Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I dunno if anyone else is on the Nowhere Stars patreon but that is some rad loving art Anemone's posted. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I dunno if anyone else is on the Nowhere Stars patreon but that is some rad loving art Anemone's posted. :stare:

It's on RR too. It's going to be the cover for vol 1.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Alright, fine. I'll check out Nowhere Stars.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

awesmoe posted:

(SupSup 79) the ones who jump to lethal force at the slightest hint of adversity or stress. and lexi.

e: I dont really understand the kon situation tho - I wonder why his result wasnt 'come back with some levels and a way to use this skill in hero work'. From what we've seen of heroes in the wild they basically do combat, and he would be useless there unless his skill gives him a swerve. Like I can see how it COULD be cool in the future, but to me that doesn't seem to match the entrance criteria they seem to be testing for.

There's a clear bias on both a personal and systemic level towards S-ranks and away from "low" ranks like Bs, Cs, Ds, & Fs. You know, more than half the "super" population. Only "crappy" Bs need to have a skill plan. Everyone else gets evaluated on entirely different metrics. Or accepted speculatively in the case of U class uniques and people like Kon with unique combinations that don't get categorized as a U class for some weird reason.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 24, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

cyrn posted:

Now that we see the exact mechanics of an evil skill, I wonder if Tawna gets XP for fate manipulation kills and she was using Brin to target Hogg.

Bog Standard: I suspect the twist will be that being this much of a cruel bitch was the only path she divined to massage the events into everyone surviving.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

LLSix posted:

There's a clear bias on both a personal and systemic level towards S-ranks and away from "low" ranks like Bs, Cs, Ds, & Fs. You know, more than half the "super" population. Only "crappy" Bs need to have a skill plan. Everyone else gets evaluated on entirely different metrics. Or accepted speculatively in the case of U class uniques and people like Kon with unique combinations that don't get categorized as a U class for some weird reason.

I think (SupSup 79) you might be misinterpreting what's going on. No one's said anything about a skill plan being required, if anything one of the benefits of the hero school is they can give advice on skills to take because they have a lot of experience with what skills are good for being a hero (and possibly that won't get you constantly summoned). It's just a problem for Alden since the school doesn't have any experience with rabbit skills.

And it's a big problem as far as they know. Remember, what Mother did with adding levels directly to his existing skill isn't normally an option. You level up, and you get offered a choice of new spell impressions, skills, or foundation points. So as far as the school knows in a few months Alden's going to level and probably need to know if "Let me make you toast" or whatever has combat applications, there's no option for him to just max his preservation skill and then look for more options later.

It's not really an issue for Kon because we've already been told that adjusters tend to get "steered" into narrow focuses by the system and thus probably don't need a lot of advice on skills and spell impressions when it comes to their focus, and for general stuff they can give him the advice that works for other adjusters. They are still taking a bit of a gamble on him because they don't know how his focus will develop, and in that I think you probably are correct that if he were B rank they wouldn't have thought the gamble was worthwhile.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 24, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bremen posted:

I think (SupSup 79) you might be misinterpreting what's going on. No one's said anything about a skill plan being required, if anything one of the benefits of the hero school is they can give advice on skills to take because they have a lot of experience with what skills are good for being a hero (and possibly that won't get you constantly summoned). It's just a problem for Alden since the school doesn't have any experience with rabbit skills.

And it's a big problem as far as they know. Remember, what Mother did with adding levels directly to his existing skill isn't normally an option. You level up, and you get offered a choice of new spell impressions, skills, or foundation points. So as far as the school knows in a few months Alden's going to level and probably need to know if "Let me make you toast" or whatever has combat applications, there's no option for him to just max his preservation skill and then look for more options later.

It's not really an issue for Kon because we've already been told that adjusters tend to get "steered" into narrow focuses by the system and thus probably don't need a lot of advice on skills and spell impressions when it comes to their focus, and for general stuff they can give him the advice that works for other adjusters. They are still taking a bit of a gamble on him because they don't know how his focus will develop, and in that I think you probably are correct that if he were B rank they wouldn't have thought the gamble was worthwhile.

SupSup 79

Adjusters also tend to be spell impression heavy rather than skill heavy like Rabbits. This means that even if Kon's skill is kind of weird, he's still probably got a big list of useful Adjuster spells that he can grab to build out his repertoire with.

As far as they know Alden's got 2-3 years of leveling left for LMTYL at his previous pace before he caps out somewhere between 4 to 10. And there are no other known hero-applicable Rabbit skills out there.

