Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I bet you the nationals thought exactly the same thing about Bryce Harper this year and well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm not sure I want to start a SSS argument here, but consider running your simulation season 5000 more times.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

One hell of a cycle of contactolone during the offseason?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 29, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

RE: Scouting and random poo poo - I think always turn off scouting. The game will give you plenty of random changes to players.

With OOTP 17, I've been deleting the Chinese league, all the Indy leagues and the Australian League. Basically any league I don't think is around as good as the kbo or NPB. They'll never produce anyone good and they just bloat the game file and add tons of time to the sims.

I always turn off the option that generates international free agents randomly after the season. If you start an MLB game, you'll have like 1,000 free agents within a few off-seasons of starting. IFA (not amateurs but the guys generated after the season) players just bloat the file with players who aren't ever going to sign or retire.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 31, 2016

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I tried a couple of seasons with actual college/high school feeder leagues. It's a great idea on paper, as the draftees playing actual games adds realism.

However: A) it bloats the save files badly and b) I don't think the players develop all that much in these leagues.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hmm, I can't figure out why half my clubhouse has awful morale. I flipped to commissioner mode to check the numbers behind everything - I've got a lot of players who are at or near -500 team chemistry and then a lot who are at 0. None of them have the rear end in a top hat personality traits that I can see. The primary malcontent seems to be Fred McGriff who's tanked this year and is batting like .180. (I can't do anything with him since I'm pretty sure he's being paid more than the rest of my roster combined.) Other than that they're all pissed at the team's record, which is understandable since we're playing .400 ball.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Doltos posted:

I think the injuries are fine and add a bit of fun to the game too. That way you're not sitting on unbeatable teams that are stagnating. I like having to desperately find a replacement for my ace pitcher or losing a freshly signed guy to a year injury.

I get the randomness of baseball but the extremes are unrealistic in this game. I think it's safe to say that certain pro players have consistently proven themselves in real life enough to assume that they'd absolutely mash the league if you lined them up 1-4. They shouldn't all be finishing with either .220 averages or .330 averages. Also if a scout tells me a guy is a great contact hitter, his stats tell me he's a great contact hitter, and he gets to my team and puts up a .200 average, I'm going to be a little miffed and feel cheated.

I'm just saying they could have tightened up the extremes because right now it just feels like nothing I do in this game really matters.

Turn scouting accuracy up and Talent Change Randomness and Aging Speed down?

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hmm, I can't figure out why half my clubhouse has awful morale. I flipped to commissioner mode to check the numbers behind everything - I've got a lot of players who are at or near -500 team chemistry and then a lot who are at 0. None of them have the rear end in a top hat personality traits that I can see. The primary malcontent seems to be Fred McGriff who's tanked this year and is batting like .180. (I can't do anything with him since I'm pretty sure he's being paid more than the rest of my roster combined.) Other than that they're all pissed at the team's record, which is understandable since we're playing .400 ball.

Winning tends to solve this problem, but failing that, I find having at least one Captain on the team is the best option. Captains have Very High leadership and BNN flavor text like "A born leader" or "Has the heart of a warrior" instead of the usual Very High leadership guys which say something like, "Shows some leadership" or "Well respected by his teammates." When you acquire a Captain you get an email saying the players appreciate the new leadership in the clubhouse. You can identify them in the editor as well:

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Sweet Manny Machado hit the FA market suddenly at 28, I can swing a 5/$150 contract *machado is a 1-star by year two of the contract*

In my last season, Clayton Kershaw struck out 4700 batters, won 320 games and won the cy young and mvp like 13 times.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IMB posted:

In my last season, Clayton Kershaw struck out 4700 batters, won 320 games and won the cy young and mvp like 13 times.

drat, that's a hell of a season.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

drat, that's a hell of a season.

Woops *last sim*

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My last sim had Tony Zych somehow becoming the best reliever of all time

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
In other news, I misread this headline and sniggered like a child.

Edit: His nickname is "Dump Truck".

