Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

have we seen the street shark irl? the only place I remember it from is the other amaurot ex dungeon which was also a recretion of like...lahabrea's lab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Where the hell is my Solo Duty Finder YoshiP, I wanna punch Zenos again and don't have time to new game plus the entire expac

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Badger of Basra posted:

have we seen the street shark irl? the only place I remember it from is the other amaurot ex dungeon which was also a recretion of like...lahabrea's lab?

It seems to be an A rank in the area

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirSamVimes posted:

There's a couple of them in the Akaedemia Anyder as a boss, so I imagine they got approved in the end.

quote:

In a quiet corner of Amaurot stands an unremarkable entrance to a most remarkable institution─the Akadaemia Anyder. Within its hallowed halls, the star's ancient overseers toil to perfect the godlike art of creation magicks, their research and experiments bringing into existence myriad forms of fantastical life. Yet even if these creations be naught but reflections of reality─mere phantasms woven from aether─the techniques which engender such miracles are a source of undeniable power. Step now across the threshold, and behold the glories of a civilization lost to the ages.

Akadaemia Aneyder is, like, a school for creation magic. I guess maybe someone was making street sharks for practice? I think what happened in that dungeon is that a bunch of creations accidentally gained souls, so they may not have been approved. We'll have to see if they ever show up in modern Eitherys :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
maybe all the street sharks live in meracydia

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

thetoughestbean posted:

She literally tells people to embrace nihility

She does, but she's also doing this because part of her wants to put an end to suffering. Her appeal at the apex of Ultima Thule is a gentle offer and request for the player to lay down their burden. And even that is her attempting to silence her own despair--if everyone is gone, there will be no more suffering and no one left for her to feel for. It's why anyone can get to her at the climax: she's an empathetic individual created by a man who has despaired for all of his compassion, and her exposure to such breadth of misery has led her to feel the answer to despair is for life to end.

She's arguably not a nihilist (I use arguably because there are numerous different ideas on what constitutes nihilist thought and philosophy). She's using nihilism to cover for her own suffering, and the finale to the final trial has her confused because she'd spent so long trying to believe death was the answer to what makes life worth living, the question she was made to try and answer so long ago, and is forced to find it lacking in the face of hope and the multitude of other reasons people hold.

cheetah7071 posted:

maybe all the street sharks live in meracydia

I was amused to discover that even the Ancients had Shark Week.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Begemot posted:

The Final Days were caused by too many sweets :(

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

yeah my girlfriend's a street shark, no you wouldn't know her she's uhhhh meracydian

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

lmao I forgot about this

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Maybe all the cool stuff that was in development on Elpis got out when the world broke post-Sundering?

I mean, aside from the street sharks, sadly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FeatherFloat posted:

Maybe all the cool stuff that was in development on Elpis got out when the world broke post-Sundering?

I mean, aside from the street sharks, sadly.
Yeah I think that's the implication, the place broke/crashed/fell apart/was set to Land The Islands Mode by a survivor desperate to save what they could, and from there, all that bullshit got out.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Chillgamesh posted:

I think Cid and Nero wouldn't have really added anything to the Garlemald stretch tbh, they're really upbeat/fun characters and at odds with the tone of that stretch of the story. They would have just been there for the sake of being there, fixing heaters in the background while the plot progresses around them. Lucia and Maxima are already there to be sympathetic Garlean characters.

Cid's story in the Bozja quests wasn't really upbeat/fun. :v: So I don't see that being a reason.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Imagine a species of intelligent digital lifeforms, Tron-esque perhaps, thousands of years in the future. Then imagine how they'd look at today's steam workshop. That's Elpis.

Though the ancients honestly come off better than we do in this analogy.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Kazy posted:

Cid's story in the Bozja quests wasn't really upbeat/fun. :v: So I don't see that being a reason.

I guess I just think that Garlemald had enough going on without trying to squeeze Cid and Nero in there too.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nessus posted:

Yeah I think that's the implication, the place broke/crashed/fell apart/was set to Land The Islands Mode by a survivor desperate to save what they could, and from there, all that bullshit got out.

Yeah, Elidibus (? Or was it Emet?) tells you there's no trace of the place left in the present day, but that's clearly wrong. The buildings are gone but the world is full of traces of it. Whether due to Final Days damage, lack of maintenance, or a survivor's actions, those islands came down somewhere and released their contents.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah, Elidibus (? Or was it Emet?) tells you there's no trace of the place left in the present day, but that's clearly wrong. The buildings are gone but the world is full of traces of it. Whether due to Final Days damage, lack of maintenance, or a survivor's actions, those islands came down somewhere and released their contents.

Elidibus said it! And yeah, nary a trace of the buildings and structures, but hoo boy there's behemoths out there just waiting to drop some meteors!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the behemoth was on track to be approved, there's no need for it to be an escapee

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. There's no telling how long it was after our visit to Elpis that the final days happened. All of those creatures could have been approved and sent to live in their surface ecosystems long before the islands came down.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

There are no Street Sharks in the modern day because Hythlodaeus went through with his wish to tell the submitter to go away.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Gruckles posted:

There are no Street Sharks in the modern day because Hythlodaeus went through with his wish to tell the submitter to go away.

Hythlodaeus I thought you were my bro. :(

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVSD_4dzN0g

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

i wonder how the rampant QC issues are working out for that person

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

cheetah7071 posted:

I assume any mob that is a reuse of a model from the sundered world got approved eventually, possibly with some minor modifications, because otherwise we wouldn't be seeing it 12 thousand years later

I like the sidequest where they ask you for tips on how to make those loving frogs more annoying.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Do they ever say why people started calling the planet Hydaelyn

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Flavahbeast posted:

Given how quickly they all start called it Etheirys I think it's just one of those Terra/Earth situations, like how Eorzea is what most of its inhabitants called the continent of Aldenard, and with the reveal of who Hydaelyn is it also maybe felt a bit wrong to keep doing it.

