Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

After listening to the latest episode of Dan Carlins hardcore history, I did some reading up on WW1, what kinda shocked me was that certain kooky concepts associated with hitler (lebensraum and mass colonization and population replacement) was actually developed and propagated during that time.
Read this: The Kaiser's Holocaust, yes its a whole book but is it not only written in a very accessible manner, but also covers a myriad of topics related to both colonialism and the world wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
You fuckers need to post more, if we've got the new OP up we can finally squash the RACIST AMERICANS DROPPED THE H-BOMB ON THE JAPANESE INSTEAD OF THE GERMANS 'discussion'.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Koesj posted:

You fuckers need to post more, if we've got the new OP up we can finally squash the RACIST AMERICANS DROPPED THE H-BOMB ON THE JAPANESE INSTEAD OF THE GERMANS 'discussion'.

Clearly they deliberately delayed the Manhattan Project so they wouldn't have to drop the bomb on the Germans, the goddamn racists.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Farecoal posted:

Clearly they deliberately delayed the Manhattan Project so they wouldn't have to drop the bomb on the Germans, the goddamn racists.

Hitler's final act of racism was to lose the war before the Americans could finish the bomb.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Hitler's final act of racism was to lose the war before the Americans could finish the bomb.

Are you implying Hitler was kind of a bad guy :colbert:

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
Literally worse than Hitler.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
We can get the new OP up whenever everyone wants, 400 is just a satisfyingly round number.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
HEGEL I didn't see any new commentary, is it done?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Are you referring to the resumption of fighting after Trotsky's hilarious no annexations peace conference went down in flames or the garrisoning of captured land after Brest-litovsk?

The Garrisoning of captured land, it didn't make any sense, what was the point of holding on the brest-litovsk and the land around it if in the end you lost the more important part of the war and lost everything?

quote:

Read this: The Kaiser's Holocaust, yes its a whole book but is it not only written in a very accessible manner, but also covers a myriad of topics related to both colonialism and the world wars.

Thanks! will look into it!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Given it's Remembrance Sunday I'm going to post the war diary entry for the last battle my Grandfather took part in. The fact that it's so clinically written just makes it more harrowing to think about what's being described.

1944-02-09
Regiment: 10th Royal Berkshire
0001: A Coy patrol occupies house: No enemy there. 0005: D Coy bring attacked DF's fired 0018: MMG's fire overhead on wood 0030: Bde Comd at Bn HQ. 1 Coy 1 Lon Scot to relieve B if poss. D Coy ask for 7 wounded to be collected. Own Arty short on D Coy 0126: D Coy heavily engaged to front. DF's fired 0125: R.E.'s report Minefield complete. 0127: D Coy report Enemy mainly on left front 0159: B Coy being attacked & driven out of house 895336 0210: B Coy report tanks at 905333 0213: D Coy report enemy patrol caught in area 2 PW's 0300: B Coy report tanks approaching from right 0315: B Coy being attacked. DF's fired. 0320: C.O. orders A Coy to retake house 895336 by 1st light 0326: B Coy report tanks moved away. 0430: C.O. asks for Tank Spt 0440: Bde say tanks will arrive in 15 Mins 0458: Mortar Def in house 888324 report enemy milling round house 0510: Enemy round house 888324 and 892329 (D Coys Rt & Left) 0520: Strong Enemy patrols moving round C Coy, 1 Lon Scot 892322 0520: House 888334 still in enemy hands. D Coy cannot retake 0530: Enemy patrol attacks 4.2 Mortar near Bn HQ 894316 0600: 2 Tanks now with D Coy sit. improved 0627: B Coy still ok but enemy tanks on right flank 0628: C.O. asks D Coy to send tanks to B 0638: B Coy have several wounded. Enemy tanks in FORK area 0648: Tank Comd at Bn HQ says tanks cannot go to B Coy 0652: B Coy report. Enemy Tanks 903335 DF RAZOR called 0704: B Coy see more tanks at 902338 (Own Tanks now withdrawn to 892330) 0733: Observe situation at D Coy. Apparently large numbers of inf. & Tanks coming out of wood from north. Own Amn pratically exhausted and 60% LMG's u/s D Coy still calling DF's 0755: Own Tanks at 892330 being engaged by AP from wood 0810: D Coy report enemy tanks at 876330. Observe Tanks approaching B Coy also infantry 0806: Last W/T conversation with B Coy. Tanks asked for to deal with situation Amn & men v. low 0812: Bde informed B Coy overrun 0816: D Coy observe Enemy Tanks and Inf. In B area. 0818: 3 Tanks move from B Coy West along Rd 1 is hit & wdws. Smoke screen laid & tanks proceed followed by infantry. 0829: D Coy report being heavily engaged by tanks and infantry. Enemy in area - heavy casualties. 0835: Major F.D. Jones MC reports all pls overrun. Last W/T conversation. The Bn consisted of Tac Bn HQ 2 Secs C Coy, some Mortar & Carrier Pl , a total of 40. 0835: C Coy 1 Lon Scoy still in posn. - General Lull. 0900: 18 PW's from D Coy at Bn HQ 0950: Rdr Of Bn moves in posn in Scrub 200y to East of old Bn HQ 1750: Bn to form Pl posn in house 891311 1800: Place 891311: Posn established 1805: C.O. returns from Bde. Bn to revert to Bde Reserve to cover wadi 886306. Force of 50 from B Ech personnel formed. 1900: Layout Bn HQ and 1 force 890301, Other force at 885306 covering wadi General reserve C/Atk role A quiet night

