Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero VGS posted:

I found one of the things I was looking for, a Z-Wave Plus CO2 sensor with alarm: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MCO-HOME-CO2-Sensor-MH9-CO2-Z-Wave-Plus-/112114554811?epid=0&hash=item1a1a8c57bb:g:elwAAOSw5ClXxaM6

Apparently that same company is working on a 10-in-1 model:

http://www.mcohome.com/show.php?id=107

... which will track temperature, humidity, PM2.5, VOC, PIR motion, ultra sonic motion, light intensity, noise, CO2, and smoke, all over Z-Wave Plus. I'm asking them when it'll be available.

I have to ask the stupid question, are you sure you wanted a CO2 detector? CO is the one most people are concerned about in a home, and I ask because a lot of people confuse the two. Unless you have a large kegerator or soda fountain system in your basement you probably don't have to be concerned about CO2 levels, where anyone with combustion-powered appliances or heating should definitely have CO detectors.

If you do actually want CO2 for reasons like that or just because it's a stat to monitor for nerd reasons then that looks like a pretty neat box as long as you're in one of the countries it's designed for. If you're in the US Sprint has licenses in band 26 and 868 MHz falls right in the middle of the downlink range for that band. If they have a tower near you using that range you could see interference or even end up causing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

I have to ask the stupid question, are you sure you wanted a CO2 detector? CO is the one most people are concerned about in a home, and I ask because a lot of people confuse the two. Unless you have a large kegerator or soda fountain system in your basement you probably don't have to be concerned about CO2 levels, where anyone with combustion-powered appliances or heating should definitely have CO detectors.

If you do actually want CO2 for reasons like that or just because it's a stat to monitor for nerd reasons then that looks like a pretty neat box as long as you're in one of the countries it's designed for. If you're in the US Sprint has licenses in band 26 and 868 MHz falls right in the middle of the downlink range for that band. If they have a tower near you using that range you could see interference or even end up causing it.

I need a CO2 monitor eventually, not for my house right now, but because I'm building a superinsulated camper-trailer that is 100% air tight except for a pair of heat recovery ventilators. My plan was to get a smart CO2 alarm and a second cheaper dumb digital alarm for redundancy. If both ventilators somehow failed, I wouldn't exactly suffocate overnight, but it would not be good for the ol' brain.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
What hubs are folks using? Wink, Iris, Smart Things, Home Assistant?

I started with Wink, it wouldn't work with my First Alert ZCombo Smoke/Co detectors, so I moved to SmartThings. Got most everything working in SmartThings except figured out automating things like turning on spotlights when you come home and stuff was a bitch. Discovered Home Assistant with the added benefit of supporting miLights without having jump through hoops and was sold. Best part about Home Assistant is it supports SmartThings and Wink. Have the Wink in an outbuilding controlling lights and locks and SmartThings still controls the Z-wave mesh in the main house.

My one gripe is if I reboot the Home Assistant box the mosquito MQTT broker doesn't seem to start like it should.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

A RaspberryPi with a Zwave USB stick running eDomoticz to control Zwave stuff, and a HomeKit bridge (homebridge) along with some plugins to provide HomeKit control of my Zwave switches, Harmony remote, and Nest. (The various Harmony scenes are surfaced to Homekit/Siri as light switches, so I can use Siri to do things like "Siri, turn on Apple TV in the living room.")

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero VGS posted:

I need a CO2 monitor eventually, not for my house right now, but because I'm building a superinsulated camper-trailer that is 100% air tight except for a pair of heat recovery ventilators. My plan was to get a smart CO2 alarm and a second cheaper dumb digital alarm for redundancy. If both ventilators somehow failed, I wouldn't exactly suffocate overnight, but it would not be good for the ol' brain.

Ok, that makes sense. An oxygen level sensor might be a better choice in that situation because that would measure what's actually most important rather than potential buildup of a single gas. That said those are really hard to search for because the results get polluted with automotive sensors and blood oximeters.

I'd also look in to somehow directly monitoring the ventilation itself and just alarming if that fails. Depending on how smart the units you're using are there might be native fault detection or some kind of air flow meters could be placed in the path.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

When I got into Hue a year back I got one full color bulb, and honestly it feels like the biggest waste of money I spent out of all the somewhat overpriced smart home components I've gotten. I have a bunch of hue whites, and now any bulb I get is the hue ambiance. The ambiance one covers all the color temps and dimming needs you could have without the premium cost for wimpy and dull random colors that we honestly never use once the coolness factor wore off after an hour or two.

