Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Kilometers Davis posted:

Vague question incoming, is there anything I can do with say, a boss mt-2 or wah mod wise without anything other than an iron? I want to mess around with pedals today but I don't have any components or anything around.

With some risk to the circuit, you could try some circuit bends by way of soldering in some jumpers to short across and bypass circuit stages, or in the case of the MT-2, you could edit out say, some clipping resistors or some feedback filtering components to change the character of the distortion. Looking at the MT-2 schematic [Will post it at the end], I'd be tempted to screw around with removing one or both of D003 or D004 first to see how it sounds assymetric or with that entire clipping stage removed. In lieu of having actual components on hand, you could also look into swapping caps around so long as the type, polarities and voltage ranges are observed, but that could get a little whacky or horribad depending on how you do it. It'll take a little thought and experimentation, but it can be done. Good luck!

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s/boss-mt2-metal-zone.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Agrinja posted:

With some risk to the circuit, you could try some circuit bends by way of soldering in some jumpers to short across and bypass circuit stages, or in the case of the MT-2, you could edit out say, some clipping resistors or some feedback filtering components to change the character of the distortion. Looking at the MT-2 schematic [Will post it at the end], I'd be tempted to screw around with removing one or both of D003 or D004 first to see how it sounds assymetric or with that entire clipping stage removed. In lieu of having actual components on hand, you could also look into swapping caps around so long as the type, polarities and voltage ranges are observed, but that could get a little whacky or horribad depending on how you do it. It'll take a little thought and experimentation, but it can be done. Good luck!

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s/boss-mt2-metal-zone.php

Works for me, I think I'll gently caress around with that pedal a bit. I hate it so if I ruin the entire thing I don't really care. Just wanna tinker and keep getting better at solder work. Thanks for the link :)

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
I've been watching this thread forever and want to thank everyone that recommended the NYXLs. I finally picked some up and holy crap! I like them so much, I actually gave a set to a buddy to try. Honestly, I only did it because I ordered 3 sets off Amazon and they sent me 2 sets and a pack of 5. As someone who *constantly* breaks strings, I actually tried on these and couldn't. I went up to a 2mm pick and wailed like I was trying to get Townshend's attention for an hour and not only are they still intact, they stayed (mostly) in tune. Will be buying again.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
String stringy string string.

So did the pot swaps on the Strat this weekend and while I had it tore apart I decided to test drive some GHS boomers. I mean, hey.. Gilmour is a bit of a hero, and I do have a Strat, so why not?

I hate 'em. It's this weird mutey mid-forward bizzaro thing. They are suuuuper creamy in the upper register and if you sit and noodle Dorian up there it sounds period-correct Gilmour, but it just sounds craptastic. Maybe if I had his rather legendary processing. I dunno.

Back to D'Addario tonight!

Upside: 500k pots and a .022 uf orange drop on the Dimarzio Area's and Tone Zone S is a winner. Neck and Middle have crazy sheen once again and the bucker found its upper-mid groove. Night and day difference on that bridge bucker. I'm almost tempted to go back in and un-wire the coil tap now. It's just smooth as hell with the bigger pot.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I got a dumb, niche as gently caress science question: should I trust this data sheet from JJ Electronics that their 6V6S will work in an amp that had 6V6GTA tubes?

http://www.jj-electronic.com/pdf/6V6.pdf

The amp is self biasing and even has the words "plug and play" all over the place in the manual and spec sheets. I just hope it doesn't put out too much power and cause some annoying damage down the signal path.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Probably?? What amp is it?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

Probably?? What amp is it?

Egnater tweaker 112 (15w combo).

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

wunderdog posted:

I've been watching this thread forever and want to thank everyone that recommended the NYXLs. I finally picked some up and holy crap! I like them so much, I actually gave a set to a buddy to try. Honestly, I only did it because I ordered 3 sets off Amazon and they sent me 2 sets and a pack of 5. As someone who *constantly* breaks strings, I actually tried on these and couldn't. I went up to a 2mm pick and wailed like I was trying to get Townshend's attention for an hour and not only are they still intact, they stayed (mostly) in tune. Will be buying again.

