Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

They made an incredibly obvious statement of "You don't need to know, it's not actually important, he's Sherlock loving Holmes. It's about him and Watson." throughout the episode. People missed the point of that, much like they missed the point of the programme openly mocking the people who had been obsessing over how it was done.

Yeah, I mean, what kind of obsessive nerd expects mysteries to have solutions in a Sherlock Holmes story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sober posted:

Search is still down I think but I can't seem to remember there even being a thread for Halt and Catch Fire on SA.

That being said, yeah, I think the premise of the show is cool but I don't know if it's sexy enough even for the Mad Men crowd who may not be so technically inclined.

God damnit. Thanks for the description. The commercials didn't say much about it, and I was hoping it was the next Rubicon.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

If you want hilarity check out the Sherlock thread (this is in no way thread pimping) and watch the hilarious slapfighting. It's borderline BAD THREAD in some spots.

For what it's worth, I liked season 3, particularly episode 2, and probably had the "goal" reaction to the last ten seconds which was screaming and flailing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I mean, what kind of obsessive nerd expects mysteries to have solutions in a Sherlock Holmes story?

Do you even know what the resolution was to the original Reichenbach Falls 'death'? He climbed up, fell down, then ran away. I prefer the mystery.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The difference is that ACD didn't write that story expecting to not actually have to kill off Sherlock, I assume the BBC guys knew it was a fake out before hand.

New The Strain Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uALG7kjctzM

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 3, 2014

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The problem is they tried to have it both ways; suggesting there was something to figure out, then tossing that aside, saying it didn't matter. Either one of those alone would be fine, but together it's some JJ Abrams level bullshit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

The difference is that ACD didn't write that story expecting to not actually have to kill off Sherlock, I assume the BBC guys knew it was a fake out before hand.

New The Strain Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uALG7kjctzM

Did they really have to give Corey Stoll that wig?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

muscles like this? posted:

Did they really have to give Corey Stoll that wig?

Its Del Toro, everything he directs is littered with bad decisions the moment you look away from the monster design.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

I just watched the pilot to Sherlock

Now I'm no sociopathic savant but I kinda figured out every single plot twist and turn before Sherlock did, which is kind of stupid when it's a show about the greatest detective of all time

You should be watching less good TV and more Last Man Standing. So go finish your Toxx now. I told you before not to post in here until it was done or you had made significant progress on it. Watching two more episodes since then is not significant progress. You posted that Luigi thing so I let you slide on it, but now it's time to finish it up dude.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

PriorMarcus posted:

Its Del Toro, everything he directs is littered with bad decisions the moment you look away from the monster design.

Please elaborate?

Trailer looks awesome. The Master and his big robe are really well designed.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I just saw the trailer for Red Band Society and I'm pretty sure that show will be the death of me.

EDIT: In case you haven't seen it, http://youtu.be/JPEI4CnAC4c

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks super depressing. Probably skipping that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DivisionPost posted:

I just saw the trailer for Red Band Society and I'm pretty sure that show will be the death of me.

EDIT: In case you haven't seen it, http://youtu.be/JPEI4CnAC4c

Oh, I've been meaning to ask you... Gravity Falls, what's it like?

I caught a random episode on TV last week and it was the two main characters traveling in time using a tape measure at a fairground. It was pretty good. Is that indicative of the show in general? Is their an on going story? Where can I catch up? Etc...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PriorMarcus posted:

I caught a random episode on TV last week and it was the two main characters traveling in time using a tape measure at a fairground. It was pretty good. Is that indicative of the show in general? Is their an on going story? Where can I catch up? Etc...

Gravity Falls is pretty great, there is continuity but not much.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PriorMarcus posted:

Hey, good for you, you found something you actually like! /BrooklynBruiser

In all seriousness though, Time Traveler's Pig is actually one of the middling episodes of the series, so if you enjoyed that, you'll be game for the rest of it.

But yes, there's an ongoing story. IRQ says it's not a major presence, but I'd argue that it's more continuity-dependent than Adventure Time, so start from the first episode. (Naturally this means that the older fanbase for this show can be kind of lovely, so have fun with that.) Lucky for you, that first episode comes out swinging. Other great episodes: "The Inconveniencing," "Double Dipper" (their take on Multiplicity, with an inspired variation of its best gag), "The Deep End," and "Boyz Crazy." It gets a little rocky with "Dipper vs. Manliness" and "Fight Fighters," but even those episodes have their moments.

As far as where to find it, I can't help you with that, I don't think it's streaming anywhere. But when you do catch up, be warned; the airing schedule is obnoxious and erratic. Season one was 20 episodes, it premiered June of 2012 and concluded August of 2013, and all they're saying about Season 2 so far is "this summer." If the mature Gravity Falls fanbase (oh God I'm gonna hurl just typing that out, I'm so sorry) had a motto, it'd be "Welcome to the suck."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Slamhound posted:

The problem is they tried to have it both ways; suggesting there was something to figure out, then tossing that aside, saying it didn't matter. Either one of those alone would be fine, but together it's some JJ Abrams level bullshit.

Whoah whoah whoah. Let's not say anything we can't take back here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's no thread for it here but last night on American Ninja Warrior for the first time ever a woman completed the qualifying course and it was pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mirMEsFI07o

Seeing someone that tiny getting up the Warped Wall was pretty amazing. She even ended up doing better than her boyfriend and trainer who's one of the best Americans to ever compete in Ninja Warrior. He ended up falling on the rings.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
American Ninja Warrior still exists? I used to love that poo poo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

This is the sixth season. The Japanese version is about to have its 30th competition next month. Though the last few never aired on American TV. It's on NBC on Mondays this season for two hours. And it's beating everything else in the ratings including 24.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

precision posted:

It's on Hulu.

