with PBA in place, the game can and often does talk out of both sides of its mouth. On the one hand, a player might win a very fast game and get MVP (or a relatively meaningful award on that screen), have high stats relative to others in the game - even get one one of those cheer thingies that tell you how well you did! - but then PBA tells you that, actually, you kinda sucked (or vice-versa).

If we go back to Grubby's Gazlowe game, PBA tells him that he's playing about as well as expected for a Gazlowe at his rank on that map. Does anyone agree with that? Is it even possible to perform better as Gazlowe?

Personal Adjustment != Performance Based Adjustment. PA is basically the game's way of trying to align your MMR with your HL rank. It's not directly related to the metrics that PBA measures.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The video is from when performance based adjustment was in the game.

Even OW, which has been trying to make performance adjustment work for a year+ and has way more data with fewer characters has recently dropped it for diamond and above. The magic of ML.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 28, 2017

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Golden Spacelord Leoric is amazing.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I laugh so hard every time someone uses ice block or something else to stop my Hunt to the point where my awful micro gets even worse.
YOU ARE NOT PREPARE..
Oh, maybe you are.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Snacksmaniac posted:

I laugh so hard every time someone uses ice block or something else to stop my Hunt to the point where my awful micro gets even worse.
YOU ARE NOT PREPARE..
Oh, maybe you are.

I just self-cast Garg. :getin: Illidan, :getin:.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Snacksmaniac posted:

YOU ARE NOT PREPARE..
Oh, maybe you are.

I mine jumped away from an Illdian as Junkrat one game every single time he tried that on me and it was hilarious every time

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

They mean performance adjustment not PRA. And I wish it was in and worked, but it didn't seem to work very well. Although I definitely felt there were specific heroes that I could easily crush the performance statistics with that made for easy points.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Snacksmaniac posted:

YOU ARE NOT PREPARE..
Oh, maybe you are.

There's nothing quite like getting Hunted by an Illidan expecting an easy Nazeebo kill and watching him panic as I sit comfortably in my ice palace while he chokes and dies to toads and spiders.

It brings a tear to my eye every time it happens.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

MaliciousOnion posted:

Personal Adjustment != Performance Based Adjustment. PA is basically the game's way of trying to align your MMR with your HL rank. It's not directly related to the metrics that PBA measures.

The acronyms can get a bit complicated; I do mean Performance Adjustment, not the system that's been around for a while and is still in.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Whichever one is like 'oh you stomped those guys in 10 min you must not be good -5' is the bad one.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
So if you are No. 1 gazlowe in the world and you play your best game ever, your personal adjustment would be zero because you are already at the top of your game?

Just trying to understand how this works.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I could have sworn the personal adjustment is for when you're favored to win/lose. So like if your team has a higher overall MMR you get less points (that -5, for example), since you were more likely to win anyway, if only slightly. That way a team with maybe a little less skill overall might get a small boost from a win to reward their superior teamwork making up for a skill deficit.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Erdricks posted:

So if you are No. 1 gazlowe in the world and you play your best game ever, your personal adjustment would be zero because you are already at the top of your game?

Just trying to understand how this works.

There's plenty of stuff about performance based mmr, start here: http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21179036/introducing-performance-based-matchmaking-11-17-2017

Short answer - no, you would get points based on a "good" player in a winning game, so if you were the best player you'd get a lot of points.

NeurosisHead posted:

I could have sworn the personal adjustment is for when you're favored to win/lose. So like if your team has a higher overall MMR you get less points (that -5, for example), since you were more likely to win anyway, if only slightly. That way a team with maybe a little less skill overall might get a small boost from a win to reward their superior teamwork making up for a skill deficit.

No. It is called "Personal rank adjustment" not "your team was favored or not rank adjustment" :wtc:

As said previously, the point of personal rank adjustment (not performance based mmr) is to move your RANK to be more aligned with your MMR. So if you start winning a lot of games in a row, you get a positive adjustment to catch your rank up with your MMR which is moving. Likewise a negative adjustment if you are losing a lot of games.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
ETC and Johanna are my two most played tanks in the last two months I would say, been real into both. I don’t know why anyone ever takes the leap ultimate on either one of them it makes absolutely no sense to me. Neither one of them ever has trouble engaging a fight and without their disabling ultimates they are extremely limited in what they can do to impact it.

I played a game of Stukov today on Towers in HL and I slammed picked the single shove ultimate as soon as we both hit ten assuming I would have to break up a mosh pit and then I see the drop zone landing on absolutely nothing nearby me while ETC’s team gets aced on the way to us cruising to both 2x their kills and 20-0 on final objective points with their team never winning a single team fight.

I just don’t get it. People who ever pick the leap ultimates on those tanks have you had good games on them? Why does anyone do it?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I take it on ETC if a global would be handy or if there's either not much follow-up to a mosh or some hard counter (like anub's just going to cocoon every time).

