Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system are you buying this shitheap on
PC
Playstation 4/5
whatever XBox is calling their poo poo now
WiiU
View Results

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I was thinking about playing with a controller instead of KB/M, but all of my research was basically just controller players insisting that aim assist isn't that strong, or the KBM players blaming every death on aim assist.

What do you all use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Iceman Isaac had a video on this recently, it is geared towards warzone mostly but applicable to MP too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM97PH1_zRk

Basically controller is probably better especially if you’re not a top pro player, but best to get one that had the paddles on the bottom for face button pressing. But in the end just stick with whatever you’re most comfortable with.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
CoD has always relied really heavily on it's egregious aim assist on consoles for quickscoping and poo poo and it's absolutely the smartest way to play, but it's also completely counterintuitive to how any other shooter plays and it's a whole skill set on it's own so unless you're super into CoD, controller sucks.

M+KB is literally easy mode in every other context except high-level CoD play.

Rockstar Massacre fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 15, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah totally accurate. How do other FPSes do on console? Just no crossplay? Sounds like BF2042 will have the option to have crossplay so they must have some AA. (Or it will just be a slaughter)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think his point about M+KB having a much higher skill ceiling but also a lower skill floor is true. M+KB isn't "easy mode" because it's super easy to just flail around during fire fights and be garbage with a mouse in a way that you generally won't be on a controller. If you have really good/precise mouse skills then you might find it easy, but that's a skill in and of itself, not something inherent to using a mouse.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
nah man it's just easier, someone that bad at pointing and clicking - perhaps the easiest and most fundamental thing you do with a PC - isn't gonna get better results with a controller.

priznat posted:

Yah totally accurate. How do other FPSes do on console? Just no crossplay? Sounds like BF2042 will have the option to have crossplay so they must have some AA. (Or it will just be a slaughter)

Crossplay was essentially introduced in MW2019, so there's not a lot of precedent. I can only think of it and Apex at the moment, and Apex is a better game in every possible way except it's slightly dull gameplay loop so it's not an easy comparison.

I've never played BF on PC so I couldn't say what crossplay would be like.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Keyboard and mouse people are able to quickly check corners and flip their aim 180 degrees in a flash. It's hard to compete with that, often meaning you have to just choose to ignore a corner and hope someone isn't in it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
For the first time ever, CoD got money/points out of me because I wanted a new SMG but didn't want to go through the fifteen match slog of getting stun kills that wear off too quickly.

I'm liking it so far, but it seems to have a pretty severe limit at range. I can squeak out MAC10 long shots without much trouble, but no such luck with this one. Quick reload, at least.

I'm still holding out hope that my missing 4k CP will eventually turn back up, but I haven't heard a peep for all the tickets I've submitted. I know it's a huge game, but that's pretty loving scummy to completely nuke any recourse to directly talk or chat with a living person.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I’ve been using the decoy grenade for those kills, lob it into a hardpoint and go in letting it rip. One in every two matches gets me the 3 kills. Figure fog grenade would work too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Has anyone else not been able to get a game of Fireteam in the past few days? I can get into every game mode but this.

Anyone?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That new zombies map is quite fun I must say. Ziplining around and getting absolutely mobbed with a close escape thanks to some C4 is a blast. I haven’t gotten any of the new wonder weapons yet but they also look cool.

I tried some plunder after the recent ttk changes and you can feel a difference but it kept hot dropping me in storage and I couldn’t land without getting melted either before or immediately after which is annoying.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Zwille posted:

Jesus loving Christ, i wanted to pop in for a quick game and I’m getting the old „not enough space for updating“ thing, and all I’ve got is Cold War & Warzone on an external 1 TB disc, 680ish GB free but I need 60 more, it says. I try rebuilding the database and apparently the rebuild is running now and it’s only 33 GB short for the update now. :psyduck: I mean even considering needing double the space it’s more than enough to install CW and WZ twice over and it’s not enough even just for the CW update.

If this doesn’t work tomorrow after the rebuild has finished I’ll try moving Warzone over to the main storage. Anyone have other suggestions? I’m thinking move everything off the external SSD again, wipe it and try again.

