Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I expect something dumb, like Orochimaru cloning Jiraiya to take on the space baddies.

edit:

Dexo posted:

My hunch is Jiraiya clone.

Gonna find out Orochimaru wanted his old friend back.

sup fellow occam's razor fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
There's no way that Orochimaru is directly involved in this clone/resurrection or whatever Koji is.
They may have used some of his research, but Orochimaru is such a non role in the story of ninja science there's just no way that they'll suddenly make him relevant again.

Though having not-Jirayja meet Mitsuki should at least be pretty funny.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Now if he was drawing it as well I could probably get behind that.

If he came back to draw would Sarada get a better costume?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

If he came back to draw would Sarada get a better costume?

The way she is in the anime isn’t that bad, just use that design.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
lol haha they even give boruto a marty mcfly jacket

:lol: this dumb loving Filler rules.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

Race Realists posted:

lol haha they even give boruto a marty mcfly jacket

:lol: this dumb loving Filler rules.

And yet Boruto, the newly declared anime Marty Mcfly, avoids kissing his mother. In an anime. Japan.. are you feeling alright? It’s not like you to avoid such a easy opportunity. , I’m glad it didn’t go down like that, But it’s still odd.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, has there been any announcement as to when the anime is coming back yet?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, has there been any announcement as to when the anime is coming back yet?

Getting a quoted date of June 14. Not sure how accurate that is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

Getting a quoted date of June 14. Not sure how accurate that is.

Sounds about right. Also if anyone’s interested they finally started the dub back up recently, episodes 53-66 have been released so far.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I've been Reading through Naruto on Manga plus as it's released, as I never read all of it. But man this Manga is really fond of making GBS threads the bed.
They're at the whole Naruto meets Kushina part. It's so weird.
Dad apparently just on the fly invented a way to implant someone's memories and character into someone else. Okay, I can live with that. But then the way how it's dead set on undoing the entire "hard work pays off" message.
Yes Naruto. You worked really hard to get where you are, however you have a predicted destiny and you're the "secret" son of one of the greatest Hokage ever. Also You're a part of the Uzumaki clan. You have unnaturally large amount of extra strong Chakra in addition to the the Nine tails.

Speaking off that whole the seal breaks when the female Jinchuriki gives birth. I have an idea, let's keep seeing it in female Uzumaki clan members. :downs: It's like...why?

It does remind me though, how exactly does reincarnation work when Edo Tensei exists. Indra and the other son kept on being reincarnated right?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I think the idea there is that only Indra and Asura reincarnate, due to their grudge.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Darth TNT posted:

I've been Reading through Naruto on Manga plus as it's released, as I never read all of it. But man this Manga is really fond of making GBS threads the bed.
They're at the whole Naruto meets Kushina part. It's so weird.
Dad apparently just on the fly invented a way to implant someone's memories and character into someone else. Okay, I can live with that. But then the way how it's dead set on undoing the entire "hard work pays off" message.
Yes Naruto. You worked really hard to get where you are, however you have a predicted destiny and you're the "secret" son of one of the greatest Hokage ever. Also You're a part of the Uzumaki clan. You have unnaturally large amount of extra strong Chakra in addition to the the Nine tails.

Speaking off that whole the seal breaks when the female Jinchuriki gives birth. I have an idea, let's keep seeing it in female Uzumaki clan members. :downs: It's like...why?

It does remind me though, how exactly does reincarnation work when Edo Tensei exists. Indra and the other son kept on being reincarnated right?

It's part of the Shiki Fujin(sp?) That thing the Third and Fourth did. It involves pulling the soul out of the body. And you can either seal that soul somewhere else, or feed it to the Shinigami. But the Shinigami takes your soul as a condition of using the technique.

If there isn't a male heir...We have only seen two Uzumaki's outside of Nart and both are women.

The Hard work pays off message is literally just one character's creed. The character who always loses. Literally all of the main characters, train their rear end off(well besides Sasuke once he starts getting deep into the Madara Eye poo poo in the time jump). Neji, the main target of Lee's beliefs, literally trained his rear end off and taught himself his clan's most powerful techniques despite being in the branch family and having no outside assistance. Naruto also trains pretty hard.

Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard. But Naruto and everyone else generally works pretty hard.