Deadpool posted:

There's no thread for it here but last night on American Ninja Warrior for the first time ever a woman completed the qualifying course and it was pretty awesome.

Seeing someone that tiny getting up the Warped Wall was pretty amazing. She even ended up doing better than her boyfriend and trainer who's one of the best Americans to ever compete in Ninja Warrior. He ended up falling on the rings.

Seeing this impressed me so much. What an amazing person. She's only 5 feet tall, she jumped freaking 10 feet, amazing.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I had no idea that American Ninja Warrior was a thing that existed. I'll have to check out more of these.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Jingleheimer posted:

I had no idea that American Ninja Warrior was a thing that existed. I'll have to check out more of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItvFaV-tI3g

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

That is one fantastic thumbnail.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

The dumb thing with that show is that the qualifier is different for each city. It makes it better for TV of course, but it means some people get a harder course than others.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

The dumb thing with that show is that the qualifier is different for each city. It makes it better for TV of course, but it means some people get a harder course than others.

This is true. The rings were much tougher than the handlebars in the previous city.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

This is true. The rings were much tougher than the handlebars in the previous city.

I'd argue that the rings allowed for a bit more reach than the handlebars did. For the handlebars, you needed exact precision, but if you got it in, you'd be more stable. The rings can cause you to fall much easier because of lack of balance, however, in exchange you don't require as much force on your triceps when you move (because of the extra reach). So where the handlebars required you use bend your arms in an L-position, you could keep your arms vertical on rings.

I think it's a fair trade off. Balance vs. Strength.

:stare:

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

That guy was a BEAST.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm rewatching Sherlock season 3 right now and I can confidently say that if you don't find enjoyment in it you are a JERK.

A JERK I tell you!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

the commentators on this are great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DoctorWhat posted:

the commentators on this are great.

They are good commentators but this was also fake. No streakers were actually harmed!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Deadpool posted:

They are good commentators but this was also fake. No streakers were actually harmed!

Aaawwww, bummer!
get it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, AV Club posted a gigantic spoiler for last night's Fargo in one of their most recent articles. And it's in one where even just seeing the title of the show within the article is a massive spoiler in itself.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Decius posted:

Loeb wanted self-contained stories and the showrunners wanted to get their arc through before the end, which resulted in a rushed and not very coherent last season.
Yeah I've heard Loeb was to blame. And hearing that it was his decision to create the current Marvel cartons lineup and hearing the Hannibal-level poo poo that was the Ultimatum comics series, welp :stare:

Decius posted:

That's not really a statement saying anything. Less offensive to Fae? Less offensive to PoC? Less offensive to Spirits of Intellect? Less offensive to women? Less offensive to Vampires? Less offensive to Chicago? Less offensive to basement dwelling nerds who burn down buildings accidently?
Less offensive to women I guess? As in less sexist than the books?

Mu Zeta posted:

Speaking of Assassin's Creed the new show on Fox looks terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC2Nn0lPmfc
It seems like they want to pull of what Sleepy Hollow pulled off but I don't think that's something you can do twice in a row.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Bown posted:

Jesus, AV Club posted a gigantic spoiler for last night's Fargo in one of their most recent articles. And it's in one where even just seeing the title of the show within the article is a massive spoiler in itself.

Thank you for that, I usually check them out but I won't until I've seen it. I saw one on Grantland too that spoiled the most recent '24'. Like ok, talk about the episode, but don't state the drat spoiler in the headline of the article.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of Benedict Cumberbatch, this is awesome:

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/benedict-cumberbatch-impersonates-iggy-pop

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Deadpool posted:

You should be watching less good TV and more Last Man Standing. So go finish your Toxx now. I told you before not to post in here until it was done or you had made significant progress on it. Watching two more episodes since then is not significant progress. You posted that Luigi thing so I let you slide on it, but now it's time to finish it up dude.

deadpool you are a hard master but a fair one

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ravane posted:

It's on Hulu.

It's on NBC in prime time, and they rerun it on Esquire.

Hahah, I thought I saw all of it last year but I never even heard about that part. They let him get so far, they might as well have let him finish!
e: Figures it was fake, if there's one thing the American version lacks it's the entertaining gimmickry of the Japanese version.

Deadpool posted:

And there was also that spinning bridge thing that seemed to destroy the shoulders of about 50% of the competitors.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 4, 2014

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Hannibal at the Zoo

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I'm looking for a recommendation. I thoroughly enjoyed Black Mirrors, Misfits and Utopia. Are there any other BBC type sci-fi that are any good?

Orphan black is kind of boring to me. I'm currently watching Being Human and it's so-so. Black Mirrors was AWESOME. Jekyll was pretty rad up until the last two episodes. Oh and I like Doctor Who but that's popcorn TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Croatoan posted:

So I'm looking for a recommendation. I thoroughly enjoyed Black Mirrors, Misfits and Utopia. Are there any other BBC type sci-fi that are any good?

Not really. I mean, I can't think of any that are as good as Black Mirror or Misfits.

Lost Girl gets surprisingly good in season 2, if you want some cheap monster of the week thrills and The Best Character In A Genre Show, Ever.

• Locked thread