Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I haven't ever played a Dragon Quest besides a tiny bit of PS2 8 and some of Heroes 1. I was planning on getting the DQ11 Switch port, but also wanted to start from the beginning. Are the SNES ports w/ the translation patch fine or is there a better option for the first three games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Azathoth256 posted:

What point does it cut off?

at the check point post hotto plotto

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mr E posted:

I haven't ever played a Dragon Quest besides a tiny bit of PS2 8 and some of Heroes 1. I was planning on getting the DQ11 Switch port, but also wanted to start from the beginning. Are the SNES ports w/ the translation patch fine or is there a better option for the first three games?

You can play almost all of the old games on mobile.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

SettingSun posted:

Seconding this, I've been trying to play through the whole main series this year and the mobile ports are basically the definitive editions of the game. Dpad controls are a little loose because of touchscreen controls, but there's been a lot of minor tweaks to compensate for the looser controls.

Except 7 and 8, play those on 3DS.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Disagree. I think the SFC remakes are still the best versions of 1-3. This is one of many times I've explained why in this thread, but I'll do it again:

- 1 and 2, judging by the screenshots, has been scaled horribly and there are no even pixels except the new hi-res dialog/menu interface. I can't stand looking at non-integer non-filtered scaling like this, but ymmv.
- 3 addressed this somewhat by adding a slight filter but they took out the boardgame minigame and all monster battle animations (wtf @ the latter).
- Mobile controls suck. At least moving around does. Navigating the menus are pretty easy, thankfully.

On the plus side, they all have new, official translations, and they are cheap and portable. Still, that's not enough for me to advise spending your time with them over the SFC versions. I would, however, definitely recommend the mobile ports of 4-6.

e: if you decide to go with the SFC fan-patches, be careful to never use the inn in Beran in DQ2. There's supposed to be an event that happens, but apparently the patch causes the game to crash.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 22, 2019

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I always recommend the mobile ports if only because buying them shows there is support for the series in the West, which I hope turns into future Monsters games getting translated.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

That's a good point. Guess I should pick them up myself and give the appropriate review to the Play store (or SE directly).

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I'd rather not do mobile ports if at all possible just because I'm not a fan of the control style, and I have my Super Nintendo hooked up w/ a flash cart. I wasn't sure if there was another option besides NES/SNES versions & mobile.

Ofecks posted:

Disagree. I think the SFC remakes are still the best versions of 1-3. This is one of many times I've explained why in this thread, but I'll do it again:

- 1 and 2, judging by the screenshots, has been scaled horribly and there are no even pixels except the new hi-res dialog/menu interface. I can't stand looking at non-integer non-filtered scaling like this, but ymmv.
- 3 addressed this somewhat by adding a slight filter but they took out the boardgame minigame and all monster battle animations (wtf @ the latter).
- Mobile controls suck. At least moving around does. Navigating the menus are pretty easy, thankfully.

On the plus side, they all have new, official translations, and they are cheap and portable. Still, that's not enough for me to advise spending your time with them over the SFC versions. I would, however, definitely recommend the mobile ports of 4-6.

e: if you decide to go with the SFC fan-patches, be careful to never use the inn in Beran in DQ2. There's supposed to be an event that happens, but apparently the patch causes the game to crash.

Good to know about the inn in Beran.

I've got the DS versions of IV through VI and the 3DS VII, PS2/3DS VIII, and 3DS IX (because evidently I like buying games I'll take forever to actually play), so I'll probably go with those versions for the rest. Planning on using the orchestral music patch for the 3DS port of VIII using CFW, too.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Having just played the mobile port of IV, if you can swing it, I highly suggest that over the DS version. The addition of party chat adds a lot of characterization to the party. Enough so that I probably won't return to the DS version at any point past this.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Don’t forget orchestra patch for VII as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mr E posted:

I'd rather not do mobile ports if at all possible just because I'm not a fan of the control style, and I have my Super Nintendo hooked up w/ a flash cart. I wasn't sure if there was another option besides NES/SNES versions & mobile.
The controls on mobile DQ1 are awful IMO, but I've played a bit of 5 on mobile and it's not bad. If you've already got the DS versions absolutely play those (except for 4, because mobile has party chat), but the mobile versions of 4/5/6 seem to be acceptable substitutes.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Having just played the mobile port of IV, if you can swing it, I highly suggest that over the DS version. The addition of party chat adds a lot of characterization to the party. Enough so that I probably won't return to the DS version at any point past this.
I haven't played the mobile version of 4 myself (I bought the DS version), but party chat adds a lot to the other DQ games, and if I ever go back to 4 it will be on mobile to see what I missed. I highly suggest playing the mobile version of 4, but that's the only mobile port I'd recommend over the console/handheld versions.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ah, if there's no/less party chat in the DS port of IV I'll see about going mobile in that case, seems like a pretty big omission based on what I've read.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, Squenix didn't bother to localize the party chat in the DS remake of 4, but included it in the mobile port.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

so uh if you couldn't put 2 and 2 together like me until just now, after chapter 3 you should head back to furrowfield and flash the mirror of ra at that dog

i was wondering why i couldn't bring her to the island post-game and WELP

they even specifically remind you she exists with a letter, i am dumb

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Halp, ive never played minecraft before and i can't stop playing DQB2

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
On the subject of DQB2... god help me, but at this point I'm so enamored with it I'm thinking of LPing it once the waiting period is over.

I haven't even tried to LP a game in years and years, so this cannot possibly go poorly :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't think there's an LP waiting period any more.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SpaceDrake posted:

once the waiting period is over.

If you mean the "three month" rule I don't think it's been a thing for a couple years now.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So I just noticed a plant growth option in the settings of DQB2. What does that actually change? I didn't think any plants grew or multiplied anyway. At least in any appreciable way that I ever noticed. Is it supposed to help with if I was gathering resources on a story island and left a certain plant alone it would grow more so I never fully ran out of a resource?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you mean the "three month" rule I don't think it's been a thing for a couple years now.

You're correct. The three month rule was pretty much obsolete with the advent of twitch streams and day-1 youtube playthroughs, so it got dropped.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jackard posted:

Halp, ive never played minecraft before and i can't stop playing DQB2

that's fine, I describe both Builders as "minecraft except good"

strange how even the most basic goal framework makes things a lot more compelling

i barely touched the other two dlcs but the fishing one comes with 2 npcs so i converted the entire 2nd floor of my pyramid into a giant fish tank

e:

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So I just noticed a plant growth option in the settings of DQB2. What does that actually change? I didn't think any plants grew or multiplied anyway. At least in any appreciable way that I ever noticed. Is it supposed to help with if I was gathering resources on a story island and left a certain plant alone it would grow more so I never fully ran out of a resource?

sometimes grass will extend itself onto a dirt block, i've only ever seen it happen once though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 23, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i finally did the endgame and here is my extensive review of the finale:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Dragon Quest Builders 2 is an insanely good loving game. DQB1 was fine, but not great at all. DQB2 is probably one of my top games of the year.

Also, my wife had a realization: Malroth is basically InuYasha in personality.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is an insanely good loving game. DQB1 was fine, but not great at all. DQB2 is probably one of my top games of the year.

Also, my wife had a realization: Malroth is basically InuYasha in personality.

Malroth is good so that seems inaccurate

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Switch port of XI seems very good.

Can't wait to take Sylvando with me everywhere.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
They definitely made a bunch of tiny improvements to go with the bigger ones. Hero has more VA'ing for jumping and fights, and the gather points that drop three sparklies just gives all of them to you now.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BrightWing posted:

They definitely made a bunch of tiny improvements to go with the bigger ones. Hero has more VA'ing for jumping and fights, and the gather points that drop three sparklies just gives all of them to you now.

unfortunately they still couldn't give him more facial expressions than "blank", which still hinders a ton of scenes in the game

they should've just given him big ol' doofy eyes like 8's hero, that worked pretty well overall

I've finally reached the point in builders where i'm running out of things to do, it's been quite the ride

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 25, 2019

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Am I finally past the handholdy tutorial section of DQB2 now that the multiplayer portal opened?

cuz the linear questlines were really loving irritating and I had to do a lot of backtracking