Edo Tensei and Reincarnation are two different things. Edo Tensei is pulling the souls of dead people back from the dead, so long as you have their Body and exerting some variable amount of control over them through the process.

Reincarnation is like some ootsuki chakra poo poo IIRC. Where like Indra and Asura's chakra and Will™ and it's conflict(not their soul :shrug:) when they died kept being transferred to another two people who would continue it. Until Nart and Sasuke broke the cycle or whatever(Maybe? I guess when they both die this whole thing could start up again).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wasn't Pain an Uzumaki?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wasn't Pain an Uzumaki?

poo poo, you're right I forgot Nagato was an Uzumaki.

Karen, Kushina, Nart, and Pain.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Tsunade is also technically an Uzumaki through her grandmother Mito, the jinchuriki before Kushina.

Yes, that would make Tsunade Nort's actual great-aunt.

Also, "Karen" threw me for a bit, before I realized you were talking about Karin.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 6, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Tsunade is also technically an Uzumaki through her grandmother Mito, the jinchuriki before Kushina.

Yes, that would make Tsunade Nort's actual great-aunt.

Also, "Karen" threw me for a bit, before I realized you were talking about Karin.

Autocorrect, I've been typing Karen a bunch recently. Go figure.

I did not remember that about Tsunade lol.

I love this dumb series.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also the seal doesn’t break when giving birth, it weakens because the chakra system of the mother changes as part of creating/birthing the child. Like how nutrients/blood works in real life just with ninja energy. I imagine this normally isn’t actually an issue.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The mother usually isn't attacked by a crazy teleporting rear end in a top hat immediately after she gives birth. They had Kushina give birth away from the village, in a sealed, hidden cave, as well. You can't just go "Ok, no women ever because pregnancy" when there's no guarantee that there are any guys capable and willing to host an extremely powerful and violent being within themselves. Even barring the person just flat not surviving the process, we've seen multiple examples of healthy male jinchuuriki going berserk and needing to be stopped (Gaara when Sasuke drew blood in their duel, Naruto multiple times, Hachi's previous host who killed multiple people in the process). Childbirth is vastly more predictable and able to be accounted for, than everything else that might weaken or break the seal.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TheHan posted:

I think the idea there is that only Indra and Asura reincarnate, due to their grudge.

That's implied yes, but then how does Edo Tensei work when you summon the previous incarnations? I suppose if it's just the Will like Dexo said, that would make a difference.

Dexo posted:

It's part of the Shiki Fujin(sp?) That thing the Third and Fourth did. It involves pulling the soul out of the body. And you can either seal that soul somewhere else, or feed it to the Shinigami. But the Shinigami takes your soul as a condition of using the technique.

If there isn't a male heir...We have only seen two Uzumaki's outside of Nart and both are women.

The Hard work pays off message is literally just one character's creed. The character who always loses. Literally all of the main characters, train their rear end off(well besides Sasuke once he starts getting deep into the Madara Eye poo poo in the time jump). Neji, the main target of Lee's beliefs, literally trained his rear end off and taught himself his clan's most powerful techniques despite being in the branch family and having no outside assistance. Naruto also trains pretty hard.

Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard. But Naruto and everyone else generally works pretty hard.

Edo Tensei and Reincarnation are two different things. Edo Tensei is pulling the souls of dead people back from the dead, so long as you have their Body and exerting some variable amount of control over them through the process.

Reincarnation is like some ootsuki chakra poo poo IIRC. Where like Indra and Asura's chakra and Will™ and it's conflict(not their soul :shrug:) when they died kept being transferred to another two people who would continue it. Until Nart and Sasuke broke the cycle or whatever(Maybe? I guess when they both die this whole thing could start up again).

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also the seal doesn’t break when giving birth, it weakens because the chakra system of the mother changes as part of creating/birthing the child. Like how nutrients/blood works in real life just with ninja energy. I imagine this normally isn’t actually an issue.

The choice in Kushina was made while the Uzumaki (Uzushio) clan was probably still alive. Time frame is a little vague, but Kushina mentions that she was chosen and moved to Konoha when she was still young and only later on found out it was to be the Jinchuuriki.
The first Jinchuuriki was also a woman and according to Naruto's mom that means that it was tradition. I'll just chalk that up to his mom not being that bright, because they keep referring to the Mito (the first) as being the one before her. So that would've made it a tradition of 2 women including Kushina.