I would be pretty hesitant to get a bulb at only 600 lumens as opposed to 800, but that is because most of my house lighting is in single bulb table lamps. As it is sometimes 800 feels just a hair not bright enough on my hue white bulbs, but color temp control on the ambiance does alleviate that a bit if is really jack up the blue tone.

I'm a little more positive on 600 lumen colored Hues (like I still enjoy them), but I have a couple 800s and they just look way better.

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 24, 2017

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kalman posted:

A RaspberryPi with a Zwave USB stick running eDomoticz to control Zwave stuff, and a HomeKit bridge (homebridge) along with some plugins to provide HomeKit control of my Zwave switches, Harmony remote, and Nest. (The various Harmony scenes are surfaced to Homekit/Siri as light switches, so I can use Siri to do things like "Siri, turn on Apple TV in the living room.")

This thread has surpassed my nerd levelness. Maybe.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kalman posted:

I'm really impressed. I knew it was possible but didn't know anyone who's done it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Apparently that same company is working on a 10-in-1 model:

http://www.mcohome.com/show.php?id=107

... which will track temperature, humidity, PM2.5, VOC, PIR motion, ultra sonic motion, light intensity, noise, CO2, and smoke, all over Z-Wave Plus. I'm asking them when it'll be available.

Spot on what I'd like too as a backup to the Nest and monitoring for the kids rooms. Somewhat on the pricy side based on the price of the existing model, but it's not like this hobby is cheap. Only wish it also did CO (I. E. Carbon Monoxide)

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Heners_UK posted:

Spot on what I'd like too as a backup to the Nest and monitoring for the kids rooms. Somewhat on the pricy side based on the price of the existing model, but it's not like this hobby is cheap. Only wish it also did CO (I. E. Carbon Monoxide)

Yea, this device is odd. Id rather it not do smoke if it doesn't do CO so no one thinks they can use this device as a life safety tool in lieu of a legit smoke/CO detector. All the other sensors are what would fall under QOL, so it would be better to just focus on that and not confuse the issue by adding one life safety sensor.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

[quote="“Rick”" post="“476704509”"]
I’m really impressed. I knew it was possible but didn’t know anyone who’s done it.
[/quote]

It honestly isn't that bad to setup - mostly pretty well documented. The Nest integration is the most annoying part (you need to register for Nest API info, though detailed instructions exist).

Probably took an hour or two of screwing around in a terminal?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can you guys tell me if it's possible to do the following things with my new Hue and iPhone:

1. I put two bulbs in my living room and one in my bedroom. I would like the living room to turn on automagically when I'm in the living room, and my bedroom to turn on when I'm in my bedroom. I'm guessing this isn't going to be possible without multiple gateways but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

2. I have a light alarm set to start fading in at 6am and fully on at 6:30am, and then turn off at 7:30am when I leave. Is it possible to make it start changing colors, say at 7am start fading to a red color so I know to get ready to leave? I guess I could just set two alarms to do this one after another but maybe there's a better way.

What are some other "out of the box" things I can do with a Hue ad iPhone, because I can't really think of anything else but I'm not a very creative person.

Also what's the purpose of HomeKit? It's a bit annoying syncing between the Hue app and HomeKit and I'm honestly not sure what HomeKit can do for me that the Hue app can not.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Can’t answer the two questions, but you can kind of think as HomeKit as software that lets you use your AppleTV (or a dedicated iPad) as a top-level hub, like a SmartThings hub or an Echo device.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The appeal of HomeKit is Siri integration, really.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Echo isn't really a hub the same way SmartThings is.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Your lightbulb is sending gigs of traffic?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Burt Sexual posted:

Your lightbulb is sending gigs of traffic?

It might be passing traffic locally, for instance it could be forwarding snippets from the security cameras in a kind of mesh... On the other hand, Google.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can you guys tell me if it's possible to do the following things with my new Hue and iPhone:

1. I put two bulbs in my living room and one in my bedroom. I would like the living room to turn on automagically when I'm in the living room, and my bedroom to turn on when I'm in my bedroom. I'm guessing this isn't going to be possible without multiple gateways but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

2. I have a light alarm set to start fading in at 6am and fully on at 6:30am, and then turn off at 7:30am when I leave. Is it possible to make it start changing colors, say at 7am start fading to a red color so I know to get ready to leave? I guess I could just set two alarms to do this one after another but maybe there's a better way.

What are some other "out of the box" things I can do with a Hue ad iPhone, because I can't really think of anything else but I'm not a very creative person.