I'm not sure how Alden's leveling is going to go. Will his fake profile jump up a few levels every year so he doesn't get kicked out of school? Will he need to affix to have it rise? If he affixes again there's probably a better than even chance of him going from B to A and does that get represented on his fake profile? If so, jumping up a rank is 100% going to get him out of "intensity 4"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 79

Adjusters also tend to be spell impression heavy rather than skill heavy like Rabbits. This means that even if Kon's skill is kind of weird, he's still probably got a big list of useful Adjuster spells that he can grab to build out his repertoire with.

As far as they know Alden's got 2-3 years of leveling left for LMTYL at his previous pace before he caps out somewhere between 4 to 10. And there are no other known hero-applicable Rabbit skills out there.

I'm not sure how Alden's leveling is going to go. Will his fake profile jump up a few levels every year so he doesn't get kicked out of school? Will he need to affix to have it rise? If he affixes again there's probably a better than even chance of him going from B to A and does that get represented on his fake profile? If so, jumping up a rank is 100% going to get him out of "intensity 4"

I don't personally think that his fake profile will survive multiple years. It only currently works because all of Alden's abilities can reasonably be presented as other, more "realistic" abilities. It's the reason Alden took the enchantment bearing ability instead of the spell one - the latter would instantly be noticeable as profoundly strange. My guess is that he'll have to stop hiding a lot of stuff after either his next affixation or the one after that (as you mention, one of those is likely to involve an increase in Rank)

LLSix posted:

I feel like you're misinterpreting Ranks as being some sort of social construct that doesn't actually matter, when that is not the case. They unfortunately do matter a lot. It seems like authority generally grows in a proportional way, with higher levels involving more additional authority per level. So the amount of authority you start with (which is what "Rank" is) is very important, because your future growth will be proportional to that. It's like if you took a starting value and added 10% of that value every year; your starting value dictates future growth. Alden offsets this with the benefits of having an authority sense + infrequent affixations.

And also what Bremen said; the reason they mention the Skill plan is that there's no conceivable way for a B-Rank Rabbit to develop as a hero. Both the Class and Rank are relevant. Even if you ignore Skills/spells, higher Rank means more foundation points, which = a much stronger and more resilient body (which is kind of important if you're doing a job that involves fighting other superhumans, plus just needing to deal with regular human weapons). The only reason that's not true with Alden is that he has a completely unprecedented type of Skill and will experience future growth in power/"levels" that is also unprecedented due to his authority sense. But this is information other human Avowed don't have access to.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Bremen posted:

I think (SupSup 79) you might be misinterpreting what's going on. The person I was responding to was specifically asking why Kon wasn't required to come back with a way to use his skill for hero work; like Alden was told to. Ironically, Alden actually demonstrated how his skill could be used for hero work; but Kon didn't.

Several times Alden has been told a skill plan should be required for him to be admitted. It's not even subtext. It's just text.

Klein in chapter 78: "If you can’t put together a list of known Rabbit skills and spells that will see you performing as well as other currently active B-rank heroes who are in their thirties and forties, then you should find another job.”

Klein in chapter 77: "If he, [Alden], didn’t have that decoration beside his name, none of the rest of it would be enough. We’d tell him to level on his own for the next two or three years, give us proof of concept, miraculously find more useful skills in the home decorating class, and then come show us we were wrong at the uni tryouts.”

This next one requires a bit of interpretation, but in light of the later chapters I think it is reasonable to infer from it that most B-ranks who are accepted do come in with a significant skill plan. Although probably not one that will take them into their "forties." Students are 15 or 16, asking for a plan that takes them 20+ years, more than double their age, is just ridiculous. Alden, correctly, interpreted Klein's ask for that as "you suck, go away."
Dave in chapter 69.1: "If you actually get into the school you’ll see that the few B’s there are usually the sort who are so perfectly specced for some kind of superhero work that it’s hard to deny their presence. ... I started building Processing in the specific way I needed right away. Recon. My brain is basically designed to look at a cityscape, flash memorize it, and spot problem areas. I was able to walk into my interviews and explain to the doubters exactly what I would be doing as a member of a hero team and why it would work."

There's a reason I've been calling Klein a bigot since he was introduced. His ask for Alden is completely unreasonable even by the already unreasonable standards for Bs. In addition, he had an opportunity to find out if Alden deserved to be there: the interview. It was his job to ask questions and find out if Alden deserved to be there. And he couldn't be bothered to more than half-rear end it; even though the few questions he did ask, he was pleasantly surprised by the answers Alden gave. This isn't "strict but fair" behavior. It is "complete dick who made up his mind before ever meeting the interviewee" behavior.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like you're misinterpreting Ranks as being some sort of social construct that doesn't actually matter, when that is not the case. They unfortunately do matter a lot. It seems like authority generally grows in a proportional way, with higher levels involving more additional authority per level. So the amount of authority you start with (which is what "Rank" is) is very important, because your future growth will be proportional to that. It's like if you took a starting value and added 10% of that value every year; your starting value dictates future growth. Alden offsets this with the benefits of having an authority sense + infrequent affixations.

