Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Lately I've been missing my '78 Ibanez P-bass, "Nola," that I sold to h_double, but I finally got a pretty drat convincing P-bass sound from my Lakland. Granted I have to dig-in like hell to do so, but I love that nasty, dirty, growly P-sound...

VERY rough sample:

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
After using my new GK MB210 at band practice yesterday, I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for an amp. It sounds great, is reasonably priced, and weighs 33 lbs. What more could you want? An effects loop, I suppose, but I'm not complaining.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That looks pretty solid for a combo amp. Are you planning to gig with it?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

That looks pretty solid for a combo amp. Are you planning to gig with it?

Yeah, eventually. I've been playing with this band for about a month so we're still working up our repertoire. We aren't too loud, but it had plenty of power in practice with 3 guitar combos (DRRI, Twin, and Mesa F 50 or 30), keyboard and drums with room to spare on the volume knob. There's also a speaker jack and a direct out, so I shouldn't need anything bigger. I want more of a warm, vintage-y tone and I assumed GK would be more modern and hifi, but I thought it sounded great for my purposes with the tweeter off and most of the EQ knobs around 12 o'clock. I'm using an SX P-copy with chrome flatwounds.

There are 2 other models in the range: a 200 watt 1x15 for $400 and a 500 watt 2x12 for 700. The 2x12 and the 2x10 have the same amp, but there's no speaker jack on the 2x12 because the internal speakers are getting the full 500 watts. On the 2x10 it's 350 for the internal speakers, and 500 if you plug in an external speaker.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I've been thinking of picking up bass recently and I found a craig's list add for someone who is selling:

Ampeg 810 SVT Cab -$500
Ampeg B2R Head head- $150
Fender Jazz Bass Mexican - $250

All those sound like reasonable prices, but I don't want a 165 lb cab with 8 speakers. Is a head like the B2R even worth picking up for a beginner. If so, what size cab should I be looking for. I don't think I am going to be playing with a band anytime soon (but then again, who knows). I want something that I can play in my bedroom/living room without pissing off the people who live in the apartment above me.

Am I better off just sticking with an SX and a Roland bass cube or Behringer combo?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Gripen5 posted:

I want something that I can play in my bedroom/living room without pissing off the people who live in the apartment above me.

Get whatever cab/amp combo will be most usable in a gig / practice situation, and plug your headphones in practicing at home.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gripen5 posted:

I've been thinking of picking up bass recently and I found a craig's list add for someone who is selling:

Ampeg 810 SVT Cab -$500
Ampeg B2R Head head- $150
Fender Jazz Bass Mexican - $250

All those sound like reasonable prices, but I don't want a 165 lb cab with 8 speakers. Is a head like the B2R even worth picking up for a beginner. If so, what size cab should I be looking for. I don't think I am going to be playing with a band anytime soon (but then again, who knows). I want something that I can play in my bedroom/living room without pissing off the people who live in the apartment above me.

Am I better off just sticking with an SX and a Roland bass cube or Behringer combo?

Seems like a little bit of overkill to me... but those are some pretty drat good prices.

It just depends if you're willing to drop $850 on something you may or may not like. Depending on the condition of the 810, you could always take it to Guitar Center and see if they wouldn't trade you for a 410hlf or even 610 since you don't want something that big.

Also, I have a late 90s B2R that is my current gigging amp. I love it.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Get whatever cab/amp combo will be most usable in a gig / practice situation, and plug your headphones in practicing at home.

This sounds like a pretty good idea. For the time being, if I don't have a cab, I can still use the head through headphones right?

There is about a zero percent chance that I would buy that cab. It may be a great price, but I wouldn't even be able to even fit it in my car or in my apartment if I could somehow get it there. He didn't say in the add that you had to buy it all, so I was probably just picking up the head and bass.

Thanks for the advice.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah you can plug headphones into an amp head, just be sure to plug into a PA out, NOT the speaker output.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gripen5 posted:

This sounds like a pretty good idea. For the time being, if I don't have a cab, I can still use the head through headphones right?

There is about a zero percent chance that I would buy that cab. It may be a great price, but I wouldn't even be able to even fit it in my car or in my apartment if I could somehow get it there. He didn't say in the add that you had to buy it all, so I was probably just picking up the head and bass.

Thanks for the advice.