Dunno if you resolved this but move it all to your main drive, let it all update etc, then move it back to your freshly wiped drive and just repoint the shortcut.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I ended up just deleting CW and WZ and reinstalling it. It worked pretty well and faster than moving over, which was another 60 minutes or so. Just took some time. Probably helps that we have no data limits. :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I got sniped twice in a plunder game by different people when there was no way they saw me judging by the kill cam, so I guess cheaters are in the poo poo tier lobbies now too? Oh well at least the new zombies map is pretty fun.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I actually maxed out the M82 sniper and I'm two camos away from gold. God, I suck at sniping.

I enjoyed the follow up shots of the M82 not requiring cycling the bolt and the generous damage.

Which should I work on next?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I've managed to max out the Tundra and M82 Sniper. Tried running the ZRG, and while it was satisfying to land a shot it seemed pretty useless. Should I grind out the K31 first?

I really, really suck at sniping.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
New season in about a week.

Anything cool to look forward to getting? As a middle aged man, I refuse to google "COD News." I'm pretty sure I'd have to type a Newz for it to work, but I'm not finding out.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Welp poo poo I’m not even past level 44 on the pass, I really slacked off. Gotta squeeze in some sessions so I at least get some of the new skins.

For season 5 there’s rumors of Soap as an operator and the cx-9 SMG and RAAL LMG but I have no idea what that means (besides Soap) as there’s no screenshots coming with those rumors.

It’s the next to last season already so I wonder if they’ll start dropping hints for the WW2 game.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Zwille posted:

It’s the next to last season already so I wonder if they’ll start dropping hints for the WW2 game.

Hopefully that it's not WW2 at all.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

that would be ideal

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Good news. It's not WW2.

It's an alternate timeline WW2 that never ended called WW2 Vanguard.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Okay and how will they shoehorn in price this time

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HebrewMagic posted:

Okay and how will they shoehorn in price this time

Time travel, obviously.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Alternate reality female Price for maximum gamer tears

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
You play as Price Sr. obviously.

It's the same model but with a bigger mustache.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

He's got chops bushier than a loving broom

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I'm ready for a new game. Having leveled up all but non-attachment weapons and two sniper rifles, I feel like I've done everything there is to do in this one. I've had a blast unlocking new stuff and maxing out guns. But if unlocking diamond camo for a weapon class taught me anything, it's that you'll never play with them again.

I like a progression.

At least I just got MLB The Show 2021 a week ago. I like being bad at a wide array of video games.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I bet Vanguard will have you escape from a concentration camp and join the polish resistance or something. I just wonder if they’ll go the extra silly black ops route or stay semi serious like the last CoD WW2.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

All hints seem to point towards a Pacific themed Vanguard (somebody found out there’s Japanese writing in the image reading „vanguard is coming“), which’s cool I guess? Also the new operator was revealed along with the new MP which looks like a Tek-9, neat.

Source: https://charlieintel.com/warzone-season-5-key-art-brings-first-teaser-for-cod-vanguard/119609/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFp4jbhO7_Y

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Ooooh that looks cool.

Had my hopes up for a bit that they’d do the Berlin Teufelsberg radar station after all (I’ve read the name somewhere in a preview I think) but it doesn’t look like it from the trailer. :/

E: wait it’s actually in! Huh. Looks a little different though.

Zwille fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 5, 2021

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

started playing again and got a best play where i mowed down like 6 dudes hipfiring the stoner and someone in the voice chat said "this motherfuckers playing doom". i think theyre on to me.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
LMG hipfire spread is one of the design decisions in this game that makes 0 sense.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

So I finally did the 'two contracts and load thing onto helicopter' mission and apparently it gave me a blueprint - however I can't find it anywhere. It's not in armoury

Orv
May 4, 2011
IIRC wasn't that for a MW blueprint? Are you looking in CW?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I may have lost, but I managed an accomplishment that I will never be able to top.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Orv posted:

IIRC wasn't that for a MW blueprint? Are you looking in CW?

This is in Warzone

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah then it DEFINITELY gave you a MW/WZ print

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i saw i had unlocked some new rifle called the c58 and after trying it for 1 game i feel trolled. did i have a bad match or is it just terrible and not worth using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
C58 is very much bad in BOCW MP. It's good in Zombies and good in WZ though.