Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

Seems like an awkward thing to swap out between bikes but fair enough. Sounds like it’s time for you to do some testing on lectron carbs.

It's not so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I keep my carbs side saddled too

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So when you pull your bike out and it barely has enough juice to turn the fuel pump should you:

A) Bump start it and ride miles away into downtown at rush hour

or

B) Realize that the battery is probably shot cause it's old and you never put it on the trickle charger and at least try to charge it before probably getting a new battery

You can guess which one I chose

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nsaP posted:

So when you pull your bike out and it barely has enough juice to turn the fuel pump should you:

A) Bump start it and ride miles away into downtown at rush hour

or

B) Realize that the battery is probably shot cause it's old and you never put it on the trickle charger and at least try to charge it before probably getting a new battery

You can guess which one I chose

You put it on the trickle charger a few months too late and then bump started it anyway?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Having to constantly bump start your bike in rush hour traffic is just one easy no-mod way to give it "soul" and "character"

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
After she died the second time not even a big white tent in the south was gonna bring her back

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Kickstart is for posers. Back in the day my grandfather used "inertia start" and that's all I need, too.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Coydog posted:

Kickstart is for posers. Back in the day my grandfather used "inertia start" and that's all I need, too.

Inertia start, you say? :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zXkVQnVmuo

I no joke nearly lost my poo poo when I heard this video because of course I'm a huge Star Wars nerd and the Falcon is the best ship ever cobbled together out of spare parts built.

I want one on my Suzuki :D

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 22, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Got Dunlop's new Q3 plus put on today, supposedly it should last 20% longer. Unfortunately I lack the tire experience / skill to say if it feels a lot better than my last pair of Q3s, but it's definitely more confidence inspiring than the 8 year old Pirelli's my bike originally came with.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slim Pickens posted:

Having to constantly bump start your bike in rush hour traffic is just one easy no-mod way to give it "soul" and "character"
My Ducati had that character once when I was an hour and a half from home. But that was just an old battery. And then another time the rear axle nut came off when I was an hour from home. And then another time a fuel line blew out inside the tank an hour and a half from home. And then another time the fuel line blew out again. And then the clutch froze and wouldn't disengage an hour and a half from home. And then the pump relay was feeding intermittent low voltage to the pump.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anima e Carattere
:discourse:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

The DRZ continuous facelift rolls forward. Fatbars on, starting white plastics from an E model. New sprocket. Tusk handguards don’t play with the thicker bars, I am gonna have to hunt down adapters.

Used the old KTM 990SMT grips and just glued on some covers. Rear wheel has a used 140 rear on it to check fitment - I’m still having issues, this time brake side is pushing into a caliper.

I would have done more but I split around seven hours in the garage today messing around with this and building a new fake trunk for my xB to hide the compressor and wiring and muffle the sound a little better.

And to hunt down air leaks. Always air leaks.

E: also I could only get the new (eBay poo poo gold) clutch lever to fit and not the brake lever, but that was the broken one anyways so w/e. Rock in’ one gold ‘tooth.’

Revvik fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 25, 2018

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

An eBay white plastic DRZ-400e body kit, a used SM white headlight shroud, and some starter fluid.

Rear fender took some cutting to fit onto my S-model subframe. Well, a lot of cutting. And some drilling.

Bike fired on the starting fluid. I forgot how loving loud that exhaust is - sounded like someone let loose with a shotgun in my garage.

Just waiting on my new white tank to come in now. And I’m dropping my spare rims and hubs off to get powder coated. My dirt set is probably just going to get spray bombed flat black.

I also did some templating and plastic work for my low rider. I love when I actually get time off.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Slowly unburying the kick idler assembly for replacement:

I really have minimal desire to pull the rekluse out and remove the clutch basket. Ugh.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I added frame sliders to my brand new to me street triple! The dealership I snagged it from delivered it to my work today. It's been awhile since I've had a street bike. It feels good, real drat good.

2015 Street Triple R ABS with only 831 miles on it.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Yessssss. :kheldragar:

I really dig the gray.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I really have minimal desire to pull the rekluse out and remove the clutch basket. Ugh.