I've already explained why I think your other objections are wrong. I'm not going to do it again, nobody wants to read the same discussion over and over again. It's clear we're not going to agree.

I want to respond to this bit though. You are correct that I view Rank as a primarily social construct. They don't understand rank well enough for it be anything but a social construct, and they know they don't understand it well. It's an externally supplied social construct, so we should be somewhat forgiving of the mistakes it causes the characters to make (I'm much angrier at Klein's bias against rabbits than his bias against Bs), but it is a wholly artificial construct. We've been told over and over again that rank and level are just stand ins for what actually matters; and that's authority. People who work hard and frequently exercise their skills/spells/talents have their authority grow faster than those who don't. Some of them can get their authority to grow quickly enough for Earth's system to raise their rank. So your current rank isn't permanent. What matters is if you can do the job and work hard to improve. Which in this case is fighting; which is an activity with a ridiculous amount of variance in it. To the point that multiple superpowers have been utterly humiliated when attacking "3rd world countries" in our own history. I say this to gesture broadly at how difficult it is to make any accurate predications about being able to win fights generally.

I acknowledge that rank represents, to some extent, both a person's current overall "power" and their future growth potential. But there's a great deal of variance within ranks. It also greatly matters how you distribute your affixation "points", something Earth already knows. Earth also already knows its possible to raise your rank. So in the context of selecting students for a high school with 8+ years of education ahead of them; rank should be just one of many factors, not the dominant one. It's very difficult to make any sort of accurate predication about how even normal Earth teenagers will grow and develop based on their... high school entrance exams. How much more difficult must it be to make accurate predications about their development while using an alien and deliberately obfuscated super power granting system? It'd be like picking students for a high school soccer team primarily based on their genetic markers and not how well they play or how much time they spend training or what their personalities are like. Yes, there's some information there, but we certainly can't interpret it well enough for it to be a reliable or even useful predictor.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 24, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

LLSix posted:

I think (SupSup 79) you might be misinterpreting what's going on. The person I was responding to was specifically asking why Kon wasn't required to come back with a way to use his skill for hero work; like Alden was told to. Ironically, Alden actually demonstrated how his skill could be used for hero work; but Kon didn't.

Several times Alden has been told a skill plan should be required for him to be admitted. It's not even subtext. It's just text.

Klein in chapter 78: "If you can’t put together a list of known Rabbit skills and spells that will see you performing as well as other currently active B-rank heroes who are in their thirties and forties, then you should find another job.”

Klein in chapter 77: "If he, [Alden], didn’t have that decoration beside his name, none of the rest of it would be enough. We’d tell him to level on his own for the next two or three years, give us proof of concept, miraculously find more useful skills in the home decorating class, and then come show us we were wrong at the uni tryouts.”

This next one requires a bit of interpretation, but in light of the later chapters I think it is reasonable to infer from it that most B-ranks who are accepted do come in with a significant skill plan. Although probably not one that will take them into their "forties." Students are 15 or 16, asking for a plan that takes them 20+ years, more than double their age, is just ridiculous. Alden, correctly, interpreted Klein's ask for that as "you suck, go away."
Dave in chapter 69.1: "If you actually get into the school you’ll see that the few B’s there are usually the sort who are so perfectly specced for some kind of superhero work that it’s hard to deny their presence. ... I started building Processing in the specific way I needed right away. Recon. My brain is basically designed to look at a cityscape, flash memorize it, and spot problem areas. I was able to walk into my interviews and explain to the doubters exactly what I would be doing as a member of a hero team and why it would work."

There's a reason I've been calling Klein a bigot since he was introduced. His ask for Alden is completely unreasonable even by the already unreasonable standards for Bs. In addition, he had an opportunity to find out if Alden deserved to be there: the interview. It was his job to ask questions and find out if Alden deserved to be there. And he couldn't be bothered to do it; even though the few questions he did ask, he was pleasantly surprised by the answers Alden gave. This isn't "strict but fair" behavior. It is "complete dick who made up his mind before ever meeting the interviewee" behavior.

