Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Growing up, all I ever wanted was for weed to be legal here.

Oh Colorado, what have we done :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Habibi posted:

Met a 63 year old guy in the locker room who'd started skating in his late 30s, and he provided some additional help and drills to help out in that regard.

By any chance, do you skate at SIA in Sherwood, Oregon and was his name Steve?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

aunt jemima posted:

By any chance, do you skate at SIA in Sherwood, Oregon and was his name Steve?

Sharks Ice, San Jose, Don. :)

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Ah. Funny because I had pretty much the exact same experience here (although Steve hasn't been playing as long, so I was wondering). :)

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Habibi posted:

Went to my second skate today, having looked up Youtube videos on hockey stops (notably HowToHockey). Met a 63 year old guy in the locker room who'd started skating in his late 30s, and he provided some additional help and drills to help out in that regard. An hour later? Stopping at low to moderate speeds. Woohoo. Still having a hard time getting my edges in, so I look drunk and like I'm expending way too much effort with each stride, but I was expecting to spend most of today's session on my rear end, so there's that/.

I look forward to one day being a version of this guy, assuming I don't end up with osteoporosis or something. If I make it to 63 I'll have been playing hockey for more than half my life!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a ~65 year old dude who skates in the instructional league I'm in, he doesn't have much in the way of stamina but he skates well and knows the game. He plays just the right amount of dirty, refs never call anything on him even though people constantly fall over when he's working to clear the crease.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I look forward to one day being a version of this guy, assuming I don't end up with osteoporosis or something. If I make it to 63 I'll have been playing hockey for more than half my life!

That was nothing. It was an adults only Gretzky hour, which it turns out means in part that a small club of old timers comes out for half rink games. The oldest was :stare: 76 :stare:. And he still skated beautifully (if not too vigorously).

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

re: Pot hockey

I joined my first beer league team when I was 15. It was inline, but still basically beer league. Team Smoked. This was my jersey:

Other teams around that time: Team Hemp (featuring a huge yellow weed leaf on a black jersey), and Grim Reefer (featuring a roller blading Grim Reaper on a tye-dye jersey). The same group of guys, just a slight change over the course of a few years.

15 years later, they still hang out and smoke up before games.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Hockles posted:

Only after the game. Same with beer. We have work to do on the ice.

Glad to see that I'm not the only hockey player who thinks a weed sponsorship would be amazing.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I don't do anything like that, but it's quite ironic that it's the group of people I started out playing with.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
So....

Got a call at 8:30 from a tournament team looking for a plug. Game was at 9:00. I still made the free skate. This is expert-level hockey setup we're dealing with, folks.

We were in the game and then midway through the second we fell apart. They had 13, we had 9. Our age and numbers started to show. Went from a 1-0 lead to a 4-1 loss after some silly penalties. Game 2 is tomorrow at 12:30.

Love. This. poo poo.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hockles posted:

re: Pot hockey

I joined my first beer league team when I was 15. It was inline, but still basically beer league. Team Smoked. This was my jersey:

Other teams around that time: Team Hemp (featuring a huge yellow weed leaf on a black jersey), and Grim Reefer (featuring a roller blading Grim Reaper on a tye-dye jersey). The same group of guys, just a slight change over the course of a few years.

Oh inline, how I don't miss you.
*takes a shot of Wiser's before every game while wearing a jersey with a brewery/beer pun on it*

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Habibi posted:

That was nothing. It was an adults only Gretzky hour, which it turns out means in part that a small club of old timers comes out for half rink games. The oldest was :stare: 76 :stare:. And he still skated beautifully (if not too vigorously).

There's a 73 year old guy who comes to the lunchtime pickup I go to every so often. He's not particularly fast, but he's got great hockey sense and he always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

I really hope I'm in good enough condition to even skate at 73, let alone play hockey with all of us young assholes flying around.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
I forgot how weird it was playing with a whole new team until this week. About half my first team was carried over into my second season, so I'd mostly been playing with the same guys for... 25 or 30 weeks now? Man, that seems like a long time now that I write it out. :staredog:
I almost got a totally stupid goal, though. The goalie made a glove save and dropped the puck in his crease, turning his back to it before the ref blew the whistle. Right as I was coming in from the blueline to poke the puck, they blew it dead. I guess the ref knew that the goalie had a sore groin, and decided he'd rather kill the play than see the goalie make a sudden lunge and take himself out of the game.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I scored my first goal of the summer season, a powerplay tap-in goal on a feed from my BF and my mom happened to be in the stands so I pointed at her after I scored. Yeah, I've pretty much made it.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I'm having hockey withdrawal. For the first time in years I will be going more than 1 week without skating. We cancelled our Wednesday night skate because the Bruins were in game 7 and knew that most people were going to stay home and watch that instead of playing and today our rink is having their annual skating show. They take down all the protective netting and glass around the rink for the show and can't get it back up fast enough for us to have our usual 7pm skate. Plus starting after the skating show they are shutting the rink down for a full week for maintenance. No skating until a week from Wednesday most likely.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got an unsportsmanlike last night because someone 2 feet in front of me dropped their stick and I ran into it.

Total hogwash =/

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013
A true sportsman gives his stick to the opposing player

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I feel like such a bum, I had to miss my game yesterday and we lost 3-1.

Granted, I'm not there because I'm somewhere I stand to walk out of with a couple grand in cash, but man, I missed hockey.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Bank heist?

