Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Took delivery of the Encore last night. This morning was the first morning of press butan receive coffee (grounds). First morning of a glorious new era. :coffeepal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

silvergoose posted:

Bodum bistro burr grinder? There's a deal on it, but I dunno if it's actually any good.

build quality is a bit soft and plasticky, and mine's got the awful habit of leaving grounds stuck just under the grinder, but it was cheap and it's perfectly decent for pour-over and moka pot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

oscarthewilde posted:

build quality is a bit soft and plasticky, and mine's got the awful habit of leaving grounds stuck just under the grinder, but it was cheap and it's perfectly decent for pour-over and moka pot.

Hmmmm.

I'm still using my trusty skerton pro and don't mind it, just don't know if I want to get a cheap but only okay electric if it's not great.

thrust fault
Nov 3, 2004
ok

hypnophant posted:

I’m not sure what the gaggia comes with, but if you have a double basket (14-18g), those are usually considered a bit more forgiving than singles. You can also buy precision baskets in a range of sizes from ims or vst, which do make a difference. Unfortunately the sette 30 is not going to make things easy for you, as although it’s sometimes marketed as an espresso grinder it doesn’t allow you to adjust fine enough to properly dial in your shots. You could trying splitting the difference; grind half your dose at the setting that chokes, half at the next setting up, and see if that works.

Thanks, tried with the double basket this morning. 20g coffee in the basket, 40g out in 29 seconds. Was excellent. Room for improvement but definitely noticed a difference.

Only problem now is the double basket means half as many coffees each day :(

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thrust fault posted:

Thanks, tried with the double basket this morning. 20g coffee in the basket, 40g out in 29 seconds. Was excellent. Room for improvement but definitely noticed a difference.

Only problem now is the double basket means half as many coffees each day :(

The truncated single shot baskets that come with a bunch of espresso machines are really bad. The idea is good but in practice you end up with a basket with different bed depths, and that causes water flow to be uneven throughout the puck leading to weird tasting coffee. If you're looking for a decent single shot basket i'd recommend what the IMS/VST baskets that OP mentioned.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

Hmmmm.

I'm still using my trusty skerton pro and don't mind it, just don't know if I want to get a cheap but only okay electric if it's not great.

Is it the one with the glass or the plastic grounds catcher? I had / have the former and it works very well for the price, decent consistency. I stuck with mine for about a year or so before deciding to upgrade but if you're not doing espresso it's a decent investment and will save some RSI making morning coffee :v:

Basically you can't get much better at that price point.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

Is it the one with the glass or the plastic grounds catcher? I had / have the former and it works very well for the price, decent consistency. I stuck with mine for about a year or so before deciding to upgrade but if you're not doing espresso it's a decent investment and will save some RSI making morning coffee :v:

Basically you can't get much better at that price point.

I'll see which one and decide based on that. I appreciate the comment!

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

silvergoose posted:

Bodum bistro burr grinder? There's a deal on it, but I dunno if it's actually any good.

How much are we talking? Seattle Coffee Gear has open box Baratza Encores for $111 with free shipping. 'Snice deal.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

feedback loop posted:

How much are we talking? Seattle Coffee Gear has open box Baratza Encores for $111 with free shipping. 'Snice deal.

60 dollars, which seems good for an electric burr grinder, but not if it's awful.

It does sound like it's not bad for that price, I guess?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

silvergoose posted:

60 dollars, which seems good for an electric burr grinder, but not if it's awful.

It does sound like it's not bad for that price, I guess?

Go with the Encore.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

qutius posted:

Go with the Encore.

This. The Baratza has more flexibility than the Bodum if you can swing the cash.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The bodum would be a great deal for the price but mine gave out after 2 years. That was with me cleaning it regularly and not abusing it.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

DangerZoneDelux posted:

The bodum would be a great deal for the price but mine gave out after 2 years. That was with me cleaning it regularly and not abusing it.

In contrast, I've been using my Encore almost daily (definitely weekly when you consider grind activity by volume) for the last four years and it has been doing fine. That's two Bodums!