Yeah, but (SupSup 79) no one's saying he needs a skill plan because he's a B rank, they're saying he needs a skill plan because he's a rabbit and they have no idea what rabbit skills to recommend. If he were a B rank, say, brute, then they could say "this skill that makes your skin tougher has worked excellently for heroes in the past, so we recommend you take it at your next level" or whatever. But while Torsten acknowledges that there might be useful skills, say a rabbit skill that helps you carry hot plates around might make you fireproof or whatever, they don't know that because they've never helped a rabbit become a hero - but a school that did have rabbits might know just from rabbits that picked it because they actually wanted to carry hot plates.

The quote you have about B ranks needing optimized builds is because their power level is much lower and they need to optimize to catch up, not about the school requiring them to come up with their own plans.

This isn't an issue for Kon, which was the question you were replying to, because he isn't a rabbit.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 24, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Bremen posted:

Yeah, but (SupSup 79) no one's saying he needs a skill plan because he's a B rank, they're saying he needs a skill plan because he's a rabbit and they have no idea what rabbit skills to recommend. If he were a B rank, say, brute, then they could say "this skill that makes your skin tougher has worked excellently for heroes in the past, so we recommend you take it at your next level" or whatever. But while Torsten acknowledges that, say, a rabbit skill that helps you carry hot plates around might make you fireproof, they don't know that because they've never helped a rabbit become a hero - but a school that did have rabbits might know just from rabbits that picked it because they actually wanted to carry hot plates.

The quote you have about B ranks needing optimized builds is because their power level is much lower and they need to optimize to catch up, not about the school requiring them to come up with their own plans.

This isn't an issue for Kon, which was the question you were replying to, because he isn't a rabbit.

Yeah, but (SupSup 79) Kon has both a unique skill and a unique spell. Adjusters, famously, have all their future skill and spell options influenced by their initial selection. The school has no reason to expect any of Kon's options will have ever been offered to anyone before. Or at least, no reason to expect that Kon will be offered the "usual" sort of Adjuster options has been provided in story. His situation seems completely analogous to me. Both have taken skills nobody else has ever used for hero work before.

Then there's also the issue of U class uniques that the school also accepts. They, definitionally, have a bunch of unique, never-before-seen options. It's not like Alden's situation is unique (as far as the school knows). They should have lots of experience of helping odd-balls. Instructor Plim loves working with them. Klein's attitude is notably different.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

LLSix posted:

I've already explained why I think your other objections are wrong. I'm not going to do it again, nobody wants to read the same discussion over and over again. It's clear we're not going to agree.

I want to respond to this bit though. You are correct that I view Rank as a primarily social construct. They don't understand rank well enough for it be anything but a social construct, and they know they don't understand it well. It's an externally supplied social construct, so we should be somewhat forgiving of the mistakes it causes the characters to make (I'm much angrier at Klein's bias against rabbits than his bias against Bs), but it is a wholly artificial construct. We've been told over and over again that rank and level are just stand ins for what actually matters; and that's authority. People who work hard and frequently exercise their skills/spells/talents have their authority grow faster than those who don't. Some of them can get their authority to grow quickly enough for Earth's system to raise their rank. So your current rank isn't permanent. What matters is if you can do the job and work hard to improve. Which in this case is fighting; which is an activity with a ridiculous amount of variance in it. To the point that multiple superpowers have been utterly humiliated when attacking "3rd world countries" in our own history. I say this to gesture broadly at how difficult it is to make any accurate predications about being able to win fights generally.

I acknowledge that rank represents, to some extent, both a person's current overall "power" and their future growth potential. But there's a great deal of variance within ranks. It also greatly matters how you distribute your affixation "points", something Earth already knows. Earth also already knows its possible to raise your rank. So in the context of selecting students for a high school with 8+ years of education ahead of them; rank should be just one of many factors, not the dominant one. It's very difficult to make any sort of accurate predication about how even normal Earth teenagers will grow and develop based on their... high school entrance exams. How much more difficult must it be to make accurate predications about their development while using an alien and deliberately obfuscated super power granting system? It'd be like picking students for a high school soccer team primarily based on their genetic markers and not how well they play or how much time they spend training or what they're personalities are like. Yes, there's some information there, but we certainly can't interpret it well enough for it to be a reliable or even useful predictor.

I mean, (SupSup 79)I think you probably have a point that their testing now is not a great indicator of long term potential. It's similar to my objection to Max's methods, because whether a 15 year old without much or any training can be tricked into a blow that would be lethal in real life is a very bad indicator of if they're fit to be a hero or not. I also think the instructors, probably even Torsten, would agree with you. That's why they don't purely accept people based on their potential at the testing, and do their best to look at other factors.