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I'm thinking it is one of those radio contests where you can't stop touching the car

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

communist kangaroo posted:

I'm thinking it is one of those radio contests where you can't stop touching the car

Last one standing dance contest?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I feel like such a bum, I had to miss my game yesterday and we lost 3-1.

Granted, I'm not there because I'm somewhere I stand to walk out of with a couple grand in cash, but man, I missed hockey.

I missed my game last night, too (I'm moving). So bummed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

First time on skates in about a week and a half for me this morning. Everything felt just a little bit off.

It felt like I was digging into the ice way too much, maybe I just need a shallower cut for the summer? It's not exactly hot out yet but I had a fresh cut done last week at the usual 7/16 and it kept feeling like I wanted to pitch over my skates on stops. I couldn't really decide if it was the edges or me being a giant pussy.

Plus the new gloves. I underestimated how different they'd feel once I started stickhandling, I was still able to do what I needed to do but the first hour or so felt weird.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

7/16 is kinda deep. I started at 1/2 and went to 5/8

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 20, 2014

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I used to do 3/8" when I skated more and now am good at 7/16".

1/2" feels like butterknives to me.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Topoisomerase posted:

xzzy's a newbie and also a lot bigger than you, though.

When I was a big fat person I was happy at 5/8". Now 1/2" feels a little less grippy than I'd like. 7/16" is probably next.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Samesies.

I tried 1/2" about a month ago and it was awful. After 2 games I went back to 7/16".

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

What do those fractions actually represent? It's obviously not the depth of the concavity. Is it like the diameter of the grinder or something?

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013
Yep, think of the hollow as the radius of a circle. The larger the circle, like a 1" cut, the more shallow the hollow. The smaller the circle, like a 3/8" cut, the deeper the hollow. Generally, larger fellows and summer ice call for a shallow hollow.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

thengeance posted:

Yep, think of the hollow as the radius of a circle. The larger the circle, like a 1" cut, the more shallow the hollow. The smaller the circle, like a 3/8" cut, the deeper the hollow. Generally, larger fellows and summer ice call for a shallow hollow.

Okay, yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm assuming the latter is because larger fellows dig into the ice more with their weight and summer ice is softer, respectively?

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013
Right on, as far as I know. I'm a bigger guy at 220 and I don't go sharper than 1/2" on my goal skates or 7/16" on my player skates.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The places around me will default to 5/8" unless you specify.

Total Hockey sometimes will ask, and one time I had a brain fart and said 3/8". That was a bad time. I remember going on the ice and my skating felt slow, and when I went to stop I nearly flipped over.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So tonight's game owned:
http://stats.rv.zev.net/oss-scoresheet.php?game_id=14099

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

First a guy boarded someone enough to get a game misconduct. The victim grabs this guys facemask violently enough to get a game misconduct? I admit I didn't know that was an infraction. I guess this rule is to prevent guys from whipping people around by the cage?

A fight ensued and someone from the boarding dude's team was a 3rd man in followed by the mathematically challenging second 3rd man in?

This score sheet is all types of confusing. It sounds like the Mutiny guy was fighting players in a series, like a 70's Kung-Fu movie.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Does anyone know where I can get replacement screws for a Bauer Vapor XVR Lite inline skate? They use round screws for a 2-piece axle similar to the Mission skates. It’s been a total bitch to find any screws, and it’s made me realize that the type of axels this skate uses are completely different from the axles Bauer or Mission use now. Meaning if I ever lose an axle, then I’m totally hosed and would need to buy an entirely new skate.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Loqieu posted:

Does anyone know where I can get replacement screws for a Bauer Vapor XVR Lite inline skate? They use round screws for a 2-piece axle similar to the Mission skates. It’s been a total bitch to find any screws, and it’s made me realize that the type of axels this skate uses are completely different from the axles Bauer or Mission use now. Meaning if I ever lose an axle, then I’m totally hosed and would need to buy an entirely new skate.

It seems whenever I've needed any particular skate screw, one of the pro shops in the area invariably had them. Though, perhaps if they're a significantly older model that might be a different scenario. Any chance you could post a pic of the screw and / or setup?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll try 5/8 next time.

It really threw me off because I've been doing 7/16 pretty much since day one and have never had an issue with it. I guess summer snuck up on me or something. Or maybe the guy behind the counter actually gave me 7/16 this time and everyone else previously was giving me whatever the wheel was dressed for.

:iiam:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

oddIXIbbo posted:

First a guy boarded someone enough to get a game misconduct. The victim grabs this guys facemask violently enough to get a game misconduct? I admit I didn't know that was an infraction. I guess this rule is to prevent guys from whipping people around by the cage?

A fight ensued and someone from the boarding dude's team was a 3rd man in followed by the mathematically challenging second 3rd man in?

This score sheet is all types of confusing. It sounds like the Mutiny guy was fighting players in a series, like a 70's Kung-Fu movie.

You actually nailed it spot-on. Nice job.

It was an ugly boarding (100% intentional based upon previous play) hit that could have turned out much worse than the sore neck/back he has. Our guy got hit from behind, went head first into the glass. He then got up, dropped his gloves, grabbed other dude's cage and threw him down by it. Then proceeded to punch guy in cage without gloves. Then 2 of his teammates piled on our guy.

Yes, his knuckles were all bloody afterward. Why do you ask?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have no idea what hollow I use and haven't for years.

On the plus side I got my skates sharpened for the first time in like 4 months last week.