You're welcome.

People complain about the price tag before realizing these strings not only sound bright until they're caked with your disgusting finger sweat-juice, but they won't snap even if you bend almost across the board.

They are the best strings I've ever used.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

OhDearGodNo posted:

You're welcome.

People complain about the price tag before realizing these strings not only sound bright until they're caked with your disgusting finger sweat-juice, but they won't snap even if you bend almost across the board.

They are the best strings I've ever used.
They also clean up really well after they've been caked with finger crud, I've had the same set for six months and they still sound fresher and brighter after a cleaning than a new set of Ernie Ball's I tossed on my beater guitar last week.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

I got a dumb, niche as gently caress science question: should I trust this data sheet from JJ Electronics that their 6V6S will work in an amp that had 6V6GTA tubes?

http://www.jj-electronic.com/pdf/6V6.pdf

The amp is self biasing and even has the words "plug and play" all over the place in the manual and spec sheets. I just hope it doesn't put out too much power and cause some annoying damage down the signal path.

I just looked around and it seems cool to me. It seems like you can throw pretty much anything in it right away. Is that the amp's gimmick or something?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Coolest thing about the nyxls is the voice of the plain g. It's very balanced sounding and doesn't have that awful weirdness that most non wound gs have. I have no idea how they achieve that but it's definitely a thing. Sounds better with chords than most as well.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

I just looked around and it seems cool to me. It seems like you can throw pretty much anything in it right away. Is that the amp's gimmick or something?

That's what I thought. According to a cursory search that amp uses 6v6GTAs which apparently are just a slightly higher power 6v6GT and the 6v6s seems to just be yet another higher power GTA. Thanks old rear end electronic companies for having all your datasheets online, this is exactly as annoying as buying any other discrete electronic components.

The gimmick of the amp seems to be a 3 way toggle that switches tone circuits from marshal/vox/fender (I believe) and some other toggle switches that just don't work at high gain (but they have some cool sound choices when clean). It's not the greatest amp but I really like it and have beat the gently caress out of it over the past two years.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 7, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that sounds pretty cool for loving around with. i wish i could have a better clean channel on my amp at the flick of a switch

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's confusing because it just says "BRIT/AC/USA" on the switch so that's just me guessing from what they sound like and there's drastic differences between them. For the price I'd suggest a super champ or something instead but I really just wanted to get something different.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
oh yeah at that price range, and from what i've got right now i'd just buy a fender combo, but it still sounds cool and fun.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Something happened at the guitar store yesterday that I didn't expect. I took time to finally play an Epiphone Sheraton II, and I was blown away. I had heard they were nice, but semi-hollows weren't on my radar as something I cared about until I played it. It isn't prohibitively expensive at $600, but it also isn't something that I would use that often. Is their a hive consensus on 335/Sheraton clones? A few quick google searches tells me that Sheratons, Artcores, Washburns, and Dots all run in pretty similar price brackets on the used market ($400, give or take, from what I'm seeing). Then there are some clones that come new in the same price range (the Agile offering at $400) and some that are cheaper (the Xaviere at Guitarfetish at just under $300), but the used market is small enough as to be nonexistent. Should I just be patient for a deep discount used Sheraton?

I would only be interested in anything that had the same neck profile as the Sheraton, so if anyone can jump start my research by scratching some of these options off my list from that regard, it would be appreciated. I already have a baseball bat neck on my Tele.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
China is just really on the ball lately making good guitars. Or you could have played an older Korean/Peerless made one, which would still be around that price used. Those Sheratons are really solid guitars. The only latest Epiphone I really had a bad taste for was the Riviera P93. The bridge pups on the few I tried had a nasty shim under them them bring them up closer to the strings. Really screwed with the aesthetics. But this was first run and I hear they've fixed it.

