Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
On my 360, PS3, and smart TV, it only shows file of particular formats. Almost no mkvs show up, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

EC posted:

On my 360, PS3, and smart TV, it only shows file of particular formats. Almost no mkvs show up, for example.

Strange. For me it's doing things like showing two folders inside my FLAC directory when there are about 50. Something to do with Windows Media Connect I think.

modeski fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 30, 2012

widds2v
Aug 23, 2004
Sorry, I'm socially retarded.
Does anyone know how I could go about getting an HP MediaServer EX475 to work? I have no CDs for it and it has no drives. I have some spares I wouldn't mind throwing in there.

edit: More info.. I've read you can no longer get recovery discs from HP (I personally think that's borderline illegal but whatever). I honestly don't care what goes on it as long as I can get it to work and have a 4-bay NAS. A year or so ago I had read about people doing all sorts of things like loading linux distros, WHS2011, etc but some quick googling doesn't come up with any concrete.

widds2v fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 31, 2012

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

widds2v posted:

Does anyone know how I could go about getting an HP MediaServer EX475 to work? I have no CDs for it and it has no drives. I have some spares I wouldn't mind throwing in there.

What do you want to do with it? If you order a copy of WHS2011, you can do a USB install (install DVD -> ISO, ISO -> USB via windows USB tool, from a PC with a DVD drive). Stuff it full of drives, and baby, you've got a stew going.

widds2v
Aug 23, 2004
Sorry, I'm socially retarded.

Civil posted:

What do you want to do with it? If you order a copy of WHS2011, you can do a USB install (install DVD -> ISO, ISO -> USB via windows USB tool, from a PC with a DVD drive). Stuff it full of drives, and baby, you've got a stew going.

I think I'll give that a go. Noticed Newegg still has it for $49.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

widds2v posted:

I think I'll give that a go. Noticed Newegg still has it for $49.

WHS 2011 is pretty much fail. The only thing it does that Win 8 or 7 cannot is system backups and even then it cannot backup EFI (GPT) formatted disks. I am entirely not impressed with the system I built.

flink
Aug 30, 2003
superduperman
Did Storage Spaces ever get any better?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

flink posted:

Did Storage Spaces ever get any better?

I was really unhappy with it and ended up using a third party solution instead. Not very advanced or configurable, lacking a lot of the nice extras you see in third party stuff and performance wasn't great.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
So, I just built a WHS 2011 system and found out that it won't back up my main Win7 client machine because it has an SSD using GPT (1 UEFI partition, 1 System Reserved partition, 1 OS partition).

Is there a way to convert from GPT to MBR, or am I going to have to either a) reformat/partition and re-install Windows or b) use some other backup solution?

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 19, 2013

Crop Top Skank
Apr 4, 2007

I have a first-gen HP MediaSmart Server that I've been using since early 2009. I recently upgraded the amount of storage to 2.25 TB. I've periodically had backup issues but I've always found some way to resolve the issue. The most recent one was the worst because I had to delete all the backups for my main computer, reinstall the connector software, and back it up again from scratch.

What I'm most worried about, though, is the system drive on the server going kaput, because if I have to reinstall my copy of WHS it won't have the update that enables it to connect to 64-bit Windows, so I'll have to come up with an old XP machine or something just update it and get all my backups going again. Here's to using an EOL-ed backup solution!

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Tapedump posted:

So, I just built a WHS 2011 system and found out that it won't back up my main Win7 client machine because it has an SSD using GPT (1 UEFI partition, 1 System Reserved partition, 1 OS partition).

Is there a way to convert from GPT to MBR, or am I going to have to either a) reformat/partition and re-install Windows or b) use some other backup solution?

The official MS response is you can convert GPT > MBR as long as there are no volumes on the disk (so you'd lose the data) You can attempt this work around

http://www.firewing1.com/node/610#gpttombr

MS being unhelpful
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725797.aspx

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Thanks for the reply. Looks like trying to convert is more hassle than I am comfortable dealing with right now.

Since I have a functioning WHS v1 box with six months of backups of this Win7 GPT SDD system, I wonder if I couldn't just restore my most recent client backup from that old server to a MBR-repartitioned (or just plain new) SSD.

Any thoughts?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Tapedump posted:

Thanks for the reply. Looks like trying to convert is more hassle than I am comfortable dealing with right now.

Since I have a functioning WHS v1 box with six months of backups of this Win7 GPT SDD system, I wonder if I couldn't just restore my most recent client backup from that old server to a MBR-repartitioned (or just plain new) SSD.

Any thoughts?