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IMB posted:

Sweet Manny Machado hit the FA market suddenly at 28, I can swing a 5/$150 contract *machado is a 1-star by year two of the contract*

When I start seasons in 2016, the FA contracts are even crazier than real life because teams will spend whatever money they have. 2 year $60 MM deal for Bautista to play in San Diego? Why not!?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Anything below like AA is a mystery to me, especially the international development teams or whatever. Is there a way to not have to worry about any of that and players can get moved up as needed? Also is it typical to only sign two or three draft picks? OOTP.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

beejay posted:

Anything below like AA is a mystery to me, especially the international development teams or whatever. Is there a way to not have to worry about any of that and players can get moved up as needed? Also is it typical to only sign two or three draft picks? OOTP.

You can assign minor league promotion/demotion to the AI managers. As for draft picks, are you picking guys with Very Hard/ Impossible signability?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My draft budget is always so high that I have no problems paying above slot for a few guys. Also after a certain number of rounds there are no signing bonuses except for the guys that need millions to not go to college (I never sign them, they just end up in my list because I auto-draft after six or seven rounds).

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Ok my current game must auto-draft because I just get a message that says "here's your draftees" and like 2-3 will say "very hard" and the rest all say "impossible" and I don't know how to deal with that.

Also my owner is bitching at me nonstop because I'm not "getting a Great Glove winner" - does that mean trading for or signing someone who won one in the past, or does he want someone on the team to win one? I have no reason to trade for or sign someone like that but he won't shut the gently caress up about it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

My draft budget is always so high that I have no problems paying above slot for a few guys. Also after a certain number of rounds there are no signing bonuses except for the guys that need millions to not go to college (I never sign them, they just end up in my list because I auto-draft after six or seven rounds).

I don't actually really understand slots. Are you required to pay a dude at least that much? Is it just the "assumed value" of any given draft order pick? My draft budget is something I routinely gently caress up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You're not required to pay anything, it's just the recommended bonus that someone taken with that pick should receive.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

You're not required to pay anything, it's just the recommended bonus that someone taken with that pick should receive.

Excellent. Thanks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah gently caress that if their demand is 100,000 and the slot is 1.5 mil they're getting a 90k offer.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OOTP 18 features Challenge mode, 3D highlight reels, tournaments, Negro leagues, and more!
Available March 24, 2017!
Pre-order now, save 20%, and get early access!
You could also get into the game as a draft prospect!
The Chicago Cubs' historic World Series win is still fresh in our minds, and we can't wait to see if they can repeat as champs in Out of the Park Baseball 18, the sequel to Metacritic's 2016 PC Game of the Year 2016!
We know you're excited too, and that's why we're now offering Out of the Park Baseball 18 for $31.99, a 20% discount off the full retail price. But make sure you place your pre-order now, because this deal is only available until Jan. 27! You'll also get access to the Gold Master version of the game on Monday, March 20, 4 days before its March 24 release date.
In addition, you'll be entered into an awesome contest: Five randomly chosen customers who pre-order by Jan. 27 will be added to OOTP 18 as draft prospects in the standard MLB game! We'll announce the winners on Jan. 29. Will you have an OOTP Hall of Fame career that you can brag about to your friends?

If you pre-order OOTP 18 between Jan. 28 and March 23, you'll receive a 10% discount ($34.99) and get access to the Gold Master version before release. Click here to pre-order for Linux.
Info for Steam customers: Unfortunately, due to technical reasons and a change in Steam policies, we have decided to no longer give away a free Steam key of the game for pre-order customers this year. The game will launch on Steam on March 24 with a 10% launch discount that will last for a week.
Join Markus For a Reddit AMA
And if you want to hear from OOTP creator Markus Heinsohn regarding this year's game, stop by r/baseball on Reddit at 12:00 PM Eastern time on Wednesday, Jan. 25 for an AMA (Ask Me Anything) session. You might even win a copy of OOTP 17, which was named Metacritic's 2016 PC Game of the Year.

