Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there are fewer red flags more obvious than trying to get a butt in seat in a hurry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

kdrudy posted:

Talked to a company about an Android role, turns out they only do Kotlin, I have only done Java. The fact that big parts of my career were learning whatever language I needed to fix up or finish a project is not something they will even consider. Disappointing.

lmao java->kotlin has gotta be one of the easiest language transitions on the planet. if they reject you for that you didn't want to work there

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

during company wide meetings our ceo loved to brag about how good we were doing and how we have 24 months of cash in the bank. but then they canceled 401k matching, laid off 10% of staff. forcing people to use up vacation. I have access to our finances so his bragging is closer to the truth than not.

its just a convenient excuse to cut costs and fire some people even if you 100% dont need to.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

power botton posted:

during company wide meetings our ceo loved to brag about how good we were doing and how we have 24 months of cash in the bank. but then they canceled 401k matching, laid off 10% of staff. forcing people to use up vacation. I have access to our finances so his bragging is closer to the truth than not.

its just a convenient excuse to cut costs and fire some people even if you 100% dont need to.

there's going to be a lot of this

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
sounds like there's a certain very small group and a certain very large group of people within this organization. two classes of people, if you will. and there is a continuous and on-going conflict between these two groups, dare i say, a struggle, over a zero sum pie wherein one side will immediately seize on any weakness on the other side to extract concessions from it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

kdrudy posted:

Talked to a company about an Android role, turns out they only do Kotlin, I have only done Java. The fact that big parts of my career were learning whatever language I needed to fix up or finish a project is not something they will even consider. Disappointing.

Kotlin is very easy to learn and you'd be able to write useful code in under a week if you already know java. Probably a bullet dodged but it would definitely help you to pick up kotlin anyway if you're interested in Android because there's lots of roles out there that only want it and it's very easy. Not a good sign they wouldn't give you ramp up time

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

sounds like there's a certain very small group and a certain very large group of people within this organization. two classes of people, if you will. and there is a continuous and on-going conflict between these two groups, dare i say, a struggle, over a zero sum pie wherein one side will immediately seize on any weakness on the other side to extract concessions from it.

well to continue your insane ramblings I would be in the management class at a private corporation (professional managerial class if you will) and I still have a job so Im not understanding what youre saying and im glad we agree optimizing costs is the right thing to do.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

Kotlin is very easy to learn and you'd be able to write useful code in under a week if you already know java. Probably a bullet dodged but it would definitely help you to pick up kotlin anyway if you're interested in Android because there's lots of roles out there that only want it and it's very easy. Not a good sign they wouldn't give you ramp up time

Yea, it's been something I've been meaning to look into for a while, I've done enough Android and general Java development in the past I don't expect it to take long to pick up. I could probably convert some of my older apps over to it to try it out and see.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

power botton posted:

well to continue your insane ramblings I would be in the management class at a private corporation (professional managerial class if you will) and I still have a job so Im not understanding what youre saying and im glad we agree optimizing costs is the right thing to do.

wut

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

This thread got quiet.

I have a solid lead for new role, passed first two rounds remotely, including 1 full day round with entire team. Next step is on-site, but it’s been delayed and is now TBD. Can’t tell if they’re fishing around for other candidates, or if it’s still on.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

street doc posted:

This thread got quiet.

I have a solid lead for new role, passed first two rounds remotely, including 1 full day round with entire team. Next step is on-site, but it’s been delayed and is now TBD. Can’t tell if they’re fishing around for other candidates, or if it’s still on.

a full day remote interview with an entire team sounds... not fun

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

We're doing 3-3.5h remote for our full panels and that sounds like a ton, tbh.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
currently halfway through a 6mo contract with the walmart bank. recruiter just hit me up for 12mo with that big bank that just got bought td. how bad does it look to leave without finishing the 6 mo. no wear in my contract does it actually say i'm hired for 6 mo tho from what i remember.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 27, 2020

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

barkbell posted:

currently halfway through a 6mo contract with the walmart bank. recruiter just hit me up for 12mo with that big bank that just got bought td. how bad does it look to leave without finishing the 6 mo. no wear in my contract does it actually say i'm hired for 6 mo tho from what i remember.

they would drop you the instant it became the least bit profitable to do so

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

barkbell posted:

there’s never been a better time to secure longer term income for yourself. just make sure you can breach the current contract without penalty

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
i probably spent about a month and a half straight doing leet code type poo poo starting around xmas break. The job i ended up getting was basically a few fizz buzz and basic multithreading questions lmao.

negotiated a small bump even though its a pretty sizable increase over what i currently make.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

it feels really weird applying for jobs right now and also dealing with imposter syndrome

being 22 and having a CS degree and already having nearly 2 years of IT services tech support makes me feel really weird and unaccomplished

i was a computer toucher but i was also a projector lamp toucher and i want to do more network/security touching but i never got a chance to really do that at work because yay unions

i have a basic amount of security/networking stuff (christ i run unifi at home, well i used to)

is this normal for computer touchers getting started

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Buff Hardback posted:

it feels really weird applying for jobs right now and also dealing with imposter syndrome

being 22 and having a CS degree and already having nearly 2 years of IT services tech support makes me feel really weird and unaccomplished

i was a computer toucher but i was also a projector lamp toucher and i want to do more network/security touching but i never got a chance to really do that at work because yay unions

i have a basic amount of security/networking stuff (christ i run unifi at home, well i used to)

is this normal for computer touchers getting started

a cs degree teaches you almost nothing about being a professional computer toucher. focus on what you actually did, emphasize the non a/v parts, and explain how you’re really into networking and want to grow professionally in that area. if you can configure ubnt on your own you’re at least familiar with the concepts. being the security guy sucks, you do not want this job. what you want is to be security-conscious in whatever specialties you do end up working in. security is a mindset and structural, not something you Do Also

