Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Elentor posted:

"What about... laws of physics?" is a great line that is just perfect for this comic.

Best line in the past 2 chapters easily.

Followed by "I don't think we were supposed to see this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I see Atomic Samurai subscribes to the Goku school of thought. What do when facing bullets too fast to slash? Move even faster!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

golden bubble posted:

I see Atomic Samurai subscribes to the Goku school of thought. What do when facing bullets too fast to slash? Move even faster!

And then in the next chapter he wonders what happened to the laws of physics.
Well maybe you shouldn't have broken them first! :colbert:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elentor posted:

"What about... laws of physics?" is a great line that is just perfect for this comic.

Do not fail your SAN roll when Pig God is around.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like Sweet Mask's uggo face whenever he gets serious. Still argubaly more heroic than Metal Knight because at least Sweet Mask will show up

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Wow, latest chapter... was it a first?

I think those people were the first arguably good humans to die in the comic? In the past good/brainwashed folks were shown to be hurt, then appear in the hospital later. Looking at those wounds though... drat sweet mask!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Expect My Mom posted:

I like Sweet Mask's uggo face whenever he gets serious.
I like how his whole deal is right there in his name.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Donkringel posted:

Wow, latest chapter... was it a first?

I think those people were the first arguably good humans to die in the comic? In the past good/brainwashed folks were shown to be hurt, then appear in the hospital later. Looking at those wounds though... drat sweet mask!

The first to die on panel, as far as I'm aware, if you don't count the petty thugs that Sonic massacred in his first appearance. Plenty have died in the comic so far when a giant man fell on City B or when City A was annihilated by a space ship.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Elentor posted:

Says the guy who can move faster than a bullet.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Sweet Mask does not gently caress around, Christ :stare:

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Sweat mask seems to exist to imply something about powerful organizations and the type of people they attract. Cause it seems like he's just some fascist rear end in a top hat who cynicaly wants power and authority to do as he pleases.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

Says the guy who can move faster than a bullet.

It's definitely something I'd consider for thread title though, it's just perfect.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
You know, I really thought Sweet Mask wanted to be alone so he could take off his mask. Instead they had Super S take of her mask just to mess with me.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Maxwell Adams posted:

You know, I really thought Sweet Mask wanted to be alone so he could take off his mask. Instead they had Super S take of her mask just to mess with me.

He did take off his mask, it's just he wears a figurative not literal one.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Sweat mask seems to exist to imply something about powerful organizations and the type of people they attract. Cause it seems like he's just some fascist rear end in a top hat who cynicaly wants power and authority to do as he pleases.

i mean i'm not sure you're totally wrong but i'm betting some bad poo poo happened to him in the past

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
We'd just be guessing at his background, but it fits with his outburst post-Boros. He really hates heroes who fail spectacularly.

Since the monster's power worked off pain, and Mask was immune to it, can we infer that he doesn't feel pain? It seems like his power does put a lot of strain on his body.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Can Pig God eat Sweet Mask and how would he taste?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Salty.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordecai posted:

We'd just be guessing at his background, but it fits with his outburst post-Boros. He really hates heroes who fail spectacularly.

Since the monster's power worked off pain, and Mask was immune to it, can we infer that he doesn't feel pain? It seems like his power does put a lot of strain on his body.

I don't think we'll ever get an explanation for this but I think Sweet Mask's power is just to be "super powerful" in the most generic sense. Also to connect with the previous talk about willpower, Sweet Mask is one of the most, if not the single most committed-to-his-cause hero in the association*, I bet for plot purpose's none of this mind control would work on Watchdog Man either if he's protecting his turf. He believes he has to be the face of the organization, that every hero should be graceful, heroic, and able to defeat any villain with no excuses. Going by shounen standards and how the plot in OPM works I'd just say that he knew she could never manipulate him because his ego is too big and his hatred for monsters even bigger. It's all there in the chapter - Murata is drawing one of the most oversexualized monsters since mosquito girl, her entire power is to make other heroes slaves, and Sweet Mask simply looks at her and call her a hideous monster and murders everyone on spot.

