Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lurdiak posted:

I want to rip out Tinsley's spine.

What spine?

Edit: gently caress, new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

the_steve posted:

What spine?

Edit: gently caress, new page

That dog looks too fat and mangy.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Apparently the term for this stuff is "aggressively no-platformed."

Universities do not invite people who do not already have established platforms to speak. The invitation is symbolic. That speech being drowned out by other speech is also symbolic.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Maybe tax people who make tons of money doing very little? Obama is just being a good capitalist, I thought that was a good thing?

Also, Tinsley, the Finnish have found the best solution: stop using "he" and just use "she" (or vice versa) for all humans.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

BonHair posted:

Maybe tax people who make tons of money doing very little? Obama is just being a good capitalist, I thought that was a good thing?

Also, Tinsley, the Finnish have found the best solution: stop using "he" and just use "she" (or vice versa) for all humans.

Problem there being that the Finnish will gleefully use "it" for everything even if the prescriptivists at Kotimaisten Kielten Keskus say it is forbidden.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
[quote="Apple Pie Hubbub" post="471842592"]

gently caress this. Shakespeare used "they" as a gender neutral pronoun. The only people who correct this are first year college students, people that want to sound smart but never actually read, and drunk ducks.

E: way beaten, but so be it

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 29, 2017

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's always interesting seeing into Tinsley's personal life through what he chooses to complain about, Kelly-style.
Earlier, his comics on "why do people get so upset about racist/sexist remarks", in the wake of no doubt making some.
Now, trying to defend his language makes me think he called some transgendered person "it" and caught hell for it.

Pakled posted:

what, other than hatred, is stopping you from just calling people what they want to be called?
This is always what gets me. If a friend of mine asked me to call them just about anything from then on, I probably would, and move on. It's not a big deal, it doesn't inconvenience me, and if they want to ask in sincerity, it probably matters to them. The courtesy doesn't cost me.

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan
The other day I was doodling over some inventory papers at work, and to my horror discovered only half way through that I am in fact doodling potential political cartoons. I stopped in disgust, but still decided to draw one out today since I have a day off due to medical stuff, and I am a bored, broken man.

I wanted to colour it but I felt gross just making it so I gave up. I hate drawing.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZzCXyp3SYM

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Starving Wolf posted:

The other day I was doodling over some inventory papers at work, and to my horror discovered only half way through that I am in fact doodling potential political cartoons.

Alternate title: This is what man made climate change looks like!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

JRRose is precious and I want to protect him

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Starving Wolf posted:

The other day I was doodling over some inventory papers at work, and to my horror discovered only half way through that I am in fact doodling potential political cartoons. I stopped in disgust, but still decided to draw one out today since I have a day off due to medical stuff, and I am a bored, broken man.

I wanted to colour it but I felt gross just making it so I gave up. I hate drawing.

You sound like you're well suited to a career in polititoons.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Asterix didn't age well. :(

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cat Mattress posted:

Asterix didn't age well. :(

last i heard he became buddies with assange

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010
Not the most original but I like the art

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dees is such a weatherwane, is he bipolar or how does he explain his constantly changing takes on Trump? He seems to go with no effort from "Trump is our only hope"

to "Trump is a zionist"

to "Trump is a reptile"

back to "Trump will defeat our enemies" (also highly unusual military worship from DDees)

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
It's almost like Dees is a paranoid schizophrenic without an internally consistent and persistent world view.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

tyblazitar posted:

It's almost like Dees is a paranoid schizophrenic without an internally consistent and persistent world view.

...nah, we just gotta look deeper.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the London garden bridge – Sadiq Khan has pulled the plug on the controversial plan for a garden bridge across the Thames"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Monet.

The i paper:

Ukip to campaign to ban burqa and sharia courts, says Paul Nuttall

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The only possible interpretation here is "Labour is going to win"

Oh wait it's the Telegraph.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anyone got a compilation of Gorrel's greatest hits?

(AKA all the blank cartoons he's submitted over the years, in case that was unclear)

Also, some of his old art, for the inevitable "used to be good, poo poo now" comparison.

Also also - am I just imagining things, or did he once re-used a blank "cartoon" with a "vacation repeat" note? Seems good to be true, but I want to believe.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

tyblazitar posted:

well, he is consistently antisemitic

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Xander77 posted:

Anyone got a compilation of Gorrel's greatest hits?

(AKA all the blank cartoons he's submitted over the years, in case that was unclear)

Also, some of his old art, for the inevitable "used to be good, poo poo now" comparison.

Also also - am I just imagining things, or did he once re-used a blank "cartoon" with a "vacation repeat" note? Seems good to be true, but I want to believe.