Honestly if you got 60 bucks to throw at a grinder you might be better off with a hand grinder. A Skerton or Porlex does an okay job? I'd just save up for an Encore with a service lifetime like this.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

aldantefax posted:

In contrast, I've been using my Encore almost daily (definitely weekly when you consider grind activity by volume) for the last four years and it has been doing fine. That's two Bodums!

Honestly if you got 60 bucks to throw at a grinder you might be better off with a hand grinder. A Skerton or Porlex does an okay job? I'd just save up for an Encore with a service lifetime like this.

Yeah I'm already using my trusty, hasn't failed me yet Skerton so I guess I'll just keep pondering electrics until I finally spring for the encore.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fyi you can get refurbished stuff directly from Baratza. It looks like it's $40 cheaper than what it's going for on other websites.

https://www.baratza.com/shop/refurb

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
Oh yeah just get refurbs when they're in stock. Pretty much the best price you can find anywhere, even considering used options.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Virtuoso is $50 off retail. This might be the last generation of good quality before Breville fucks everything up.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mu Zeta posted:

The Virtuoso is $50 off retail. This might be the last generation of good quality before Breville fucks everything up.

Breville bought Baratza!?

Aw gently caress I really hope all the parts are still available. Breville seems to turn all their appliances into poo poo that gets thrown away when it has a problem.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
Pretty much no doubt in my mind that Breville execs are happy with their purchase, given how many more people are brewing at home with COVID. That said, if Baratza gets done dirty, maybe Wilfa will finally get enough demand to start selling grinders in the US :mmmhmm:

feedback loop fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 13, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've always been impressed with the build quality of Breville stuff though

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’ve only had two of their items. One was their smart toaster oven and it died after a year and their customer support wouldn’t honor any warranty. The other is a smoothie/personal blender thing I’ve had a few months-it’s built solid and has good reviews, so I’m hopeful.

I think their stuff looks nice and appears pretty durable, but I like that I can buy every single part on a Baratza grinder and it’s easy to work on. Same thing with my Technivorm.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah, I mean I've had to rebuild the grinder in my barista express a couple times but that's because I was an idiot.

For an integrated machine it's easy enough to take apart and reassemble. 4 years service, limited swearing

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
PSA for anyone reading this thread and thinking we're jerks for recommending a $140 coffee grinder as an entry level thing: James Hoffman, a youtube coffee guy who reviews equipment, has been giving away baratza encores along with his sponsored videos. The latest one went up this morning and includes a link to enter a giveaway from which 5 winners will be selected and sent a new, warrantied grinder straight from baratza. Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjIvN8mlK9Y and the direct link to enter the giveaway which you can also find in the video description on youtube. If you want one of these grinders but it's just too much money right now, give it a shot! A good grinder makes a huge difference to the end product as well as the whole coffee experience, and it would be great if one of these goes to a goon with a little less money to throw around.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Regarding cheap electrical grinders: I just figured out that the Porlex Mini can be attached to a power drill. :science:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

Regarding cheap electrical grinders: I just figured out that the Porlex Mini can be attached to a power drill. :science:

Sounds like a great way to gently caress up your burrs.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
The porlex has ceramic burrs, I don’t know how likely you are to actually overheat them or chip them or whatever. There’s a lot of people trying this on reddit and I haven’t read any outright disaster stories. It’ll probably work best if you aim to keep the drill at low speed.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

When I lived on my boat I chucked a drill on my hand grinder for years, never had an issue. Do run low speed.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I was browsing through the previous Hario cloth filter discussion, but I'm still a little confused about what I can skip to get started. Can I literally just put a 480ml cloth filter into my V60 02 and that's that? Everything else is just for fun?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yeah you're not running the grinder on the drill all the time, it's more of a novelty than a permanent solution. At least for a single cup it doesn't save time anyway, what with having to mount and unmount it every time.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Hoffman’s now pimping the Hario switch but I already have too many brew methods

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
I bought an AeroPress after using a french press for a while and I'm very, very happy with it. Any recipe recommendations for it? I've been doing Hoffmann's almost-espresso method with 18 g beans:90 g water, 1:30 brew time, light stirring at the beginning and end, but I'd love to explore the possibilities.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Postman posted:

I was browsing through the previous Hario cloth filter discussion, but I'm still a little confused about what I can skip to get started. Can I literally just put a 480ml cloth filter into my V60 02 and that's that? Everything else is just for fun?

