Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20220219-live-osce-monitors-report-dramatic-increase-in-ukraine-ceasefire-violations?ref=tw_i

France also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Rodiel posted:

This is just unabashed racism, I'm shocked its tolerated here.

I'm not saying I believe that dumbass, I'm telling you that among Russians the fear of losing Siberia to the Chinese is more prominent due to the belief that lots of people need lots of empty hard to defend land and its natural resources

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Somaen posted:

Selling the Siberian forests and gas for several times below the world market rate to China isn't paying off politically. First grandpa was forced to watch the olympics alone, recognized Taiwan as a part of China and China wouldn't recognize Crimea, now this.

When someone talks about the great Russian-Chinese alignment, it's bs.

https://mobile.twitter.com/noahbarkin/status/1494999291802312708

Is this like the statement much earlier in the thread suggesting that there couldn't actually be a conflict between Russia and Ukraine because Ukraine's president said there was nothing to worry about?

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Rodiel posted:

No one in the west had to set anything into motion, never let a good crisis go to waste as they say.

Does NATO control the Russian navy? I assume I'm misunderstanding this.

I guess I now see that you were talking about the West being reactive, but that was basically my point.

There would be cause for alarm if the US was completely silent because non-Americans could see Russian military concentration as well as anyone else.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Wang Yi also said during that speech that Russia's concerns wrt Ukraine should be respected, but it still throws a wrench into the 'China has signed off on Putin seizing the Ukrainian clay' hypothesis

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Rodiel posted:

May I see the declassified intelligence?

edit: I have also heard that energy prices in Germany have been skyrocketing because the US wont allow the new gas pipeline from Russia to be turned on. I don't know what effect this has had, but it will have one in the future, as people find out why they had to pay out the rear end for power.

Energy prices in the EU have been skyrocketing for weeks, well before the Ukraine tensions ratcheted up.

Late October: https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/amp/2021/10/28/why-europe-s-energy-prices-are-soaring-and-could-get-much-worse

Early Jan: https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/01/05/european-energy-prices-are-surging-creating-frightening-uncertainty.html

I don’t know LNG prices but like regular car gasoline has gone up by like 60% at the pumps where I am within the last 12 months. I don’t think it has anything to do with Russia, or not more than a tiny fraction. Electricity prices have also gone way up, also since way before this issue.

If there IS a conflict then prices will go up certainly, but tbh I’d rather pay more for heating (and use less) than contribute to the Kremlin war machine on a nearby country that will likely lead to other direct impacts on my life (albeit far far less than it would affect Ukrainians).

For Americans I imagine the consequences of a Ukrainian invasion and sanctions would have about as much impact as if India invaded Myanmar or whatever (that is, very marginal).

E: you also have an impressively low post count for someone with an account for 15 years.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1495047629163704323?t=iwChLq97f69p9nTGGYStyw&s=19

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1495048045125410826?t=39-t9LZUjfQEyeIfd7wwgA&s=19

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
If the result of all this is that Ukraine ends up in NATO then... good job Putin, I guess?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1495059221179736067?t=1UxWwKDZnry7Kv2etKc8QQ&s=19

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rodiel posted:

So then what was Russias end game here?

I am not a Kremlinologist or a taro reader (so won't make big buxx on substack or American legacy media) so I cant tell what the hell is their plan until the smoke clears and my opinion is as useless as most of predictive analytics seen ITT and elsewhere last few weeks but

I would guess its either:
a round of expensive sabre rattling to get noticed and be taken seriously by the west;
or an actual invasion to secure LDNR with permanent Russian presence in the open and to try out military in action (TBD if it happens still)

Both sound like something that would make leadership feel very important. Neither look like plans with regard for any long-term consequences but we are in luck because most of actions that Putin done in his current two terms were actions of someone that cared more about loving around than finding out.

With these freaks most things are better explained through incompetence, not malice.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Zelenskyi also commented on the Budapest Memorandum.

quote:

We gave up our world's third largest nuclear weapons arsenal and were offered security guarantees in return. We don't have the weapons, but we don't have the security either. Nor do we have parts of our territories under control, which, by the way, are larger than Switzerland, the Netherlands, or Belgium.

He wants the signees to review the Memorandum together, and if someone disagrees, Ukraine would be free to consider it null and void.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 19, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Good.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1495065631770779650

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rodiel posted:

The capital flight is going to destroy Ukraine's economy for decades at least.

Do you think that if the US had stayed silent the capital would of ignored the massive Russian troop movements and everything else they are doing?

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

fatherboxx posted:

I am not a Kremlinologist or a taro reader (so won't make big buxx on substack or American legacy media) so I cant tell what the hell is their plan until the smoke clears and my opinion is as useless as most of predictive analytics seen ITT and elsewhere last few weeks but

I would guess its either:
a round of expensive sabre rattling to get noticed and be taken seriously by the west;
or an actual invasion to secure LDNR with permanent Russian presence in the open and to try out military in action (TBD if it happens still)

Both sound like something that would make leadership feel very important. Neither look like plans with regard for any long-term consequences but we are in luck because most of actions that Putin done in his current two terms were actions of someone that cared more about loving around than finding out.

With these freaks most things are better explained through incompetence, not malice.

Russians are humans to, they have the same wants and needs as you. Stop this racist poo poo for real, its making the situation worse.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Do you think that if the US had stayed silent the capital would of ignored the massive Russian troop movements and everything else they are doing?

idk, but i think western capital has just as much to gain from a weakened Ukraine as Russia does.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Rodiel posted:

Russians are humans to, they have the same wants and needs as you. Stop this racist poo poo for real, its making the situation worse.