But they still have to make a decision, and they can't decide based on factors that don't show up in testing. If 500 people apply and they can only take 100, they have to reject 400. They probably realize that in some cases they'll be wrong, and a candidate they didn't take would have done better, but unless they can tell now that doesn't help them; they still have to choose. And, on average, the candidate with the higher power level is more likely to succeed at heroing, and that's a factor they can test for, so they make the choice that is more likely to be correct. They do make some accounting for that, otherwise they probably wouldn't accept B ranks at all - they rejected plenty of A ranks this chapter. So they are at some level going "this applicant is starting from way behind but might have the potential to catch up."

They do what they can, as well. From what we've heard the biggest factor in how fast an avowed advances is how much effort they spend training. I don't think it's coincidence that so many of the "tricks" the school uses are designed to weed out students without a lot of drive; the leaving the combat testing after the first fight, the "question" about injury realism, etc. A student that gets rejected can come back in two months and try again. Those are probably trying to determine exactly what you're talking about, as best they can.

And it's not like a refusal is the end. We were told that there are non-hero programs that focus on power development. They can say "come back and apply again at university" and honestly mean it, because failing to get into a hero program at the high school level isn't the end.

LLSix posted:

Yeah, but (SupSup 79) Kon has both a unique skill and a unique spell. Adjusters, famously, have all their future skill and spell options influenced by their initial selection. The school has no reason to expect any of Kon's options will have ever been offered to anyone before. Or at least, no reason to expect that Kon will be offered the "usual" sort of Adjuster options has been provided in story. His situation seems completely analogous to me. Both have taken skills nobody else has ever used for hero work before.

Then there's also the issue of U class uniques that the school also accepts. They, definitionally, have a bunch of unique, never-before-seen options. It's not like Alden's situation is unique (as far as the school knows). They should have lots of experience of helping odd-balls. Instructor Plim loves working with them. Klein's attitude is notably different.

More specifically we're told that adjusters' options for spell impressions narrow as they specialize. But the mere fact that they're narrowing means they don't need a lot of advice on what to take. And the school can still advise on things like skills and foundation points because they know what has worked for adjusters in the past.

We don't know much about U types but I agree they might be in a similar boat as Alden. I'd be curious to know if Torsten also has a similar opinion about them, though at least in the case of U types they probably can't get better advice somewhere else like Alden could (if it was like Torsten believes). Though with U types they at least don't have the worry about any other good choices being lost in a sea of ones intended for home decorating.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 24, 2023

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bremen posted:

We don't know much about U types but I agree they might be in a similar boat as Alden. I'd be curious to know if Torsten also has a similar opinion about them, though at least in the case of U types they probably can't get better advice somewhere else like Alden likely could. Though with U types they at least don't have the worry about the skill topping out and any other good choices being lost in a sea of ones intended for home decorating.

regarding U types I think that last point is precisely why they're not in the same boat as Alden

the classes are (apparently) deliberately designed for purpose and if a U has obvious hero-appropriate aspects it's likely got obvious supporting features and/or a skill list that has some overlap/analogues with other types from which inferences/a general plan of development can be drawn - there probably are plenty of U-types that would face similar issues with discrimination as Alden based on the tone/apparent purpose of their abilities, but most of them probably don't go for hero programs in the first place

even if the risk of busting is higher for U types there are also proven successes and the (apparently) more focused nature of those classes means you're not likely to do their development any harm even if it doesn't work out re: hero-work, that's not the case for someone who is (from their perspective) constantly working against type in a skill-based class whose skills are all seemingly inappropriate/useless/require lateral thinking that may or may not pay off (maybe that cleaning skill scales up into a disintegration beam but it probably actually caps out at 5 and does a nice job scrubbing dirt, and it'd be way too easy to end up wasting potential or having too big a gap in capabilities while also making you uncompetitive with other rabbits for domestic work)

ultimately they're running a highly competitive high school level program aimed at a practical course of pre-professional development, so even if you think the example of the Griveks points towards Rabbits having hero potential that's probably something best handled by a university research program rather than a bunch of guesswork that will likely leave the recipient worse off than before you began, especially when (absent a star/Alden's specific circumstances) there's no shortage of people with similar levels of power and motivation who they know how to help (or at least not harm)

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 24, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

SupSup 80

"Well, you could room with the guy with a magic pain-inflicting whip and anger management issues, or with Max."

"..."

"So... Lexi's pretty quiet when he's not screaming at people, right? Is he allergic to cats?"

