Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Just make loot tables fully random with no weighting. Activate total chaos mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Cheating doesn't really seem that common at all..

I'm pretty sure everybody who ever kills me is cheating.

Tbh though It's not common as far as I can tell. Out of ~1100 matches I have had about 3-5 times where me and my squad have been killed by people who are DEFINITELY cheating - people instantly headshotting me and my team when it's not believable it's just luck. That said though, would you know about some of the cheats people would use? If they're wallhacking they know where you (and everybody) is which gives them an advantage but I think not so much that you'd know, it's much easier to put that down to "well, they must have been lucky to get the drop on me".

Anyway, generally it doesn't feel like you're being cheated so it's fine.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

PEW PEW: Now in glorious 10 FPS!

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just found out you can put a suppressor on the revolver. Made my day! Still lost.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Bought 5 gamescom crates. Got the women's tuxedo crate and the black skirt. Curse this lock out period before being able to sell poo poo!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The key to midgame not being boring is getting a vehicle early on and using it to pick fights

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Digital Jesus posted:

Bought 5 gamescom crates. Got the women's tuxedo crate and the black skirt. Curse this lock out period before being able to sell poo poo!

Additionally I made the mistake of recently changing my password and disabling SteamGuard, so I have like a 15 day cooldown...

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Digital Jesus posted:

Plenty of time to make a decision on it. I sold that stupid skirt for $120, no regrets

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Shima Honnou posted:

Some people call the game that for some reason instead of by it's god-given pronunciation of pub-guh.

Pub-guh? Like a soft g? That sounds awful and you should feel bad.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Confer posted:

Pub-guh? Like a soft g? That sounds awful and you should feel bad.

Go back to school

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

VulgarandStupid posted:

This grandpa has a .68 KDR, if you're worse than him, what's your excuse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai5etEvRPy8

lmao @ 8:01

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Zigmidge posted:

Go back to school

I can't, it costs too much :(

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPPHvcvkZrk

YouTube really delivers with that automatic thumbnail that it gave my video.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Digital Jesus posted:

I broke down and installed the app on my phone. Initial 7 day waiting period but insta-sales now!

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

ChesterJT posted:

I broke down and installed the app on my phone. Initial 7 day waiting period but insta-sales now!

Can you elaborate a little more on this?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
If you install steam guard on your phone and link it to your steam account you can sell stuff sooner.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Sokani posted:

If you install steam guard on your phone and link it to your steam account you can sell stuff sooner.

I did that and new stuff is still locked out for a week. I even verified selling stuff using the app, but it's on hold.

The stuff I just got doesn't even appear to be visible in Steam at the moment.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Hamelekim posted:

I did that and new stuff is still locked out for a week. I even verified selling stuff using the app, but it's on hold.

The stuff I just got doesn't even appear to be visible in Steam at the moment.

One week hold on newly opened items, won't appear in your inventory if you're in the sell area of the market. One week to verify your steamguard suckaaaa. No quick money for you!

I just went through the two week holdout, I feel you

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Just went through the 2 week delay as well and crates went from like $3.50 to $1.50. Feels bad man.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Sokani posted:

Ah, so this explains how people were selling the new items so quickly.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I really want to watch a short documentary on people hustling steam items because I know there are people out there trying to do it, and some may even be succeeding

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
At this point you'd be better off holding onto your stuff until after the crates rotate and the cheaper sellers get bought out.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I really want to watch a short documentary on people hustling steam items because I know there are people out there trying to do it, and some may even be succeeding

There's a goon who played the market well enough for a few years to need to pay taxes on his Steam earnings. He's posted about it before but it might be in archives now.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

I did this for about 4 months. Not worth the return and effort. Yeah I made about $30 from CSGO skins but you are constantly watching the market and listing item and removing them placing order on items at super low prices hoping someone fat fingers pricing it was dumb in retrospect. Also the cut that steam takes out makes it hard to do larger $$ items and get a return so I was usually doing .15 - $2 skins.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

sterster posted:

Also the cut that steam takes out makes it hard to do larger $$ items and get a return so I was usually doing .15 - $2 skins.

drat flipping things in that price range sounds like it would suck.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

sterster posted:

I did this for about 4 months. Not worth the return and effort. Yeah I made about $30 from CSGO skins but you are constantly watching the market and listing item and removing them placing order on items at super low prices hoping someone fat fingers pricing it was dumb in retrospect. Also the cut that steam takes out makes it hard to do larger $$ items and get a return so I was usually doing .15 - $2 skins.

All the big trading companies have programs that automatically trade, so why not an application that automatically trades stream items? I'm sure it's doable with some effort.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

One week hold on newly opened items, won't appear in your inventory if you're in the sell area of the market. One week to verify your steamguard suckaaaa. No quick money for you!

