Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Alright here's some screenshots from my low res rig, the devs really should get some credit for how pretty the game is after all these years on almost any computer even if they then lose most that credit for how they've never been able to update the engine or server code properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
UPDATING OUR DEAD THREAD:

The LoTRO official sponsored stream guys are now allowed to stream the new raid, though he had to run it on ultra low settings because of his computer to run the stream software while in a 12 man. Already forgot the name of it, Throne of The Dead Lord Guy or something, 6 bosses, some of them spooky and stuff.

A change to keep in mind: All the new jewelry drops will now be bound to account, so if you have alts stop deleting the trash ones and mail them to them in two weeks or whatever. Will post more as I learn it. I'm sure the fansites already have a full leak but it's more fun to learn spoilers slowly, live, on ultra low settings.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

extra stout posted:

UPDATING OUR DEAD THREAD:

The LoTRO official sponsored stream guys are now allowed to stream the new raid, though he had to run it on ultra low settings because of his computer to run the stream software while in a 12 man. Already forgot the name of it, Throne of The Dead Lord Guy or something, 6 bosses, some of them spooky and stuff.

A change to keep in mind: All the new jewelry drops will now be bound to account, so if you have alts stop deleting the trash ones and mail them to them in two weeks or whatever. Will post more as I learn it. I'm sure the fansites already have a full leak but it's more fun to learn spoilers slowly, live, on ultra low settings.

:toot:

Looking forward to seeing this unfold. The raid may even convince me to keep my turbine points until I get to Far Anorien so I can spam mini heals and be the whipping boy when my raid wipes

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I forget but does this game have any "modify an .ini file to get ultra detail and view distance" sort of thing (that won't get you banned) or no? When I build my new rig in a few days I might hop on this to check the new content and I'd love to be able to do something like make my PC render all the things at eagle eye distance or something.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cnidario posted:

:toot:

Looking forward to seeing this unfold. The raid may even convince me to keep my turbine points until I get to Far Anorien so I can spam mini heals and be the whipping boy when my raid wipes

Uh that's my job by clearly not managing my damage output and pulling everyone away from the tank. Geeze get with the program.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Evil Fluffy posted:

I forget but does this game have any "modify an .ini file to get ultra detail and view distance" sort of thing (that won't get you banned) or no? When I build my new rig in a few days I might hop on this to check the new content and I'd love to be able to do something like make my PC render all the things at eagle eye distance or something.

I've never heard of anyone modifying anything beyond the interface honestly, not a very modded game as it already has like 200 settings/options and a built in interface system that let's you pick one for every character on your account even.

Just make sure you install the ultra res client and not the regular one is my only, very obvious advice.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

The view distance is already really far when the slider is pushed all the way to the right. There used to be a lot of the "fog of war" poo poo years ago because people's computers probably couldn't handle the game without it. It seems like they've increased the maximum draw distance several times over the last 5 years. You can go to the top of a hill and see for what looks like 10+ miles.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I haven't really played since the game came out but miss gaming and haven't found anything to keep me interested lately. Actually was recently hiking in the Burren in Ireland, and it reminded me of some Lotro regions.

I think I have a 30ish minstrel and a lower-level LM. I may come back after holiday. Is the kin still active?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
any good up-to-date guides on Legendary Items since it has been a while since i have played and they seem totally impenetrable to me just kinda piecing together info

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
When will Turbine give players the option of choosing more than one face? I swear the NPCs have more facial diversity than players themselves.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

extra stout posted:

Just make sure you install the ultra res client and not the regular one is my only, very obvious advice.

Is there somewhere special I need to go for the ultra res client? I thought Lotro only had one installer/client these days.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

fibblins posted:

When will Turbine give players the option of choosing more than one face? I swear the NPCs have more facial diversity than players themselves.

Turbine is running this game with a skeleton crew on a shoestring budget. The only thing they're working on is getting the ring into Mordor ASAP, and the game will likely go into full official maintenance mode shortly after that. Don't hold your breath for anything that's not super relevant to wrapping up the story itself.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I just saw that in update 18.2 they're adding a Stable-Masters tab to the Collection panel, so you can see which (if any) you haven't unlocked. However it appears that you can't use this to travel anywhere unless you want to use Mithril Coins.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is there somewhere special I need to go for the ultra res client? I thought Lotro only had one installer/client these days.