Bremen fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 24, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Just here to say I appreciate the tagging a lot, and that Nowhere Stars cover is quite something.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/73095/rune-seeker-a-progression-fantasy-litrpg
Runeseeker, by the author of Mark of the Fool and a friend of his is pretty good so far, not that there's very much of it yet!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
re sup sup 80:
okay yeah the admission criteria is just bullshit so it does make sense kon got in.

to be fair, i understand the point the author is making. one of the themes of the story is how people with their individual values working together towards an ostensibly shared goal can produce perverse outcomes, and thats playing out pretty clearly. Its just irritating, as it's meant to be!

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 24, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
SS80: lmao at all the psychos (Lexi, Max) and idiots (Jeffy, Heelfeather) who got into this super elite hero program.

I liked the conversation with Maricel. She's a cool character and I hope she and Alden develop a good friendship.

The scene with people working out roommate stuff gave me some very anxious flashbacks to highschool and college.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Wittgen posted:

SS80: lmao at all the psychos (Lexi, Max) and idiots (Jeffy, Heelfeather) who got into this super elite hero program.

I liked the conversation with Maricel. She's a cool character and I hope she and Alden develop a good friendship.

The scene with people working out roommate stuff gave me some very anxious flashbacks to highschool and college.

In defense of (SupSup 80) the idiots, they're 15 and have within the last few months been given superpowers, had everything they knew about their lives upended, then abruptly yanked away from their support structures, and lastly put in charge of making their own choices. I suspect most people would be making bad decisions in their circumstances (no shock they're both from intake).

Bremen fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 24, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Bremen posted:

In defense of the idiots, they're 15 and have within the last few months been given superpowers, had everything they knew about their lives upended, then abruptly yanked away from their support structures, and lastly put in charge of making their own choices. I suspect most people would be making bad decisions in their circumstances (no shock they're both from intake).

SS80: To be clear, I think it made sense that 15 year old boys in their situation might be like that. It is just that the whiplash from how the interviewers were talking about people is insane.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SS 80 Making 15 year olds into the heros of the future might not be the best idea. But then, if formal programs didn't exist to give new superhumans a path to it, they'd probably do worse themselves, and the nepotism/local advantage would be even more pronounced

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 24, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Remember to try to keep those spoilers labeled.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

(SupSup 80)This was a nice chapter. Kon crushed that conversation.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's on RR too. It's going to be the cover for vol 1.

I love that this is an actual event in the work, doing blood transfusion with a horrible monster. I mean, she had an actual reason for doing it but it's an amazing out of context image.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

LLSix posted:

(SupSup 80)This was a nice chapter. Kon crushed that conversation.

(SupSup80) Also managed to get his brother a roommate he is unlikely to want to murder. Speaking of the two, major respect to their parents for sticking to their art.

Edit: Also I wonder if he will connect the simplified story of Alden on the moon with his comments about using his skill to protect people

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 25, 2023

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I’m really starting to get really worried about Slumrat Rising. Things are going too well. I feel like Truth is being set up for a spectacular return to horrible reality. I hope we can trust the author enough not to give us a fridging.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I’m still so mad about Bog Standard. 3-18 It is very clear to me that the author wants to make an edgy “evil” berserker but has no interest in actually exploring the concept, so he just made a cartoon villain into a class, and then in order to explain why anyone would ever take any of those skills, declared that evil classes just make you evil inherently. Pain Resistance upgrading to turn pain into pleasure doesn’t have any real purpose unless you, a gross little dude, want to get off on all the pain. Same thing with the scab eating one; that’s something that would only be taken by people who are predisposed to staying away from civilization and doing gross poo poo. The level 20 skill that lets you heal by hurting your allies (and gives you bonus XP for murdering them!) would only ever be taken by people who are already selfish and amoral enough to do that kind of thing to begin with.

I predict that we’re going to get a whole lot more scenes like that last one, where Brin is on the verge of doing something eeeeevil, but manages to fight off his dark impulses (which are not his fault) and swerve at the last minute to do something good. We will be expected to cheer when this happens.

Hell, I think the author might not even know how to make a good “evil” class. The only skill options we’ve seen that aren’t cartoon evil are boring. “Spend mana to heal” and “deal more damage while hurt” are so blindingly obvious that I would have been surprised to not see them as choices. It’s almost insulting that there’s a default option every level that’s just making his healing title 10% better, because that lets the author off the hook for needing to come up with an interesting non-evil option that Brin might actually want to take.

What’s really infuriating is that this is such an easy concept to design around. “Guy who gets stronger the more he gets hurt” is not even a remotely novel concept, especially in LitRPGs, so there’s already a wealth of ideas to draw on. Start with Rob from Outcast, dial up the self harm by 20%, and you’ve got a solid core for a guy who is incentivized to deliberately put himself in harm’s way without considering the costs.