Also what's the purpose of HomeKit? It's a bit annoying syncing between the Hue app and HomeKit and I'm honestly not sure what HomeKit can do for me that the Hue app can not.

1. is possible with hue motion sensor (allegedly, I haven't tried it, but it seems easy). If you don't want to go that route I'm pretty sure people have accomplished similar with audrino or raspberry pi. Although it might cost you a lot more to do that.

2. There was something similar to what you were requesting on Hue Labs for a while, but I don't think it is still there. You would probably have to do separate alarms without that.

If you don't care about Siri, or controlling your lights via control center, then homekit integration is not that important to you, if the lights are the only smart object you have. Integrating different smart stuff made by different and getting it to work together rather seamlessly is where it shines to me (and I'm sure Alexa and Google home do that well too).

Kalman posted:

It honestly isn't that bad to setup - mostly pretty well documented. The Nest integration is the most annoying part (you need to register for Nest API info, though detailed instructions exist).

Probably took an hour or two of screwing around in a terminal?

That doesn't sound so bad! I don't live in a place where I can use a smart thermostat but I figure eventually it'll happen.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Amazon unveiled a spate of new Echo devices today. One interesting one is repackaging the original Echo as the new Echo Plus. It looks like it will retail at $150.00, and for that extra $50.00 over their new mainline Echo is an integrated Zigbee radio, and extra hub like functionality to compete with Wink/SmartThings hubs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

They announced this thing like a year ago, and though it's still not available, but...the awesome set top box that is the Shield TV is coming out (soon?) with a SmartThings dongle that will make it act like a full standalone SmartThings hub. The dongle will be $15 as part of a launch promotion and then go up to $40.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

They announced this thing like a year ago, and though it's still not available, but...the awesome set top box that is the Shield TV is coming out (soon?) with a SmartThings dongle that will make it act like a full standalone SmartThings hub. The dongle will be $15 as part of a launch promotion and then go up to $40.

Is there a new Nvidia Shield TV?
Ive got an old one and the battery on the remote (non-removeable) doesn't seem to charge. Is that getting updated to have the SmartThings code?

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Amazon unveiled a spate of new Echo devices today. One interesting one is repackaging the original Echo as the new Echo Plus. It looks like it will retail at $150.00, and for that extra $50.00 over their new mainline Echo is an integrated Zigbee radio, and extra hub like functionality to compete with Wink/SmartThings hubs.

I'm curious about this as I'd like to streamline things a bit. That said, existing echoes are about to get an upgrade to handle routines. Sounds like they are coming next month.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

housefly posted:

I'm curious about this as I'd like to streamline things a bit. That said, existing echoes are about to get an upgrade to handle routines. Sounds like they are coming next month.

Yep, sounds like the smarts software upgrade is across the line which makes sense. So the only unique smart home trait of the Plus will be the Zigbee Radio. Not enough to get me to buy a new Plus, since most of my stuff is hue which already has a hub. It will however be very interesting to see if Amazon making a stand on Zigbee over Z-wave will have any ripple effects on which standard moves forward as the dominant one over the next few years.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
So does this mean with the echo pro i can control various devices without purchasing the extra hub? Specifically Ive looked at august locks in the past but was turned off by having to spend another $80 to get it connnected to homekit and alexa. If this eliminates the need for the extra equipment i can see myself getting one (even though i already own an echo plus five dots).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

deong posted:

Is there a new Nvidia Shield TV?
Ive got an old one and the battery on the remote (non-removeable) doesn't seem to charge. Is that getting updated to have the SmartThings code?

There is a newer one that came out in 2017..but its basically the same thing as the pre-2017 version just with a smaller form factor. The smartthings dongle should work with either.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Keystoned posted:

So does this mean with the echo pro i can control various devices without purchasing the extra hub? Specifically Ive looked at august locks in the past but was turned off by having to spend another $80 to get it connnected to homekit and alexa. If this eliminates the need for the extra equipment i can see myself getting one (even though i already own an echo plus five dots).

This is the use case yes.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I'm having a weird issue with Google Home and SmartThings. In the Google Home app all my SmartThings devices got moved to a "Virtual and other devices" category. I think that's odd, so I go to the SmartThings app and uninstall the Google and Google Assistant SmartApps, re-link my Google Home app to SmartThings, and now I have everything listed twice, once under "SmartThings Devices" and once under "Virtual and other devices". This is effectively making voice command useless since when I say, for example, turn off the kitchen lights it says it cant because it doesn't know which kitchen lights I'm referring to. I've tried linking and un-linking, I hard reset my Google Home, uninstalled and re-installed the Google Home app and I have no idea what to try next. Has anyone else seen this?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

You can preorder the smartthings dongle for the Shield TV now. Basically, you're getting the SmartThing hub for $15.

