Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The wildly fluctuating power levels of Luke and Matt are bad. Sometimes Luke walks through walls like a loving terminator and can stand in front of speeding vans without budging, sometimes he gets knocked down by a mook who sweeps his leg. Sometimes Matt has the situational awareness of a person who can "see" 360 degrees around themselves in night vision through walls, can track people by scent like a bloodhound, and hear silenced pistols discharge on the 20th floor from the first, sometimes he's not aware a booze soaked Jessica Jones, who he's been tailing, is snapping loud pictures of hes parkour skills from thirty feet away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Matt has to stop and focus and make an idiotic face for things like that, that's pretty consistent.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did the final shot in the series make any sense? I don't even know how that was supposed to have happened. Or if the name was supposed to mean something.

Also I'm pretty frustrated that the Punisher was a no-show, despite the misleading series trailer.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

moths posted:

Also I'm pretty frustrated that the Punisher was a no-show, despite the misleading series trailer.

That wasn't a trailer for the Defenders.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Guy Goodbody posted:

remember when they set up the black guy Hand could do pressure point stuff, and then he fought Luke Cage

:lol: Not in the least. When did that happen?

Narcissus1916 posted:

"CW Level Production."

You mean, like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvTPpP58SaE

That's the big fight for their big rear end crossover last year. And while there's a lot of cheesy CGI, I can at least tell what the drat hell is happening.

Which is more than I can say for anything in the last two Defenders episodes.

I dunno, man, that kinda sucked as much, just in a different way.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 24, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Really glad (and not surprised) they're going with Born Again for DDs3. It's set up perfectly and we can lose the god damned ninja bullshit. You can lose the Karen Page being a hooker junkie crap with no problem and just have Fisk figure it out for himself, which he seemed to be starting to. Wasn't there a scene from season 2 where he sort of tested Matt and for a moment, Matt almost forgot to pretend to act blind?

Any confirmation on Bullseye being in S3 though? Seems like he'd be needed in there and beyond that I want to see what they'd do with him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I once read one vague clickbait article about that but haven't heard anything about Bullseye since.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

HIJK posted:

I once read one vague clickbait article about that but haven't heard anything about Bullseye since.

They'll need another protagonist I think somewhere along the line and FIsk will need some hired professional muscle when he gets out of jail. Nuke seems obvious to include since they've already set him up and he's a central part of the finale in the comic. I expect Castle to appear obviously. Been a while since I've read it but wasn't Bullseye a fair part of that story too?

EDIT: Holy poo poo. I just realized how well the DD Netflix stuff, as portrayed so far, could segue straight into Bendis and Brubaker's run too. They've got at least 5 seasons of material on complete lockdown if they do it right. Season 4 is the Owl, Typhoid Mary and everything Bendis did. S5 is Frank, Wilson and Matt in jail.

Bring it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 24, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

They'll need another protagonist I think somewhere along the line and FIsk will need some hired professional muscle when he gets out of jail. Nuke seems obvious to include since they've already set him up and he's a central part of the finale in the comic. I expect Castle to appear obviously. Been a while since I've read it but wasn't Bullseye a fair part of that story too?

I don't remember much about that story to be honest :v: I always preferred Nocenti's stuff. But I'm not sure Nuke works without Captain America involved as well and Chris Evans won't appear in Daredevil.

We'll see. They may slot Bullseye into Nuke's role. I'm sure they'll find a way to get more stupid ninjas in there too and then Elektra can ride in 10 minutes before the end of the last episode, kill Karen or something, and then Matt will realize he was in love with Elektra all along and then they'll run away together for the last time, for the third time in a row.

send me my loving check Marvel

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just watched the first episode of Defenders yesterday. Wasn't bad, a lot of setup, but I liked seeing Matt and Luke and Jessica doing their things again and Iron Fist was in it too I guess.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

HIJK posted:

I don't remember much about that story to be honest :v: I always preferred Nocenti's stuff. But I'm not sure Nuke works without Captain America involved as well and Chris Evans won't appear in Daredevil.

We'll see. They may slot Bullseye into Nuke's role. I'm sure they'll find a way to get more stupid ninjas in there too and then Elektra can ride in 10 minutes before the end of the last episode, kill Karen or something, and then Matt will realize he was in love with Elektra all along and then they'll run away together for the last time, for the third time in a row.

I don't think Cap was essential but I haven't read DD:BA in a while either. You could use JJ or Luke instead of Cap I think, from what I recall. Nuke is already tied to JJ and now to DD after Defenders so needing an overpowered hero is already right threre. And please, Marvel, no more loving ninjas or Elektra or Stick in DD. Use the Hand for Iron Fist if you must. I'm ninja'd out and they loving sucked in DDs2.

