Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

Yeah, it sucks. I love terminators in 8th but paying that much extra over the vanilla codex feels bad enough that I don't generally bother.

In any case don't take Inceptors they're a trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

In any case don't take Inceptors they're a trap.

They feel really thematic but I'll confess I have no experience with them on the table.

Does the overall concept seem ok? Like I mentioned, I'm really worried about not having enough bodies.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So if one wanted to start a CSM army, would using 30k models for Chaos Marines and Terminators and then getting legion upgrades from FW be the way to go? I've heard the plastic kits for most of the Chaos units are pretty old and the idea of running a Chaos army that was still using Heresy era armor sounds cool and they look much better. Would the look be too jarring for an army that would also include daemonic stuff like Heldrakes, Helbrutes, Obliterators, etc?

As a lot of the newer Chaos models (1K sons and Death Guard) are actually based on the old 30K style models, it wouldn't look out of place at all. In fact, you could probably get either Horus Heresy boxed game and get a respectable Chaos force for (relatively) cheap.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

They feel really thematic but I'll confess I have no experience with them on the table.

Does the overall concept seem ok? Like I mentioned, I'm really worried about not having enough bodies.

Concept seems fine, if you go first you'll stand good odds of loving them up with your alpha strike and if you go second tycho's contingent can sit far enough away to not get murdered. See if you can finangle some melta into dantes contingent in place of the Inceptors to really put the boots to tanks since with dantes aura you stand a good chance of deleting a unit of armour.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
How much anti tank do you guys typically take, and of what type? I have heard people say 4-12 lascannon equivalents for a bs3+ 2k force, how far off is that?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

R0ckfish posted:

How much anti tank do you guys typically take, and of what type? I have heard people say 4-12 lascannon equivalents for a bs3+ 2k force, how far off is that?

Seems about right, ~8.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

R0ckfish posted:

I feel like the general rule should be "enough to guarantee you can take out a key tank target on your first turn" For which, yeah, 8 seems like a good number, maybe 10. 8 Lascannons, on average, is 10.4 wounds per round of shooting.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TheChirurgeon posted:

I feel like the general rule should be "enough to guarantee you can take out a key tank target on your first turn" For which, yeah, 8 seems like a good number, maybe 10. 8 Lascannons, on average, is 10.4 wounds per round of shooting.

Enough to take out a key tank on your first turn after one unit of your lascannons got taken out on your opponents first turn. :)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JoshTheStampede posted:

Enough to take out a key tank on your first turn after one unit of your lascannons got taken out on your opponents first turn. :)

yeah, fair. Or to do it with a move, in which case you're gonna want 11-12

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So if one wanted to start a CSM army, would using 30k models for Chaos Marines and Terminators and then getting legion upgrades from FW be the way to go? I've heard the plastic kits for most of the Chaos units are pretty old and the idea of running a Chaos army that was still using Heresy era armor sounds cool and they look much better. Would the look be too jarring for an army that would also include daemonic stuff like Heldrakes, Helbrutes, Obliterators, etc?

No reason not to. I have a bunch of 30k stuff that gets mixed with my 40k stuff from time to time. My Death Guard armies are basicslly completely interchangeable except for Helbrutes and some of the vehicles.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
how the gently caress are you guys getting by with like 8 lascannons, i want 15-20 tbqh

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
How do things like powerfists on terminators or the various dreadnoughts factor into your antitank part of a force? does the inability to reliably get them into a target in the first turn or two significantly lower their value?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

R0ckfish posted:

How do things like powerfists on terminators or the various dreadnoughts factor into your antitank part of a force? does the inability to reliably get them into a target in the first turn or two significantly lower their value?

I view powerfists as a bonus to my main anti-tank weapons if I take them at all. Assault is fundamentally way less reliable as a way of outputting damage and I just cannot justify losing out killing something critical because I missed a 4" charge.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

R0ckfish posted:

I'd bet that its a time value of points thing. Like, a Deathstrike missile is dead killy, but if by the time it fires the bad guys are all up in my poo poo it isn't really worth much.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Given that I am only fielding Primaris infantry... what is the best source of lascannons?

Predators?

