Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

El Pollo Blanco posted:

So given the number of advance votes that should be counted by 7pm, we're going to have a pretty good idea of the results pretty much straight after polls close, aren't we?

We'll need to wait 2 months for Winston's decision to prop up the Nats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Went and voted, had enrolled at new address 2 months ago - wasn't on the roll despite having received the confirmation in the mail and had to special vote. Guess Northcote has a "only on the main roll if you own 5 houses" clause.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I did the vote this morning in Herne Bay. Was pumping.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

They're hoping to have all the advance votes counted by 7:30, which is about 40% of the total votes this time. Last time the advance votes were no different than on-the-day votes in terms of which parties they favoured, so yeah pretty much straight away we'll know the rough distribution of seats. Like I said earlier, best case scenario is we won't know for sure what the government will be like for weeks.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

bike tory posted:

They're hoping to have all the advance votes counted by 7:30, which is about 40% of the total votes this time. Last time the advance votes were no different than on-the-day votes in terms of which parties they favoured, so yeah pretty much straight away we'll know the rough distribution of seats. Like I said earlier, best case scenario is we won't know for sure what the government will be like for weeks.

Like Wandle Cax said, at 7:30 we'll have the advance votes minus special votes (ie anybody who advance voted AND enrolled)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Y'ALL ARE TALKING TOO MUCH SENSIBLE poo poo WHY AREN'T YOU DRINKING ALREADY

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I can't take the likely disappointment of an election party, so I'm just going to stream the rnz coverage and drink beers 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Anyone who goes to an election night party not expecting to be disappointed is an idiot, though.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Drinking a lot of beer all day then moving on to cocktails once it gets dark. Drinking a bunch of Last Words counts as showing my support for the Greens, right?

Not that I am advocating voting for the Greens, on this, the day of the election.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I am drinking very specifically because I expect to be disappointed. If I'm not numb by 7pm I'm doing something wrong.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I went into the election expecting nothing to change, so it's not like I need to shore up against disappointment.

Maybe I'll fry up some risotto and BBQ some saus for it

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
My Waitakere man rear end dad voted greens :3:

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
I talked to my National voting father last night and we both agreed that Gareth Morgan is loving awful.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Not that I am advocating voting for the Greens, on this, the day of the election.
<brando>
You come to me, on this, the day of the election and ask me to vote a specific way?
</brando>

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think I almost convinced mum to vote Green, but she usually votes National and probably did again. My Dad has voted Labour in every election since he could vote, but voted Green this time because he didn't want them to drop below 5%.

Unrelated, stolen from Facebook:

quote:

Election night preview for those who are interested:

Timing
7pm - 8pm: "ordinary" advance votes results come out, which will likely be over 40% of the total vote. So will give a very good indication of the overall picture (only minor changes in seats between advance and official results in recent elections)
8pm - 9pm: lull. A few of the smaller voting places results will trickle in.
9pm - 10pm: Majority of "ordinary" election day votes will be released. 
10pm - late: Speeches by party leaders and (perhaps most importantly if close) we will know the approximate total number of special votes that will be counted over the next 2 weeks. If higher than 350,000 that suggests a potential #youthquake

Things to watch for in party vote
If National are over 46% at the end of the night then they will likely have won
If National + NZ First does not equal a majority of seats on election night then they will likely have lost

Interesting/imporant electorates
By far the most important electorates are those where it is plausible that a 3rd party candidate (non-Labour/National) could win as these could impact on # of seats each party gets in Parliament. Those seats are: all the Māori electorates, Northland, Epsom, Nelson.

Other interesting electorates to watch (just to see who wins out of Labour/National but are not important to overall result) are: Hutt South, Auckland Central, Ōhāriu, Maungakiekie, Christchurch Central, Whanganui, Tukituki, Wairarapa.

For party vote there are a number of electorates that are very close to the national average and could be a good indicator if they report early. The top 3 closest to the national average are: Ōtaki, Hamilton West, Hamilton East.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Time to gently caress my liver up with three years worth of drinking. I voted (last week)! There were a shitload of students voting at Auckland Uni yesterday which was nice to see.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Trompe le Monde posted:

Time to gently caress my liver up with three years worth of drinking. I voted (last week)! There were a shitload of students voting at Auckland Uni yesterday which was nice to see.

Yeah as much as people are crying about how the youth vote isn't out in force I'm pretty sure that's not even a fuckin' story considering the young always have low turnouts unless there's a superstar rock god politician to vote for.

I go through the Queensgate mall on a pretty regular basis these days and I never saw the election area there without a queue out the door over the last few weeks, loads of young people to boot.

I'm gonna get wired on caffeine and do enough game dev to stop myself from giving a poo poo about the election until midnight.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Going to the green party in Lyttleton but wearing a red shirt, is that a faux pas

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

xiw posted:

Going to the green party in Lyttleton but wearing a red shirt, is that a faux pas

Does it have a green trim on the sleeves that can be tucked away when it's inconvenient to be seen with them?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

xiw posted:

I considered going to that but it's way out of the way.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Our flat is watching Twilight tonight so I guess I'll catch up on the election later

emminou
May 25, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

Our flat is watching Twilight tonight so I guess I'll catch up on the election later

ok Winston is obviously Bella, but which of the main parties is Edward and which is Jacob?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shits starting to come in http://www.electionresults.govt.nz/index.html

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

At Green Man rn- whatever the result I'll be too drunk to care

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

National hq at Sky City.

Act hq at Royal NZ Yacht Club.

lol

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
loving Gareth Morgan has the tiniest head on the backdrop graphic on rnzs coverage.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
national is destroying in maungakiekie

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

klen dool posted:

loving Gareth Morgan has the tiniest head on the backdrop graphic on rnzs coverage.

the graphic moves too and he allllmost goes behind Winnie

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
labour ahead in whanganui and chch central, bishop ahead in hutt south

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I want Labour to get Maungakieke even harder than usual because I don't want a council by election there. The Labour candidate at the local body elections was the biggest gently caress up shitlord ever, and it would be embarassing to see him run again if there's a by election.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
things looking tite in ōhāriu

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
A CASH BAR? Outrageous.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

exmarx posted:

national is destroying in maungakiekie

Maungakiekie has become incredibly gentrified over the last 5 or so years, to the point of being close to Epsom lite. I can't see it ever going back to Labour.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I knew it was coming, but I feel sick anyway.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

gently caress National ahead in West Coast even with O'Connor beating Pugh.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i was up in auckland a couple of weeks ago and maungakiekie was painted blue

only 6.2% counted, but labour's a decent amount ahead in auckland central

looks like nash will win napier even without that family first psycho splitting the vote

shane jones is coming in third in whangarei

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Why the gently caress does Stephen Joyce have one of the evil parasites from Babylon 5 growing out of his shoulder?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
looks like nelson will be the electorate to get mad at the greens about this time :sweatdrop:

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

exmarx posted:

looks like nelson will be the electorate to get mad at the greens about this time :sweatdrop:

Electorate seats only matter in the case of overhangs or if you actually live there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I really don't understand my fellow kiwis at all.

Somebody throw a huge dildo at this ugly lying gently caress again please.

• Locked thread