I prefer the older Rivieras as well since they had the mini hums and trapeze on em but a blinged out Sheraton is cool too.

Speaking of Chinese made guitars. Squier is up to something cool again.

http://www.fender.com/squier/guitars/telecaster/squier-vintage-modified-72-tele-thinline-maple-fingerboard-natural/

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thinking about grabbing one of those vm jaguars in surf green, anyone tried 'em? I loving love these chinese squiers and it would be a nice addition to my collection.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thinking about grabbing one of those vm jaguars in surf green, anyone tried 'em? I loving love these chinese squiers and it would be a nice addition to my collection.

You'll probably want to get a new bridge and electronics.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Indonesia, actually :science:

But I have the equivalent series Jazzmaster and apart from the flimsy bridge and somewhat glossy neck, VM series seems pretty drat good for the money.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

For gently caress's sake, the Fender reissue of that thinline was what I went into the store for some years ago, when I instead came out with my current weirdass Squier tele. I may have to consider obtaining it when I am re-employed.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Kilometers Davis posted:

own it, love it. Replace the bridge with this: http://www.warmoth.com/Modified-Mustang-Bridge-Chrome-P616C716.aspx

and put in whatever pups you want. go hog wild.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
You don't have to change the bridge. A shim, 12's, and loctite on the screws (and turning the bridge around so your strings don't hit the screws and all is fine. Might need a slight file to the low e if you're a more aggresive player (like me).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'd rather just go for a bridge honestly. Sounds rad though, I'll probably order one once I get money and Sweetwater gets some in.

Are they by any chance comparable to the Mascis Jazzmaster stock in terms of quality? That guitar is incredible, the more I play it the harder it is to feel at home on most of my other guitars. I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I honestly, genuinely feel like the modern cheap squiers are my favorite guitars ever. I'm not even someone who cares about getting the best deals, there's just something about them. I can't praise Fender enough for putting this kind of instrument out there instead of the poo poo that used to be around 10 years ago.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I've owned both a VM Jag and a JMJM, so I'd say "The one I had was great". In fact, after I finished all the tweaky setup stuff it played terrifically, better than the not-tweaked AVRI '62 Jag I had briefly than flipped. Just not into shortscale currently. JMJM is a terrific guitar as well, came with a nice setup and high build quality , but isn't as acoustically lively as I'd like and I'm starting to be not really into the pickups, so I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Jeez dude why are replacement speakers so expensive? I just want to modify an old combo amp by removing the amp part, putting in a power conditioner in that space, replace the old speakers and wire in speaker jacks on the back so I can plug heads into it. So really just making it a cab with a single slot rack. But it's way cheaper to just buy a beat up cab and any lovely rack.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Spanish Manlove posted:

Jeez dude why are replacement speakers so expensive? I just want to modify an old combo amp by removing the amp part, putting in a power conditioner in that space, replace the old speakers and wire in speaker jacks on the back so I can plug heads into it. So really just making it a cab with a single slot rack. But it's way cheaper to just buy a beat up cab and any lovely rack.

have you checked out warehouse guitar speakers? cheapish and very nice speakers

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
My AMS debts are paid off and I'm trying not to get that TVL Jazzmaster.

The tiny rear end old school neck radius is helping me so far.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

My AMS debts are paid off and I'm trying not to get that TVL Jazzmaster.
7.5" sux 9" and medium jumbo is objectively better (if you have weird bulgy fingers like me).

But hellya lovely guitar. Note there's a similar Surf Green MIM jazzy coming out for 2015.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Smash it Smash hit posted:

have you checked out warehouse guitar speakers? cheapish and very nice speakers

They're still $75 a piece. Oh well, I'll replace them later in the project then.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

I just bought a Peterson strobo tuner from Amazon - this one

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=168

I can't get the hang of it - the note detection seems off, so it will cycle very fast between bunch of different pitches when I'm trying to tune (I'm using it on a classical guitar). Does anyone use this kind of tuner and have any advice? I have it on the basic acoustic guitar setting.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well general tuner advice is to mute every string but the one you're playing, pluck the string with the pad of your thumb, and maybe do it over the 12th fret. The idea is to dampen all the harmonics and make the fundamental note stronger, so the tuner can latch onto that.