For anti-tank weapons, I currently have a ton of Hellblasters, 2 Redemptors, and 2 Repulsors.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

dexefiend posted:

Given that I am only fielding Primaris infantry... what is the best source of lascannons?

Predators?

For anti-tank weapons, I currently have a ton of Hellblasters, 2 Redemptors, and 2 Repulsors.

Venerable dreads with a twin las and missile launcher seem like a pretty good choice on paper, 3 d6 damage shots hitting on a rerollable 2+ if you put them under a captain or spend a command point.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Venerable dreads with a twin las and missile launcher seem like a pretty good choice on paper, 3 d6 damage shots hitting on a rerollable 2+ if you put them under a captain or spend a command point.

Yeah but they aren't really Primaris.

dexefiend posted:

Predators?

Tarantulas could be fun. Or get some allies.

Comedy Option Warhound

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah but they aren't really Primaris.

Neither are predators.

Or the redemptor to be completely accurate.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The only real option a pure primaris army has for dealing with vehicles are hellblasters and they're just ok. You really have to use the entire codex to be viable.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Bring three Preds. Use Killshot. Get money.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

JoshTheStampede posted:

Bring three Preds. Use Killshot. Get money.

especially in Blood Angels

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If you combine them with a source of re-rolls I've yet to see a rapid-firing squad of over-charged hellblasters not kill something

Like this weekend I made Old One Eye explode in a single round of shooting and it was just beautiful

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

If you combine them with a source of re-rolls I've yet to see a rapid-firing squad of over-charged hellblasters not kill something

Like this weekend I made Old One Eye explode in a single round of shooting and it was just beautiful

Do you really want to have your armies anti-tank only start to get effective within 15" and require a 300+ point transport to get there?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pendent posted:

Do you really want to have your armies anti-tank only start to get effective within 15" and require a 300+ point transport to get there?

Play raven guard.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
My tentative solution looks to be running some Long Fangs alongside my biglies. That said, any advice on kitting them out/ suggestions on getting weapons bits?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Just ally in a detachment of three Vendettas. That's 18 lascannons right there. :v:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Groetgaffel posted:

Just ally in a detachment of three Vendettas. That's 18 lascannons right there. :v:

Or the equivalent of 9 space marine lascannons, given that those Vendettas will only be hitting on 5's.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Well yeah, but he wanted 8, so that's still one spare.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Thoughts on using a detachment of either Elysians or Scions as backup for my gimmick primaris only force? What good AT options can they get?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I imagine a valkyrie or a vendetta dropping a squad of meltas armed stormtroopers would be pretty effective at deleting a tank.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Neither are predators.

Or the redemptor to be completely accurate.

The Redemptor is a walking tank with a Primaris battery, so I'd say it applies.

For me "Primaris" means "anything that can be run by a Primaris marine" so the Redemptor and stuff like Tarantulas count.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Redemptor is a walking tank with a Primaris battery, so I'd say it applies.

Theoretically, so is a carnifex

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Giant Isopod posted:

Theoretically, so is a carnifex

Well hopefully we'll both be happy when the new codex comes out!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

My Tyranid friend is asking me like every single hour for rumors

I have high hopes for the codex because they haven't really hosed up any releases so far

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Tell your friend to wait a week until the embargo is over.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
I painted some manz.

I was inspired by the chaplain/primaris ancient conversions posted earlier, so I tried my hand at it.

Closeup on the goon squad.

I magnitized the backpack, in case I want to run him as a "vanilla" chaplain w/jumppack alongside some Reivers

I had a lot of fun making his skull pile. It's the extra skulls that come on the imperial sector 40mm base sprues. I gotta get one of the dedicated skull packs.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

How does it look without the filter

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
All of those are great, but Gah Dayum that Chaplain is ace!

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

goose willis posted:

How does it look without the filter

Yea, I tried my phone's attempt at white balancing. Didnt work great.

Here is the original:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
After playing several games with them, I've come to the conclusion I was totally dead-loving-wrong about Assault Plasma Incinerators. Getting two shots out to 24" and being able to Advance and shoot in a pinch to make sure you get all of those shots loving rules. A Captain to reroll ones and it does sickening things to anything T7 and lower.