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Given it's Remembrance Sunday I'm going to post the war diary entry for the last battle my Grandfather took part in. The fact that it's so clinically written just makes it more harrowing to think about what's being described.

1944-02-09
Regiment: 10th Royal Berkshire
0001: A Coy patrol occupies house: No enemy there.
0005: D Coy bring attacked DF's fired
0018: MMG's fire overhead on wood
0030: Bde Comd at Bn HQ. 1 Coy 1 Lon Scot to relieve B if poss. D Coy ask for 7 wounded to be collected. Own Arty short on D Coy
0126: D Coy heavily engaged to front. DF's fired
0125: R.E.'s report Minefield complete.
0127: D Coy report Enemy mainly on left front
0159: B Coy being attacked & driven out of house 895336
0210: B Coy report tanks at 905333
0213: D Coy report enemy patrol caught in area 2 PW's
0300: B Coy report tanks approaching from right
0315: B Coy being attacked. DF's fired.
0320: C.O. orders A Coy to retake house 895336 by 1st light
0326: B Coy report tanks moved away.
0430: C.O. asks for Tank Spt
0440: Bde say tanks will arrive in 15 Mins
0458: Mortar Def in house 888324 report enemy milling round house
0510: Enemy round house 888324 and 892329 (D Coys Rt & Left)
0520: Strong Enemy patrols moving round C Coy, 1 Lon Scot 892322
0520: House 888334 still in enemy hands. D Coy cannot retake
0530: Enemy patrol attacks 4.2 Mortar near Bn HQ 894316
0600: 2 Tanks now with D Coy sit. improved 0627: B Coy still ok but enemy tanks on right flank 0628: C.O. asks D Coy to send tanks to B
0638: B Coy have several wounded. Enemy tanks in FORK area
0648: Tank Comd at Bn HQ says tanks cannot go to B Coy
0652: B Coy report. Enemy Tanks 903335 DF RAZOR called
0704: B Coy see more tanks at 902338 (Own Tanks now withdrawn to 892330)
0733: Observe situation at D Coy. Apparently large numbers of inf. & Tanks coming out of wood from north. Own Amn pratically exhausted and 60% LMG's u/s D Coy still calling DF's
0755: Own Tanks at 892330 being engaged by AP from wood
0810: D Coy report enemy tanks at 876330. Observe Tanks approaching B Coy also infantry
0806: Last W/T conversation with B Coy. Tanks asked for to deal with situation Amn & men v. low
0812: Bde informed B Coy overrun
0816: D Coy observe Enemy Tanks and Inf. In B area.
0818: 3 Tanks move from B Coy West along Rd 1 is hit & wdws. Smoke screen laid & tanks proceed followed by infantry.
0829: D Coy report being heavily engaged by tanks and infantry. Enemy in area - heavy casualties.
0835: Major F.D. Jones MC reports all pls overrun. Last W/T conversation. The Bn consisted of Tac Bn HQ 2 Secs C Coy, some Mortar & Carrier Pl , a total of 40.
0835: C Coy 1 Lon Scoy still in posn. - General Lull.
0900: 18 PW's from D Coy at Bn HQ
0950: Rdr Of Bn moves in posn in Scrub 200y to East of old Bn HQ
1750: Bn to form Pl posn in house 891311 1800: Place 891311: Posn established
1805: C.O. returns from Bde. Bn to revert to Bde Reserve to cover wadi 886306. Force of 50 from B Ech personnel formed.
1900: Layout Bn HQ and 1 force 890301, Other force at 885306 covering wadi General reserve C/Atk role A quiet night

Improved for readability.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Al-Saqr posted:

The Garrisoning of captured land, it didn't make any sense, what was the point of holding on the brest-litovsk and the land around it if in the end you lost the more important part of the war and lost everything?