I think the default download option is the high res client now. I reinstalled over the weekend after upgrading my computer, and the client I downloaded is definitely high res. In the past, the default client was the standard res one.

Brave New World posted:

Turbine is running this game with a skeleton crew on a shoestring budget. The only thing they're working on is getting the ring into Mordor ASAP, and the game will likely go into full official maintenance mode shortly after that. Don't hold your breath for anything that's not super relevant to wrapping up the story itself.

I don't know about that. They've said in recent developer updates that they have post-Mordor plans, and that the story won't end with the destruction of the Ring.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 21, 2016

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

ruffz posted:

I just saw that in update 18.2 they're adding a Stable-Masters tab to the Collection panel, so you can see which (if any) you haven't unlocked. However it appears that you can't use this to travel anywhere unless you want to use Mithril Coins.

I think the default download option is the high res client now. I reinstalled over the weekend after upgrading my computer, and the client I downloaded is definitely high res. In the past, the default client was the standard res one.

I don't know about that. They've said in recent developer updates that they have post-Mordor plans, and that the story won't end with the destruction of the Ring.

I hope they can carry through to the Scouring of the Shire. I was disappointed when that didn't make it into the films.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Litany Unheard posted:

I hope they can carry through to the Scouring of the Shire. I was disappointed when that didn't make it into the films.

I always thought the ending of the movies was kinda anti-climatic...

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

On Bullroarer, the map for the new Stable-Masters tab doesn't go any farther south than Gondor, but goes north of Mordor through Rhun and the rest of Mirkwood. I'm always one to speculate about Turbine's plans, so I'm curious if this means they don't plan on taking us south to Harad at some point. I think they have actually said that the rest of Mirkwood may be in the game someday.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The closest you're going to get is this:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?537729-LOTRO-SweetFX-and-you-A-tale-of-pretty-sunsets-and-lush-foliage&highlight=SweetFX

It makes a pretty significant difference and looks great.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Oxphocker posted:

The books had the theme that the world was changing with the closing of the Third Age and that you can't stop it. The Dwarves are in decline, the Elves are passing into the West, the bloodline of Numenor has faded, and even the peaceful little Shire is touched by war and mayhem. Merry and Pippin return to the Shire as great warriors, Sam becomes a leader of his people, and Frodo is restless and enduring a pain that won't cease until he passes away from Middle Earth.

The movies went back to the Shire and everything was still quaint and jolly. Oh hey there's the grumpy farmer Hobbit, remember that guy?? He hasn't changed at all, can you believe our wacky adventures only took a year? Heh, no one will believe what we did!

Jackson completely missed the point of the books and decided that big, lengthy battles decided by tidal waves of green vomit were what the people wanted. And based on the box office receipts I guess he's right. :( What I wanted was to see Took archers shooting down Big Folk followed by a tense scene with Saruman.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Oxphocker posted:

You didn't enjoy the 5 fades to black?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I had no idea what kind of difference it would make to upgrade my monitor from an old 1920x1200 to a 2560x1440. LOTRO is gorgeous in 2k resolution.

I can't get it to work on 64 bit Windows 10. I log in and select the server, then the game doesn't open at all.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ruffz posted:

I had no idea what kind of difference it would make to upgrade my monitor from an old 1920x1200 to a 2560x1440. LOTRO is gorgeous in 2k resolution.

MMOs are way nicer to play with a super wide view.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
No sale on Turbine's site yet so don't feel bad about giving 30 percent to Gabe if you need any expansion packs, Helm's Deep and the Quad Pack are all 75 percent off on Steam, so $9.99 for the first four expansions and $9.99 for the most recent one (Helm's Deep).

In game sale this week is 20% off most storage related things.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I've been playing this on and off for about 4 years and never spent a cent on it until today when I bought a months vip since my lvl 45 hunter was pretty much stuck doing nothing, seems worth it so far with the bunch of new quests open. Also I've never been able to get into a fellowship to complete a single fellowship quest since the server I was on was dead. Since I logged in and switched to Landroval I see other players now and then. I've sent messages to a few goons listed in the op so I can ask dumb questions about things and stuff.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
If you're level 45, you need to immediately buy the Moria expansion and get started on it's intro quest, which awards your first Legendary weapon. We all start that the second we hit 45. Plus, Moria is almost universally agreed to be this game's strongest content, so you do want to check it out.

E: And it gives you Warden and Rune Keeper classes too!