Jackard fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 25, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jackard posted:

Am I finally past the handholdy tutorial section of DQB2 now that the multiplayer portal opened?

cuz the linear questlines were really loving irritating and I had to do a lot of backtracking

there's like no backtracking at all in the opening tutorial though? it's all on the same beach and a brief jog up a mountain

e: whoops forgot it was post-furrowfield

I don't remember there being much backtracking at all even there though besides talking to that orc like 500 times

the quests don't really change since each island follows a linear story(but they don't really walk you through every step anymore unless it's an entirely new concept), but now that you have the sail everything becomes way, way more convenient to reach

e2: also future islands will give you way more space to build

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 25, 2019

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Jackard posted:

The second island is all based around going into a mine and coming out with minerals to build stuff, so there's still quite a bit of backtracking to and from the village.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Uh, you folks do know the game has quicktravel, right?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yinlock posted:

I don't remember there being much backtracking at all even there though besides talking to that orc like 500 times
I like exploring so I found everything before I was supposed to but the quests only work if you do,things in a specific order.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Switch port of XI seems very good.

Can't wait to take Sylvando with me everywhere.

It is good. Looks great docked. A little blurry handheld but still runs well. But I have crashed twice in Heliodor. Hopefully it’s just a demo issue.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jackard posted:

I like exploring so I found everything before I was supposed to but the quests only work if you do,things in a specific order.

that'd do it

the way to explore is to limit yourself to areas the game tells you to go, but poke around as much as possible within those areas. you'll usually find some interesting stuff but won't spoil yourself

on the 2nd island the entire surface has almost no plot relevance(the one mission area is super minor and has a warp point directly to it) and a ton of mini medals so go nuts there

pooch516 posted:

The second island is all based around going into a mine and coming out with minerals to build stuff, so there's still quite a bit of backtracking to and from the village.

the mine opens up as you complete missions, it's not really possible to explore ahead of time(though there's still some hidden passages if you pay attention)

also your buff pals will do all the metal-gathering for you anyway

the 3rd island otoh is insanely easy to spoil if you poke around even a little, though you can't actually do much without specific items

e: i'd suggest DQB1 if you enjoy exploring, that game is really heavily exploration-based though you lose a shitload of B2's quality-of-life changes

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 25, 2019

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I got bored waiting for the Switch version if 11 to drop, so I dug out my 3DS to give VIII another go (I played the PS2 version waaaaay back in the day).
Apparently they actually nerfed and buffed some skills though? Notably Twin Dragon Lash, does that mean Whips aren't really worth it on Jessica anymore?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think it's no longer far and away the best skill set for her, but you can still make it work. TDL is still pretty good, IIRC, it's just not super broken anymore. Conversely, Knives are now worth using, I think.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I got bored waiting for the Switch version if 11 to drop, so I dug out my 3DS to give VIII another go (I played the PS2 version waaaaay back in the day).
Apparently they actually nerfed and buffed some skills though? Notably Twin Dragon Lash, does that mean Whips aren't really worth it on Jessica anymore?

the three to focus on are Fists late-game(for magic burst at 100, absolutely necessary if you're going to do some of the new postgame superbosses), Staves (good to give her revival/support access), and Sex Appeal(always useful)

some points in whips isn't a bad idea though, whips are her best option for random encounters you don't feel like just booming and you get a ton of extra skillpoints as you get closer to max level(the new bosses give a ton of exp and can be re-fought so this actually doesn't take long) so you can afford to put some points into it early on, or if you don't care about the superbosses

Knives are real bad on her still, but are lolbusted on Red

e": though everything Red can do is lolbusted, she can just kazing for free

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 26, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If the flute doesn't echo on an explorer island, does that mean that the required resource won't be spawning in at all, or that I still have to run around the map for it to possibly load?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Argue posted:

If the flute doesn't echo on an explorer island, does that mean that the required resource won't be spawning in at all, or that I still have to run around the map for it to possibly load?

it should always echo unless you're checked everything off the list

or you haven't closed the software for a long time in the switch version which makes Weird poo poo start happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
there have been a couple times where I just couldn't find one last resource, even with the flute, and had to return to the IoA and come back