Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
I think you have to pay the Umsatzsteuer (19%). Customs might keep your iPad and make you send the bill/invoice before sending it to you.

That's the experience I had with importing a GP2Xwiz that cost 100$.

Edit:
That would be another 100 bucks in your case, Ziir. But maybe it is possible to not pay the US VAT. You can ask the vendor if that is possible.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ziir posted:

I'd rather order one in the US for $499 and have my mom send it over to me or something. That's nearly a $200 savings for me right there and I'm not sure how much shipping would cost but I imagine "around $50" or so. But I'm assuming I'd have to pay some kind of import tax on this too, wouldn't I? How much would that cost me then?

Just make sure it's not in it's original box and that there's no receipt. Have your mom ship it with just the iPad + the charging cable, and ship other stuff in the box too like clothes and other personal affects. Otherwise you'll have to pay VAT.

Hungry Gerbil's experience is true if you order anything from a real company (e.g. Amazon) though.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Eh, I don't think it's worth the trouble then because it looks like I severely underestimated shipping costs. Quick Googling tells me the shipping box is 10"x10"x4" and 3.1 lbs, and the lowest shipping cost via UPS is $126 and I'm sure the others would be similar.

$499 + $95 (19%) + $126 = $720.

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Edit:
That would be another 100 bucks in your case, Ziir. But maybe it is possible to not pay the US VAT. You can ask the vendor if that is possible.

Ugh, it'd be $499 + a sales tax.

e: If she repackages it and makes it convincing that she's just sending me things I forgot then I wouldn't have to pay that import tax? Sounds good to me, except then I'm assuming shipping costs would go up because the box would get heavier with a tshirt or something else in there.

e2: Plus w/ sales tax (which is a mess because it's different for every god drat city but let's assume ~10%) the iPad would cost around $550. Add in even with a $100 shipping fee with no VAT it's now basically a question of whether or not saving ~$30 is worth waiting 1-2 weeks for Apple to ship it to my mom and another 1-2 weeks for her to ship it to me, versus picking it up at the store here in person.

e3: fixed some grammar

Ziir fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 20, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Saladman posted:

Just make sure it's not in it's original box and that there's no receipt. Have your mom ship it with just the iPad + the charging cable, and ship other stuff in the box too like clothes and other personal affects. Otherwise you'll have to pay VAT.

Hungry Gerbil's experience is true if you order anything from a real company (e.g. Amazon) though.

Does that really work?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Does that really work?

I have done this in Switzerland many times (5? 6?), and I doubt the Swiss are less anal about import tax than the Germans. TBH usually I do it with clothes and I just buy my electronics here, but it should be the same deal. I just make sure all the tags are cut off.

You are legally allowed to import your personal affects with you in, say, a plane, so it's not any different. Not that you would bother getting a lawyer to contest it in the unlikely event they do end up somehow finding out and trying to bill you.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Cool, I didn't know that.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Ziir posted:

Eh, I don't think it's worth the trouble then because it looks like I severely underestimated shipping costs. Quick Googling tells me the shipping box is 10"x10"x4" and 3.1 lbs, and the lowest shipping cost via UPS is $126 and I'm sure the others would be similar.

$499 + $95 (19%) + $126 = $720.

Ugh, it'd be $499 + a sales tax.

e: If she repackages it and makes it convincing that she's just sending me things I forgot then I wouldn't have to pay that import tax? Sounds good to me, except then I'm assuming shipping costs would go up because the box would get heavier with a tshirt or something else in there.

e2: Plus w/ sales tax (which is a mess because it's different for every god drat city but let's assume ~10%) the iPad would cost around $550. Add in even a $100 shipping fee with no VAT and now it's basically a question of whether or not ~$30 is worth waiting 1-2 weeks for Apple to ship it to my mom and another 1-2 weeks for her to ship it to me, versus picking it up at the store here in person.

Check USPS. If you can ship it in a flatrate box it should be around $30, I don't know about insurance though.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

elwood posted:

Check USPS. If you can ship it in a flatrate box it should be around $30, I don't know about insurance though.

Oh cool, I totally forgot about those boxes. An iPad would fit into the medium boxes and that's $51 shipped with insurance. Altogether with US sales tax (and no VAT) ~$600 shipped.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

the posted:

Driving out of Munich to Fuessen tomorrow. Anything especially important I need to know about driving on German roads?