Just in case... when you say it cycles fast, you're not talking about the actual strobing, right? They're meant to constantly move at different speeds until you're in tune, which is when they line up (like when a car wheel seems to stop moving)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Whenever I'm tuning I usually play the string open, with the same type of pick I normally use, and with about the same strength as I would normally use while playing because I'm incredibly autistic and want poo poo calibrated to how I normally play.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

They're still $75 a piece. Oh well, I'll replace them later in the project then.

The Jensen MOD series are pretty good and a little bit cheaper than WGS.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Well general tuner advice is to mute every string but the one you're playing, pluck the string with the pad of your thumb, and maybe do it over the 12th fret. The idea is to dampen all the harmonics and make the fundamental note stronger, so the tuner can latch onto that.

Just in case... when you say it cycles fast, you're not talking about the actual strobing, right? They're meant to constantly move at different speeds until you're in tune, which is when they line up (like when a car wheel seems to stop moving)

Yeah, it's not the strobing itself - it's cycling between target pitches, like very quickly between E, A, F etc when I'm trying to tune the E string, for instance. Muting the other strings doesn't help. I'll try changing the battery.

I ordered this tuner because it's supposed to be way more accurate than other clip-ons but the fact that it's impossible to use makes that point kind of moot. I guess I will just have to cover up my slight tuning imperfections with breathtakingly virtuosic playing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

Whenever I'm tuning I usually play the string open, with the same type of pick I normally use, and with about the same strength as I would normally use while playing because I'm incredibly autistic and want poo poo calibrated to how I normally play.

Sometimes autism is practical, like in this case.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Well the 6v6S sounds like total poo poo and is terrible so I ordered some of the exact same tubes that were in the amp before. Learned my lesson this time. Kids, replace things with the exact same component.

Edit: while I was doing this I bought a power conditioner as well since I really wanted one.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I find myself using the polytune app on my iPhone a lot. If you strum all the strings you see which are out of tune right away. It doesn't have a lot of options for alternate tunings though, with just drop tuning option and reference frequency setting.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gilgameshback posted:

Yeah, it's not the strobing itself - it's cycling between target pitches, like very quickly between E, A, F etc when I'm trying to tune the E string, for instance. Muting the other strings doesn't help. I'll try changing the battery.

I ordered this tuner because it's supposed to be way more accurate than other clip-ons but the fact that it's impossible to use makes that point kind of moot. I guess I will just have to cover up my slight tuning imperfections with breathtakingly virtuosic playing.

Did you try the thumb pad / middle of the string trick? It's like rolling off the tone knob on an electric guitar - when you pluck a string you get the fundamental note (which you want the tuner to measure) and then a collection of other harmonic notes on top of that, which is what gives the instrument its tone. If your tuner is hearing all kinds of stuff, it might be getting confused by those harmonics, which is why damping them can help

Also I didn't see if it reads from a mic or vibrations, but you might want to adjust the clamping position too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Gilgameshback posted:

I just bought a Peterson strobo tuner from Amazon - this one

I can't get the hang of it - the note detection seems off, so it will cycle very fast between bunch of different pitches when I'm trying to tune (I'm using it on a classical guitar). Does anyone use this kind of tuner and have any advice? I have it on the basic acoustic guitar setting.

I have one of these, picked it up for intonation and similar. Mine tends to like to wig out sometimes like that, especially if I try to pick too near the bridge. Generally it helps to mute the strings and wait a second, then pick closer to the 12th fret, but the waiting a second with the strings damped seems to help the most for me.