I just went through the two week holdout, I feel you

I didn't know if you sold items from crates you still have to wait a week. I've just been selling the crates which I can sell immediately. Usually by the time I hit the button on the phone app and refresh the steam page it's sold and I've got the cash.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
God it is loving aggravating searching four houses and finding only a pistol while eveyrone else has SMGs and ARs. They need to fix this poo poo.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

B-Mac posted:

God it is loving aggravating searching four houses and finding only a pistol while eveyrone else has SMGs and ARs. They need to fix this poo poo.
agreed. they should make it so you spawn with the assault rifle + attachments of your choice. while they're at it, they should also decrease the map size to allow for more intense combat. from there, all they need to do is add killstreaks and the game would be perfect

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Can you ditch your parachute on the plane/while falling? I haven't had the guts to try.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

B-Mac posted:

Nothing needs to be fixed dude, that's RNG for you.

How is this so hard for people to understand?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

B-Mac posted:

Well, you have a few options: drop at better locations than spots with 4 or less houses, get better at guns you aren't comfortable with, play a different game

odiv posted:

Can you ditch your parachute on the plane/while falling? I haven't had the guts to try.

Nope unfortunately because I want to die right next to someone hitting the ground screaming the whole way down. What kind of monster makes the giant diving board of rocks into crater but doesn't let you drive off it?!

I still jumped and screamed and landed next to someone when my team had already wiped but it just didn't have the splash and height I was looking for you know?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrNutt posted:

How is this so hard for people to understand?

Not that I have any issues with this game but RNG can be implemented in pretty bad ways.

Even "good" RNGs like the Mersenne Twister can gently caress up if you do something stupid with them, and poor RNG implementation occurs more often in games than you'd think.

Edit: To iterate, every RNG algorithm I know with the sole exception of PCG can produce undesirable patterns that can be easily detected by players, who will shrug it off because over a long period of time and multiple matches they'll end up statistically correct. And I exclude PCG only because I don't know any patterns yet, but it's possible they exist. At least in PCG you can directly control things like making it impossible for 100 zeros in a row to happen.

If the devs are not intimately familiar with the RNG algorithm they're using there are dozens of ways to end up with aberrant results from good-looking inconspicuous code.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 20, 2017

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

I still jumped and screamed and landed next to someone when my team had already wiped but it just didn't have the splash and height I was looking for you know?

I feel you. I want to have a big explosion of body parts as well as a huge sound effect to go with it. If you're going to go big you might as well go all the way.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010
I don't really have a problem with the loot RNG in this game. Sometimes you are outgunned, but that's part of the fun in this game. Otherwise why bother having a variety of weapons or looting in the first place!?

Just look! https://clips.twitch.tv/PowerfulHandsomeHornetSuperVinlin?tt_medium=clips_api&tt_content=url

It's fun to outshoot people with bigger guns!

The only real change in regards to loot I care about is making loot load faster like they did with cars. Since I only drop hot zones, it's kind of annoying that you are just randomly dropping in that place and won't know if you find a gun or not. E.g. If loot loaded faster, you could adjust your landing towards it to make it more skill based.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

B-Mac posted:

WHA WHA I WANT MY STUFF NOW WHA

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

B-Mac posted:

you should kill the guys with the smgs or ars , so you can take them.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I used some of my Steambucks to buy two keys for the Gamescon crates. The money was deducted from my Steam wallet, and I have the receipt in my inbox, but the game shows no keys when I go to open the crates. Am I looking in the wrong spot, or...?

EDIT: Contacted community support. We'll see...

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 20, 2017

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
The games functions with the current RNG, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved. There are definitely clustering issues that go beyond confirmation bias. Jump at the mylta power substation or any other easy to loot landmark every time and you'll see the weird clustering patterns. I'm not sure how to fix the issue without reducing spawn locations. PUBG clearly wants scars and kars to be more rare, so you end up m16a4s, akms, and sometimes the sks in high densities. It might be the actual rate of opportunity that pubg wants when you are acquiring weapons, but it doesn't look or feel good to players that are searching for their favorite weapon and find same gun over and over in a relatively small area.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I played a single 3pp round on the asian server and got 9 kills/11th place, it felt like playing in looney toons land where everyone was shooting silhouettes around me. Does it have a separate MMR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I actually had an insane RNG game earlier today. I dropped on south east Polyana and after looting the library had only a shotgun and uzi. I get the drop on a guy leaving the prison and... he only had a shotgun and an uzi. I'm finding everything else in plenty. Level 3 vest & helmet, 5 first aid kits, 4 energy drinks, 3 painkillers, level 2 bookbag, all sorts of attachments including an 8x scope. I jump in a car and drive down the the power plant- I loot the entire green building and it's- you guessed it. Shotguns & uzis. I'm at the point now that I can't fit any more stims into my bookbag. I get the drop on someone also coming to loot and he had.... a shotgun and an uzi. I drive over to the north side of the eastern bridge and loot some of the buildings there. Shotguns and uzis. I drive over to the farm and find more shotguns and uzis. At this point the we're in the final circles and there's only fifteen people left. I manage to ambush someone coming into my building who by some miracle actually had an SKS. I then get killed a minute later running for the circle- ambushed by a guy with an UMP.

It was ridiculous but that's RNG for you. It's not that absurd when you consider that I've got ~100 hours in this game and this is the only time it's happened.

• Locked thread