Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Policenaut posted:

See y'all for the PS5 version with Factions baked in at launch.

even more likely, Factions is a PS5 standalone launch thing imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Regardless of how you personally feel about FF8 it is a really poor port in general. Character models and resolution have gotten a boost but performance is almost as low as it was running on a PS1 with splotchy pre-rendered backgrounds.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

Regardless of how you personally feel about FF8 it is a really poor port in general. Character models and resolution have gotten a boost but performance is almost as low as it was running on a PS1 with splotchy pre-rendered backgrounds.

i've seen comparisons that indicate little care was put into some of the uprezzing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What a hack does that cost money??

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

Is the FF8 remaster worth getting? I never played it on release but it seems to be one of the divisive final fantasy games.

This is the most accurate piece of criticism ever produced about FF8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJyYJykuO5U

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
It’s actually one of the best ports they’ve released. Check out the PC version of Chrono Trigger, it’s wild.

I bet TLOU multiplayer is going to attempt to be like GTA5/RDR2 multiplayer, which both make poo poo tons of money I’m assuming? Man I forgot one of my goals for 2019 was to finally beat TLOU and I didnae do it whoops lol.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is the most accurate piece of criticism ever produced about FF8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJyYJykuO5U

I didn’t want to be the one to post this so thank u

*pitched down voice* HOWEVER,
I will post this video to back up my claims about Chrono Trigger, which is like, yeh, whatever you can emulate it more easily than getting it through steam, but it’s kind of hilarious how little of a poo poo they cared https://youtu.be/WSQUbJ1yXYY

imhotep fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 4, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

how do you arrange that? i got it less than a year ago.

Contact support and start a ticket.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imhotep posted:

I bet TLOU multiplayer is going to attempt to be like GTA5/RDR2 multiplayer, which both make poo poo tons of money I’m assuming? Man I forgot one of my goals for 2019 was to finally beat TLOU and I didnae do it whoops lol.

I think so. Well, sort of.

Here's my theory. Naughty Dog obviously knows their multiplayer is a cult hit. None of their games have been multiplayer mega hits, but they have always had a pretty healthy playerbase with pretty dedicated fans. I still have numerous people on my friends list that either only play TLOU or only play UC4 online. Respectively 4 and 7 year old games. Because of this I think just scrapping multi is a really bizarre move. At the same time whenever Naughty Dog multiplayer comes up, half of the conversation is "Naughty Dog has multiplayer?" either as a joke about how people never bothered with it, or from people that genuinely just never noticed it was even there.

What I think happened is somewhere along the line they realized that including multi was going to be the same thing all over again. Some people would love it, many people would ignore it, they make minimal money off of selling funny hats to wear and that is it. If you look at successful multiplayer games in 2019 they have to be an ordeal of their own. I can't remember the last time multiplayer that was attached packed in to a single player focused game was actually a hit unless you count games like, COD or Battlefield and almost no one buys those games for SP. On the other hand you have Rockstar games, who makes a big deal about their online mode, releasing it after everyone finishes the SP. Then you have f2p stuff that people can try out for free and standalone stuff that is priced cheaper than a full game. I'm expecting something like Rockstar except further down the line cause of PS5 and I truly believe they aren't even working on it right now.

I think somewhere along the line ND realized that including multi was just going to be fan service, when instead they could just ignore it for now and potentially use it as something to drum up hype on its own later down the line. Especially with PS5 just around the corner. Certainly a F2p standalone could make a lot more money. It could possibly be attached to owning the game but who knows. The thing that potentially sucks about that is all of the trappings of f2p, and also one of the best things about factions is the community. A standalone could really change that.

I know that's a lot of :words: of speculation but that is what makes the most sense to me, at least.

Also, you should probably beat tlou.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 4, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I really don't see ND doing f2p but who knows

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I really don't see ND doing f2p but who knows

They already did this with Uncharted 3.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I mean basically, the whole screwed over by his business partner and then builds a big contraption strapped to his back to take his revenge angle. It's not like it's a bad idea to put together, but it's just kinda demonstrative of how there's no real reason the game needed to use specifically Dr. Octopus, and maybe a different villain would've fit their purposes better. It feels like he's only in there because the game's trying as hard as they can to follow in Spiderman 2's footsteps, and the relationship he has with Pete is heavily derivative off of that, and although while Otto's VA puts some work into that, Pete's just can't get any subtleties through because he's always either 100% enthusiastic or 100% terrified and both of those emotions sound the same. Maybe I'd be more willing to revisit Doc's audio logs if the game didn't get audio logs exactly wrong by making exiting the menu stop the playback, so you can't do things while listening. It's weird how many games get that wrong.

