Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ross and the other trainees are only good if you really want them to be. I like using them, but they're kind of obnoxious to train if you aren't sitting in the tower feeding them baby zombies. Zombabies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

a spot on the bench, usually

hosed up, please do not disrespect Kieran in this thread

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

In my run of PoR, Kieran was pretty good but Oscar was mediocrity epitomized.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Cake Attack posted:

hosed up, please do not disrespect Kieran in this thread

i'll respect kieran when he starts not sucking

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i only have room for one hilarious-but-mediocre unit in my front line and devdan is funnier than kieran

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kieran is the best non-flying unit other than Titania and maybe Oscar.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

kieran is good though

he's an axe paladin in PoR, that's more than enough

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Kieran is the best non-flying unit other than Titania and maybe Oscar.

Astrid.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
counterpoint: if i use kieran's like-oscar-but-with-worse-accuracy face that is one less slot for samurai, tigers, or devdan

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

alcharagia posted:

a spot on the bench, usually

what the gently caress

I like Astrid too!!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Guys I have a secret I gotta get off my chest.

I've always hated cavaliers and paladins.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I like Astrid too!!!

astrid is good and on my team, but she is also not the best

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Looper posted:

You are playing the wrong series in that case, buddy.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Endorph posted:

but what do you give kieran

More axes!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i like cavs and pals in moderation. like in new mystery of the emblem, sirius? dude rules. but like hell i'm gonna use roshea or vyland or whoever the gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

play... uhh...

fe5 i guess?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

astrid is good and on my team, but she is also not the best

Once you promote her so she's not restricted to bows she is the best land unit. Still can't touch Marcia though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Looper posted:

I don't like them much either, but they're the golden children of the series. I generally only try and use one in my playthroughs.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

play... uhh...

fe5 i guess?

carion and fergus are very cool

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

How many games in the series is a cavalier or paladin not the best unit? All I can think of is 5 (probably Safy but Asvel for a combat unit), 6 (Miredy), 9 (Marcia but you could argue Titania), 10 (Haar), 11 (Caeda, who will probably spend some time as a cav for the extra strength), 12 (MU could be a cav but it's probably not optimal and ignoring MU leaves Palla) and 13 (see previous MU but this time arguably with Fred in second.) This is more than half the series now that I'm thinking about it but a ton of those have cavs in second.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Chevailiers and paladins are good but the other units like Swordmasters are way cooler so I like using them more.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Are we just talking straight up stats, or utility across the whole game?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Haar ain't close to the best unit if we're counting the entire game.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Tae posted:

Haar ain't close to the best unit if we're counting the entire game.

He flies and hes basically invincible, what else do you want?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the best unit in 10 is Danved

he's pretty amazing

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Wait, people decide what characters they want to use based on who's better than who by looking up all the stats online instead of picking the people with funny faces or cool personalities? :wtc:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Looper posted:

Don't use them, then. :)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cake Attack posted:

the best unit in 10 is Danved

he's pretty amazing

What was his deal? They took out support convos for some reason and they played up this "is he the guy from Path of Radiance or no?" pretty much every scene he's in but they never delivered on it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

Wait, people decide what characters they want to use based on who's better than who by looking up all the stats online instead of picking the people with funny faces or cool personalities? :wtc:

Neither, you pick them based on which the RNG hasn't decided it hates on that particular playthrough.

I don't care how much you like whoever, if they get one stat level ups five times in a row they're hitting the bench.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't care who is the "Best" in fire emblem because im just fighting robot controlled units. As long as they're not garbage and i like them, hell, I'll use em

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Austrian mook posted:

This is Fire Emblem so cool personalities are nearly non-existant. For me, if you suck, your rear end is leaving my army.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Momomo posted:

This is Fire Emblem so cool personalities are nearly non-existant. For me, if you suck, your rear end is leaving my army.

What makes you think this?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Momomo posted:

hang out with devdan

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

This is Fire Emblem so cool personalities are nearly non-existant.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I choose characters depending on if they have supports with the other people i'm using. Because it gives both mechanical benefits and character development. :)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I choose characters depending on if they have supports with the other people i'm using. Because it gives both mechanical benefits and character development. :)

Yeah this too

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

SyntheticPolygon posted:

When I was a kid, I used to play Fire Emblem 7 and imagine the little characters talking to eachother on the battlefield, like a kid playing with action figures or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

What was his deal? They took out support convos for some reason and they played up this "is he the guy from Path of Radiance or no?" pretty much every scene he's in but they never delivered on it.
spoilers; he was the guy from path of radiance

im sorry to tell you this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Endorph posted:

spoilers; he was the guy from path of radiance

im sorry to tell you this

Okay cool, it's been a while since I played FE10. Usually when I go "It's time to play Fire Emblem on my TV I just default to Path of Radiance.