Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My wife bought a 30 year old industrial sewing machine over a brand new industrial because the old one was made in Japan and the new one was made in China. The old one (Juki) has a remarkably better action and sound compared to the new Chinese one (highlead).

Coincidentally, my Ibanez S prestige made in Japan is a level of quality far surpassing my made in USA Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Japan has some serious master craftsmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
japanese kitchen knives are dope too

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

BraveUlysses posted:

japanese kitchen knives are dope too

I got 2 sets of these as wedding gifts and they are great. No food can resist my Hanzo Steel!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
J vin or no vin. I want my digital clock to be made with craftsmanship!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The funny thing is that a large amount of the skill the Japanese developed in working steel was likely due to having fairly poo poo metal to work with in the first place.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My mazda was made in michigan. It makes me happy.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

BloodBag posted:

My wife bought a 30 year old industrial sewing machine over a brand new industrial because the old one was made in Japan and the new one was made in China. The old one (Juki) has a remarkably better action and sound compared to the new Chinese one (highlead).

Coincidentally, my Ibanez S prestige made in Japan is a level of quality far surpassing my made in USA Gibson Les Paul Standard.

I wish you had let me know you wanted a Juki, I have one in my garage I don't want. It's the industrial one that has its own bench/table.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

alternate.eago posted:

I wish you had let me know you wanted a Juki, I have one in my garage I don't want. It's the industrial one that has its own bench/table.

What do you have, and what would a goon price be (assuming you're looking to sell)? The wife sews a ton, and her "new" sewing machine is pissing her off compared to her mothers old one she used to use.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Apparently, the 348 snuck into the shoot for some new online F1 video series. Looks cozy in its new home:
https://www.facebook.com/tachyonmotorsport/photos/a.328468653830448.87231.193843210626327/1499346603409308/?type=3
Still no update on damage to the motor yet.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Siochain posted:

What do you have, and what would a goon price be (assuming you're looking to sell)? The wife sews a ton, and her "new" sewing machine is pissing her off compared to her mothers old one she used to use.

Do you have pm?
I'm not really sure what it is, my dad bought it years ago, it is one of the industrial machines used in a prison or something, the state of Maryland used to own it, so it was incredibly well maintained.
Also I'm in the Baltimore area, so shipping could be a bitch.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BloodBag posted:

my ibanez pf200 is a pretty well built guitar considering its nearly 40 years old and ive been beating the poo poo out of it for almost half that time

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I, uhhhhh, started bidding on this:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2014-ultima-gtr/
An open seater with only an LS3 went for 70, so I don't think I'll be able to hang with bidding by the end.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Well to run one of those you'll definitely need to afford a large life insurance policy. :eyepop:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I know very little about how auctions outside of eBay or a candle work, so maybe dumb question: why the 30k jump? I mean, wouldn't you rather get it for 50k, if you could? (Not that it would happen, just ... seems worth a try.)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

I, uhhhhh, started bidding on this:
An open seater with only an LS3 went for 70, so I don't think I'll be able to hang with bidding by the end.

This is almost undoubtedly going 100+ it looks like

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

everdave posted:

This is almost undoubtedly going 100+ it looks like

Yeah, I'd be bidding against my own interests if I weren't sure it's still way under reserve or what it's going to sell for.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, I'd be bidding against my own interests if I weren't sure it's still way under reserve or what it's going to sell for.

You could have had that maclaren for that :v:

But seriously, what a shitpile that auction was from start to finish and I'm glad the loudest idiots in the comments had to eat poo poo when it sold.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I'm on board with the common opinion that Ultimas really aren't all that pretty, but they're a very proven platform at this point, and if people are bagging on it being a kit car because they can't separate them from a fibreglass-on-a-Fiero lashup, that's their problem.

Personally I'd have an SLC over an Ultima, but both are a moot point from a :rodimus: perspective.

I don't get the Cleco fasteners comment someone made. What else would you use for holding panels together for riveting?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I don't get the Cleco fasteners comment someone made. What else would you use for holding panels together for riveting?
Clamps? Silicone sealant?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

Clamps? Silicone sealant?
Well, if you had access, I can see a clamp working in certain places, and sealant is probably a good idea on some joins anyway, it's more I found it weird that they were implying it was some kind of high-end aerospace thing to use Clecos, as in it was a sign of quality, when really it's a pretty common tool I've seen tons of people use for riveting stuff.