*** New Features in OOTP Baseball 18 ***

2017 Opening Day Rosters
Our brand new 2017 roster sets include all Opening Day MLB rosters, as well as the complete minor league system down to rookie leagues, including independent leagues. All major league (and over a thousand minor league) player ratings are based on Dan Szymborski's popular ZiPS player projection system. The remaining minor league players are carefully rated by hand by our established research team.
Can the Chicago Cubs repeat as World Series winners, despite the loss of Aroldis Chapman and Dexter Fowler? Or did the Cleveland Indians' successful offseason set them up for at taking the World Series trophy home this year? Will the Boston Red Sox's rotation, anchored by Chris Sale and David Price, dominate in the AL East, or are the rebuilding Yankees already a contender? Which team will win the tight National League West Division, the powerhouse LA Dodgers, led by the best pitcher in baseball, Clayton Kershaw?

Of course, 8 international leagues (Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Australia, Italy, The Netherlands, Mexico and Cuba) and several international independent leagues return to OOTP 18 with accurate and projected 2017 rosters.

New Challenge! Game Mode and Online User Profiles

Ready for an extra challenge? Experience a new game mode in OOTP 18: Challenge! This mode can be enabled in newly created leagues (standard / historical / fictional) and adds a unique twist, along with new rewards, while playing OOTP.

Certain areas of the game are tightly controlled to prevent cheating and the game flow is optimized and more streamlined. Several new types of achievements and statistics are tracked in a new (optional) OOTP online user profile. Are you the best OOTP manager on the planet? Compare your skills to other OOTP gamers and find out how you stack up!
Improved 3D Mode & Game Highlight Reels

With even more ballpark detail than before, the 3D game mode in OOTP has taken another leap forward. More advanced player models and improved on-field movements let you view the action like never before. On top of that, you can optionally save all the 3D action highlights to rewatch the game or catch the highlight reel, no matter if those games were played out or simulated.

Tournaments & Fall Leagues
OOTP 18 now features custom and real world tournaments. Watch the best prospects play in the Arizona Fall League, or set up your own tournament pitting the best of each nation facing off against each other! Set up your own national or international tournaments, choose from different tournament modes, and manage your favorite nation to international glory.

Negro Leagues Added to Historical Minor Leagues
With the help of Seamheads.com, our historical database experts have been able to add most Negro leagues seasons to the historical minor league feature of Out of the Park Baseball 18, including accurate rosters and player statistics. In addition, we have added the Federal League as an unaffiliated minor league in the years 1914 and 1915.

Improved AI
A lot of work has gone into improving the AI throughout the game, resulting in the most challenging gameplay ever. The roster AI, trade AI, and in-game AI have been optimized and enhanced to reflect the latest tendencies (for example, the usage of closers in high-leverage games by certain managers).

Redesigned Injury System
The injury system in OOTP 18 has been reworked to be more realistic and interesting. A detailed injury history is tracked for players, the injury database has been enhanced, there are now nagging little long-term injuries, injuries to different body types have different long-term effects, injuries in historical leagues are more realistic, and much more.

Much More!
Every year we add many smaller features, and OOTP 18 is no exception. It includes:
The ability to retain player salaries in trades
New options for team promotions and relegations between leagues
Many 2017 CBA rule changes are incorporated in modern MLB games
Improved player morale / team chemistry system
Improved player creation & development system
Improved game recaps
Enhanced play-by-play text and league news
Beautiful new interface with three different skins
Much faster import speed of historical minor league seasons
...and more to be announced prior to release!

We can't wait to show you more in the coming weeks, including more OOTP 18 screenshots. How long until pitchers and catchers report? Let's play ball already!
The OOTP Developments Team

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is coming out at like the same time as Mass Effect so I'm probably just going to wait for the half off sale at the all-star break, which actually makes me kind of sad :(

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's legit exciting stuff.

Compare that to the crap rehash of the annual Football Manager update....they should be ashamed. OOTP is so awesome.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Is it weird that I'm most excited for the revamped injury system?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

not at all, I always set it to "low" because normal seemed like it was way too harsh, but low felt like it wasn't quite enough either.

