Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Corb3t posted:

Welp, I ordered two bottles of the Empirical x Doritos spirit. I'll be using it in tequila and mezcal margeritas and bloody marys. And as a gimmicky shot of some sort.

Is it a good gimmick? Does it work even though it's weird or is it a lazy cash grab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Carillon posted:

Is it a good gimmick? Does it work even though it's weird or is it a lazy cash grab?

So Empirical uses vacuum distillation and apparently one of their early pilot batches used Doritos and it was so popular with chefs who tasted it that they had to release it. Apparently the flavor is spot on, but it's really up to you whether or not it's worth the gimmick - I've heard it works pretty well with tequila and lime juice.

Empirical has some other spirits distilled from Pasille peppers, Plum pits, and Sorghum Juice that all sound unique and interesting, but it's hard to justify when there other higher priced spirits I'd rather add to the bar.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I had a Doritos gose once and it was weirdly tasty, though I wouldn't be able to drink more than 1 per session.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I think I nailed down a local restaurant’s cocktail called The Usual.

1.5 oz Wild Turkey 101 rye whiskey
.5 oz Amaro Nardini
.25 oz Demerara syrup
1 dash Fee Brothers Black Walnut bitters
Lemon peel expressed on top

Served in an old fashioned glass with a big cube of ice.

Excellent. Nardini has three big flavors - bitter orange, peppermint, and milk chocolate. Amaro Lucano works as a substitute.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Tonight I think I nailed down a local restaurant’s cocktail called The Usual.

1.5 oz Wild Turkey 101 rye whiskey
.5 oz Amaro Nardini
.25 oz Demerara syrup
1 dash Fee Brothers Black Walnut bitters
Lemon peel expressed on top

Served in an old fashioned glass with a big cube of ice.

Excellent. Nardini has three big flavors - bitter orange, peppermint, and milk chocolate. Amaro Lucano works as a substitute.
I have made this exact drink as a pocket cocktail for the last 5-6 years. 1.5 Whiskey + 0.5 Amaro + Black Walnut bitters is a banger every time

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Is there anything worthwhile I can get at the Frankfurt airport that isn't readily available in the US? I know duty free is mostly a joke these days (unless you live somewhere with really punitive liquor taxes), but I'm flying directly home from Europe and figure I should take advantage of not having to check a bag full of liquor on a connection.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

lavaca posted:

Is there anything worthwhile I can get at the Frankfurt airport that isn't readily available in the US? I know duty free is mostly a joke these days (unless you live somewhere with really punitive liquor taxes), but I'm flying directly home from Europe and figure I should take advantage of not having to check a bag full of liquor on a connection.

so the real appeal of global travel retail (GTR, corps gotta corp) is the number of otherwise unavailable releases— age statements, barrel finishes, and steady prices on things that are otherwise heavily allocated in your place of origin. it's less "get a handle of X for the price of a fifth" and more "this 15 year old single malt is only available at Heathrow". Cool stuff, if you like pouring friends something they almost certainly haven't had before without having to be the kinda guy who pays a grognard to "scalp dusties" or hucks money at the latest micro batch release aged in bat guano caves.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly I just plain didn't even think to check an actual store for it while I was actually there, but the display of Havana Club I walked by at Toronto City Airport on the flight home hit its mark true

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I think Cut and Dry might be the best thing I’ve ever tasted. I tried making a 50/50 shot with that and Stiggins and I was just annoyed that the C&D flavor was diluted by it.

Kinda thinkin about getting that coconut monster from the label on my thigh as my first tattoo.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Finally had sparkling wine, and the Sbagliato is fine, but you really miss the gin.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Honestly I just plain didn't even think to check an actual store for it while I was actually there, but the display of Havana Club I walked by at Toronto City Airport on the flight home hit its mark true

Havana Club 7 isn’t anywhere near the best rum in the world, but it’s a really solid dark rum and a great mixer for 20-some EUR/GBP/CHF and it’s legit Cuban so nobody in the states will have had it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yeah no that's what I meant lol, my eyes didn't goggle out of my head at a rare find but it was "hey I can't get this in the states so why not grab a couple bottles"

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
My local had Planteray Cut and Dry Coconut Rum, limit one per customer, so I bought one.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I picked up some Cynar and Ancho Reyes today. Cynar tastes very much like a minutely sweeter Campari, and Ancho Reyes tastes like a sweet chocolate fire demon trying to possess my body. Any good recipes for either? I'm gonna try a Bitter Guiseppe for the Cynar tonight because that name is too hilarious to pass up.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Those are two of my favorite fun bottles, and a Bitter Guiseppe is a great place to start. Looking at my favorites on mixel for Cynar, we got Artichoke Hold, The Art of the Choke, Mustache Ride, Bitters & Smoke, Intrepid, and Les Paul. I'm now seeing a drink I haven't made before called Yesterday, Today, and Amaro that I'm going to be making this weekend for sure.