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Captain Foo posted:

if you can configure ubnt on your own you’re at least familiar with the concepts

ubiquiti?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

barkbell posted:

ubiquiti?

they go by ubnt for short, yeah

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Captain Foo posted:

a cs degree teaches you almost nothing about being a professional computer toucher. focus on what you actually did, emphasize the non a/v parts, and explain how you’re really into networking and want to grow professionally in that area. if you can configure ubnt on your own you’re at least familiar with the concepts. being the security guy sucks, you do not want this job. what you want is to be security-conscious in whatever specialties you do end up working in. security is a mindset and structural, not something you Do Also

thanks

in any case i've got applications out to a few places already, it seems like in some ways computer touching is relatively unaffected by beer, but in other ways it's more affected than most because of the new requirements. my current applications are to places that by nature of the industry they're in have to keep going, so hopefully i get a few bites. the actual hiring process seems to be the thing that's dragging, i had an application i submitted back in february for a california state university job, it took them 2 months to reply back with a "due to coronavirus this position is canceled"

could they have moved any slower on that

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

args aren't normally passed on the stack on any widely-used architecture any more now that 32-bit x86 is essentially dead

Depends on how many args. x86-64 on Windows passes the first four integer arguments in registers and printf is one of those functions when you often use more than that.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Buff Hardback posted:

thanks

in any case i've got applications out to a few places already, it seems like in some ways computer touching is relatively unaffected by beer, but in other ways it's more affected than most because of the new requirements. my current applications are to places that by nature of the industry they're in have to keep going, so hopefully i get a few bites. the actual hiring process seems to be the thing that's dragging, i had an application i submitted back in february for a california state university job, it took them 2 months to reply back with a "due to coronavirus this position is canceled"

good luck, i have a cable-puller's/networking background so feel free to ask questions

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Buff Hardback posted:

i had a university position reject me after 2 months once, and then reject me again 6 months later. i only ever submitted one application

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
a place i interviewed at two months ago called me back with an "our freeze finally ended" so I am finally leaving the torturous hellscape that is my current job

i put in notice and they're paying me in lieu, lol

thanks for the vacation you idiots but have fun dealing with all the poo poo I do that you didn't have me document

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

HR called me back today after a second round interview last week. Asked me what I thought now that I've had a chance to talk to some people on the team, so I said a bit about how I'm excited about the opportunity, seems like a good fit, that kind of thing.

Oh, she says, well unfortunately we've decided to go with other candidates.

Like..why ask that question if you're just calling to reject me? Why call at all? loving morons.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Devonaut posted:

HR called me back today after a second round interview last week. Asked me what I thought now that I've had a chance to talk to some people on the team, so I said a bit about how I'm excited about the opportunity, seems like a good fit, that kind of thing.

Like..why ask that question if you're just calling to reject me? Why call at all? loving morons.

Lol

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
brutal own by HR there

s like the Bloody situation but in reverse

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Boiled Water posted:

they would drop you the instant it became the least bit profitable to do so

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

there’s never been a better time to secure longer term income for yourself. just make sure you can breach the current contract without penalty

Thanks for the advice. Went ahead and engaged with the recruiter, gave her 3 references I obtained with my current team. She called them yesterday and the boss lady must have gotten wind. Had a quick 1 on 1 where she said she intends to extend my contract in July or, if the hiring freeze is lifted by the CEO, offer me a full time position. An IOU isn't worth much, but I guess spooking the boss works.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

barkbell posted:

Thanks for the advice. Went ahead and engaged with the recruiter, gave her 3 references I obtained with my current team. She called them yesterday and the boss lady must have gotten wind. Had a quick 1 on 1 where she said she intends to extend my contract in July or, if the hiring freeze is lifted by the CEO, offer me a full time position. An IOU isn't worth much, but I guess spooking the boss works.

no it doesn't

unless your boss puts a contract in front of you immediately it counts for jack poo poo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Devonaut posted:

lol that sucks and im sorry, but still lol

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Devonaut posted:

lol why call at all

"this meeting could have been an email"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Devonaut posted:

That's some "mad negging" (as the kids say these days).

:ohno:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

barkbell posted:

why the gently caress did you give out references with people you currently work with

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

lol that sucks and im sorry, but still lol

of course, even I find it hilarious

JawnV6 posted:

lol why call at all

"this meeting could have been an email"

especially since they were calling from the netherlands...

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

dragon enthusiast posted:

why the gently caress did you give out references with people you currently work with
why use a snitch as a reference

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Devonaut posted:

back in high school, when applying to colleges, my friend applied to and was rejected from Harvard. a few months later they awarded him The Harvard Book, which is a book of application essays to Harvard.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Devonaut posted:

This sucks, and I'm sorry it happened to you, but this is an astoundingly brutal HR own.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

barkbell posted:

i think u hosed up, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

barkbell posted:

that IOU is worth less than nothing
if your boss knows you've been looking for other jobs, she can expect you to leave at any moment and she's gonna want to replace you with someone she thinks will stick around longer
don't stop halfway on those interviews