Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't know who Vicki Vox is, beyond the person with maybe the absolute most annoying ad I've heard for a podcast.

Sounds like a rejected Kroll character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

ManoliIsFat posted:

He didn't mention Hidden Fortress or Kurosawa once! When they were talking about the wipes I was going craaaazy.

The fact that they haven't brought up samurai movies at all makes them bad expert fans.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Id much rather have Gemberling and Gabrus, guys who grew up watching the films but don’t hold them as the epicenter of their existence, rather than some dweeb who acts like an encyclopedia of all things Star Wars.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Brock Samson posted:

Sounds like a rejected Kroll character.

I actually thought it was Kroll at first, since the ad sounds exactly like one of his Big Mouth characters.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Id much rather have Gemberling and Gabrus, guys who grew up watching the films but don’t hold them as the epicenter of their existence, rather than some dweeb who acts like an encyclopedia of all things Star Wars.

On the one hand I do kind of agree with this, but on the other hand I think that as Lauren Lapkus and Nicole Byer have absolutely no knowledge or context of Star Wars and use the guest to ask questions to fill them in on things, the guest should at least know bare minimum basics.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
If you think bare minimum basics for appreciating Star Wars movies include citing Kurosawa and where wipe transitions came from, you’re part of the problem.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I’ve been hanging around Star Wars nerds my whole life and no ones tried to talk to me about or brag about knowing that stuff. Seems like more of a cinephile thing. Which I would take over someone explaining vibroblades to me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

They've talked about the books and games and other such stuff so I hate to inform you that while they are funny guys they are also...dweebs!!!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Srice posted:

They've talked about the books and games and other such stuff so I hate to inform you that while they are funny guys they are also...dweebs!!!

Gemberling was on Gabrus’s podcast once and he talked about how excited he was for Star Citizen. He’s a major dweeb.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The fact that they haven't brought up samurai movies at all makes them bad expert fans.

Gabrus brings them up in this episode, though. "They're basically samurai movies, which rules." He didn't start name-dropping a bunch, but he's clearly reading the room and is being light on the extraneous details. He even says "Oh yeah, I could ramble off a bunch of bullshit at you guys, but why would you care?"

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Newcomers has a pretty fun premise for a podcast, but maybe Lapkus and Byer just aren't the right hosts for it. They were on their phones the entire time they "tried" to watch The Empire Strikes Back, which is pretty lame and doesn't really lead to a lot of interesting discussion.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i enjoyed it a lot and do not at all want the "serious discussion of star wars" podcast. not even one bit.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

cams posted:

i enjoyed it a lot and do not at all want the "serious discussion of star wars" podcast. not even one bit.

Nor do I, champ.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Haven’t seen it posted here, but looks like all of the Superego backlog is for sale on their website now.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

gently caress Your Website posted:

If you think bare minimum basics for appreciating Star Wars movies include citing Kurosawa and where wipe transitions came from, you’re part of the problem.
I certainly don't think it's necessary for appreciating Star Wars! But Hidden Fortress and Hero with a Thousand Faces are way more shallow references (Lucas talked about them all the time) than anything about Starkiller or character names we only know through the toys.

I love the podcast, though. I think it might be too short. Their questions are great, and they keep saying they hate it but as they talk about it they get more and more enthusiastic.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 6, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ManoliIsFat posted:

I love the podcast, though. I think it might be too short. Their questions are great, and they keep saying they hate it but as they talk about it they get more and more enthusiastic.

I think it's too short as well. I could do a half hour more, easy.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

EL BROMANCE posted:

Id much rather have Gabrus, and Carl tart on all ear wolf shows.

Fixed this for you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can’t disagree, Carl Alarm was amazing for a one off and the Gino Lombardo show is like a multi episode version of that.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

EL BROMANCE posted:

Can’t disagree, Carl Alarm was amazing for a one off and the Gino Lombardo show is like a multi episode version of that.