Here's what I found on Google and in the Gay Abortions threads prior to the "lifetime achievement in laziness" ban on Gorrell cartoons.

(2012)
(2013)
(2014)
(2014)
(bonus 2014)
(2015)
(2015)

If he did run one a second time, odds are good it would have been the "Foreign Policy Triumphs of the Obama Administration" one.

And finally, this Gorrell may not be blank, but you should see it anyway

e: another, (2013)

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 29, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Before the 12th century, "she" wasn't a word and women had to use "heo," a generic plural pronoun that could be used by men as well. Ye Fowl Herald probably got his feathers in a ruffle over that one. Broads, amiright.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nenonen posted:

to "Trump is a reptile"

Missed it the first time this was posted because I was too flabbergasted by Dees turning on Trump, but snake Kushner looks chill as hell

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Somfin posted:

Jeremy breaks up with Sara again
Jon Arbuckle's going back to the farm
Trans people are things, not humans!
Kid from family circus is cute
Marmaduke is too large
Hagar just finished raiding a town

This is the second time I've seen someone list what the comics pretty much always are with "<politoon> is bigoted" in the middle; is it a joke from something in particular, or just a running joke the thread started?

Also Tinsley can go to hell.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

This is the second time I've seen someone list what the comics pretty much always are with "<politoon> is bigoted" in the middle; is it a joke from something in particular, or just a running joke the thread started?

It's to highlight the fact that Tinsley's disgusting views are placed together with the inoffensive comic strips for children in newspapers.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Roland Jones posted:

It's because Mallard runs on the comics page in most papers that carry it. So in the middle of your generally inoffensive jokes and plodding soap opera strips, there's a big steaming turd of bigoted opinion.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
No, I get the joke, I was just wondering if it was started here or elsewhere. It seemed like it could be a joke/reference from some outside source or a running gag the thread started, so I wanted to ask, and, if it was the former, get a link to the original.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

You sure have owned those students, dude with 'assaulted his wife' on his wiki page.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

tyblazitar posted:

It's to highlight the fact that Tinsley's disgusting views are placed together with the inoffensive comic strips for children in newspapers.

I will never understand why it's so important to keep the newspaper strips "inoffensive":

Translation:
International women's day? Why isn't there an international men's day?

You're right! Why am I holding this stupid sign? Let's make a day for the world's men instead!
But why stop there? Lets's make hospital for the healthy, soup kitchen for the filled and shelters for the millionaires!
Here take my clothes! It looks like you're not freezing!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

D.N. Nation posted:

Before the 12th century, "she" wasn't a word and women had to use "heo," a generic plural pronoun that could be used by men as well. Ye Fowl Herald probably got his feathers in a ruffle over that one. Broads, amiright.

Gender neutral pronouns does exists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hen_(pronoun)
Although I've heard that it has caused some confusion with people who's primary language is english (I've heard about a group of foreign exchange students who, when they heard about it, though that Scandinavia had kindergartens and schools for chickens).

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Starshark posted:

You sure have owned those students, dude with 'assaulted his wife' on his wiki page.
Lester just follows the classic advice to write what he knows. In this case, a woman being beaten.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

gettin' some Umberto Eco rhetorical shifting whiplash here

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

e: another, (2013)

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

TVs Ian posted:

It's because Mallard runs on the comics page in most papers that carry it. So in the middle of your generally inoffensive jokes and plodding soap opera strips, there's a big steaming turd of bigoted opinion.

Does anyone have a picture of a comics page with Mallard Fillmore next to Marmaduke or Blondie or similarly innocuous strips?

The Los Angeles Times stopped carrying Mallard years ago, but back then it was grouped with several other political cartoons (Doonesbury, The Boondocks, Prickly City, Candorville, La Cucaracha) and didn't seem out of place.

I've heard of other papers putting Mallard on an opinion page separate from the main comics.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Alhazred posted:

I will never understand why it's so important to keep the newspaper strips "inoffensive":

Translation:
International women's day? Why isn't there an international men's day?

You're right! Why am I holding this stupid sign? Let's make a day for the world's men instead!
But why stop there? Lets's make hospital for the healthy, soup kitchen for the filled and shelters for the millionaires!
Here take my clothes! It looks like you're not freezing!

International Men's Day is November 19 for the curious. For those keeping score, the people complaining about it aren't curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

xthetenth posted:

International Men's Day is November 19 for the curious. For those keeping score, the people complaining about it aren't curious.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=international%20mens%20day

Pictured: "International Men's Day" being about 25x more popular as a search term on International Women's Day than on International Men's Day.

• Locked thread