I'm not inclined to be generous to that particular poster but literally nothing they said was racist. They're clearly referring to Putin and other Russian powers-that-be, not all Russians when they use the word "freaks."

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Rodiel posted:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rodiel posted:

I guessed having a Russian writer drinking vodka as avatar and writing in unnatural English would alert people of my nationality but oh well

I meant Putin amd his buddies of course, we dont make any decisions lmao

Yes we have needs and wants - mainly for our senile grandpa Vova to go install Hearts of Iron if he want to move tanks and stop screwing us and our friends in Ukraine up.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Sorry for double posting again but I wanted to address this.

Ukraine has been at war with Russia for 8 years, why did they chose to leave now if not for western saber rattling? Russia has had 100k troops on the border for almost a year.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

SA's own Brown Moses stepping in to confirm of course it's all faked:
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1495069721070342148?s=20&t=uEccVLiilpfttwQaA6O7Aw

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

I guessed having a Russian writer drinking vodka as avatar and writing in unnatural English would alert people of my nationality but oh well

I meant Putin amd his buddies of course, we dont make any decisions lmao

Yes we have needs and wants - mainly for our senile grandpa Vova to go install Hearts of Iron if he want to move tanks and stop screwing us and our friends in Ukraine up.

I love and respect you friend. I don't want another cold war between our countries!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

thats v unfortunate facial hair

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

This rear end in a top hat is part of the problem!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Rodiel posted:

Ukraine has been at war with Russia for 8 years, why did they chose to leave now if not for western saber rattling? Russia has had 100k troops on the border for almost a year.

the footprint of Russian armed forces has increased bigly in the last couple months, and whereas most of the year's buildup was materiel in storage without crews a lot of manned armour has appeared in the last two weeks

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarQs__/status/1494295353897754625

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Rodiel posted:

This rear end in a top hat is part of the problem!

This is what you think about everyone who disagrees with your point of view.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Murgos posted:

If Russia withdraws then history books are going to talk about how the strong international condemnation of the invasion contributed to that outcome. Of which Bidens multiple statements will be seen as a large part of that.

One hopefully can't coast on credulity into history books. In the end, if this fizzles out, it'll be decades before we know what was going on behind the scenes, but history books will not be giving all the credit to Western leaders for their tremendous leadership during this time. We'll hear that from a few liberal lackey media types and that's about it.

No evidence has actually been presented beyond what the whole world can see, it's just been stated without proof that Russia is going to invade Kyiv. That takes a lot more trust than believing that Russia is going to send troops into Donbas (which I do think could happen). And if the administration can actually get credit for that from the slow brains of the world, it seems like they're making quite a PR mistake by not discovering a similar crisis in Taiwan or Korea.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Shes Not Impressed posted:

This is what you think about everyone who disagrees with your point of view.

imagine fronting for brown moses lool

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

socialsecurity posted:

It took 4 months for the situation to get where we're now, and throughout it the WH's messaging has been consistently "Ukraine is about to be completely destroyed" (paraphrasing), which is needless to say a panic-inducing drum to be banging on, especially when you're claiming to be looking to defuse the situation.

This is from someone who believes Russia intended to launch an invasion from the beginning: there has been an escalatory ramp-up to this, and messaging could've communicated risk realistically and commensurately to it. Capital does react accordingly.

Even now, as the situation heats up in Donbas most likely to provide a pretext for 'intervention', we have stuff like this

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1495056410270478346
which is de-escalatory messaging while simultaneously the Ukrainian government has been taking steps to manage the invasion risk, contrasted with the WH telling Ukrainians to be ready to have their cities annihilated by the baby-eating Russian vampires.

But the WH has always been more interested in imposing maximum cost on Russia; how their tactics affect Ukraine is secondary.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rodiel posted:

We’re looking at troop presence increase from ~40k to ~190k, and quite some changes in troop behaviour. Have you not noticed that Ukrainian ports have been blockaded for a week, for instance?

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

the footprint of Russian armed forces has increased bigly in the last couple months, and whereas most of the year's buildup was materiel in storage without crews a lot of manned armour has appeared in the last two weeks

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarQs__/status/1494295353897754625

Yeah thats bad. I'm not on the side of the Russians, but I cant countenance this western propaganda sorry.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We’re looking at troop presence increase from ~40k to ~190k, and quite some changes in troop behaviour. Have you not noticed that Ukrainian ports have been blockaded for a week, for instance?

I notice that. I try to understand why the other side does what they do. It seems like that's alien here sometimes, that's why I spoke up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rodiel posted:

I notice that. I try to understand why the other side does what they do. It seems like that's alien here sometimes, that's why I spoke up.

What would us, stupid Eastern European savages, do without your piercing American insight.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pirates of the Zaporozhian

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What would us, stupid Eastern European savages, do without your piercing American insight.

LMAO, if you don't care about what Americans think, why did you join NATO?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's rather uncalled for.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Rodiel posted:

Yeah thats bad. I'm not on the side of the Russians, but I cant countenance this western propaganda sorry.

Typical american, dismissing anything that doesn't align with your worldview as state propaganda smh

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah CZS, why did *you* join NATO

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

That's rather uncalled for.

Racism is ok, as long as its against the right race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Rodiel posted:

Biden is being pushed by a faction of the US elite that wants a new cold war. They don't care about Ukraine or even the US. They just want to keep the cash flowing.

How exactly would this be profitable for anyone