You've already got a Castle and Fisk dynamic working too. Both were highlights of the whole 2nd season. Just build on that and introduce Bullseye somewhere early in S3 after Wilson is released. Tie him into Frank if you have to and say he was some bad rear end sniper from the war that Frank knew was nuts but was really loving good. Make him scary by showing that even Frank knows this cat is crazy accurate and super deadly. Have Fisk send him after Castle.

They need to simplify this stuff a tad and streamline it some, take it down a notch and use what they have already established (except those fuckers killed Ben Urich for some reason). That's what made DDs1 the high water mark for these shows so far and i think they should get back to that a bit.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BiggerBoat posted:

Season 4 is the Owl, Typhoid Mary

Based on a casting description there's a theory that Typhoid Mary is going to be in the next season of JJ

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't think Cap was essential but I haven't read DD:BA in a while either. You could use JJ or Luke instead of Cap I think, from what I recall. Nuke is already tied to JJ and now to DD after Defenders so needing an overpowered hero is already right threre. And please, Marvel, no more loving ninjas or Elektra or Stick in DD. Use the Hand for Iron Fist if you must. I'm ninja'd out and they loving sucked in DDs2.

I mean, I don't disagree, but asking for no more Elektra involvement in DD in particular is probably a lost cause, if they're going to even remotely draw on the comics. (Which they arguably don't need to, but they have done a fair bit of that so far.)

Then again, by that measure, Black Widow should be an integral part of Matt's life by now too and I'm not exactly holding my breath for Scarlett Johanssen to show up.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

You've already got a Castle and Fisk dynamic working too. Both were highlights of the whole 2nd season. Just build on that and introduce Bullseye somewhere early in S3 after Wilson is released. Tie him into Frank if you have to and say he was some bad rear end sniper from the war that Frank knew was nuts but was really loving good. Make him scary by showing that even Frank knows this cat is crazy accurate and super deadly. Have Fisk send him after Castle.

They need to simplify this stuff a tad and streamline it some, take it down a notch and use what they have already established (except those fuckers killed Ben Urich for some reason). That's what made DDs1 the high water mark for these shows so far and i think they should get back to that a bit.

The conflict between Punisher and Fisk was one of the things they got right in season 2, so I'm really hoping they do this (and don't screw it up.......)

I want the quality of DDs1 back to but I just don't have hope.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Seems to me if they had to use Cap for DD:BA (and I'm not convinced they do), they could just recast him and throw someone in the suit (which I hope they don't) but, as I recall, the only thing Cap brought to the book was "I know this guy from the war/military and, yeah, he's crazy", in which case you already have Jessica established and the legwork for that particular dynamic has been done.

Again, I haven't read it in some time but my memory of it is that Cap was just shoved in there near the end as another vet with ties to "the military drugs soldiers" theme, a way to build a cool crossover for the cover and because the story needed an overpowered hero somewhere.

And you guys are probably right that they'll probably loving HAVE to shoehorn Elektra in there but, God, I hope not. I like the actress but have always been lukewarm on the character and am a bit over the whole thing for a while. If you HAD to use her, maybe if they bring in Bullseye they can touch on story beats about how he was originally the one who killed her and just have him gently caress her up sideways instead to establish him as menacing enough. Do it early in the season and let her stagger to Matt's apartment then get her out.

But that already sounds like too much and I'd really like if they boiled down these upcoming shows a bit and re-ground them a touch. More D'Onfrio, Cox, Henson, Wolf and Bernthal crushing every scene they're in please. Less is more and this is a really, really hard story to gently caress up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Guy Goodbody posted:

remember when they set up the black guy Hand could do pressure point stuff, and then he fought Luke Cage, and it's like, oh poo poo, the pressure point stuff could actually hurt Luke, this is going to be a cool fight! And it'll tie into Danny and how everybody poo poo on him for talking about Chi, this is gonna be great! And then none of that happened?

What the gently caress was that?

That makes twice that the writers have specifically added a line to indicate anyone actually being able to do anything about Luke, and then just totally ignoring it. Maraiah spouted off a list of poison, drowning, acid, all this stuff but then they were like "no just make the show about a bulletproof dude have magic bullets that make it just a show about a dude who gets shot."

Their big climactic showdown happened off-loving-screen. I don't know how much money a 'showrunner' makes, but how is glaring red herring and continuity error detection not like, 90% of your job?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone remember ever seeing this? I just got a shot of it on Netflix as like a screensaver.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone remember ever seeing this? I just got a shot of it on Netflix as like a screensaver.