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 24, 2016

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

ruffz posted:

I hope that you're right and that I'm wrong.

Litany Unheard posted:

Yeah, they'll probably do the Scouring of the Shire, but beyond that? I'm not getting my hopes up. Again, I hope that I'm wrong.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Brave New World posted:

If you're level 45, you need to immediately buy the Moria expansion and get started on it's intro quest, which awards your first Legendary weapon. We all start that the second we hit 45. Plus, Moria is almost universally agreed to be this game's strongest content, so you do want to check it out.

And remember, all 4 expansion packs are 9.99 on steam don't buy anything but bag slots from Turbine this week.

Also, as of one hour some more information about the raid and the process and logic behind it was posted

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/return-raid

edit

For the 10th time after the Shire is on fire and then put out they will do a huge region for Erebor and it will fuggin own big time, they'll add war pigs and war goats in the same patch.

Also in real actual news: 18.2 brings us not only a raid, but adds something like 50 percent more item hooks to houses and kin houses, which everyone has asked for since about the third year of the game when they filled up their houses and kept looking new stuff. Amazing news for house nerds.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 24, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Brave New World posted:

I don't think you need to buy Moria to do the intro quest. Pretty sure only Helm's Deep gated the epic quests behind a paid expansion.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Yeah I'm still not sure what the hell I'm buying but from what i could tell vip gives access to all the expansions? When I hit 45 a quest came up that sent me to see a hunter in Archet where you start out and it gave a bunch of quests to collect various things so he can make me a Bow of Kickass or whatever it was, I'm halfway thru that. I've pretty much played the game mindlessly and didn't always pay attention, and haven't bothered much with crafting since it appears there's always something you need that can't be got outside of paying silly amounts in a auction hall plus boring so I dunno I'm not super serious I just like riding around I guess.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
VIP doesn't give you any expansions, and the bow you're questing for isn't a legendary. It's the best bow you'd get(outside of a raid at least) in SoA before Legendaries existed.

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

So, I started playing again a couple weeks ago (Cactusfrankie ingame, used to be part of Ye Olde Nazgun raiding crew with Arus and Andrii), and while I haven't been around much these last few days and I hate bringing up anything drama related, it looks like the guild is stuck in a vicious cycle of people not being around because nothing is happening, then nothing happening because people aren't around. I don't think we can count on anything happening that will significantly revitalize the game enough to bring a bunch of new goons in. Has the possibility of open recruiting, or maybe even merging with another guild, been considered? Whatever extra stout has in mind, I'd support it if it means having more people to play with.

On a more pleasant note, anyone know how the steam expansions work/don't work with existing non-steam accounts? I'm only missing Helm's Deep and the sale would be a great time to pick it up, but is it gonna play nice with an existing non-steam account/install with the other expansions?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Machado de Assis posted:

So, I started playing again a couple weeks ago (Cactusfrankie ingame, used to be part of Ye Olde Nazgun raiding crew with Arus and Andrii), and while I haven't been around much these last few days and I hate bringing up anything drama related, it looks like the guild is stuck in a vicious cycle of people not being around because nothing is happening, then nothing happening because people aren't around. I don't think we can count on anything happening that will significantly revitalize the game enough to bring a bunch of new goons in. Has the possibility of open recruiting, or maybe even merging with another guild, been considered? Whatever extra stout has in mind, I'd support it if it means having more people to play with.

On a more pleasant note, anyone know how the steam expansions work/don't work with existing non-steam accounts? I'm only missing Helm's Deep and the sale would be a great time to pick it up, but is it gonna play nice with an existing non-steam account/install with the other expansions?

Edheladan here. I'd be on more but I've been busy with work which takes precedent over FTP Lord of the Rings MMOs. But yeah the inactivity is depressing. Someone start recruiting people who aren't terrible please (or at least people who are no more terrible than your average goon).

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Fat Jesus posted:

Yeah I'm still not sure what the hell I'm buying but from what i could tell vip gives access to all the expansions? When I hit 45 a quest came up that sent me to see a hunter in Archet where you start out and it gave a bunch of quests to collect various things so he can make me a Bow of Kickass or whatever it was, I'm halfway thru that. I've pretty much played the game mindlessly and didn't always pay attention, and haven't bothered much with crafting since it appears there's always something you need that can't be got outside of paying silly amounts in a auction hall plus boring so I dunno I'm not super serious I just like riding around I guess.