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Libertine posted:

I played a game of Stukov today on Towers in HL and I slammed picked the single shove ultimate as soon as we both hit ten assuming I would have to break up a mosh pit and then I see the drop zone landing on absolutely nothing nearby me while ETC’s team gets aced on the way to us cruising to both 2x their kills and 20-0 on final objective points with their team never winning a single team fight.
Stage Dive on ETC isn't for initiating a fight on that enemy 20 feet away, it's for capping an altar and dropping in on the fight happening on the other side of the map. It's also arguably the correct ult if the enemy team has a lot of ways to interrupt mosh. For example, there's a Stukov on the other team who can ruin your mosh with his ults or a 12/8 second cooldown that's not even a skill shot.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Falling Sword doesn't seem like an engagement ult to me, it seems more like something you use when the other team is trying to disengage and you want to keep them from doing so.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I feel like mosh is probably better in higher level leagues because people are more likely to actually capitalize on it

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

So I can't really ever seem to find a good reason to take Hanzo's actual Ultimate and settle on Ashe Arrow every game.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I feel like if doesn’t matter if the leap is handy because without the disruption ultimate neither characters are useful picks. You pick them for their ability to win team fights with hard engage and removing that advantage you would be much better just picking a bruiser who can extend range and scrap like Sonya or Artanis.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Seebach posted:

So I can't really ever seem to find a good reason to take Hanzo's actual Ultimate and settle on Ashe Arrow every game.
I played one game where he threw it into a 4-man VP and basically solo'd the enemy team, but that's about all I've ever seen it do.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
ETC's W is just crazy. Yeah his health is lame compared to Muradin, Diablo, and Stitches but W + the range talent just does what you want all the time.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 29, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Libertine posted:

I feel like if doesn’t matter if the leap is handy because without the disruption ultimate neither characters are useful picks.

This is an insane statement at least with regards to ETC who is an incredibly useful tank even without Mosh Pit.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
ETC is my waifu.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Toshimo posted:

ETC is my waifu.

"Welp, gotta retreat!"

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Seebach posted:

It's really bad. Once in a blue moon somebody will get a multi-kill with it, but they would've contributed far more if they'd taken dragon arrow instead. Never ever take dragon strike.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
The "scenic dragon ult" was undertuned on purpose to troll people coming from Overwatch

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Some people take Stagedive at 10 and Death mosh on 20 to have "both" ults (sorta) on ETC

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

EdRush posted:

Some people take Stagedive at 10 and Death mosh on 20 to have "both" ults (sorta) on ETC

I could see doing this if I ever died on ETC

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Newbie newb diary. Dear lord, playing Cho'gall is hilarious and fun.

Cho - Of the four games it took to get to level 5, we won all four. This is the first time I've made it to level 5 in four games. One game lasted all the way to level 27 though. Typically it takes five to six games, depending on how long the games last and how much winning we do. At any rate I played Cho, and had a buddy playing Gall. Not ever having played him before, I felt like I was controlling some sort of monster. His sustain seems great, particularly after 16, and coordinating with a friend is really, really amusing. We had a lot of breaking into laughter. For abilities I was picking fuel for the flame, rollback, fire starter, hammer of twilight, runic feedback, surging dash, and C'thun's Gift/Will of Cho. His waveclear seems pretty amazing, and he can really bully around others in lane.

That said, he certainly isn't invincible. In the game that lasted until 27, we did die a few times. Getting chain stunned-rooted and beaten upon can definitely bring the monster down. The deaths usually involved a dehaka tongue followed by a Jaina ult, further followed by plenty of focus fire.

I also got a loot goblin mount today, so it was very amusing to see the huge Cho'gall riding around on that.

Honestly, I really, really want to play him more.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 29, 2017

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Newbie newb diary. Dear lord, playing Cho'gall is hilarious and fun.
Cho'gall has the highest QM win rate but the lowest hero league win rate because he's very vulnerable to drafting and people playing cho'gall in HL are rarely on comms. Be sure to try cho'gall+Auriel, Ana, and/or Medivh.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Honestly, I've never even played hero league. I am not sure I even own 14 heroes, though I imagine I am close now. Most of my leveling to 5 has been with the week's free heroes.

My newbie newb adventure has all been quickmatch, and very rarely do I play alone. Typically I play with one to three friends, always using voice comms. I feel that HotS, like most games, is a lot more fun when enjoyed with friends.

We will have to give a more dedicated Chogall support combo a try to see how it fares. So far we haven't really been carefully optimizing teamcomps. It has been more about leveling up heroes and playing what sounds interesting.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

EdRush posted:

Blink on 20 gives mosh pit insane range, and gives you an extra escape, though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I just got out of a Tracer match with a thoroughly unpleasant Malfurion who seemed to think he was an Assasin, focusing mostly on damage and healing himself at 90% rather than me sitting next to him at 20%. At one point he told me to "Suck Cocks" in Spanish after sniping a Valla kill with Moonfire.

Beat him in every category but Healing and got MVP.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

I feel that HotS, like most games, is a lot more fun when enjoyed with friends.

This is absolutely true.

If you want to try something with draft in it that isn’t team league, try unranked draft with friends. Most of the people I play with don’t have the patience for it, but I find it more reliably gives quality matches.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
The new brawl is awesome. It would be even more awesome if you could pick teams and it was balanced for slightly longer games.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Elysium posted:

The new brawl is awesome. It would be even more awesome if you could pick teams and it was balanced for slightly longer games.

I had a round of Jainas vs Jainas that ended in about 30 seconds. We didn't even get to see the gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Kinda late but ETC chat: mosh is great and I pick it most of the time, but Stage Dive is a great alternative ult. The situations where you pick it are niche (they have reliable counters/your team lacks reliable follow up/you're facing a poke comp that won't clump up/your team really needs a global presence/combination of the above) but it's really nice to have the option.