Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't believe they made The Punishers the bad guys in Old Man Logan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

It makes sense. I mean, Frank does have a history of shooting Wolverines face and balls off and then parking a steamroller on him and all.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

site posted:

It's apparently in other books too judging from the Civil War previews.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

gfanikf posted:

It's apparently in other books too judging from the Civil War previews.

Yeah in at least one other SW book Castle is a bad guy.

Now I'm just glad they care enough about the character to make sure he's featured.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
So has the current run of Punisher gotten any better? I dropped it like 3 issues back cause I just wasn't enjoying it any more. I'm wondering if its worth just picking up what I missed just to finish out the collection of this run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BlackCircle posted:

So has the current run of Punisher gotten any better? I dropped it like 3 issues back cause I just wasn't enjoying it any more. I'm wondering if its worth just picking up what I missed just to finish out the collection of this run.

From what I've heard from E&C and others in this forum, don't bother. Collecting is a bad habit, anyway.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlackCircle posted:

It's not that bad...but it's not overly good either. Last issue is hilariously screwy.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's not worth picking up you won't remember it a week later, I don't.

Electro, cartels, lady with a skull ring who was maybe a cop? :shrug: Your collection will be complete without this forgettable stretch of bubkiss.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It was pretty bland and not worth it if you didn't like the first three.

Misinterpreted what you said, if you're only three from the end wait till the trade comes out and read it while at b&n or something lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bad cop Shane from the Walking Dead is Frank Castle

Personally, I don't think it's a great fit.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

His nose and ears together is...weird

Wish they got the guy that did this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I too wish there was a Punisher adaptation starring Thomas Jane.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bet he's pissed he got passed over for the job again.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Bet he's pissed he got passed over for the job again.
I certainly appreciate his enthusiasm, but I don't think he's a very good Punisher.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

redbackground posted:

I certainly appreciate his enthusiasm, but I don't think he's a very good Punisher.

Yeah me neither

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

site posted:

Yeah me neither

Ditto, Dolph and Ray he was not.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

gfanikf posted:

Ditto, Dolph and Ray he was not.

He was much better than both of those people. Ray could have been great but was given trash to work with.

This new guy looks like Castle, but I've never seen him act in anything before. The thing that upsets me is that they cast so young. I was hoping that if anyone would take a chance on doing 60 something year old Punisher it would be Marvel themselves, but I guess not.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheJoker138 posted:

He was much better than both of those people. Ray could have been great but was given trash to work with.

This new guy looks like Castle, but I've never seen him act in anything before. The thing that upsets me is that they cast so young. I was hoping that if anyone would take a chance on doing 60 something year old Punisher it would be Marvel themselves, but I guess not.

Almost 40 is young now?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Almost 40 is young now?

For a Vietnam veteran, yes. Which is why I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say we should all get prepared for either ex-cop Frank Castle or gulf war veteran Frank Castle again.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

For a Vietnam veteran, yes. Which is why I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say we should all get prepared for either ex-cop Frank Castle or gulf war veteran Frank Castle again.

They will go for the Ultimate one and that one will be a cop.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah, that would be my guess as well. Especially with all the stuff about dirty cops they set up in the previous season.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobkatt013 posted:

That or do an Iraqi/Afghan upgrade.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If he's not a Vietnam vet, then go ahead and make him an ex cop who realized how loving lovely and dirty cops are, because Desert Storm or Afghani war veteran doesn't carry nearly the weight that a Vietnam vet does.

Plus it reduces the likelihood of having too much jerking off of the marines. I could go an entire lifetime without more of that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

If he's not a Vietnam vet, then go ahead and make him an ex cop who realized how loving lovely and dirty cops are, because Desert Storm or Afghani war veteran doesn't carry nearly the weight that a Vietnam vet does.

Plus it reduces the likelihood of having too much jerking off of the marines. I could go an entire lifetime without more of that.

The Ultimate one was an ex-cop whose family was killed by corrupt cops that he planned to expose.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

:lol:
That's never going to happen with Frank (barring a few minor examples like the Ultimate one...and even with the cop example I could see being a Marine before also being tossed in) in the mainstream books, him being a Marine I'd a huge part of his mythos, because in part of the lore of the Marine Corp. Lord knows Ennis's upcoming Castle stuff is going to incorporate it.

