Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Finally! I can post.

Got my SS tinted today, 35% or so all around. Great spot, younger guy that owns his own company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Fixed three wiring issues on my Monster 696. One of them was my fault. Argh. Ducati wiring looms appear to be made of nightmares and shattered glass.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HandlingByJebus posted:

Fixed three wiring issues on my Monster 696. One of them was my fault. Argh. Ducati wiring looms appear to be made of nightmares and shattered glass.

my friend, have you heard the stories about my ducati 749?

Jesus christ, that bike was loving terrible in every single way other than trackdays, when it wasn't catching on fire.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BlackMK4 posted:

my friend, have you heard the stories about my ducati 749?

Jesus christ, that bike was loving terrible in every single way other than trackdays, when it wasn't catching on fire.

I don't believe that I've heard those stories, no. :allears:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Punched a hole in the rear strut towers of my daily-driver Impreza. :(

Worst part is I wanted an 04-05 wagon for the next one, and they also have the same rust-prone strut tower design.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Punched a hole in the rear strut towers of my daily-driver Impreza. :(

Worst part is I wanted an 04-05 wagon for the next one, and they also have the same rust-prone strut tower design.

It has roughly the same wheelbase as this

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2000-4x4-chevy-blazer/1265892480?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

A frame would return some structure

You know a guy with 2 lifts

Just sayin.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Cars been off the road for three months now after the gearbox blew... Putting in the rebuilt box today discovered that two out of three tail shaft uni's have more slop in them than pig trough... rebuild? $1500... Second hand from eBay? $140 delivered.

and now we wait.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Holy gently caress what kind of special unicorn uni joints are they for $1500 for 2???

The big monster ones on the landcruiser are only $50 each and take about an hr to swap all 4 out!

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

My W124 coupe's PO must have enjoyed flinging open the (very long) doors with careless abandon, as the edges were chipped to hell and really ugly:

So I picked up some paint and touched them up, looks a fair bit better now:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

My W124 coupe's PO must have enjoyed flinging open the (very long) doors with careless abandon, as the edges were chipped to hell and really ugly:

So I picked up some paint and touched them up, looks a fair bit better now:

How did you prep the edges? I have a similar deal on my Miata and was thinking of using a fibreglass scratch brush to help with adhesion, as I could see that the PO tried using touchup paint and didn't succeed in doing anything other than make globs that fell off later.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I just picked up two of the smallest size tins of the OEM colours from a paint shop, sanded, cleaned and then primered the chips, then painted the colour on with a small modeling brush. The light grey cladding is plastic, so I just cleaned and then painted it directly. It didn't take too long, about an hour or so total, despite it being my first time messing with actual paintwork on a car. In my experience touchup paint tends to look lovely as it rarely matches the rest of the paint properly, which is why I went with this method. It also ended up being significantly cheaper than repair kits like DrColorChip, which was nice.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Today I fixed my compressor and fitted new rotors and pads ($250) on my $350 beater. Steel on steel makes the car shake when i brake.

It's so great finally having a lift again!

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Ferremit posted:

Holy gently caress what kind of special unicorn uni joints are they for $1500 for 2???

The big monster ones on the landcruiser are only $50 each and take about an hr to swap all 4 out!

I'm not sure on the specifics except that they are a pinout styled one which requires at least two hours labour for each uni joint and we were looking at replacing the third at the same time. This is through Hardy Spicer as they were the only locals who would touch it.

I think it was the usual thing of its a JDM car and we don't do it every day so its time for you to pay!

Here's a photo of the second hand one I bought from the bay of E: http://imgur.com/a/Fazh9

tobu fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 25, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

afen posted:

It's so great finally having a lift again!

Dang, how tall is that ceiling?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

gently caress you Cummins, you're going to be someone else's problem whether you like it or not. Trying to get out of being sold by eating the throwout bearing? Nice try you stupid piece of poo poo.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 25, 2017

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Do.. do you have a 17mm ratcheting wrench tattoo?

That's amazing

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 25, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Hypnolobster posted:

Do.. do you have a 17mm ratcheting wrench tattoo?

That's amazing

Is it accurate?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It is 1:1

e: I put the cummins transmission back in

e2: has anyone ever put the shifter stub back in an 80's truck getrag? holy poo poo what the gently caress man, I'm pretty sure the spring that pushes the stub into the bushing is stronger than a motorcycle valve spring.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 26, 2017

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Having a ducktail fitted to my '82 911. You can see the old whale-tail in the background, which I've liked, but man the ducktail look is just so freaking good on the narrow-body 911s.

Then on Tuesday it goes back to the engine shop to have the engine taken out and partially rebuilt (again). One of the head studs failed so the whole thing was rebuilt and resealed and...they didn't quite seal the #2 cylinder head to cam-tower. Ouch. Doesn't leak that much but I just had it rebuilt it shouldn't leak at all!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I want your 911 super bad.

Last night I pulled the last of the interior off the drivers' side to take a look at the strut tower in my 2003 Impreza wagon.

I think it's toast.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Not sure where to ask, but have a somewhat new to me 1995 Caprice wagon. Thing is, it is missing the battery hold down. Tried looking on gmpartsdirect, shows some odd bracket. Is it a plastic wedge with a bolt or something different?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Not sure where to ask, but have a somewhat new to me 1995 Caprice wagon. Thing is, it is missing the battery hold down. Tried looking on gmpartsdirect, shows some odd bracket. Is it a plastic wedge with a bolt or something different?