Part of my strategy though has always been to do my best to avoid guys with even below average injury ratings or history.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Ouch, my bank account!

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Infidel Castro posted:

Is it weird that I'm most excited for the revamped injury system?

I would love more info on pitchers, pitch counts or something other then a dice roll.

I was playing as the Cubs in 2017, and My rotation was (Cubs farm is sick and AI sucks at trades)

1. Sale
2. Jose Fernandez
3. Lester
4. Arrieta
5. Hendricks

First week, Lester out for 5 months. A day later Fernandez gone for a year. May, Sale Tommy Johns. I had fun trying so salvage that season. Arrieta regressed so bad I cut him. Traded the last of my farm for Samardzija who won the Cy Young. I won a crappy NL Central, but lost to the Padres in NLDS.

My final Rotation was

1 Samardzija
2. Tanaka who was still a FA in April (Dumb AI)
3. Hendricks
4. Smyly
5. Michael Feliz from the Astros

Lester was never the same lost every thing had to cut him in 2018, Fernandez Stamina dropped into the 20s (Still Started him and got 90 pitches a game after that) Sale came back same as ever.

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 22, 2017

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
I just have 0 interest in dealing with injuries in a video game. I turn injuries to low and reset injury status every few weeks.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

not at all, I always set it to "low" because normal seemed like it was way too harsh, but low felt like it wasn't quite enough either.

Part of my strategy though has always been to do my best to avoid guys with even below average injury ratings or history.

Yeah, there's definitely a point between normal and low that would be the sweet spot.

I've always been mad at OOTP over how frequently injuries occur but, when I go back through the stats, a lot of times it's more fair than I thought. Only 15 shortstops played in 150 or more games in MLB last season so I can't really complain if mine plays 130-something.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure about the most recent version but I know in the previous versions the most realistic injury setting was one notch above default. it doesn't seem like baseball players get hurt all that often until you really look at guys careers and see how few times they play 150+ games.

I used to play multiplayer front office football and with injury settings on realistic it was just about enough to cause people to break into tears

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
I just would like more realistic diagnoses times and injury types. I had one guy with "shoulder inflammation" out for a week, then another guy with "shoulder inflammation" out for 3 months.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ScottyJSno posted:

I just would like more realistic diagnoses times and injury types. I had one guy with "shoulder inflammation" out for a week, then another guy with "shoulder inflammation" out for 3 months.

Were you playing as the Twins?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Why isn't there a fantasy baseball thread yet, yahoo fantasy drafts start tomorrow wooo

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Doghouse posted:

Why isn't there a fantasy baseball thread yet, yahoo fantasy drafts start tomorrow wooo

I want to play Fantasy baseball.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

bewbies posted:

I'm not sure about the most recent version but I know in the previous versions the most realistic injury setting was one notch above default. it doesn't seem like baseball players get hurt all that often until you really look at guys careers and see how few times they play 150+ games.

I used to play multiplayer front office football and with injury settings on realistic it was just about enough to cause people to break into tears

yeah i've always played on whatever the one above default is called and never thought it was unfair. any improvements to the details of the database and recovery times and nagging injuries and stuff like that are good but by the broadest "how often do people get injured" brush i can't imagine playing on low. there'd be no fires to put out at all.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
I tried to get Giancarlo the all-time HR record (in OOTP17) by trading for him and then continually extending him so I could get him 600 at bats as DH. He would hit .150 with a 50% strikeout rate, but add like 20 homers a year. I finally had to cut him loose because he was still 60 dongs short and I didn't feel like dragging his dead body around anymore. Trout also got over 700 but he retired as well.

IMB fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 26, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Doghouse posted:

Why so early? I don't think I did my draft last year til March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Doltos posted:

Why so early? I don't think I did my draft last year til March.

I guess I'm more obsessed than most. Though last year's thread opened in December.

• Locked thread