They literally say that when Mito gave birth the seal almost broke. The seal weakens during pregnancy and has the possibility to break during child birth. Obito just helped it along a little. Link
They knew the risk, yet still put it into a woman. Hell, Minato is shown to be struggling to keep the Nine Tails contained during the birth.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, it's Ashra and Indra's chakra that's getting resurrected each time. Not really their souls per se.

So presumably when old man Madara died and let Obito take over, Sasuke was born a short while later.

As for the hard work thing, it is a bit lame that Naruto ended up having the mother/father specialness. At least Naruto did have the never giving up and never going back on his word thing. While a lot of other over powered characters broke brained or failed, Naruto kept on chugging along. I think that's legit hard work too...

Also I won't let you guys taint "hard work" by ignoring Might Guy like that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Teek posted:

Yeah, it's Ashra and Indra's chakra that's getting resurrected each time. Not really their souls per se.

So presumably when old man Madara died and let Obito take over, Sasuke was born a short while later.

As for the hard work thing, it is a bit lame that Naruto ended up having the mother/father specialness. At least Naruto did have the never giving up and never going back on his word thing. While a lot of other over powered characters broke brained or failed, Naruto kept on chugging along. I think that's legit hard work too...

Also I won't let you guys taint "hard work" by ignoring Might Guy like that.

Might Guy actually can use Ninjutsu and Genjutsu. He just choose to specialize in Taijutsu. Compared to Lee he is a "genius". Lee's thing is he literally can't use Nin/Genjutsu

It's just that Taijutsu requires a ton of manual labor in order to survive using the Gates.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Might Guy is such a well done character, at least in the slow build up he gets.
He's introduced as a goof, but as the story progresses he just keeps showing more tricks and signs that he's really strong. With other characters, even Itachi acknowledging that you should be careful facing him while he's still goofing off.
The way the 8th gate is kept until the very end and even if it didn't actually accomplish anything, it didn't feel like a waste at all.
Being acknowledged by the most broken character, who only survived because of hax, probably helps a lot there.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Might Guy came within inches of kicking Madara clean in half and ending the war. Maybe if he had started with Night Guy first instead of the Sekizo...

But yeah, it's fun watching everyone go "Don't ever gently caress with this man" and point at the complete goofball ninja - and then we slowly discover how correct that statement is. They had to keep him offscreen for 95% of the Pain invasion, because if he had actually been there then the aftermath would have been some light sweeping, mopping up the broken bits of Pain, and telling Naruto to take his time with sage training because Guy took care of the problem.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
guy's final battle was a really awesome scene, it's just that there was really no place for it. he wasn't the protagonist, or the protagonist's weird stalker who was convinced they were best friends, or even the protagonist's other weird stalker. so, there were limits to what guy could be allowed to accomplish.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It's really cool how Guy reads as a delusional "rival" comedy archetype to Kakashi and then at the end you think back and realize Guy was the stronger one in a fight all along. Of course, they're still equals because Kakashi is more suited to the part of ninjaing that doesn't involve murdering someone at 300 km/h.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

guy's final battle was a really awesome scene, it's just that there was really no place for it. he wasn't the protagonist, or the protagonist's weird stalker who was convinced they were best friends, or even the protagonist's other weird stalker. so, there were limits to what guy could be allowed to accomplish.

It felt like Kishimoto, having previously mentioned the awesome power of the 8th gate, felt the need to include it before the manga's end.

It would have been cooler if the whole war arc didn't suck. By then it felt like watching a child play by himself with his favorite action figures.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Thoren posted:

It felt like Kishimoto, having previously mentioned the awesome power of the 8th gate, felt the need to include it before the manga's end.

It would have been cooler if the whole war arc didn't suck. By then it felt like watching a child play by himself with his favorite action figures.

Yes exactly. That to me makes it so fascinating how everyone can look at that scene and agree that it was loving awesome. You never hear anyone saying he jobbed to make Madara seem even more broken, I never heard anyone say that they felt like he was worfed and should've been the one to finish Madara.
The only thing you tend to read/hear about it, is that he should've died after that showing instead of being saved by Ninja Jesus.

