Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I just finished pain creek killing and lol the ending Sequence is so janky and contrived with really silly animation, whatever subtle horror had in the story is thrown out in favour of melodrama and incredibly stupid motives and somehow the ghost out of nowhere is the least silly of the whole story . It's a pity because I was really into it until I realised the murderer's identity

Yeah the ending didn't sit well with me too. I get that it was trying to do the foregone conclusion to all the tension it set up, but the chase was way too long. it overstayed it's welcome and shock facture was gone pretty quickly. I think it would have been better if the chase had only happened in the church; or if you saw the message, immediately went to the car and just saw the dude when driving away.

That said I had genuine fun playing this game and it did get a rise out of me at various parts due to the whole emptiness of the town. The atmosphere was great. the hospital level did scare me . I liked the little non linearity it provided in terms of some of the plot twists I only went to the graveyard after I explored the mansion 3 times, had acess to the cabin, had explored all of Ann inn etc. So the fact that all those people were dead really did come as a shock. The mystery and people involved weren't too bad too, not mind blowing, but I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Meallan posted:

Yeah the ending didn't sit well with me too. I get that it was trying to do the foregone conclusion to all the tension it set up, but the chase was way too long. it overstayed it's welcome and shock facture was gone pretty quickly. I think it would have been better if the chase had only happened in the church; or if you saw the message, immediately went to the car and just saw the dude when driving away.

That said I had genuine fun playing this game and it did get a rise out of me at various parts due to the whole emptiness of the town. The atmosphere was great. the hospital level did scare me . I liked the little non linearity it provided in terms of some of the plot twists I only went to the graveyard after I explored the mansion 3 times, had acess to the cabin, had explored all of Ann inn etc. So the fact that all those people were dead really did come as a shock. The mystery and people involved weren't too bad too, not mind blowing, but I liked it.

The cemetery hit me pretty well, since it's one of the first places you have access to from the beginning of the game but I didn't go to it until after checking out the mansion and church and getting to see the names of the major players. You show up and start entering the gate code and the gate just swings open, because someone's already gotten here first. And then you start looking through the headstones and it turns out that you're solving a hell of a lot more than one murder.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

shits.ridic posted:

Hey does anyone here own Alone in The Dark, 2008 version and have found it actually playable? (Whether it's a lovely game or not is another matter.)

I have it for PS2 and tried to play recently. This is the most broken game I've ever played on a console. I see it's also available for PS3 and 360. I would like to try this game again but only if those versions aren't also broken. At least they could be patched, r-right? What say you goons

Like the other dude said get the ps3 edition. It's technically the latest edition (I think it's even called inferno as a separate name) and it's the most competent edition.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Are there any decent spook 'em ups on the Switch yet? Layers of Fear is the only one I can think of offhand but I've already played it

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Have you tried...Nintendo's price gouging??????!?!?!

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Little nightmares and outlast are out on the switch as well.

chitoryu12 posted:

Painscreek talk

Yeah the cemetery hit me too. I got goosebumps at the "somebody was already here". It was such a simple and effective scare. And those fresh flowers at the grave... that level and the hospital were honestly great and a testament to how great the atmosphere was in that game to still make me doubt for my safety. I think the game is well worth the price no matter how controversial the ending is gonna be for some.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 16, 2018

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'm trying to find a game made by Eastern European devs that's supposed to be about a village that was consumed by sickness. It was supposed to be wordy but satisfyingly depressing. I think there were issues getting it translated and the studio eventually folded. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

HIJK posted:

I'm trying to find a game made by Eastern European devs that's supposed to be about a village that was consumed by sickness. It was supposed to be wordy but satisfyingly depressing. I think there were issues getting it translated and the studio eventually folded. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Pathologic?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Blockhouse posted:

Pathologic?

that sounds right, thanks!

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

That all sounds like Pathologic other than the studio folding bit; they put out several other games (including the excellent The Void) and they're currently working on Pathologic 2.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I played some more Painscreek Killings and I'm getting a bit frustrated. The game world is far, far too large for the content and is filled with red herrings. There's dozens of locked cabinets and doors that are never meant to be opened according to my efforts to find hints as to the next step and not every key you get has a label for what it is. If you find a mansion key without a note, the only way to figure out what it opens is to try every single locked door in the mansion until you find the one it fits in.

Also the loading times are unusually long. The game runs perfectly at or slightly below 60 FPS at the best graphics setting, but even on the lowest setting it's taking upwards of 30 seconds to load every area transition.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

I read that you would need to put up IRL corkboards with pictures and notes connected by string to actually be able to solve The Painscreek Killings.

Which sounds like fun on certain days but I could see it being very frustrating.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

friendly 2 da void posted:

I read that you would need to put up IRL corkboards with pictures and notes connected by string to actually be able to solve The Painscreek Killings.

Which sounds like fun on certain days but I could see it being very frustrating.