Nice. I don’t know if I know Carl Alarm?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

"Do you just wanna say Gabrus' name?"

The entire last 10 minutes or so of that HH episode had me gasping for air. Great guest.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tacier posted:

The entire last 10 minutes or so of that HH episode had me gasping for air. Great guest.

I kept waiting to get tired of the bit and I never did. Really great stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Snowmankilla posted:

Nice. I don’t know if I know Carl Alarm?

Earwolf Presents, posted Jan 28 2019. Thought it was super funny and hoped they’d do more.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

gently caress Your Website posted:

Every good Star Wars film was ripping off other cool movies, the ones that didn’t are all poo poo. You might as well talk about where the good ones came from

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Matt Apodaca was the guest producer on the latest HDTGM mini-episode. Didn't really contribute anything huge, but it was just weird to hear him talking to Paul Scheer now that I've gotten used to him on HDTGP.

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
I love Laci Mosley and this Scam Goddess with Paul Scheer is hilarious.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

the Insane Piano posted:

Haha, I came here to post exactly this!

Also, I forget which podcast, but one recent one Paul was on, he mentioned that child protective services was called on his parents once. I feel like story that has to be the ultimate pinnacle of the sad Paul childhood stories.

Terror Sweat posted:

Every good Star Wars film was ripping off other cool movies, the ones that didn’t are all poo poo. You might as well talk about where the good ones came from

And wouldn't you know it, their guest for the ROTJ episode makes just this point. (Their guest was Emily Yoshida who has also done multiple Star Wars episodes of Blank Check)

Also, how could she have mentioned that the Holiday Special is about Wookiees without adding it's about Chewie's wife and son? I feel like they would actually like to know that considering their thoughts on Chewbacca.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

the Insane Piano posted:

I've been a big fan of Laci appearances in shows over the years, and I love that she just has her own show now.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
In memory of The Good Place let's all reminisce about that time Jameela Jamil told an extended story about a dog who used to jack off with his paws while watching a dog park out a window and compared it to Sean's relationship with Hollywood

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 12, 2020

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

That's one of my favorite episodes of the entire show and it's a go to relisten. Jamil clicks with them immediately and Sean is clearly in the head space for some great self depreciation. It works really well as an introduction to HH too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Rory Scovel episode was really really good this week.

"Please. Think into a jar an hour before you go to sleep."

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Mr. Hugh Man Bean

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

go to Raytheon.com and use promo code theboys

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I would unironically listen to a full episode of Holy In One.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Kevin slam dunking the end of that episode was a refreshing surprise.

"Gotta go past."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Today's Pro Version is super, super good as well. "When you're telling a real story, you will often pepper in 'This was normal.'"

Seaniqua posted:

Kevin slam dunking the end of that episode was a refreshing surprise.

"Gotta go past."

"Did you see the new Sonic the Hedgehog trailer? God drat It!"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

Today's Pro Version is super, super good as well. "When you're telling a real story, you will often pepper in 'This was normal.'"

Mm. Snakey beans.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It was funny that they played the "engineer cody filthy liar" clip as well.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Carl Tart on off book. He is great, and I always forget how talented Jessica is. She has an amazing voice. I just can’t get into random eps, so that sucks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To me, Off Book is... less than the sum of its parts. Everyone is talented and the songs are good and the improv is fun and it's all just kinda... there. A few early ones connected with me, and I've been a regular at live musical improv shows before so I like the form, but I find myself having every episode I try paused 1/3 in with no desire to start it up again. I was hoping it would finally click with me like Spont eventually did, but I think it's just a giant wall of silliness without enough grounding. But I can't fault anyone involved for not giving it their all or being super talented.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Yeah. I love it when it is people I love, but feel the same way a chunk of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, I only listen when I love the guest or when people are raving about the episode (eg Attorney At Love) and even then I notice pretty quickly that they repeat the same song styles a LOT. They are all insanely talented though.