The reveal of the name comes from the Loporrits though and they refer to it as the name the Ancients called it, and it is a sudden shift in nomenclature nobody remarks on.

Edit: somehow the part I wrote about Hydaelyn got lost. I suspect it was simply because people knew they owed their lives to her and she's been tittering in the ear of every single person throughout history who discovers they have the Echo, presumably.

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 21, 2021

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Countblanc posted:

I don't like that Hydaelyn has an ice attack. All her other attacks are water, earth, wind, or light - white mage stuff. I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

She uses the three umbral elements. Unfortunately I don't recall offhand if Zodiark specifically throws fire, lightning, and wind at us.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ferrinus posted:

She uses the three umbral elements. Unfortunately I don't recall offhand if Zodiark specifically throws fire, lightning, and wind at us.

The bird mobs use lightning and the later mob attacks also has fire. And I think he uses wind for the diagonal line? He's a lot more dark focused than Hydaelyn is light.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Flavahbeast posted:

I assume it was because Hydaelyn started screaming into the brains of random people, so they naturally assumed 'hey, that must be the planet', ergo, shared name.

Also, I feel like the reason they made the Ancients lame tall humans instead of keeping them as cool ethereal giants is because if they didn't, it would be completely loving impossible to not have Cythereal's reading of 'oh these guys are terrifyingly powerful and have absolutely no concept of what lesser lives are like or how much pain they cause'. The text for that is absolutely there, it's just the presentation that gives them humanity; if they all looked like The Watcher, Elpis would be a loving horror show.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Ironslave posted:

Given how quickly they all start called it Etheirys I think it's just one of those Terra/Earth situations, like how Eorzea is what most of its inhabitants called the continent of Aldenard, and with the reveal of who Hydaelyn is it also maybe felt a bit wrong to keep doing it.

The reveal of the name comes from the Loporrits though and they refer to it as the name the Ancients called it, and it is a sudden shift in nomenclature nobody remarks on.

It was probably one of those Terra/Earth things, looking at it purely from the story setting. The Loporrits using Etheirys made it a lot easier to keep the goddess and the planet straight, especially since.. with Zodiark dead.. the existence of the Primal intended to be his counter was going to become questionable in short order.

The more interesting bit is how we stuck to using Dynamis when we'd been introduced to it by name as Akasha first.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well she dwells at the core of the star pulling a wizard of oz routine with a giant magic crystal in a world where magic crystals are a source of power.

Plus every civilization has tales of mighty heroes communing with her, and she is a semi-universal cultural concept on the planet thanks to 16000 years of warriors of light meeting her.

And Hydaelyn doesn't look like any race or species of people, she made the decision to pretend to be a giant crystal to everyone meeting her.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ironslave posted:

"Eorzea" is just the name for the continent and Vylbrand, the island that Limsa is on. It's like if there were separate terms for "Europe" and "Europe including the British Isles".

I don't mind everyone agreeing on a new name for the planet because I was sick to death of everyone awkwardly saying "This Star" all the drat time. The name "Hydaelyn" makes sense if people were able to contact this mysterious goddess in the depths of the lifestream and ask it what its name was, then decided that must be the spirit of the planet itself.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I assume it was because Hydaelyn started screaming into the brains of random people, so they naturally assumed 'hey, that must be the planet', ergo, shared name.

Also, I feel like the reason they made the Ancients lame tall humans instead of keeping them as cool ethereal giants is because if they didn't, it would be completely loving impossible to not have Cythereal's reading of 'oh these guys are terrifyingly powerful and have absolutely no concept of what lesser lives are like or how much pain they cause'. The text for that is absolutely there, it's just the presentation that gives them humanity; if they all looked like The Watcher, Elpis would be a loving horror show.

I think it's because Hythlodaeus wouldn't be nearly as cute without a lilac braided ponytail

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Can we take a moment to appreciate the implication that, at some point, Emet began dying his hair?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Solus body came with brown hair and by golly he's gonna rock it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Can we take a moment to appreciate the implication that, at some point, Emet began dying his hair?

he's been mad at life itself for a very long time so it doesn't seem too unusual

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's cool that Hydaelyn is basically the devil, since she dwells at the bottom of hell and prevents our rightful god from fulfilling his full covenant with us.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I was watching today's Lulu highlights with spoilery streamer reactions, and while Yunalescka was doing the RP walk part of the finale with the ghosts, someone in her chat said "read your debuff when you get to the top". Me being unobservant and at the tail end of a marathon session I didn't notice it when I went through that part. Anyone that did and can report what it said? Here's the link to the part in lulu's clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skJ6p9LdNFU&t=967s

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

bagrada posted:

I was watching today's Lulu highlights with spoilery streamer reactions, and while Yunalescka was doing the RP walk part of the finale with the ghosts, someone in her chat said "read your debuff when you get to the top". Me being unobservant and at the tail end of a marathon session I didn't notice it when I went through that part. Anyone that did and can report what it said? Here's the link to the part in lulu's clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skJ6p9LdNFU&t=967s

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Thanks! I need to watch those more, or increase their size so I see when something is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cleretic posted:

It would also be really confusing visually, because they've established they all dress in a uniform way. You'd be able to tell who Emet-Selch was but otherwise who are these other pricks? I guess that one's riding a doggie.

The excuse of "it is socially kosher to have your hood down and mask off in Elpis in case you get jumped by an ice shark" was cute, at least.