It's just a case of run-of-the-mill shounen willpower.

* Yeah I know Mumen Rider etc.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think she ever gave him a direct lashing either. he caught her whip, maybe it takes more than that for her mind control stuff to work?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i don't think she ever gave him a direct lashing either. he caught her whip, maybe it takes more than that for her mind control stuff to work?

This is what I'm going off of too. All the mercenaries don't have helmets, Sweet Mask has gloves and considering what the capability of the Hero Association's weaponsmithing abilities are I just assumed they were good gloves.

Also there's the standard explanation of 'Too strong to work on him' Like that Psychic alien trying to crush Saitama.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe sweet mask just doesn't feel anything, period. Could just be a super sociopath.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I want sweet mask to be a pest exterminator who got too carried away with his work.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I'm going with hxh mind control rules. can't mind control someone already mind controlled.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

We already saw willpower let Fubuki fight off mind control. No reason to add extra explanations when "Sweet Mask is really dedicated to being an rear end in a top hat" covers it well enough for the moment.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

That was a good chapter, sweet mask is cool

Did anyone else get serious devilman crybaby vibes when seeing pig god swallow that monster whole?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Shinjobi posted:

Maybe sweet mask just doesn't feel anything, period. Could just be a super sociopath.

that's where my money is, personally. he clearly has issues

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It’s simply another case of “Who is the real monster here?”

Edit: the monster is Sweet Mask.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

That's my thought. Hee hypnosis needs pain but I'd be willing to bet she needs to hit past someone's guard. Alternatively. Extremely focused people can probably negate it all together

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Billzasilver posted:

That made me think of Ophelia from Claymore.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Billzasilver posted:

I am onboard the “sweet mask is/was a monster” train. He didn’t want other hero’s see him Hulk out because maybe he is a monster that they would recognize, and also because he killed the gently caress out of those humans who were enthralled, because he is a monster.
He clearly had no trouble killing the mistress controlling her thralls, so I would like to think he had the ability to free them instead of killing them.
Maybe he is a monster who is undercover or maybe he is reformed and has trouble keeping his mask on when he has to fight something strong.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Sweet Mask at least seems to present rage when confronted by monsters, whether that’s an act too is maybe up in the air. For now I’m on the “fascist rear end in a top hat who will kill anything monsterous no matter what, gently caress you my plan is the best” train.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
starting the Sweet Mask Did Nothing Wrong movement

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sweet Mask brutally eviscerated those mercs because it was the only way to save their souls.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

They were weak and useless and that makes them ugly. Beauty is power

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Terror Sweat posted:

They were weak and useless and that makes them ugly. Beauty is power

Isn’t this a monster slogan?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
if sweet mask killed them, they must've deserved it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

rage-saq posted:

I am onboard the “sweet mask is/was a monster” train. He didn’t want other hero’s see him Hulk out because maybe he is a monster that they would recognize, and also because he killed the gently caress out of those humans who were enthralled, because he is a monster.
He clearly had no trouble killing the mistress controlling her thralls, so I would like to think he had the ability to free them instead of killing them.
Maybe he is a monster who is undercover or maybe he is reformed and has trouble keeping his mask on when he has to fight something strong.

hulk out? he did nothing of the sort. the only difference from his public persona was his actions, not his appearance.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
he buldges and gets vascular and probably doesn't want people to see that because it ruins his ikemen image, not because They'll Recognize He's Secretly A Monster what the hell. he's just a zarbon who hates that his true power makes him uglier

sweet mask's personality is an open secret among the people at his level. like no one seems to really like him, but they still wouldn't condone him needlessly murdering people, it's just easier for him if they leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I appreciate how genuine Sweet Mask is about his standards for heroing.