That suuuuucks. I just replaced the kickstart shaft on my 300 and you have to remove the entire basket to gain access to it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Gouged a stripe out of the back tyre spinning it on an ice patch in front of my house. :doh:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

GriszledMelkaba posted:

That suuuuucks. I just replaced the kickstart shaft on my 300 and you have to remove the entire basket to gain access to it.

How did you get the spring off the assembly when it was still sitting in the case? Did you just unscrew the mount?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

How did you get the spring off the assembly when it was still sitting in the case? Did you just unscrew the mount?

I think I unscrewed the mount a bit to relieve some pressure and carefully unscrewed it all the way out, I don't remember it flinging anything. Rotate the assembly ccw and the whole thing should slide out. The spring stays on the assembly though and getting that part off the shaft took some gumption. I really really tried to drill and use a screw extractor to get the broken kick start lever bolt from the PO out of there before going this route.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I think I unscrewed the mount a bit to relieve some pressure and carefully unscrewed it all the way out, I don't remember it flinging anything. Rotate the assembly ccw and the whole thing should slide out. The spring stays on the assembly though and getting that part off the shaft took some gumption. I really really tried to drill and use a screw extractor to get the broken kick start lever bolt from the PO out of there before going this route.

Cool - thanks

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Couldn't find my holding tool, so I used some sox.

Bike's all together and working great.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I hope your socks are made of kevlar

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hope they're fully synthetic ester based socks.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Air Impacts are really nice the couple times you really need them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are those ktm brand socks?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Air Impacts are really nice the couple times per day you really need them
ftfy

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Spark plugs have never been easier

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

ant mouth posted:

I added frame sliders to my brand new to me street triple! The dealership I snagged it from delivered it to my work today. It's been awhile since I've had a street bike. It feels good, real drat good.

2015 Street Triple R ABS with only 831 miles on it.

My next bike after FZ - 07!

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Rear tire hugger extension.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Beach Bum posted:

Spark plugs have never been easier

This guy knows one weird trick to unstick oil drain plugs! Dealerships hate him!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Electrical system: Schematic done. Wiring tomorrow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Same bike as above,

noice.

Cylinder looks in great condition though, so he just bought a top end. I'll slot it in on tuesday. Both circlips were in place, so I don't really have a concept for what caused this issue. oh well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s just a keyed slot to make sure the piston doesn’t get installed backwards!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I .. bought it back.

I sold my Xr650r in December, thinking I wouldn't need it in London and hoping somebody would put it to proper use.
The new owner is emigrating and asked if I knew anyone who'd like to buy it. Turns out that somebody is me.

I am very, very pleased to have it back.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shelvocke posted:

I .. bought it back.

I sold my Xr650r in December, thinking I wouldn't need it in London and hoping somebody would put it to proper use.
The new owner is emigrating and asked if I knew anyone who'd like to buy it. Turns out that somebody is me.

I am very, very pleased to have it back.

The only better choice than this would be to have never sold it in the first place.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Shelvocke posted:

I .. bought it back.

If you love something, set it free. :3:

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Same bike as above,

noice.

Cylinder looks in great condition though, so he just bought a top end. I'll slot it in on tuesday. Both circlips were in place, so I don't really have a concept for what caused this issue. oh well.

Holy poo poo. did it run normal though? this is my first 2 stroke I've ever worked on and I get the feeling that they work perfectly fine all the way until they don't.

This was my piston

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Holy poo poo. did it run normal though? this is my first 2 stroke I've ever worked on and I get the feeling that they work perfectly fine all the way until they don't.

lolno. The rings are pseudo welded to the piston right there, so it didn't start. Compression was bad, but not obviously bad.

Up until now, every time I go in to replace a piston I measure it, and find it's fine, and just replace the rings.

Good to have something new to work with I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Collateral Damage posted:

If you love something, set it free. :3:

Coydog posted:

The only better choice than this would be to have never sold it in the first place.

I actually love it more now it returned to me. Like a boomerang that somehow picked up an icecream up on the way back.