They've got a couple of kits with some bulbs and a motion sensor if you want to get them discounted as well.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Public Service Announcement: The Alexa implementation on the Ecobee4 is garbage. Buy a 3 and an Echo Dot.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Papa John Misty posted:

Public Service Announcement: The Alexa implementation on the Ecobee4 is garbage. Buy a 3 and an Echo Dot.

Is it a lack in voice recognition? Wouldn't be surprised if the microphones are pretty second fiddle on that thing.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Alexa somehow triggers way too many false positives (things on TV that have the cadence of "Alexa") and yet fails to understand given commands really often. It also throws "I don't understand" or "I can't do that right now" a fair portion of the time.

The Echo Dot in my bedroom does what I'm telling the Ecobee to do more often than the Ecobee itself. And since the Ecobee doesn't support ESP, they both trigger simultaneously if I'm loud. With different responses.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Here's a kind of ugly z-wave switch for $12, it's a good deal:

https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-RF9501...ds=EASTON+ZWAVE

It was $7 ten minutes ago and I bought too, but you know how Amazon works.

I figure it's ugly, but I can use it for a couple switches I have in my basement that you never see.

I have a question about exterior switches, I have this outside:

I see that it's just a regular switch inside a box and the outside lever just flips it. I guess I could replace the switch with a z-wave switch of the same style right?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Or change the cover for the exterior box: http://www.homedepot.com/p/BELL-1-Gang-Horizontal-Vertical-Weatherproof-Universal-Device-Flip-Lid-Covers-MX1050S/202266482

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Careful, only the tan color that's currently $22 is RF-equipped. It's annoying that amazon grouped them as one product.

For weird situations like your outdoor thing, one option are z-wave relay modules. A couple of companies make them in either single or dual versions. They just sit in the junction box and your dumb switch becomes a low-voltage toggle.

I used one where I had a single-gang box but wanted separate z-wave control of a light and ceiling fan.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Papa John Misty posted:

Agreed 1000%

Mine is on permanent mute.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

paternity suitor posted:

Agreed 1000%

Mine is on permanent mute.

And conveniently the Mute makes it glow red forever. I don't know if completely unlinking Alexa prevents any Alexa integration or if I can rig up IFTTT or something...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Papa John Misty posted:

Alexa somehow triggers way too many false positives (things on TV that have the cadence of "Alexa") and yet fails to understand given commands really often. It also throws "I don't understand" or "I can't do that right now" a fair portion of the time.

The Echo Dot in my bedroom does what I'm telling the Ecobee to do more often than the Ecobee itself. And since the Ecobee doesn't support ESP, they both trigger simultaneously if I'm loud. With different responses.

The Ecobee 4 is the first device using the "Cloud-Based Wake Word Verification" feature where hardware to assist with the recognition of the wake word isn't used like Amazon's Echo products use, instead it does some half-assed check for something that sounds like "Alexa" and feeds the audio to the cloud to verify. That could possibly improve in the future as Amazon tunes the cloud-based recognition although it apparently will always light up when sending audio to the cloud (which is a good thing). The inability to cleanly recognize commands is most likely

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Is it a lack in voice recognition? Wouldn't be surprised if the microphones are pretty second fiddle on that thing.

this. Which of course also impacts the ability to hear the wake word properly.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Papa John Misty posted:

And conveniently the Mute makes it glow red forever. I don't know if completely unlinking Alexa prevents any Alexa integration or if I can rig up IFTTT or something...

And you can't even change the wake word to make the dumb bastard "computer" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hue update for accessories getting HomeKit support is out. It's... ok. The motion sensors work well enough (and they also now track temperature and light). I can't get the dimmer switches to work at all. I can configure them and I can see on the home all they're triggering but they don't actually do anything. Not like it matters as setting it up through HomeKit dumbs it the hell down. Single clicks on all 4 buttons and that's it. No dimming capacity or toggling scenes with 1 button. It kinda sucks and I went back to just setting them up with the Hue app.

That said, playing with automations just makes me loving HATE the automation ui on Home. You can't organize by room or by accessory, you can't group or hide. Just a single endlessly growing list. Really loving lovely stuff and basically hopes you just set and forget.

Also this is my monthly reminder that MacOS having no HomeKit support at all to either control or manage is a loving joke.