The allied blockade of the continent is pretty much why then. While mass starvation wasn't a thing until after the armistice, there were still critical shortages of food and other resources. Thus the newly owned areas of the Baltic, Poland, Belorussia and the Ukraine especially were to be exploited to support Germany in the war, much as hitler planned to do so. However they discovered, as hitler also was, that German occupied Ukraine was really hard to get food out of even when you're not shooting the peasants for being untermenschen.

It's not until the end of the spring offensive that Ludendorff realizes just how in shambles the German army is but they still have the Hindenburg line as a back up, so why not continue trying to exploit Ukraine while holding out in the Hindenburg line, bleeding the allies there and forcing a peace. Unfortunately for the Kaiser the Hindenburg line turned out to not be the defensive position they hoped it was and the allies punched through it in the 100 days offensive.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 10, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Koesj posted:

HEGEL I didn't see any new commentary, is it done?

I'm done--ask Rodrigo Diaz if he's done.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Was there a clearly identifiable mistake in the German plan for Verdun? Wrong place, wrong objective, didn't pull out in time, wrong tactics, bad generalship?

What I've read about it tends to come down to a narration of what it was, how it turned out and maybe the controversy of whether Falkenhayn was covering his rear end by claiming it really was intended to be an attritional battle after the fact. What could have been done better?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

a travelling HEGEL posted:

I'm done--ask Rodrigo Diaz if he's done.

I can post when its not a football day. There's still one or two things I want to add our rephrase

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Honestly I think that the source of German defeat at Verdun wasn't really what they did wrong, more what the French did right. If they were a tiny bit less lucky and one reserve colonel did not circumvent the chain of command to tell HQ that he can hear the Kronprinz's troops moving around his positions at night, Verdun would probably fall within a week with barely any fight. Then Petain took over and turned out to be a lot better in managing his troops than Germans - he rotated them so frequently that out of 330 French infantry regiments 259 served at Verdun at some point between 1916 and 1917. As a result, the French were fairly well rested, supplied and generally in good shape, while their enemies rotated out of the battle far less frequently.

It can also be argued that once the French defence solidified the Germans should have just cut their losses and stopped assaulting the heavily fortified region instead of drumming it up in the newspapers as an imminent triumph, but that seems to be so heavily par for the course for the entire Western Front in WWI that I can hardly hold it against them.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I can post when its not a football day. There's still one or two things I want to add our rephrase
Cool, let me check it over when you're done and then I think that'll be it, since there's nothing else I want to add. Anyone else?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Was Ferdinand Foch the complete rear end in a top hat monster he's made out to be?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Tevery Best posted:

Honestly I think that the source of German defeat at Verdun wasn't really what they did wrong, more what the French did right. If they were a tiny bit less lucky and one reserve colonel did not circumvent the chain of command to tell HQ that he can hear the Kronprinz's troops moving around his positions at night, Verdun would probably fall within a week with barely any fight. Then Petain took over and turned out to be a lot better in managing his troops than Germans - he rotated them so frequently that out of 330 French infantry regiments 259 served at Verdun at some point between 1916 and 1917. As a result, the French were fairly well rested, supplied and generally in good shape, while their enemies rotated out of the battle far less frequently.

It can also be argued that once the French defence solidified the Germans should have just cut their losses and stopped assaulting the heavily fortified region instead of drumming it up in the newspapers as an imminent triumph, but that seems to be so heavily par for the course for the entire Western Front in WWI that I can hardly hold it against them.

Also who the hell starts a major campaign in February of all months? That's just begging for general winter to come in and wreck your troops morale/logistics.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
France in winter really isn't too bad. February is almost spring already, which gives you summer and autumn to exploit any gains you make.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Was there a clearly identifiable mistake in the German plan for Verdun? Wrong place, wrong objective, didn't pull out in time, wrong tactics, bad generalship?

What I've read about it tends to come down to a narration of what it was, how it turned out and maybe the controversy of whether Falkenhayn was covering his rear end by claiming it really was intended to be an attritional battle after the fact. What could have been done better?

I've always thought that the strategy at Verdun was one of the more brilliant and forward-thinking plans of WWI, in that it was arguably the first plan that realized fully what that conflict was and was not.