Self-destructive tendencies aren’t really evil, though. So, once Brin has a bunch of skills that feed off of his own pain, give him this:

quote:

[Shake It Off] - Your allies feel less pain from their injuries. You may choose to feel it as your own.
Now, you have someone who is incentivized, at least a little bit, to let his allies get hurt. It starts as a passive way to keep pressing forward as a fight drags on. Then, in a pitched battle, his entire party gets nuked by a fireball, filling him with enough strength to turn the tide and win against all odds. After that, there will always be the thought in the back of his head that maybe it wouldn’t be the worst thing for his friends to get hurt, because if they go down, he’ll be able to win, right?

Then, a few levels later, give him this entirely innocuous thing:

quote:

[Sympathetic Scarring] - When a creature you can see receives an injury, treat it as one you received yourself for the purposes of skill activation and experience gain.
Perfect for someone who anticipates doing a whole lot of damage. But after a few fights, he makes the connection that if he really wants to maximize his XP gain, he shouldn’t be going for killing blows. He should be hurting his enemies as much as he can. Why get a clean kill when you can leave someone bleeding out on the ground for five times as much gain? Don’t worry about how much XP you’re getting when your allies get hurt.

Give it a few more fights and a few more levels, and you’ve got someone who’s lost a lot of his empathy for the suffering of others. Someone who treats the people around him as batteries for his skills. Then, put him in a fight where he loses badly. As death closes in, he remembers the skill he took allll the way back at level 20, because it wasn’t cartoonishly evil:

quote:

[Transfer Wounds] - Transfer wounds between yourself and an ally.
He’s been using this for years to fix his mistakes. Nobody has ever seriously gotten hurt under his watch, despite his best efforts, because he can just fix whatever happens. This is the reason he is a trusted companion as opposed to a massive liability.

He’s only ever used it the one way, to heal. Despite everything, he would never deliberately harm an ally. But, in what might very well be his last moments, he sees his friend running towards him, and the part of his brain that’s grown used to seeing the people around him as resources kicks in and asks, “what if I don’t have to die?”

Easy.
God, I’m so mad.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
While I appreciate someone posting some CIA boxes about something that's not borshch, I must admit I genuinely don't see this is something you would tilt about, even after reading you go through your line of reasoning.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 25, 2023

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
None of that stuff matters because he breaks an oath and becomes a Glasser the next chapter. At which point I dropped the series.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

blastron posted:

I’m still so mad about Bog Standard. 3-18 It is very clear to me that the author wants to make an edgy “evil” berserker but has no interest in actually exploring the concept, so he just made a cartoon villain into a class, and then in order to explain why anyone would ever take any of those skills, declared that evil classes just make you evil inherently. Pain Resistance upgrading to turn pain into pleasure doesn’t have any real purpose unless you, a gross little dude, want to get off on all the pain. Same thing with the scab eating one; that’s something that would only be taken by people who are predisposed to staying away from civilization and doing gross poo poo. The level 20 skill that lets you heal by hurting your allies (and gives you bonus XP for murdering them!) would only ever be taken by people who are already selfish and amoral enough to do that kind of thing to begin with.

I predict that we’re going to get a whole lot more scenes like that last one, where Brin is on the verge of doing something eeeeevil, but manages to fight off his dark impulses (which are not his fault) and swerve at the last minute to do something good. We will be expected to cheer when this happens.

Hell, I think the author might not even know how to make a good “evil” class. The only skill options we’ve seen that aren’t cartoon evil are boring. “Spend mana to heal” and “deal more damage while hurt” are so blindingly obvious that I would have been surprised to not see them as choices. It’s almost insulting that there’s a default option every level that’s just making his healing title 10% better, because that lets the author off the hook for needing to come up with an interesting non-evil option that Brin might actually want to take.

What’s really infuriating is that this is such an easy concept to design around. “Guy who gets stronger the more he gets hurt” is not even a remotely novel concept, especially in LitRPGs, so there’s already a wealth of ideas to draw on. Start with Rob from Outcast, dial up the self harm by 20%, and you’ve got a solid core for a guy who is incentivized to deliberately put himself in harm’s way without considering the costs.

Self-destructive tendencies aren’t really evil, though. So, once Brin has a bunch of skills that feed off of his own pain, give him this:

Now, you have someone who is incentivized, at least a little bit, to let his allies get hurt. It starts as a passive way to keep pressing forward as a fight drags on. Then, in a pitched battle, his entire party gets nuked by a fireball, filling him with enough strength to turn the tide and win against all odds. After that, there will always be the thought in the back of his head that maybe it wouldn’t be the worst thing for his friends to get hurt, because if they go down, he’ll be able to win, right?