B2R has no headphone jack, and it is not a good idea to turn an amp on w/o the load going somewhere.

Edit: nm, that's primarily for tube amps, but I try not to make a habit of it for solid state. I've never tried running headphones from my preamp-out, but it makes sense.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 14, 2009

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Scarf posted:

B2R has no headphone jack, and it is not a good idea to turn an amp on w/o the load going somewhere.

Ok, that answers my question. No matter what, I am going to need a cab pretty much right away.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Alright upon further research it looks like unless you're amp has an output transformer, turning it on w/o a speaker connected shouldn't cause any harm. No clue about the Preamp-out working as a headphone jack, but it makes sense seeing as how I use mine to feed my rack-tuner.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Just buy a practise amp for 50 bucks. I'm sure that bass isn't that special that you couldn't find a similar one for the same price from someone else. Definitely don't buy expensive poo poo before you've learned to play a bit or have a practise space. A small practise amp is more than enough to play at home.

Reminds me of that one guy who bought a loving rick as his first bass cos might as well start from the top right? He promptly sold it a few months later when he needed cash... He posted about it in some thread about expensive poo poo you've owned I think.

It'd be a shame for your playing to end because you need that 800 bucks for something else and sold your gear.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 15, 2009

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

Just buy a practise amp for 50 bucks. I'm sure that bass isn't that special that you couldn't find a similar one for the same price from someone else. Definitely don't buy expensive poo poo before you've learned to play a bit or have a practise space. A small practise amp is more than enough to play at home.

Reminds me of that one guy who bought a loving rick as his first bass cos might as well start from the top right? He promptly sold it a few months later when he needed cash... He posted about it in some thread about expensive poo poo you've owned I think.

It'd be a shame for your playing to end because you need that 800 bucks for something else and sold your gear.

I'm not buying the cab no matter what. If he won't part with the other stuff separately I am not buying it all.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
If I were to, say, switch from 2 12" drivers to 2 15" drivers, what would I expect? Let's stipulate that both of the enclosures are well-tuned/ported, and on that note, what's a good 1x15" or 2x15" cabinet?

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

Scarf posted:

It was either Winter or Summer NAMM this past year. After the success of the VM series, they did the CVs and yea, everyone pretty much loves em.

Do you suppose that QC is still high with all of the buzz and extra demand for the CVs? A year and a half is plenty of time for production shortcuts to be taken on these things. I've been toying with the idea of a CV but I can't help but wonder how quality is at this point.

scuz posted:

If I were to, say, switch from 2 12" drivers to 2 15" drivers, what would I expect? Let's stipulate that both of the enclosures are well-tuned/ported, and on that note, what's a good 1x15" or 2x15" cabinet?

Less punch, less definition, and more low end? I love my Bag End S15-D, it's very punchy for a 15" cab. There's also the S15X-D which has a high frequency driver to make up for being a 15" cab. It's a little pricey though.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bourbon posted:

Less punch, less definition, and more low end? I love my Bag End S15-D, it's very punchy for a 15" cab. There's also the S15X-D which has a high frequency driver to make up for being a 15" cab. It's a little pricey though.
That's sort of what I thought, but I dunno. At the TalkBass meet a dude had a Bergantino 2x15 and it sounded way clear and puncy. Maybe it depends on the size of the cab or something?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bourbon posted:

Do you suppose that QC is still high with all of the buzz and extra demand for the CVs? A year and a half is plenty of time for production shortcuts to be taken on these things. I've been toying with the idea of a CV but I can't help but wonder how quality is at this point.

I'd wager it's still pretty good. Fender/Squier turned a corner in 2008 and kicked up their QC a good bit.

scuz posted:

That's sort of what I thought, but I dunno. At the TalkBass meet a dude had a Bergantino 2x15 and it sounded way clear and puncy. Maybe it depends on the size of the cab or something?

I'd think it would have to do more with the quality of parts used.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

I'd think it would have to do more with the quality of parts used.
Oh, durr :downs:. I need to use my brain sometimes...

If Harmony Central were up, I'd look more into the Bag End S-15D's, but the TalkBass reviews will do for now. The best part about Bag End cabs is that their used price is so freakin' low, I dunno why. I'm not even sure why I wanna try 'em; probably listening to too much sludge metal v:shobon:v

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive bass synth? I found this one for pretty cheap ($40 on ebay) but it seems a little too cheap..