What Saladman said. Füssen will be a hellhole to drive in/through this time of the year though. loving tourists everywhere.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'll be one of them :haw:

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
On the subject of water:

My wife and I like carbonated/gassy water, but every time we go to a restaurant, we don't feel like paying 10 Euros for a 5 tiny bottles of Pellegrino. We also don't want to be forced to have a slightly cheaper Coke Light if all we want is regular tap water, which they apparently will also (sometimes) charge you for.

In the states if you ask for a glass of water (tap) then it's usually free. How can we get around just getting a free/cheap glass of water for our meals when we eat out?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

bronin posted:

Füssen will be a hellhole to drive in/through this time of the year though. loving tourists everywhere.

We'll be part of the problem in about 3 weeks. We're taking the train though. You are welcome.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
You won't get a free glass of water in Germany. You could try to get it for less money than bottled water, but it's not very likely.

Edit:
And why is everyone going to Füssen?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Hungry Gerbil posted:

You won't get a free glass of water in Germany. You could try to get it for less money than bottled water, but it's not very likely.

:argh: :argh: :argh:

Okay, so what do you do to get around it? Is it acceptable to bring your own bottle of water/coke to a restaurant and tell them to F.O.? We want to avoid the ugly American vibe.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
^^^^^^
Just drink beer with every meal. Problem solved.

LaserWash posted:

We'll be part of the problem in about 3 weeks. We're taking the train though. You are welcome.

the posted:

I'll be one of them :haw:

Oh don't worry, I live 20km north of Füssen. Haven't been there in a while :)

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Edit:
And why is everyone going to Füssen?

Schloss Neuschwanstein

bronin fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 20, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

LaserWash posted:

:argh: :argh: :argh:

Okay, so what do you do to get around it? Is it acceptable to bring your own bottle of water/coke to a restaurant and tell them to F.O.?

Haha, no. You're hosed.

bronin posted:

Schloss Neuschwanstein

:doh:

Born in Bavaria, never been there. That's what makes a true Bavarian. :smug:

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Okay, another question, hopefully with a better result:

We want to go to the English Garden in Munich, but we aren't down for the nudity (we are from Texas, so we're prudes). What parts should we see, and how do we avoid the naked man parts of the garden. We'd like to rent bikes and go to the pogoda if that makes a difference.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

bronin posted:

^^^^^^
Just drink beer with every meal. all the time. Problem solved.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Look out for signs with 'FKK' (Freikörperkultur = gross old naked people) on them. Naked people are found mainly in the southern part of the park near the Haus der Kunst.

And if you want to take a walk along the Isar, keep away from the Flaucher. Lots of naked people there, too.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
So it's marked then.

Does this mean that people require clothing outside of this area? Just checking.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Yeah, you can't run around naked outside of FKK zones. But it's not as strict in the Englischer Garten.

And topless women don't count as naked by the way. Those are everywhere.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Hungry Gerbil posted:

And topless women don't count as naked by the way. Those are everywhere.

okay, Don't need that either. Any surefire way of avoiding that?

Really all we want to do is enjoy the pagoda, have a nice bike ride on the river, and see parts of the river. Anyway to do that without body parts flapping around?

We'd also like to take in a Bavarian/tirolian music dancing thing. Any good place to do that in Füssen or Munich other than the hofbrauhaus?

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 20, 2011

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Will it really completely ruin your day seeing a naked person or two?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Well, if you go to the Englischer Garten you will probably see a naked person.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 20, 2011

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Well, I told you we were prudes. :-P

We're staying near the Marienplatz so we'll have lots of other things to do if the English Garden thing doesn't work out.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Regarding the Bavarian music: there is 'Tag der Volkskultur(en)' in the Westpark on Sunday next week (5/29/11). There will be a ton of traditional Bavarian music on several stages from 11 am to 5 pm.

Flyer with map and so on:
http://www.schule-bairische-musik.de/dateien/VolkskulturVorflyerMitPlan.pdf

The name of the event sounds like something straight out of the Third Reich by the way.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Unfortunately we won't be in Munich those days. We'll be there 10-12 June.

I take it that Flaucher is the island to the east of the river and garden. There appears to be a beer garden there too. Is this right?

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 20, 2011

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

LaserWash posted:

Well, I told you we were prudes. :-P

We're staying near the Marienplatz so we'll have lots of other things to do if the English Garden thing doesn't work out.

Would you really avoid the garden just because there is a good chance that you'd have to see some naked people in the distance?

:psyboom:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

LaserWash posted:

Unfortunately we won't be in Munich those days. We'll be there 10-12 June.