I think that the major mistake by the Germans was underestimating French artillery, particularly their counter-fire. They had decent reasons for their intelligence estimates: French artillery performance throughout the war to that point had been pretty terrible. I'm honestly not sure what changed with regard to the French counter-fire tactics but that was pretty much the decisive thing in the battle if you want to choose one single element.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Fangz posted:

France in winter really isn't too bad. February is almost spring already, which gives you summer and autumn to exploit any gains you make.

True, but as winter gives way to spring it does tend to leave an unwelcome gift behind.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

We can get the new OP up whenever everyone wants, 400 is just a satisfyingly round number.

Yeah but 369! Get it? Get it?!

Cool, let me check it over when you're done and then I think that'll be it, since there's nothing else I want to add. Anyone else?

What's the thread title gonna be?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Farecoal posted:

Yeah but 369! Get it? Get it?!
:geno:

quote:

What's the thread title gonna be?
No idea, none of us could come up with a suitably dumb joke. I'm partial to "Military History Thread Part 2: The Revenge Of The Son Of Gay Black Hitler," but eh.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
What forum will you guys post it in? I would have said GBS before but um not now. D&D? I kind of feel like it should be out of this one for reasons I cannot explain.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

:geno:

No idea, none of us could come up with a suitably dumb joke. I'm partial to "Military History Thread Part 2: The Revenge Of The Son Of Gay Black Hitler," but eh.

Military History Part 2: What if Wojtek nuked Germany with Tank Destroyers?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bewbies posted:

What forum will you guys post it in? I would have said GBS before but um not now. D&D? I kind of feel like it should be out of this one for reasons I cannot explain.

I think this one, since it's basically a continuation of this thread, just not 300-some pages long anymore and therefore off-putting to people who would otherwise post. I mean, I didn't want SilverSliver to get rid of this thread, but its length is apparently scaring off new people and I want as many people in here as possible :justpost:ing.

D&D's full of sexists and Stalin apologists, anyway.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

bewbies posted:

I would just keep it here. All I can imagine happening in D&D is talking about the atomic bombs ad nauseum.

D&D's full of sexists and Stalin apologists, anyway.

The American politics threads (like the GOP rebuilding one) are really fascinating, as is the politically-loaded maps one, unlike the who-loves-Stalin-more threads

Ensign Expendable posted:

Military History Part 2: What if Wojtek nuked Germany with Tank Destroyers?

Military History Part 2: Please tell us more about how Germany could have won

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 10, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bewbies posted:

I would have said GBS before but um not now.
I posted about my visit to Festung Dresden in :nitecrew: and it was quite well received.

Farecoal posted:

The American politics threads (like the GOP rebuilding one) are really fascinating, as is the politically-loaded maps one, unlike the who-loves-Stalin-more threads
And those are the threads I read. But I'm still mad at them for the "Let's harness MRAs for the Left" thread. :barf:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Farecoal posted:

Military History Part 2: Please tell us more about how Germany could have won

Unfortunately the OP will scare people off of posting that sort of stuff :downs:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Posting it in D&D will just lead to more dudes like General China, take that as you will.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
This thread gets a lot of readers and posters who would be run out of D&D. I wouldn't mind if it was put in SAL, since we are occasionally dipping into historiography, but I honestly think it is fine here.

D&D would be endless discussions how America was the biggest war criminal and the British colonial empire was only slightly less bad than the holocaust.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Well Mud isn't always a bad thing depending on the era of military history, the Coalition armies at Waterloo we pretty drat thankful it rained the night before and decreased some of the lethality of Napoleons batteries.

Of course, at the same time their own cannons decreased in usefulness. Oh.

gently caress you Mud.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

I wouldn't mind if it was put in SAL, since we are occasionally dipping into historiography...
There's like 25 people in there.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Military History Thread 2: Shut up about the loving bear

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Military History Thread 2: I Am A Modern Major Model of a Goon Armchair General.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Military History Thread 2: Come For The World War 2 Chat, Stay For The Fashion Tips

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Military History Thread 2: I'm beary disappointed with tank destroyers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Military History Thread 2: Tank Destroyer Apologists

I support keeping it in A/T - if only because tracking it down in A/T exposed me to all the rest of the useful threads here. I owe my :yotj: to this subforum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Military History Thread 2: Hitler's tank destroyers flanked Napoleon at Verdun

Edit: Definitely A/T. I can't believe D&D was actually mentioned.

• Locked thread