Behringer BSY600 Bass Synthesizer
http://www.jr.com/behringer/pe/BEH_BSY600/

I'm looking to spend under $100.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I r Pat posted:

Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive bass synth? I found this one for pretty cheap ($40 on ebay) but it seems a little too cheap..

Behringer BSY600 Bass Synthesizer
http://www.jr.com/behringer/pe/BEH_BSY600/

I'm looking to spend under $100.

I'd stay away from the Behringer.

Check out the Ibanez SB7: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SB7-Synthesizer-Bass-Pedal?sku=150237

Or the Digitech Bass Synth Wah: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-XBW-Bass-Synth-Wah-Effects-Pedal?sku=150828

Neither are really true analog synthesizers, but they both have good tracking and some good useful sounds. Normally I'd recommend the Boss SYB-3, but it frustrates a lot of people since it requires really really clean technique in order to track/trigger well.

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

Musician's Friend is having a Fender Sell-abration which is supposedly 20%-off Fender guitars when you order by phone. I might have to get a Classic Vibe Jazz.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bourbon posted:

Musician's Friend is having a Fender Sell-abration which is supposedly 20%-off Fender guitars when you order by phone. I might have to get a Classic Vibe Jazz.

They're including Squier on that? Hmm.

Edit: Also, anyone curious about the CV basses should watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 16, 2009

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Also, yesterday I used the code 'mffriend' to get 20% off. The catch is you don't enter it in the first box you see. You have to wait until you're at the screen where you enter your cc info. Picked up a korg pitchblack and a 1-spot adapter for the pedalboard I'm assembling.

Edit: Apparently it ended yesterday. Nevermind.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 16, 2009

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Scarf posted:

I'd stay away from the Behringer.

Check out the Ibanez SB7: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SB7-Synthesizer-Bass-Pedal?sku=150237

Or the Digitech Bass Synth Wah: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-XBW-Bass-Synth-Wah-Effects-Pedal?sku=150828

Neither are really true analog synthesizers, but they both have good tracking and some good useful sounds. Normally I'd recommend the Boss SYB-3, but it frustrates a lot of people since it requires really really clean technique in order to track/trigger well.

ooh, this digitech one looks sweet. I may have to get it. Thanks. Still open to suggestions though!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I r Pat posted:

ooh, this digitech one looks sweet. I may have to get it. Thanks. Still open to suggestions though!

Those are really the only options I can think of in your price range. Beyond that is the EHX Bass Micro Synth (which I'm not really a fan of, but some people love it), and beyond that is stuff like an Akai Deep Impact SB-1 that runs for about $500 used (out of production).

I may be forgetting some stuff though..

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Scarf posted:

Those are really the only options I can think of in your price range. Beyond that is the EHX Bass Micro Synth (which I'm not really a fan of, but some people love it), and beyond that is stuff like an Akai Deep Impact SB-1 that runs for about $500 used (out of production).

I may be forgetting some stuff though..

I know the Boss SYB-5 is supposed to be awesome:
http://www.jr.com/boss/pe/BSS_SYB5/

It's a little out of my price range.. but if its oh so much better I may have to spring the extra $$.

I'm mainly looking for a nice envelope filter to add a rubbery wah, and some synth sounds would be cool aswell. I think the digitech is the way to go it looks like.. have any experience with the boss?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Octavius Squeezer, Korg Toneworks G5...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I r Pat posted:

I know the Boss SYB-5 is supposed to be awesome:
http://www.jr.com/boss/pe/BSS_SYB5/

It's a little out of my price range.. but if its oh so much better I may have to spring the extra $$.

I'm mainly looking for a nice envelope filter to add a rubbery wah, and some synth sounds would be cool aswell. I think the digitech is the way to go it looks like.. have any experience with the boss?

I have it's predecessor, the SYB-3 that was all analog. No experience with the 5, but they claimed it tracked/triggered better.

Order from somewhere with a good return policy. Some people absolutely HATE the boss synths.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 16, 2009

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Scarf posted:

I have it's predecessor, the SYB-3 that was all analog. No experience with the 5, but they claimed it tracked/triggered better.

Order from somewhere with a good return policy. Some people absolutely HATE the boss synths.