Also when I said Iraqi I mean 03 not 91. I also disagree that Iraq/Afghanistan can have the impact of Vietnam. Since Frank was never a conscript, that key difference between those wars isn't a factor. A lot of the other similarities in soldiers and wars seem to be looping back. I agree Desert Storm or say Panama wouldn't work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

The Ultimate one was an ex-cop whose family was killed by corrupt cops that he planned to expose.

Yes, and that's taken directly from a What If. Both of them have the major difference that Punisher doesn't have his weird "I don't murder cops" rule.

I hope he murders cops.

gfanikf posted:

Lord knows Ennis's upcoming Castle stuff is going to incorporate it.

Ennis is like 50% of the reason I never want to hear about marines again. Soldiers are just dudes who shoot people for a living, it's as alien to me as fetishizing traffic cops or gym teachers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Literally the youngest he could be and still be an in-the-poo poo Vietnam vet is sixty years old.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zoux posted:

Literally the youngest he could be and still be an in-the-poo poo Vietnam vet is sixty years old.

I smell a Frank and Cap Geriatric team up series!

Actually I'd love that if only for the reason the Franks views of Cap and vise versa make for interesting story possibilities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

In just glad we're not getting the Punisher show Marvel pitched to Fox a year or two back that was a police procedural where Frank was a still active cop who would go out and murder bad guys who fell through the cracks of the system, like Dexter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
For me, one of the things I didn't like about Ultimate Castle is his sadism. When Fury gets him out of jail, Frank lists of a bunch of stuff to torture prisoners with, and that felt totally unlike Frank. The Punisher was always a mission, a sense of duty (whether right or wrong) and he took no real pleasure in what he does (which helped in making him not just look like a psychopath).

I hope if they go with Ult Castle that they drop that.

zoux posted:

It worked in MAX just fine.

site fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 10, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

zoux posted:

Yeah and that would be loving awesome.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

zoux posted:

I always thought that was the point of the Max series. Frank is super old but he is still being the Punisher because thats his mission.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Right, but the TV show isn't a 1-to-1 adaptation of the Max run.

We were talking about if Frank is going to be a Vietnam vet in the show and the casting of Berenthal means that is not going to be the case.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

zoux posted:

Right, but the TV show isn't a 1-to-1 adaptation of the Max run.

We were talking about if Frank is going to be a Vietnam vet in the show and the casting of Berenthal means that is not going to be the case.

Yeah, in terms of the show you're probably right, although I still think the concept of being a an ex cop with access and ability with all sorts of weaponry is kinda funky.

Unless they streamline him into just using basic off the shelf stuff.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Yeah, in terms of the show you're probably right, although I still think the concept of being a an ex cop with access and ability with all sorts of weaponry is kinda funky.

Unless they streamline him into just using basic off the shelf stuff.

It always made sense to me that Frank just re-appropriated whatever he took off all the mooks he killed, who were generally well-supplied.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

redbackground posted:

It always made sense to me that Frank just re-appropriated whatever he took off all the mooks he killed, who were generally well-supplied.

Yeah, I mean, they explain it like that in the comics. But they'll have to establish that in the show otherwise it's just gonna be like, "where'd a cop get all these guns from?"

E:I guess if they have the Punisher show up as if he's always been there they can skip that. We'll see how they play it when they introduce him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, they could just show him looting the place after he kills a bunch of gangsters and that would be enough.

But yeah, I've honestly kinda figured he'd be in Daredevil season 2, simply because season 1 was also Kingpin's origin story and Kingpin is just as much of a major villain for Castle, if not moreso.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They could just say he was a cop in Pennsylvania, problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I suppose a cop on the edge in a gritty urban hellhole like Daredevil's Hell's Kitchen could probably end up with quite the arsenal if he knew who to hit first.

It does kind of make me want to see a version of the Punisher set somewhere with strict gun control laws, where it'd be a big deal if somebody had a pistol, let alone a tricked-out machine gun or something.

• Locked thread