That would be fine, since you're restoring from backup just blank the drive of any partition data before the restore and it will work.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Thank you again.

I took the opportunity to buy a larger SSD, so I'm going to try restoring to that. I hope it goes well.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Just a message to let anyone know, WHS 2011 doesn't work well with multiple server backup disks.

I had two 2 terabyte drives configured for backup.
WHS 2011 complained that one of the backup drives was getting low space.
I logged in to check, it had nearly filled up one of the drives, and hadn't touched the second one.
So I left it alone.
I come back to check later and it's deleted all the backups on the first drive and started to backup to it again.
The second drive is still empty.

Pretty poor solution there Microsoft. Investing in WHS 2011 was not a great decision, sigh.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The_Frag_Man posted:

Just a message to let anyone know, WHS 2011 doesn't work well with multiple server backup disks.

I logged in to check, it had nearly filled up one of the drives, and hadn't touched the second one.
So I left it alone.
I come back to check later and it's deleted all the backups on the first drive and started to backup to it again.

Pretty poor solution there Microsoft. Investing in WHS 2011 was not a great decision, sigh.

Luckly it was cheaper than even Windows 7 for me. Still MS completely destroyed the product.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

redeyes posted:

Luckly it was cheaper than even Windows 7 for me. Still MS completely destroyed the product.

See, this is why when I finally upgrade my main machine I'll probably stick with WHS V1 when I migrate my old mobo over to be my WHS, since it's got more SATA ports. Being functionally limited to 2TB drives isn't terrible, and the built-in pooling and backup and such are pretty nice. I expect that the new version would suit my needs well, but I've had the old one for 4+ years and it's just chugging along.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

The_Frag_Man posted:

So I left it alone.

Welcome to Windows Server Backup! You can specify as many destinations you want but it will always use the last selected unless the connected destination devices change. It will never rotate destinations and according to MS this is by design.

Also, using something like swappable drive caddies and want to add a few drives for rotating backups? They either need to all be connectd at once to configure through the GUI, or you have to add them through PowerShell by drive GUID if only one is able to be physically connected at once.

Still, at least it's free?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Terminal posted:

Welcome to Windows Server Backup! You can specify as many destinations you want but it will always use the last selected unless the connected destination devices change. It will never rotate destinations and according to MS this is by design.

Also, using something like swappable drive caddies and want to add a few drives for rotating backups? They either need to all be connectd at once to configure through the GUI, or you have to add them through PowerShell by drive GUID if only one is able to be physically connected at once.

Still, at least it's free?

It's not free.. WHS 2011 for me is a cheap version of Server for me. I actually enable RRAS and use my box for a router/firewall/QoS machine.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Just to jump back on something that was discussed previously, I've been digging around on the UEFI/GPT backup issue with regards to WHS 2011. I came across this Microsoft forum post about it. Towards the end is a response from a Susan Bradley indicating the problem is being worked on for a future update rollup. The last update rollup was #4 back in December. With any luck we might see the issue resolved sometime this year especially when Microsoft is offering to support WHS 2011 until 2016.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 24, 2013

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

THEY CALL HIM BOSS posted:

Just to jump back on something that was discussed previously, I've been digging around on the UEFI/GPT backup issue with regards to WHS 2011. I came across this Microsoft forum post about it. Towards the end is a response from a Susan Bradley indicating the problem is being worked on for a future update rollup. The last update rollup was #4 back in December. With any luck we might see the issue resolved sometime this year especially when Microsoft is offering to support WHS 2011 until 2016.

That would actually be amazingly nice. Come on MS..

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
In the next few weeks, I'll be upgrading my whsV1 home server to Server 2012 Essentials. I have about 3tb of data. I had planned on getting a 3tb external hdd to backup the data with my new operating system. Will I be able to backup the data from WHSv1 to the external 3tb drive or will I need to transfer everything through my desktop which is windows 8? I'm just going to be using robocopy to backup the data a single time.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

I've just realised that since Windows Media Player doesn't support FLAC, I can't use it to stream FLAC files from my WHS v1 box. This cannot stand. Can someone please tell me how I can stream FLACs from my WHS box to my receiver (Denon 2313)?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
What magic do I need to put on a Macbook Pro so it can see a WHSv1 box? I know nothing about Macs.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

EC posted:

What magic do I need to put on a Macbook Pro so it can see a WHSv1 box? I know nothing about Macs.