I had the SYB-3 too. I'm pretty sure it's digital, although I've often read that it sounds more like an analog synth than the SYB-5 does. The SYB-3 does sound awesome, but I found it too temperamental. I ended up trading it in towards a used MicroKorg because I could never get it to track reliably enough that I wanted to depend on it live. Much happier with the real synth.

Those Digitech Synth Wah pedals are pretty cool. My friend's got one. The range of sounds is more limited, but I don't think it "tracks" exactly, or if it does it works much better than the Boss does.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

rockear posted:

I had the SYB-3 too. I'm pretty sure it's digital, although I've often read that it sounds more like an analog synth than the SYB-5 does. The SYB-3 does sound awesome, but I found it too temperamental. I ended up trading it in towards a used MicroKorg because I could never get it to track reliably enough that I wanted to depend on it live. Much happier with the real synth.

Those Digitech Synth Wah pedals are pretty cool. My friend's got one. The range of sounds is more limited, but I don't think it "tracks" exactly, or if it does it works much better than the Boss does.

I was always told that was one of the main changes between the 3 and 5, that the 3 was analog.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Scarf posted:

I was always told that was one of the main changes between the 3 and 5, that the 3 was analog.

I've heard that too, but I don't think it's accurate. I think it just models more änalog" type sounds than the 5 does. It does sound good and that's all that matters really.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah, regardless, I'm hoping to replace it with this in the near future:

Programmable synth via Markbass software on your machine. 9 synth presets, 3 octave.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Scarf posted:

Programmable synth via Markbass software on your machine. 9 synth presets, 3 octave.

That thing does look cool. The presets make a huge difference IMO. That was another thing that drove me from the SYB-3 to the MicroKorg.

*trys to adjust those little tiny stacked pots on a dark stage in between songs* :negative:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

rockear posted:

That thing does look cool. The presets make a huge difference IMO. That was another thing that drove me from the SYB-3 to the MicroKorg.

*trys to adjust those little tiny stacked pots on a dark stage in between songs* :negative:

Yeah, I only ever used 2-3 sounds from it in a live setting, and even then, it was usually just changing the mode, not the actual shaping knobs.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

rockear posted:

Wait, is there a way you can hook a real synth up to a bass as an effect or are you saying you just love a synth as a synth? I'm asking because I own a MicroKorg too.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I r Pat posted:

Wait, is there a way you can hook a real synth up to a bass as an effect or are you saying you just love a synth as a synth? I'm asking because I own a MicroKorg too.

It does have line level audio-in in the back of it...

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

I r Pat posted:

Actually yeah I think you can run an instrument into the line in on the back and apply the synth to it as if it were a voice for the vocoder. I think you'd want to run it through a DI first though. I haven't tried that yet. It seems like you'd need to tap the bass with one hand and play the keys with the other?

But my main point was that it's much more effective (for me) to play synth bass on a synth than a pedal. My amp has 4 inputs so I just plug it in along side my bass and go. I've got quite a way to go to reach Geddy Lee status though.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

scuz posted:

What about your 2X12 are you dissatisfied with?

The S-15D is unlike most other 15" cabinets in that it's a very compact design, so it doesn't really push any low end, and doesn't really start to get loud until you get into the 250Hz range, if playing around with one hooked to an amp with a parametric EQ is any indication. This is why it sounds so punchy-it strongly emphasizes the midrange. This is good if you really want to cut through a mix, but you'll be dissatisfied if you need any real bass response.

The best 1X15 cabinet out there right now, in my opinion, is the fEarful design that greenboy on Talkbass came up with. I use something similar (in a 15/6 configuration) that was optimized for a slightly different set of drivers, and it blows away most anything on the open market that I've encountered. It has an insane amount of low end, yet doesn't get boomy and remains articulate thanks to the midrange driver. Think of an NV215 with more lows, and you're in the ballpark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankthetank
Dec 20, 2006

Hey guys, I play bass in a band and I've been having some issues with cramping and aching that I thought you friendly people might be able to help me with. I play using a pick and it never used to cause me any problems but recently I've been getting cramps in my thumb and fore arm. During a live show a couple of nights ago my entire arm seized up after me trying to play through the cramps/aches and I had to resort to playing with my fingers. Are there any physical exercises/work outs that can help train my arm and hand muscles up? Any help would be greatly appreciated!