I mean, it's clearly a good build, but it was just such an oddly specific thing to comment about. Like saying the guy used Snap-On tools.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, I didn't think that was a particularly impressive thing to note. In the sense that anything but exceptional build quality could make you feel safe in a 700hp kit car.
I drove a base Noble M12 once and that scared me enough.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Weird comparison of the hate on the McLaren versus people worshipping the Ultima guy

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Ultimas are cool :smugbert: Only the Ariel atom or Radical SR8 are cooler. Those two got me through PGR3 :v:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
:siren: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2010-whartonlotuslocost-super-7/ :siren:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That one's been on eBay for 14kish, but is the worst looking of the 7 clones.

I went as far as I could on the Ultima, but got solidly outbid.
Can't believe reserve was only 100K.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
For me, Toyota stopped selling great vehicles in North America in 1995, but I'm crazy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Fermented Tinal posted:

For me, Toyota stopped selling great vehicles in North America in 1995, but I'm crazy.

While I tend to agree with you, I have a couple cars that existed after 95 that were typical Toyota tank great:
FZJ80 Land Cruiser / LX450
FZJ100 Land Cruiser / LX470
IS300
GS300 / GS400
LS430

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BlackMK4 posted:

While I tend to agree with you, I have a couple cars that existed after 95 that were typical Toyota tank great:
FZJ80 Land Cruiser / LX450
FZJ100 Land Cruiser / LX470
IS300
GS300 / GS400
LS430

I'd add 2nd gen prius to that list. Those things just keep going (and being lovely gondolas in the process)

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

^^ What brought on Toyota chat? Wrong thread?

kimbo305 posted:

That one's been on eBay for 14kish, but is the worst looking of the 7 clones.

I went as far as I could on the Ultima, but got solidly outbid.
Can't believe reserve was only 100K.

I saw that. I couldn't believe you were only $5k off. That's got to smart a little.

I hadn't put it together, until that one commenter mentioned at the last minute, that the windows in a GTR don't open. I'm not sure how that'd go for me TBH. But then again you get to swing your sweet rear end billionaire doors anytime you need to do anything outside the car.

One thing I've really come to love about BAT is the clear, up close pictures of the mechanicals I'd never see under otherwise.

Just think, for the money you scraped together for the GTR you could buy BOTH of the 7 clones on BAT right now and still have a solid chunk of change left over.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

glyph posted:

I saw that. I couldn't believe you were only $5k off. That's got to smart a little.

I hadn't put it together, until that one commenter mentioned at the last minute, that the windows in a GTR don't open. I'm not sure how that'd go for me TBH. But then again you get to swing your sweet rear end billionaire doors anytime you need to do anything outside the car.

One thing I've really come to love about BAT is the clear, up close pictures of the mechanicals I'd never see under otherwise.

The winner came on really strong, so I don't think I woulda won, just pushed the price up for the seller. Not that that's a bad thing for the seller, just that I wouldn't want to be winning at 110k or higher.

There are some super cool exotic cars out there, and I can't e: stop thinking about owning one some day. I'm sure it'd be amusing to go to a drive-thru and have to pop the door open just to get your burgers and drink .

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 29, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It gets old pretty fast imo. Driving through Europe with a RHD car and coming to the tolls was a real pain.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

BigPaddy posted:

It gets old pretty fast imo. Driving through Europe with a RHD car and coming to the tolls was a real pain.

Luckily for us, Massachusetts did away with toll booths. EZ Pass only boys

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Beaten to it by New Hampshire :v I am looking forward to going through a Dunkin drive through in something JDM and the staff being met with the dog.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

Beaten to it by New Hampshire :v I am looking forward to going through a Dunkin drive through in something JDM and the staff being met with the dog.

No, you can still pay NH tolls with cash.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Ever thought of picking up a proper classic Italian car that has something of a reliable drivetrain? Like a DeTomaso Pantera? I would both hate your guts for buying my dream car and live vicariously through you. No high strung Italian idiocy for an engine, just a nice Ford Cleveland or Windsor V8 with a Ford GT40 transaxle.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Someone post the build log of that engineer who meticulously restomodded his Pantera

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Pantera?

http://www.hemipanter.se/

Pantera!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

And this is what you do when you can afford 20.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Replaced the flip up headlights with fixed and covers. 2/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I feel like Panteras have really good cachet, that is, I'd pay a premium just for the name. Are they even well engineered for driving?
Whereas there's not nearly as much demand for some no-name exotics.

• Locked thread