In Malaysia they literally put the grounds into a sock and pour hot water into it while hold it over a pot.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So Nespresso is doing a Black Friday sale and I don’t know which machine to buy.
They only discounted the “Next” machines and there’s 3 variants: normal, premium and deluxe. The deluxe costs more but it has a stainless steel pourer instead of a plastic one.

The other kind they have is a chrome round head one by Breville and it seems to be the older model.

Which one should I get?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

feedback loop posted:

I bought an AeroPress after using a french press for a while and I'm very, very happy with it. Any recipe recommendations for it? I've been doing Hoffmann's almost-espresso method with 18 g beans:90 g water, 1:30 brew time, light stirring at the beginning and end, but I'd love to explore the possibilities.

My recipe

Inverted
12g beans at Moka pot grind
200ml water ~90° , poured quickly to agitate ( should fill nearly to top)

Put top and filter on
Steep for 40 seconds

Invert (right) onto mug and press firmly, aiming to be done in another 40 seconds, to a total time of 1:20

Enjoy

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

feedback loop posted:

If you want to go down some rabbit holes:

https://aeropress.com/championships/wac-recipes/

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Kraftwerk posted:

So Nespresso is doing a Black Friday sale and I don’t know which machine to buy.
They only discounted the “Next” machines and there’s 3 variants: normal, premium and deluxe. The deluxe costs more but it has a stainless steel pourer instead of a plastic one.

The other kind they have is a chrome round head one by Breville and it seems to be the older model.

Which one should I get?

They all make pretty much the same coffee, just pick the housing you like.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Here's what I've been doing for Aeropress:

Heat water to 95 C and grind 18g beans. Wet filter, add a pinch of kosher salt. Add ~100g water, stir 15 s, then let brew 30s.
Add water to bring up to ~288g total water. Stir 15s, let brew 1m30, then press.

Nothing too fancy there apart from doing a bloom and brew and it works well with the roasts I like.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I speak an endangered language and would love to make a simple french press tutorial in it for the Hoff's call out video

But alas I lack the wherewithal for video production

Tis a shame, but oh well

As for content here is my current daily driver mug

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

Canuck-Errant posted:

Here's what I've been doing for Aeropress:

Heat water to 95 C and grind 18g beans. Wet filter, add a pinch of kosher salt. Add ~100g water, stir 15 s, then let brew 30s.
Add water to bring up to ~288g total water. Stir 15s, let brew 1m30, then press.

Nothing too fancy there apart from doing a bloom and brew and it works well with the roasts I like.

This is regular, not inverted, yeah? Kinda looks like an approximation of a pour-over method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Can we do office brewing chat? I know most people are WFH, but for us losers who still have to go into the cubicle factory, I still want to avoid the lovely coffee there.

My go to has been up until recently using a hario hand grinder and an aeropress, but I'm finding these days that the aeropress just doesn't make enough per batch, so I want to consider getting something else. At home I use a V60 but I think it'd be too inconsistent with our kettle at the office (it's a pretty big spout).

Any other suggestions I should consider? I typically like the more acidic/clear cup that an aeropress and pour over makes, but at the office I'm pretty lazy so I'm looking for the easiest method. I'm guessing if I'm going for the easiest than a simple french press would do the trick, but if I can I prefer a more clear cup.

I remember there being a type of immersion cone cup that was basically a larger plastic V60 where you poured grounds and water into it, and there was a door type mechanism on the bottom that opened when it was pressed down on the cup, so you would pour, do a 3-4min immersion, then extract into the cup. I can't seem to find it online or remember what it was called, anyone remember this one?