A plastic wedge with a bolt sounds like what GM was using at the time. The wedge goes over the lip at the bottom of the battery and gets cinched by the bolt.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Seminal Flu posted:

A plastic wedge with a bolt sounds like what GM was using at the time. The wedge goes over the lip at the bottom of the battery and gets cinched by the bolt.

Yeah, sort of was hoping for that. That's what my 96 lesabre has but the parts diagram shows something totally different.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The only thing I really don't like on my Scion xB was the steering wheel, made of a rough textured plastic that felt horrible. Looking around scion has new ones for $$$ but then I found out the Rav4 wheels are a bolt in and found one in excellent condition on ebay for $90.

Original wheel, you can see the rough texture in the pic.

Side by side with the leather Rav4 wheel on the left.

Buttons swapped over as the Rav4 buttons don't work with the Scion airbag. Gonna snag a Rav4 airbag down the road so I can use the phone control buttons as well. They are expensive tho, maybe I can find one cheap eventually.

New leather hotness.

Not a bad upgrade for $90 huh?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Last night I pulled the last of the interior off the drivers' side to take a look at the strut tower in my 2003 Impreza wagon.

I think it's toast.

Ugh :\

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Cleaned it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think it's toast.

Looks more like swiss cheese to me :haw:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

I think it's toast.

If Binky has anything to teach anyone it's that "anything can be fabricated" :eng101:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Exactly, that's nothing.

Wire wheel both sides. Hit both sides with a liberal coating of Corroseal and whatever top coat you want. On the underside / wheel well side, make a template using a cereal box that covers the whole affected area +20%. Cut out of slightly thicker sheet metal than the Subaru stuff. Glue that fucker on with 3M metal adhesive (they glue Loti together don't they?). Coat with etch primer and rocker guard.

I've done the same thing to beater RX-7 wheel wells, cargo bins and rockers twice now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Bungie cord?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A solid rubber bungee cord

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
If it's got a hole for the bolt/wedge style, get a piece of flat aluminum or steel and drill a hole through it and use a random bolt from the bolt bucket. If it wants an up and over bracket, get a lovely cheap ratchet tie-down maybe?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Spent ages filling and rubbing down and then started spraying it

Now for lots more filling and rubbing down :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Replaced the rear shocks on the 245, also replaced the pads and rotor on one side, but discovered the other side's caliper was trash so I ordered 2 new ones and will complete the job once they arrive.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Tomarse posted:

Spent ages filling and rubbing down and then started spraying it

Now for lots more filling and rubbing down :(

looking good! What kind of primer are you shooting and through what?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Decided that I really needed to tackle the leaking shaft pivot seal in the MS6. The hardest part was finding 70W90 GL-4 gear oil on a shelf in town. Took about 20 minutes to tear it all the way down

The stupid transfer pump I bought from HF wouldn't work with the bottles of oil I bought so I had to gravity feed the oil into the fill hole. Then I forgot to plug the MAF back in and had a small panic at the multiple CELs Torque spit out at me.

THEN I tore the Miata apart to get at the AC clutch. Got the clutch out but was foiled by the snap ring being inaccessible without yanking out more bits. Whatever, I'll get back to it later.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

always be closing posted:

looking good! What kind of primer are you shooting and through what?

It looks good in a potato shot from 6 foot!

I'm using 1k cellulose as I don't have an air fed mask for 2k. That's 2 coats of high build primer which I shot through the cheapest generic spray gun you can buy here. It has showed up that I have lots of surface work to do on the arches (which are all new metal so this isn't too surprising).
I've got a nicer gravity fed gun which i'm going to use for the top coat. I'm looking forward to using that over the lovely gun.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Tomarse posted:

It looks good in a potato shot from 6 foot!

I'm using 1k cellulose as I don't have an air fed mask for 2k. That's 2 coats of high build primer which I shot through the cheapest generic spray gun you can buy here. It has showed up that I have lots of surface work to do on the arches (which are all new metal so this isn't too surprising).
I've got a nicer gravity fed gun which i'm going to use for the top coat. I'm looking forward to using that over the lovely gun.

Ok cool. I really want to try shooting some of that polyeser primer surfacer, which needs at least a 1.8 tip. I can drill out the fluid cap on an HF gun and get 1.98 I read somewhere.

This weekend I shot 2k epoxy primer, 1k base and 2k Clear all from rattle cans I got at the auto body supplier. The 2k products were activated it was pretty cool, I'll post a pic tomorrow. For PPE I am using a 3m halfmask with p95 cartridges, coveralls, glasses and a head sock. hopefully not getting cancer.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

always be closing posted:

Ok cool. I really want to try shooting some of that polyeser primer surfacer, which needs at least a 1.8 tip. I can drill out the fluid cap on an HF gun and get 1.98 I read somewhere.

This weekend I shot 2k epoxy primer, 1k base and 2k Clear all from rattle cans I got at the auto body supplier. The 2k products were activated it was pretty cool, I'll post a pic tomorrow. For PPE I am using a 3m halfmask with p95 cartridges, coveralls, glasses and a head sock. hopefully not getting cancer.

Buy yourself a gun and give it a try!

I wasn't aware that any PPE short of a full face air fed mask was enough to prevent 2k paint getting you? (Though If it is pre activated from a rattle can is it really 2k?)

I'm not sure how the P95 mask rating compares to the ones I can get here? Does it have a gas rating too?
I'm using a filter mask with A2P3 filters in. I need to get some properly sealed goggles though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Applied coilovers to escape 4x4 stance

Might need to drop the front a wee bit more, handles lovely though and doesn't attempt to tip over on corners like it used to.