I take it that Flaucher is the island to the east of the river and garden. There appears to be a beer garden there too. Is this right?

Yes. (The small gravel islands south of it are where most people are.) The beer garden is one of the better ones in Munich by the way.

Edit:
VVV Yeah, seems to be closed for the near future. VVV

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 20, 2011

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
It looks like the beergarden at zum Flaucher is closed for remodeling (???) as per their webpage. It doesn't say anything about when they are reopening.

I don't think we were planning on going that far south (it is kinda south of downtown, right?) anyway.

And, yes, we do have to avoid the nudists. My wife and I aren't like that and I don't feel like taking flak for something that I can't really control.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Hungry Gerbil posted:

:doh:

Born in Bavaria, never been there. That's what makes a true Bavarian. :smug:

Born in Bavaria, never been to Oktoberfest. That's what makes a true Bavarian :smug:
I've only been to Neuschwanstein because my non-Bavarian ex-girlfriend wanted to see it.

Or maybe it was more like:
:j:: "Is there anything interesting here?"
:v:: "Uhm... I don't know... I guess we could go to Neuschwanstein..."

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Well, if you go to the Englischer Garten you will probably see a naked person.

what the gently caress. I went to the garden just this evening and didn't see a single naked person. I feel screwed over here.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

the posted:

what the gently caress. I went to the garden just this evening and didn't see a single naked person. I feel screwed over here.

You'd probably have to be there when there is sun out, I guess?

Also: LaserWash, just ask for tap water in restaurants! Best case you get it for free, worst case they just say no (IIRC they are not really allowed to do this, though?).
Bringing your own water is definitely a no-go.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

elbkaida posted:

Also: LaserWash, just ask for tap water in restaurants! Best case you get it for free, worst case they just say no (IIRC they are not really allowed to do this, though?).

They have no legal responsibility to serve you tap water and can refuse or charge you money for it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Tap water is supposed to be free. Hell, I get tap water for free all the time at clubs, with or without spending money on other drinks. The most they should charge you is a cleaning fee of like 50 cents but I've yet to encounter that.

Just ask and you'll get it. Lots of places serve it no questions asked if you order something along it, especially wine and coffee. Never tried it with regular food or beer, but what the hell, you're drinking anyways. I think it's even supposed to be legally free as in they're not allowed to charge you for it save for the cleansing fee mentioned above.

As for the guy asking about avoiding naked people: are you serious?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Zwille posted:

As for the guy asking about avoiding naked people: are you serious?

:argh:

I know, I know.

So what about renting bikes. What do most places provide (if anything - helmets, locks, bags, etc.). We would like to rent bikes for the day, but don't want to pack more than we really need.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah well stop wearing spandex or tutus so they won't see your boner. I hear Lederhosen are pretty sturdy.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Does that really work?

http://www.zoll.de/english_version/g0_personal_property/index.html

I'd imagine so if you can make it look like it's your personal property you had in the US.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

the posted:

I didn't see any naked people when I was there either. There may have been some naked sunbathers way off in the distance but I don't remember either way. Naked people in the park doesn't mean there will be dick and tits right up in your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

Fasheem posted:

Naked people in the park doesn't mean there will be dick and tits right up in your face.

Of course not, you'd have to got to cologne to have that. :rimshot:

I guess I'm as dumbfounded as the rest of the thread what exactly is the problem with naked people?

I get being a prude to a certain extent but it comes of as fairly strange to just pick certain things you like about a country and completely ignore or even purposely avoid other aspects of it, especially when it's not forced on you (you can wear whatever you want in FKK-zones).

Those people are not running around naked because they get off on it, to an extent the FKK-Culture is a statement about the culture we live in and how being naked frees people from the shackles of modern society, it's about being free and being close to nature. I'm not saying that you should actively seek out naked people in the park as most of them are not exactly eye-candy (unless bavarian FKK-Culture is way different than the rest of the country) but once you realize that there is no sexual connotation to it at all there is no real reason to freak out about it. No matter how much of a prude you are, people are naked underneath their clothes (Yes, I know how stupid that sounds) and if you really have a problem with that it might be time to think about your morales.

Also if you ask for tap water people will think you are a cheapskate and judge you accordingly, in most cases you'll get it but it will be brought to you begrudgingly and most likely with a snark remark. But at least you don't really have to worry about the quality of the water it's great throughout the country, so go nuts on your vacation.

hankor fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 22, 2011