Then, a few levels later, give him this entirely innocuous thing:

Perfect for someone who anticipates doing a whole lot of damage. But after a few fights, he makes the connection that if he really wants to maximize his XP gain, he shouldn’t be going for killing blows. He should be hurting his enemies as much as he can. Why get a clean kill when you can leave someone bleeding out on the ground for five times as much gain? Don’t worry about how much XP you’re getting when your allies get hurt.

Give it a few more fights and a few more levels, and you’ve got someone who’s lost a lot of his empathy for the suffering of others. Someone who treats the people around him as batteries for his skills. Then, put him in a fight where he loses badly. As death closes in, he remembers the skill he took allll the way back at level 20, because it wasn’t cartoonishly evil:

He’s been using this for years to fix his mistakes. Nobody has ever seriously gotten hurt under his watch, despite his best efforts, because he can just fix whatever happens. This is the reason he is a trusted companion as opposed to a massive liability.

He’s only ever used it the one way, to heal. Despite everything, he would never deliberately harm an ally. But, in what might very well be his last moments, he sees his friend running towards him, and the part of his brain that’s grown used to seeing the people around him as resources kicks in and asks, “what if I don’t have to die?”

Easy.
God, I’m so mad.

Man, that would be a lot cooler than what the author did.

shirunei posted:

None of that stuff matters because he breaks an oath and becomes a Glasser the next chapter. At which point I dropped [Bog Standard].
One of us :woop: One of us :woop:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

shirunei posted:

None of that stuff matters because he breaks an oath and becomes a Glasser the next chapter. At which point I dropped the series.

Are you loving kidding me

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
It's not like Bog Standard Isekai just did all that at random? It was to make it clear that yeah, Evil Classes really are bad, they are powerful but there is no other real upside. This isn't some MMO story about how "if you overcome the downsides and/or do this special trick, they're really the strongest!" or one of those isekai revenge stories about how the dark loner ostracized by everyone else is the real savior because The Dark Made Him Strong. Sometimes obviously bad things that the wise mentor says are bad really are bad, and sometimes having bad things happen to you makes you a worse person for a while!

So instead of it being a long-term story element, his time in Scarred One is a character development thing, because the protagonist was able to push past the temptation it presented. And now that the protagonist was reasonable enough to get out the moment he was free to, he has to deal with the fact that other people have chosen not to do the same, which is why there's the book end cliffhanger of "there's seven Witches in town, and at least one of them is a traitor."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

blastron posted:

Are you loving kidding me
this owns and it could only be better if they spent multiple chapters talking about crunchy stats numbers for his build as a Scarred One before punting that poo poo into the garbage forever

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

OddObserver posted:

(SupSup80) Also managed to get his brother a roommate he is unlikely to want to murder. Speaking of the two, major respect to their parents for sticking to their art.

Edit: Also I wonder if he will connect the simplified story of Alden on the moon with his comments about using his skill to protect people

(SupSup80) I feel like Lexi's specific Meister class has got to be one of the best possible combat-related Meister classes, especially for hero work. "Whip that you can control the movement of" seems very good/versatile.

I wonder if there's more to the schism between him and his brother than just envy over Rank.

Kon vaguely reminds me of this hyper-social Russian guy I was friends with in college (who actually shares a name with Kon's brother if his brother's full name is Alexey). That guy was responsible for probably half of the fun stuff I did in college. It's nice to have at least one hyper-social friend like that, even if you're somewhat introverted yourself.

It seems like there's a good chance the other people who took the bus home with Alden/Maricel might also become "main cast members." Wacky guy (forget his Class/Rank) and A-Rank Speedster IIRC. And maybe Kon's other friend who Maricel is rooming with.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
if bog standard doesnt take place in a literal bog then that story is worthless

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

it does

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The title accurately describing the meta narrative about the story certainly is something.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Anias posted:

The title accurately describing the meta narrative about the story certainly is something.

it's also an explicit in-universe injoke/pun because the town has so many excellent/high level crafters that they've created a local SYSTEM effect to denote items of exceptional quality as being up to "bog standard"

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

LGD posted:

it's also an explicit in-universe injoke/pun because the town has so many excellent/high level crafters that they've created a local SYSTEM effect to denote items of exceptional quality as being up to "bog standard"

That’s what the opening intro claims, but 2 “books” in, that has yet to be true.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

LLSix posted:

That’s what the opening intro claims, but 2 “books” in, that has yet to be true.

it's in the latest chapter when he unlocks the Inspect skill and discusses it with Hogg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

A standard bog, even.