What do you mean by "see"?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Access the files and folders in the various shares.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It should show up on the sidebar in finder

If not, do Command-K or in Finder choose Go > “Connect to Server.” and type in "smb://SERVERNAME" or "smb://IPADDRESS"

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7116
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4011

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

modeski posted:

I've just realised that since Windows Media Player doesn't support FLAC, I can't use it to stream FLAC files from my WHS v1 box. This cannot stand. Can someone please tell me how I can stream FLACs from my WHS box to my receiver (Denon 2313)?

Will Playstation media server do it?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Coredump posted:

Will Playstation media server do it?

I don't have a Playstation, but I've discovered the Asset UPnP plug-in, and happily that has done the trick!

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Anyone use WebDAV?
I want to share my whole file structure with it.

Side note: when Microsoft say "Delete Symlink like you would any file" they don't mean select it and hit delete, bye bye 4TB of Videos (recovering now, slowly - Drive bender has so many files to sift through to restore a single thing.)

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Anybody had any luck getting win8 pro workstations to be accessed remotely via the "Computers" page in WHS v1's remote access? My workstation shows up in the list, but shows up as "Access disabled". Remote access is in fact enabled on the workstation, and the "Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication" box is unchecked, and my user account is listed as having access to the machine. I can also remote into the workstation from another machine on the LAN without any issue.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

modeski posted:

You cannot do this. Microsoft simply does not support FLAC in any way shape or form. It is a major reason I can't use any of their media software.

One Arm Manny
May 17, 2008

"Modeski posted:

I just read about this the other day while looking for some other flac stuff. It's supposed to let Windows Media Player play flac. So it might not work for streaming to your reciever, but it's free, so worth a shot.
http://www.xiph.org/dshow/downloads/

One Arm Manny fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 15, 2013

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

redeyes posted:

You cannot do this. Microsoft simply does not support FLAC in any way shape or form. It is a major reason I can't use any of their media software.

One Arm Manny posted:

I just read about this the other day while looking for some other flac stuff. It's supposed to let Windows Media Player play flac. So it might not work for streaming to your reciever, but it's free, so worth a shot.
http://www.xiph.org/dshow/downloads/

Hey guys, thanks for your input. Just wanted to update this for anyone who might be in the same boat. I found a program called Asset UPnP DLNA (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm) which does exactly what I need. Piece of cake to set up and I'm happily listening to FLAC audio as we speak.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

modeski posted:

Hey guys, thanks for your input. Just wanted to update this for anyone who might be in the same boat. I found a program called Asset UPnP DLNA (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm) which does exactly what I need. Piece of cake to set up and I'm happily listening to FLAC audio as we speak.

HA! So this converts on the fly to mp3.. and it works perfectly. YOU RULE! I have been trying to do this for years, and finally I can. Thank you so much.

[edit] Windows media player seems retarded and cannot pull up the 'shares' via dlna/upnp. Other programs work perfectly though, including my android tablet.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 14, 2013

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So my WHS box has 4 drives in it. I have duplication set up on almost every folder inside. One drive has died and many folders are now yellow status with Failing (Check Health) notices. Loading folders in many cases leads to empty files/please attach messages. This is the first time I've had a drive fail for this system.

In order to get things back in order should I remove the failed drive from the drive pool, and then go into settings Backup Database Repair? Or am I wrapping this drive up and putting it in the freezer overnight?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

zerox147o posted:

So my WHS box has 4 drives in it. I have duplication set up on almost every folder inside. One drive has died and many folders are now yellow status with Failing (Check Health) notices. Loading folders in many cases leads to empty files/please attach messages. This is the first time I've had a drive fail for this system.

In order to get things back in order should I remove the failed drive from the drive pool, and then go into settings Backup Database Repair? Or am I wrapping this drive up and putting it in the freezer overnight?

Oh drat. Which program are you using for folder duplication? Stablebit or are you on WHSv1 and you're using the built in folder duplication?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Coredump posted:

Oh drat. Which program are you using for folder duplication? Stablebit or are you on WHSv1 and you're using the built in folder duplication?

Built in duplication. I have the thing powered down and the failed drive currently removed on my desk.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm on WHS2011 so at this point I can't give any real advice, sorry. Good luck though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

zerox147o posted:

I'm still running v1 with a lot of disks so i might be able to help. IF at all possible try the freezer trick and if the drive is recognised by the server and it shows no file conflicts remove it from the server via the console.

I also have a file on my whs desktop called check drives.cmd which i think i got from https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/531 when i had some similar problems a while ago. Running that might show up some actual errors, other than the generic failed from the whs console, which could be of help. Also the drive is ntfs formated so sticking it in another machine to recover any missing data is also an option, as a change of machine might also help.

• Locked thread