I don't know about that, but the game does advise you to use the in-game camera to take photos of any notes and items you can't take with you and write down notes in the real world to keep track of things. Only certain notes that you find are automatically saved in the inventory, so you need to take pictures of everything else to create an archive of info.

The game also doesn't tell you that you can use your camera while viewing an item you've picked up. I just tried it to see if it would work and it did, which let me carry a picture of something written on the bottom of an item over to where the code was needed.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

shits.ridic posted:

Hey does anyone here own Alone in The Dark, 2008 version and have found it actually playable? (Whether it's a lovely game or not is another matter.)

I have it for PS2 and tried to play recently. This is the most broken game I've ever played on a console. I see it's also available for PS3 and 360. I would like to try this game again but only if those versions aren't also broken. At least they could be patched, r-right? What say you goons

Ineffiable posted:

Like the other dude said get the ps3 edition. It's technically the latest edition (I think it's even called inferno as a separate name) and it's the most competent edition.

The PS3 version is still pretty rough around the edges but it's the most playable. I don't regret playing it but I got it really cheap.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Get the soundtrack to that Alone in the Dark. I dont care if you've ever even played it listen to it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wamdoodle posted:

The PS3 version is still pretty rough around the edges but it's the most playable. I don't regret playing it but I got it really cheap.

Wasn't the PS3 vetsin an 'enhanced' one that came out later than the others? I only played the 360 version and somehow played it enough to get all the achievements.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

friendly 2 da void posted:

You really do not and in fact it goes so in the opposite direction that in the end there is really NO doubt who did what.

You should take notes though because 1) puzzle solving (which I guess is fair) and 2) there's a big cast of people involved/mentioned in the case and no in game biographies (which is less fair but it was the selling point of the game I guess)
It's completely possible though to just make the normal note taking one does for puzzle solving games and keep it at that if you have a good memory for names and such. And even if you do not they get repeated often enough for it to settle in.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sakurazuka posted:

Wasn't the PS3 vetsin an 'enhanced' one that came out later than the others? I only played the 360 version and somehow played it enough to get all the achievements.

It is, which is why it plays better. It has more content too if I remember right.

But they improved a few things about the game as well. No idea why it didn't get patched back to the other editions.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ineffiable posted:

It is, which is why it plays better. It has more content too if I remember right.

But they improved a few things about the game as well. No idea why it didn't get patched back to the other editions.

They promised they would patch that stuff into the PC version, but it never happened and IIRC if you brought it up on the Atari forums your posts were removed.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hel posted:

They promised they would patch that stuff into the PC version, but it never happened and IIRC if you brought it up on the Atari forums your posts were removed.

And then they salted the earth and shut down their Alone in the Dark forums shortly thereafter.

Seriously, gently caress Atari.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Improbable Lobster posted:

Are there any decent spook 'em ups on the Switch yet? Layers of Fear is the only one I can think of offhand but I've already played it

Detention is on there too I think, a good spooky adventure

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Supposedly Hollow is a horror game on the Switch, not sure if it's good.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I will say that with Windows 10, the PC version of Alone in the Dark 2008 was a lot more playable....in so much that you could change video settings without the game crashing and the game not defaulting to the lowest possible resolution and quality settings otherwise.

The odd thing to me was that Alone in the Dark 2008 was functionally a very stable game as long as you played it the way they intended; there seems to have been one method verified as working internally for their dev team and that was enough for them to sign off on it as working. The issue with that is that the game did have a number of possible approaches to things and it's when a player tries to do something different or slightly off the rails that things go tits up.

Like there's a 'puzzle' that's pretty far into the game; you're faced with a gate and the switch for the gate is blocked by this egg that will keep spawning out a singular, small enemy that patrols back and forth between a set location and back to the egg. Now what I've seen most people do in videos, and what I did myself, was to set up a sticky molotov to the patrolling enemy and try to time it out so that the molotov blows up at a certain time (cause there are so many dumb mechanics in the game like how bottles of explosive liquids have differing sets of liquid that change the timer on the bottle, or how there's two different types of wick you can put into the bottle to change how long it takes to blow up, etc etc) but in reality that's not the way they really intended you to do it cause that method is pretty strict with it's timing. Instead there's a shot in the opening cinematic for the game that shows what I think was the intended and much easier method to do the section. Basically there's a mechanic in the game where you can use a knife to stab a hole in a bottle and it'll make a path of flammable liquid trail; so no timing specific nonsense and there's plenty of supplies nearby to do that specific setup....but there's no real reason to do it any other time in the game. It's one of too many mechanics that's mentioned, forgotten, and will possibly bug out other situations; what I'm trying to say is that it's an alright game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

alone in the dark 2008 actually had a lot of really fascinating and interlinked systems going on in how it handled item use and the like and the way flames were rendered is still like one of the best i've ever seen in a videogame, but it's a shame that the rest was kind of a muddled mess

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I remember that puzzle! Making fluid trails. Really neat mechanic but I can see how people would be frustrated.