Yeah it pops up on Netflix as a screensaver for me all the time.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

moths posted:

Did the final shot in the series make any sense? I don't even know how that was supposed to have happened. Or if the name was supposed to mean something.

Check out the Emergency Awesome YouTube channel's analysis of it; it should answer most of your questions and give you some kind of closure. There might be GoT spoilers on the channel too, but you can try doing a YouTube search instead of going directly to the channel.

I'd post a link here, but it'd show the thumbnail for some users.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Just out of curiosity, question for comic book people, what would you title a Jessica & Matt show?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

God the Hand are such loving terrible villains. I pretty much only want to watch JJ, LC and Punisher now because their stories stand apart from the Hand trash.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Lycus posted:

Just out of curiosity, question for comic book people, what would you title a Jessica & Matt show?

Devil's Advocate

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Wamsutta posted:

God the Hand are such loving terrible villains. I pretty much only want to watch JJ, LC and Punisher now because their stories stand apart from the Hand trash.

With any luck the stupid hand are gone for good and they can move IF and DD into more entertaining territory. Iron Fist might actually turn out ok if his character isn't completely informed by a poo poo enemy and his sole purpose of beating them up which he sucks at.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lycus posted:

AKA Jessica Jones & Matt Murdock

Blind Drunk

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

Let's break it down. They're heroes, but they also work day jobs. Freelance day jobs. They don't get a steady paycheck, they're hired by people. And getting Hired often leads them to situations where they have to do Hero stuff

So I'd call it The New Warriors

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Bendis Buddies

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Lycus posted:

haven't read these comics but if it isn't an alcoholism joke it isn't trying hard enough

Don't Turn on the Light
Too Loud
BARF! (Nightcrawler crossover)
Private Whiskeydick
Etc.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Legally Blind.

Law and Shmorder.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Punch Drunk

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Bust Rodd posted:

Punch Drunk
Way better than mine.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Habibi posted:

Finally finished this last night, and it kinda sucked. There were enjoyable parts - Matt, Matt v Danny, Jessica Jones, some of Luke - but on the whole it felt like a CW level production. The Hand was, and I can't understate this, terrible. Just terrible. All of them. Their motivations made no sense. Their operations made no sense. Their idiotic bickering made no sense. Alexandra was a non entity. I don't even know why they gave her lines. loving Bakuto is an original Hand leader? Are you joking my rear end? Watching these numbnuts bumblefucking around leaves me wondering how the organization managed to survive as long as it did. The supporting cast put in probably the weakest performance of these shows to date. As someone already said, Claire seems extraneous. Karen is boring af. Danny's girlfriend is just kinda there and their dialog is almost as bad as his Kung Fu. I guess the fight at the end wasn't too bad. Pretty disappointing overall.

Just finished it as well - I forced myself to finish IF before watching it and agree completely. It was just nowhere near the level that DD/JJ were at and to a lesser degree in my opinion LC. It took all the lovely things from Iron Fist - which could have been so good, I mean how hard is a good king fu flick - and instead of diluting them by 4, magnified them. Really disappointed. Hopefully DD and JJ continue on as good as they were, but this was 8 mostly poo poo episodes of mediocre television.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Punch Drunk

I would forgive all to watch this though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lycus posted:

Don't Trust The B With The Blind Attorney

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wow I suddenly realize I would way rather have a Danny/Luke Show and a separate Jessica/Matt show than the Defenders

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
How does Elektra find Danny when they have him tied up? It's never explained and she kinda just shows up unless I missed something

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 25, 2017

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

They should absolutely do a Heroes for Hire show instead of a purestrain S2 for Iron Fist.

Danny sucks on his own and I can't think of a single loose thread from his S1 I'm clamoring to see. Relegating him to a co-star sounds wonderful.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

McSpanky posted:

this is the bing to the mcnugget bong

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xealot posted:

They should absolutely do a Heroes for Hire show instead of a purestrain S2 for Iron Fist.

Danny sucks on his own and I can't think of a single loose thread from his S1 I'm clamoring to see. Relegating him to a co-star sounds wonderful.

there's that one guy with the backstory with Danny we never saw from the magic city we never saw who convinced Meachum to want to kill Danny by suggesting that they do that the first time he met her.

Aren't you interested to see how that plays out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Actually now that Stick is dead and all of the Chaste is dead and the Hand is dead, do we really need a S2 of Iron Fist? Can't we just bring him back for Defenders 2 and pretend that he has been integrating back into society as Danny Rand for the past couple years? He can be the Tony Stark of the team, bankrolling their activities while struggling with the fact that he can no longer summon his chi for [reasons].