There didn't really seem to me to be a slow decline for him, he was manic towards the end while trying to get the arms working, but not dysfunctionally so. He never seemed to be taking an interest in supervillains, and the biggest sign was how he was blaming Osborne for everything, which seemed...accurate? He had a working model before Norman shut him down, and Norman did genuinely screw Otto over when they were working together, and it's not like New York wouldn't benefit from not having an evil fascist mayor. The decision to assemble a team of supervillains and unleash a WMD to kill most of New York kinda feels like a nonsequiter, and I'm not sure how exactly it was supposed to relate to the rest of his grand plan.

And at the end, when Pete is desperately pleading with Doc Ock to stop, he says that he'll make sure Osborne faces charges, but it seems like that was just a lie, which kinda undermines how much Peter supposedly respects Otto.

Granted it's been over a year since I did my last story playthrough ( been replaying bases a million times since) but the slow decline I remember was slow relative to explosion-BOOM-now-I'm-evil OG origin but maybe it's more accurate to say slow reveal because what I remember is getting more and more of a bad vibe the more time was spent with Ock for the reasons I mentioned in my quoted post. He had definite legit grievance with Osborn but letting it consume him and having his own failings led to his choice to throw his life away.

Disagree about just any villain being interchangeable with Octavius. Maybe I'm just used to it because it's not the first take on Octavius with this kind of angle. Spider-Man 2 the movie and the game are very big and obvious influences but parts of the story date back to the 90s cartoon and prose stories. Connections between Peter and Ock in general have been done even more often. His stature as one of the big 2 Spider-Man villains and the similarities he shares with Spider-Man make him a natural fit for this kind of story that would probably feel weird with anyone else.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Is FF 8 worth playing is a hard question to answer. It’s an odd duck of a game. I used to hate it, but when you figure out how easy it is to break the weird systems in the game it becomes pretty fun to gently caress around in. The card game is addicting. The story is pants on head even by FF standards. It’s not really one of the defining entries of the series, but it has charm. I’d say go for it if you generally like JRPGs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Eyes on Me, easy top 5 video game songs of the 1990s

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lobok posted:

Granted it's been over a year since I did my last story playthrough ( been replaying bases a million times since) but the slow decline I remember was slow relative to explosion-BOOM-now-I'm-evil OG origin but maybe it's more accurate to say slow reveal because what I remember is getting more and more of a bad vibe the more time was spent with Ock for the reasons I mentioned in my quoted post. He had definite legit grievance with Osborn but letting it consume him and having his own failings led to his choice to throw his life away.

Disagree about just any villain being interchangeable with Octavius. Maybe I'm just used to it because it's not the first take on Octavius with this kind of angle. Spider-Man 2 the movie and the game are very big and obvious influences but parts of the story date back to the 90s cartoon and prose stories. Connections between Peter and Ock in general have been done even more often. His stature as one of the big 2 Spider-Man villains and the similarities he shares with Spider-Man make him a natural fit for this kind of story that would probably feel weird with anyone else.
I thought that stuff was well-done and I agree that it would not have worked well with another villain.

I guess maybe you could do it with Curt Connors? The Raimi movies had him in there for three films and did nothing with him despite them having the connection of Connors being Peter's professor for awhile.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Eyes on Me, easy top 5 video game songs of the 1990s

Right below the true top song fom FF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZXp_5M_7c

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought that stuff was well-done and I agree that it would not have worked well with another villain.

I guess maybe you could do it with Curt Connors? The Raimi movies had him in there for three films and did nothing with him despite them having the connection of Connors being Peter's professor for awhile.

Connors was at best a tease and at worst a waste in the Raimi films, yeah. Since Vulture was originally planned for Spider-Man 4 you gotta wonder if they ever intended to do the Lizard. You're right he is pretty close to Octavius regarding the mentor/paternal aspect but he doesn't really work with the other stuff they were going for in the game with tech and teaming with other villains. Could still have had the same connection with Osborn though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

man nurse posted:

Is FF 8 worth playing is a hard question to answer. It’s an odd duck of a game. I used to hate it, but when you figure out how easy it is to break the weird systems in the game it becomes pretty fun to gently caress around in. The card game is addicting. The story is pants on head even by FF standards. It’s not really one of the defining entries of the series, but it has charm. I’d say go for it if you generally like JRPGs.