Its amazing how different it is with games today. Look at breath of the wild for creative solutions to every puzzle in the game.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I've been playing Until Dawn with a friend who never played it and watching their reactions has been so fun! I forgot how some things played it so it's been fun for me too.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
John Wolfe played a demo for a game called Writer's Block on his channel a few days ago, looks really promising if you're into point-and-click pixelated horror games. Looking forward to the full release whenever the dev gets around to finishing it!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

alone in the dark 2008 actually had a lot of really fascinating and interlinked systems going on in how it handled item use and the like and the way flames were rendered is still like one of the best i've ever seen in a videogame, but it's a shame that the rest was kind of a muddled mess

Improving the inventory system would have done a great deal to encourage all the crazy item use. Keeping it in real time was such a boneheaded decision because the jacket interface is too clunky to quickly scroll through (especially with a mouse and keyboard), so you usually just end up picking the simplest solution to everything like throwing fire bottles to blow up with your gun or grabbing healing spray.

The controls in general sucked, but making the inventory a simpler menu and pausing time for you to sort through it would have done a lot to improve the gameplay.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The jacket inventory was the only cool thing about it tho.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The first time you tried to drive a car as the city fell into poo poo and how many times I died during that made me immediately return it to gamefly when I gave I DON'T HAVE YOUR STONE, AND gently caress YOU ANYWAY a shot. It was interesting that they actually implemented Lucifer's weird tunnels into everything both in game and in cutscene, however, in execution it was a pain in the rear end and a horrible mistake to stick with.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Crabtree posted:

The first time you tried to drive a car as the city fell into poo poo and how many times I died during that made me immediately return it to gamefly when I gave I DON'T HAVE YOUR STONE, AND gently caress YOU ANYWAY a shot.

Yeah, that bit was real bad. The PS3 version added checkpoints. Not more, just in general. Great soundtrack though.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
The high point for me was when you were on the final trek of the game and it suddenly decided that you, the player, should enjoy the immersive, open world Central Park they set up...so you need to meander about the entire map destroying these evil roots surrounded by enemies or requiring car platforming jumping puzzles. And they are sincerely spread across this huge map and there's constantly regenerating enemies that act bizarrely and teleport onto your car, and there's no way to get them ahead of time and you have to get 80% of them...so you are just stopped dead in your tracks from reaching the penultimate area of the game by an hour of busy work. There are so many other interesting and useful ways to push players to explore your open world; collectibles, unlockables, or just setup story elements at those different points. But nope, the story is linear areas that are separated off from the open world bit and the open world bit is used as a showcase of scrapped ideas mixed with a useless side quest that becomes a major storyline plot point.

Then there was also the weird side version that was done for the Wii; where the plot beats and locations were mostly the same, but simplified down to fit on the Wii: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3nGk5geCdA (but yeah, such an amazing soundtrack)

Crabtree posted:

The first time you tried to drive a car as the city fell into poo poo and how many times I died during that made me immediately return it to gamefly when I gave I DON'T HAVE YOUR STONE, AND gently caress YOU ANYWAY a shot. It was interesting that they actually implemented Lucifer's weird tunnels into everything both in game and in cutscene, however, in execution it was a pain in the rear end and a horrible mistake to stick with.
Strangely that section is slightly easier if you play it from the first person and that also unlocked an achievement.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the game is like a weird sandbox that begrudgingly has a story and i wish that other games would take inspiration from the actually neat bits

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wish there was a 100% faithful remake to the original trilogy but with better graphics.

I want all of the puzzles to stay the same.

Yes, all of them.

Those games were so goddamned wacky, it's amazing.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What do you think: Atari Classic is a huge success, revitalizes Atari, get a new AitD by 2021 OR Atari Classic flops, Atari finally folds, someone else gets the rights, new AitD by 2021.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hasn't Atari folded like three or four times now but people just keep buying the name?

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
I actually legitimately enjoyed the Central Park root burning part, I thought the linear story sections were poor in comparison, especially the aforementioned race along collapsing streets.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

AitD 2008 is a weird game in that, someone on the dev team clearly gave a poo poo, but they weren't high enough on the totem pole to make sure that spirit carried on to the rest of the team.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My roommate and I played through the game on the PS3 - it wasn't too bad, from what I hear it was much improved over the PC/360 versions. But yeah you could tell there were a lot of cool things implemented in the game from devs that didn't have much say over the overall flow of the game itself. The game itself is entertaining, if nothing else, as long as you know what to expect when you start it up. I definitely remember just constantly blinking to see enemy weak points, but there are so many other small mechanics that I've completely forgotten (such as the method of leaving a trail of ignitable fluid).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Irony.or.Death posted:

That all sounds like Pathologic other than the studio folding bit; they put out several other games (including the excellent The Void) and they're currently working on Pathologic 2.

Also Pathologic 2 is confusingly named; it's basically an overhaul/reimagining of the first game, not a direct sequel. The progress pics and videos on their website look VERY very good and I am extremely hyped for it.