Seems like for everything the war arc did wrong, the whole Gai sequence is considered as just plain good. Seeing the invincible and haughty Madara be completely helpless and nearly killed is a good payoff for the hype the 8 gates were getting since all the way back in the Chuunin exams. Just a shame of slog and the switch that came after that...followed by more slog.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Kishimoto's dad also died around that time, which is why he included the stuff about Might Dai.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

super-redguy posted:

Kishimoto's dad also died around that time, which is why he included the stuff about Might Dai.

Is there an article or something about this? That is really sad, but fascinating at the same time.

*Edit*

And also an extremely unfortunate pun, God drat

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

Yes exactly. That to me makes it so fascinating how everyone can look at that scene and agree that it was loving awesome. You never hear anyone saying he jobbed to make Madara seem even more broken, I never heard anyone say that they felt like he was worfed and should've been the one to finish Madara.
The only thing you tend to read/hear about it, is that he should've died after that showing instead of being saved by Ninja Jesus.

Seems like for everything the war arc did wrong, the whole Gai sequence is considered as just plain good. Seeing the invincible and haughty Madara be completely helpless and nearly killed is a good payoff for the hype the 8 gates were getting since all the way back in the Chuunin exams. Just a shame of slog and the switch that came after that...followed by more slog.

From what I can tell, this is a problem common to most extended popular fiction. At some point there comes a collective shift in the fandom's appreciation of iconic characters -- to the point where only the characters' surface personality and aesthetic appearance still matters.

The Naruto fandom would collectively cream itself if Naruto and Sasuke get to fight some 'epic' 3-chapter battle at the cost of the plot and the other characters. In fact, wasn't there something like this that happened in the anime? I don't watch it but I remember some nerds on reddit gushing over a battle with cool animation while agreeing that Boruto the anime as a whole sucked.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yes the anime version of the final Naruto and Sasuke fight is very good

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

rndmnmbr posted:

Might Guy came within inches of kicking Madara clean in half and ending the war. Maybe if he had started with Night Guy first instead of the Sekizo...

But yeah, it's fun watching everyone go "Don't ever gently caress with this man" and point at the complete goofball ninja - and then we slowly discover how correct that statement is. They had to keep him offscreen for 95% of the Pain invasion, because if he had actually been there then the aftermath would have been some light sweeping, mopping up the broken bits of Pain, and telling Naruto to take his time with sage training because Guy took care of the problem.

One of the coolest bits of this was when they released the stat books, and Might Gai has zero failed missions, he's literally the only Konoha Jounin with zero failed missions. Kakashi, has failed missions (at least one of which we've seen) Gai has zero. In a fight they'd probably take eachother out equally but that's not really how their rivalry works, it's a rivalry of success, not one of combat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lord_Magmar posted:

One of the coolest bits of this was when they released the stat books, and Might Gai has zero failed missions, he's literally the only Konoha Jounin with zero failed missions. Kakashi, has failed missions (at least one of which we've seen) Gai has zero. In a fight they'd probably take eachother out equally but that's not really how their rivalry works, it's a rivalry of success, not one of combat.

I imagine Gai's record might be tilted in his favor since he likely only gets given missions that involve beating the poo poo out people

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, has it been established whether Metal (Lee’s son) has the same handicap as his dad when it comes to anything besides Taijutsu and basic chakra control?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Larryb posted:

I forget, has it been established whether Metal (Lee’s son) has the same handicap as his dad when it comes to anything besides Taijutsu and basic chakra control?

He doesn't. He participated in that group ninjutsu that paralyzed Kakashi during the bell test.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

He doesn't. He participated in that group ninjutsu that paralyzed Kakashi during the bell test.

Ah that’s right. And even though he can’t use anything besides Taijutsu I believe Rock Lee can at least mold chakra in the basic sense (I seem to remember him standing on water a few times in the anime).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yes, chakra control is required to open the Gates and do standard physical ability boosts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I imagine Gai's record might be tilted in his favor since he likely only gets given missions that involve beating the poo poo out people

when you can run at 300 km/h every mission can be completed by beating the poo poo out of people.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Team Gai isn't the team you send out for scouting, or diplomacy. Just like Team Kurenai isn't the team you send out when someone absolutely must without fail get their rear end beat into cowboy sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

You know, I actually enjoyed watching team 7 working together again. Even Sakura got to be semi-useful. And the final Naruto-Sasuke fight was really nice as well, if a bit long overdue. But yes, very large parts of the ninja super war were incredibly tedious.