Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'm not really fazed about the show because I have zero expectations of it, except I can't stand the dude playing Elrond. It's completely unfair but there's something about his face I just can't stand :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Heavenly creatures was much bigger as a rental after its Oscar buzz iirc

It was awhile ago

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm not really fazed about the show because I have zero expectations of it, except I can't stand the dude playing Elrond. It's completely unfair but there's something about his face I just can't stand :shrug:

At least it's not just me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's the guy who played Young Ned Stark in game of Thrones and he looks like he stole his chin from a much older and larger man.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Hugo Weaving was also a lovely Elrond, they’re just continuing the tradition.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kaysette posted:

I'd like to see you do any better.
How fair is your brow?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

euphronius posted:

Heavenly creatures was much bigger as a rental after its Oscar buzz iirc

It was awhile ago

He also did The Frighteners, with Michael J. Fox, which was a fun entertaining little movie with a good plot and jump scares.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kaysette posted:

Hugo Weaving's Elrond felt a little too severe for my tastes. I always pictured Elrond to be more serious but regal. Hugo played him too grim imo, though that may have been a PJ choice more than anything.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Jackson fukken nailed it with casting, even if some of it was happy accidents.

Can you imagine a world where Sean Connery had not turned down Gandalf or that other dude was not last minute replaced by Viggo?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

he looks like a MENSA member

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

WoodrowSkillson posted:

False. Everything sucks and will only get worse.

Counterpoint: eucatastrophe

https://twitter.com/ASFleischman/status/1554863615320227846

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The only scene that Weaving really gets any chance to act as Elrond is the Council, which is a matter-of-fact discussion of a grim and serious threat. The joyful side of Elrond comes out in all the scenes from the book that aren't included in the film - notably I'm thinking of him joking around with Bilbo in the Hall of Fire. So it's less a fault of Weaving's acting or PJ's directing as it is a necessary fact of adapting a long-rear end book into a three-hour movie.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Hobbit cartoon did a fairly reasonable job at depicting him I think.

That guy's a little decrepit but I can see him being described as "kind as Christmas" at least

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

jackson's vulcan elves sucked

it wouldn't have taken that many extra minutes to show them goofing around

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pretty sure you're in the wrong thread here.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

False. Everything sucks and will only get worse.

...despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Oracle posted:

Pretty sure you're in the wrong thread here.

Sharing the joy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We had it on good authority that Morgoth Bauglir, Father of Lies, never wants for a harvest and though he might be forever shut away from Arda his texts bear dark fruit even unto the latest days

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Data Graham posted:

We had it on good authority that Morgoth Bauglir, Father of Lies, never wants for a harvest and though he might be forever shut away from Arda his texts bear dark fruit even unto the latest days

And we have it on even better authority that even in this, he shall prove but Eru's instrument in the devising of things yet more wonderful.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Devlan Mud posted:

It’s not like the Game of Thrones guys had an enormous IMDB page and the first few seasons turned out okay.

Yeah, the ones where they got to adapt complete works and had the author involved in the creative process. Then they crashed and burned when they needed to flesh out an incomplete summary with their own content. Not exactly the most encouraging precedent to cite here. :v:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I am completely prepared for any Amazon show to be poo poo, but I have seen no deal breakers yet in the advertising.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

I recently finished the 4k extended editions on HBOMax in preparation for the show. I actually think I prefer the theatrical version of ROTK to the extended edition, though my ideal cut would've included all the added stuff with Frodo/Sam between Cirith Ungol and Mount Doom. Don't get me wrong, I really like almost all the extended stuff individually, but I think some of it disrupts the pacing and some of it just feels like fat.

I think the best way to watch the trilogy is: FOTR: Extended --> TTT: Extended --> ROTK: Theatrical

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The 47 times ROTK extended makes anyone who hasn't read the books but has seen a lot of movies think, "Annnnd The End. Right? No, still going..." is almost trollish. It really does do everything cinematic language does to signal "the end" about a dozen times.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And still, famously, leaves out a lot of the denouement of the book.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The thing that always sticks out to me for the extended ROTK version is how Ian McKellen starts dying smoking his pipe when he talks about Pippin joining the service of Denethor. In the theatrical run he sounds amused by the development but in the extended cut he's pissed off and I don't know why they used that take.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaSZNPscvFU

New featurette. Doesn't really say much we don't already know but people are naturally furious.

Me personally I'm mostly lamenting thar we never use natural light in films anymore and using digital lighting and colour filters is a poor substitute.

Dear god the toxic backlash to this show is on a level I have never seen. I also imagine the million people all posting the same idiotic youtube comment gimmick at the behest of their rage fueled psychotic youtube culture pundits are ones to often use the word "sheep".

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

AccountSupervisor posted:

the million people all posting the same idiotic youtube comment gimmick

I don't get what they're trying to do. they're doing the classic "quote from a genre film but all the elements are mixed up from other films" meme but that doesn't really make any sense in the context of this youtube comment section, and even further doesn't make sense as a negative-review-bomb type strategy. Is this really supposed to be some kind of epic own against the "woke" show? What are they trying to say???

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Probably that it's generic, not different than any other action movie out of Hollywood.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Probably that it's generic, not different than any other action movie out of Hollywood.

well i guess they're probably right about that but idk why that would motivate a whole mob of comment-bombing. i just assumed it had to be culture war poo poo

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Gresh posted:

I think the best way to watch the trilogy is: FOTR: Extended --> TTT: Extended --> ROTK: Theatrical

This is what I did for my last rewatch and I gotta agree. I missed seeing a few things but it was already long enough.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Arc Hammer posted:

The thing that always sticks out to me for the extended ROTK version is how Ian McKellen starts dying smoking his pipe when he talks about Pippin joining the service of Denethor. In the theatrical run he sounds amused by the development but in the extended cut he's pissed off and I don't know why they used that take.

Yeah that was a bizarre Lucas eque choice.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

DontMockMySmock posted:

I don't get what they're trying to do. they're doing the classic "quote from a genre film but all the elements are mixed up from other films" meme but that doesn't really make any sense in the context of this youtube comment section, and even further doesn't make sense as a negative-review-bomb type strategy. Is this really supposed to be some kind of epic own against the "woke" show? What are they trying to say???

The joke is that they think the series is inaccurate and unfaithful to the source material, cue endless "use the Force, Harry" knee-slappers.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

people read youtube comments?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Just finished reading children of hurin for the first time and goddamn sucks to be that family

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tom Smykowski posted:

Just finished reading children of hurin for the first time and goddamn sucks to be that family

I believe this was word-for-word on the inside jacket flap.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
A new LOTR video game just got announced, but we don't know much about it other than its existence.

quote:

“It’s a privilege to create a new game set in Middle-earth, especially one that’s so different from what fans have played previously,” said Amie Wolken, Head of Interactive at Wētā Workshop. “As fans ourselves, we’re excited for gamers to explore Middle-earth in a way they never have before, and introduce new fans to the magic of The Lord of the Rings.”

This title is in early development and does not yet have an announced release date. It is expected to launch during Take-Two’s Fiscal Year 2024. Private Division and Wētā Workshop look forward to sharing more details about this game in the future.
https://www.privatedivision.com/2022/08/15/private-division-announces-publishing-partnership-with-weta-workshop/

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

they sure as poo poo better give me more shadows of war with the show coming out god dammit

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So we don’t even know what genre it might be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Elf lord dating sim