I don't know what you're buying either but if you go to the lotro market on lotro.com they finally started their 75 percent off sale, can buy expansions as individuals instead of the quad pack if you'd like 1 moria for 5 bucks instead of 4 xpacs for 10 bucks.

Machado de Assis posted:

The good news! 18.2 has a major raid, and a housing updated people begged for. The bad news! You're right, the leader still doesn't actively play the game and about a half dozen of us are level 105, raids take a full dozen people. I can get goons into run with some friends of mine, but it'd probably be on casual t1 runs.

You can right click the titles of LoTRO in Steam (might have to go into big picture mode to do it) and get a code that you (used to put into the my account page, now you can input it right into the store) and that should solve your problem.

But as I just mentioned, Turbine finally started their own sale so unless you already have money loaded into Steam you can just do that (and they don't lose a 30 percent cut to Gabe).

extra stout fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 25, 2016

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What I'm more curious is what sort of group we ultimately want to play with. I'm intimidated by the pros being a filthy casual myself. I'm never going to actually go all out to make the perfect weapon or the best essences or anything, but I do really enjoy playing with other people. Also, yeah real life also gets a lot in the way. I do try to keep regular on the Saturday thing but this weekend we're just plain not in town. Also, I'm feeling ever so slightly burnt out on the moment, I'm still about 600 tp low for the latest expansion and I don't know when I'll be able to get there (and the thought that I'll have to save up all over again for the eventual new ones is a bit disheartening).

Why don't I just buy TP points or whatever? Because I'm cheap is all and I feel I've enough by paying for the expansions up to this point. That said I'll probably drop some cash on the next Triple TP sale or whatever to avoid this sort of issue.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Desmond posted:

I haven't really played since the game came out but miss gaming and haven't found anything to keep me interested lately. Actually was recently hiking in the Burren in Ireland, and it reminded me of some Lotro regions.

I think I have a 30ish minstrel and a lower-level LM. I may come back after holiday. Is the kin still active?

Quoting myself. Is the goon guild active at all? Or should I just find the most populated server and hope to find some groups now and then for elite quests?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Desmond posted:

Quoting myself. Is the goon guild active at all? Or should I just find the most populated server and hope to find some groups now and then for elite quests?

The Nazgun is not particularly active right now. The server we are on, Landroval, has a decent population if you're looking for a group to run something.

So roll a character on Landroval and then check back in with the goons in a month or two and see if we've gotten our poo poo together.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

Since you hit 45 go to Eregion and start the Moria intro. I'm pretty sure the LI weapon you'll get from doing that starts out better than the bow you're describing, to say nothing of how much better it'll be once you've started leveling it. You might need to go inside Moria for a quest/turn=in for the 2nd start LI as well.

Like BNW mentioned, VIP doesn't give expansions but I'm pretty sure all epic quest stuff except Helm's Deep is available without the related expansion. Hit 45, go do the Moria intro (get someone to craft you some gear if yours is bad, since you'll be fighting a lot of 49-50 mobs) to get the free start LIs and then go back to whatever and level to 50 while leveling those free LIs which completely blow away anything you could get from the pre-Moria content.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I bought the quad pack on steam for 10 bux so guess I'm set, thanks for the advice

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Desmond posted:

Litany's post is good, even if you hate goons or are one of the people the leader of our kin kicked out for being too funny you would still do well to play on our server Landroval, because it's very popular and has a lot of great people. It's also mostly focused on raiding, questing, and community events, where as Arkenstone is more focused on PVP which goons never put much time into. It's a very repetitive, marginal part of the game and even on the most PVP oriented server you will always have several days of the week where most of the players are questing or raiding or throwing a party and the PVP zones are dead.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I bought witcher 3 and it just made me want to play this dumb bad game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have hardly been playing, but I would echo what others have said about Landroval. It is a wonderful server full of nice and helpful people, and when you ask for a group in world chat you will usually find one.

Speaking of which, I spent last night running around with some random level 50-60s doing some instances including the Grand Stairs and I only managed to finish one quest. My quest log is entirely full (I do not even have all of the Grand Stair quests) and I'm not sure if I should forget about the Moria instances and just wrap things up and head on out of Moria or not. Any suggestions? Are the Grand Stairs, Fil Gashan, the Sixteenth Hall, ect worth it XP wise if you are level 61?

The completionist in me says to do them just to do them. But the kid in me says I wanna go outside and play, gently caress work!

Dumb kid.