It took a lot of risks with the formula and is easily the least 'safe' entry in the series. It's also the last of the FF game before FF became a 'platform' so it still feels rather personal and authentic.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This isn't the Balamb Garden theme OR Force Your Way!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Now we're fuckin talking

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Factions 2 should be like, a semi persistent world, you can travel around in it like RDR online but you can also play "missions" just like always. These change the world in a strand type way. Like if you win a bunch you get things to decorate your murder hobo base with, and your base can show up in other people's game

I just put way too much thought into this

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

man nurse posted:

The basic gist of Gaintbomb nowadays is that the east coast crew consistently produces entertaining and occasionally brilliant content, and you can safely ignore anything the west coast office is doing unless it's Jeff playing PS2 Garfield games or something.

Eh, they're both half and half.

Ben and Abby need to both be fired into the sun.

Vinny, Jeff, Jan, and Dan would be the ideal combination.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The Outer Worlds: Haven't gotten father than meeting the first companion and there's nothing in particular outstanding so far (does look great compared to the Gamebryo standard for this genre) but boy do I love a competent WRPG. Witcher was GotY, sure, but it's been at least a year since I finished the DLC and I've been more on JRPGs since. Had forgotten how much I enjoy dialogue trees, interlocking quest chains and solid shooting mechanics. Know it didn't end up being anyone's favorite but really stoked to mainline this for a week or two.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Outer Worlds is the plain white bread game of the year

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Outer Worlds probably likes pumpkin spice lattes and NPR

It probably drives a Prius and sometimes plays in a "jam band" with Lisa from work

Probably wears sandals and has a ponytail

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The Outer Worlds: Haven't gotten father than meeting the first companion and there's nothing in particular outstanding so far (does look great compared to the Gamebryo standard for this genre) but boy do I love a competent WRPG. Witcher was GotY, sure, but it's been at least a year since I finished the DLC and I've been more on JRPGs since. Had forgotten how much I enjoy dialogue trees, interlocking quest chains and solid shooting mechanics. Know it didn't end up being anyone's favorite but really stoked to mainline this for a week or two.

I hope you enjoy repeating those same dialogue trees and progressively less interesting companions

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's so dull. It starts out with promise and by the tenth hour it's just boring and every single scenario is predictable as gently caress. Monarch's sidequests really broke any chance of me coming away satisfied because it's all just so loving vanilla and so predictable that you might as well play fallout 3, which is way, way more interesting.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How did they even manage to do that? I didn't know they had it in them to make such a bland game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JBP posted:

It's so dull. It starts out with promise and by the tenth hour it's just boring and every single scenario is predictable as gently caress. Monarch's sidequests really broke any chance of me coming away satisfied because it's all just so loving vanilla and so predictable that you might as well play fallout 3, which is way, way more interesting.

The first few hours are pretty strong too. And like, you can tell there could be a good game there. It wasn't rushed and on the technical side it's competent to good. They just kind of forgot to write anything interesting at all

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
From the creators of Fallout! ..But more recently Diablo 3. Wait where are you going

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i missed that patent diagrams basically confirmed standard back "paddles" for the next dualshock

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Fallout games are mechanically lame and Outer Worlds doesn’t add anything to that boring gameplay loop. I played for like 2 hours and was just basically falling asleep by the time I finished the first quest. I was hoping they were providing a polished FPSRPG and they just don’t do anything special or noteworthy or fun with it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

i missed that patent diagrams basically confirmed standard back "paddles" for the next dualshock

I think that the diagram shows a usb micro port so its actually a ds4 revision to sell through the long sunsetting process of ps4. Still basically confirms that ps5 has paddles tho.

So the upgrade thing this year is to get old ds4's up to new standard,
A potential new ds4 will come around and meet that standard
And ds5 will set the standard.

Unless they just drew the usbc port funny in the picture but idk

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I might have dreamed it but hasn't it already been confirmed DS5 won't have a Light Bar?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I think its probably got a light somewhere unless psvr requires a ds4 to use on ps5 which would be lol

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

I might have dreamed it but hasn't it already been confirmed DS5 won't have a Light Bar?
I thought someone said that. Good riddance to one of the most pointless features in a controller ever.

Edit: if they wanted to keep the little sliver of light that comes through the touchpad in the latest version of the controller, that would be okay though.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
No PS button either, still got that big honkin laptop touchpad though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Adding a couple nubs I could hit with my middle fingers would make so many games so much better

2020: year of the nubs

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

Adding a couple nubs I could hit with my middle fingers would make so many games so much better

2020: year of the nubs

Great news since gamers keep telling me to get good nubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Any good games I missed at the end of the year? Kind of in a game hole right now. Outer Worlds and Death Stranding were good, but has that really been it recently as far as "big" games go that aren't CoD? COde Vein was fun, MK11 is okay for a few minutes a day but everything else just seems....blah.