For ancho, I don't really have named cocktails I use it in. I'll just add .25-.75oz to manhattans, old fashioneds with different spirits (really good with a nice anejo tequila), and any other cocktail I think could use a kick. If you want to use both bottles in one cocktail, you got the Bearcat, Pas De Loup, and the Chile Choke. I haven't made any of those, but now I'm curious.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I use Cynar instead of Campari in my boulevardiers. I like the dark bitter over the bright bitter.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

there's 2 strengths of Cynar, right?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Yeah Cynar and Cynest

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
lol

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

there's 2 strengths of Cynar, right?

Yep, Cynar and Cynar 70. Now that I have 70,it's hard for me to go back. With OGD114 as the base, it's killer.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Is 70 widely available? I agree I prefer it to the og but I haven't seen a bottle in over a year in eastern MA. I haven't been trying to find it but it seemed like initially it was available every where

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Horn posted:

Is 70 widely available? I agree I prefer it to the og but I haven't seen a bottle in over a year in eastern MA. I haven't been trying to find it but it seemed like initially it was available every where

I've never seen it around here on the shelves (MI). Our local place has it sometimes, but I don't know if they picked it up from distribution or on the side.

I picked it up at a bar in St Louis a couple of years ago when the owner overheard my brother and I talking about our cocktails in deep detail.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Ohio stocks it most places in the cities, at least. I've never really had any trouble

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Professor Wayne posted:

Those are two of my favorite fun bottles, and a Bitter Guiseppe is a great place to start. Looking at my favorites on mixel for Cynar, we got Artichoke Hold, The Art of the Choke, Mustache Ride, Bitters & Smoke, Intrepid, and Les Paul. I'm now seeing a drink I haven't made before called Yesterday, Today, and Amaro that I'm going to be making this weekend for sure.

For ancho, I don't really have named cocktails I use it in. I'll just add .25-.75oz to manhattans, old fashioneds with different spirits (really good with a nice anejo tequila), and any other cocktail I think could use a kick. If you want to use both bottles in one cocktail, you got the Bearcat, Pas De Loup, and the Chile Choke. I haven't made any of those, but now I'm curious.
So the Bitter Guiseppe actually didn't work for me, but I suspect that maybe my vermouth has turned which is more the culprit. So I chased it with an Artichoke Hold because ironically I'd also picked up some St. Germain and I just made a fresh bottle of orgeat, and that's a very find beverage indeed. Weirdly enough it reminds me of a QB Cooler despite having very different ingredients.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I made a regular ol' Whiskey Sour with 1.5 Old Forrester and .5 Ancho Reyes and wow that's an eye opener. I may even go 1.25 bourbon and .75 Ancho next time.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Esmeralda:

- 2.0 oz Rye
- 0.5 oz ancho Reyes verde
- 0.375 oz punt e mes
- 0.125 oz fernet Vallet

Garnish: Maraschino Cherry speared within a slice of poblano pepper.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
I've got a request to bring pre-batched old fashioneds to an event. I'm using Kevin Kos' Prebatched Cocktail calculator for 3L of old fashioneds.

I've got the breakdown as follows:

Kevin Kos' PreBatched Cocktails posted:

Whiskey (40 % ABV)
2556 g
Angostura Bitters
51.44 g
Rich Demerara Syrup
304 g
20% Saline Solution
3.63 g
Water, for a ready to drink version
906 g

Let's say I don't have the time to make rich syrup, would I just essentially double the amount for a total of 608 g simple syrup? Unfortunately having a 1.5 year old and work has been kicking my rear end so I just want to have the sheer basic OF pre-batched right now as a party favor. I'll be bringing plenty of candied cherries and orange peels but I'm just too tired to add any more flair unfortunately.

My first time making this much of a big batched cocktail and from what I heard I should taste repeatedly until completion and be light on the bitters, is there anything else to watch out for?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
No, doubling up with simple instead of rich will make the drink way too sweet.

Edit: by weight rich syrup is 1.33x as sweet as simple syrup.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 30, 2024

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

No, doubling up with simple instead of rich will make the drink way too sweet.

Edit: by weight rich syrup is 1.33x as sweet as simple syrup.

Yeah poo poo I should’ve googled more. Thank you!!

Googling even more would it be recommended to sub maple syrup for rich in a 1:1 or close to 1:1 ratio (while copiously tasting)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It takes 5 mins to make syrup.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah lol, I wasn’t gonna say anything because the way you want to do it will work, but you definitely spent more time researching how to convert rich into simple in a recipe than it would have taken to just make rich syrup.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah lol, I wasn’t gonna say anything because the way you want to do it will work, but you definitely spent more time researching how to convert rich into simple in a recipe than it would have taken to just make rich syrup.

That's fair. I'll make some tonight. Thanks again everybody!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I found this recipe while searching for cocktails to make with St. Germain. I don't know if it has an official name or anything but since it's a Last Word formula I've been calling it a Good Word (the St. Germain and all).

Equal Parts:

London Dry Gin (I tried making it with a locally sourced non-LD Gin that was more citrus forward and it wasn't as crisp)
Lemon Juice
St. Germain
Aperol

Is this a pre-existing drink of any renown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
A Bitter Elder has the same ingredients but different ratios.