Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Are you tired of being totally roasted over your knee-jerk conspiratorial cynicism or what? Because what you're saying is utter nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Before we get serious: when you see someone wearing a shirt that says "El Presidente" or a button that has "#1" on it, do you go "Oh poo poo, that guy is in charge..."?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Oh, I get it. You literally know nothing about Canadian politics and just make poo poo up because you can't read a newspaper. Sorry about coming in here with my "knowledge" and "education" and "actual experience in politics on the Hill"

you could read "The Longer I'm Prime Minister" for a good primer

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
goddamn it, this is the KS thread no the Canada thread.

Get out here Blackula no one wants you here, said the villagers.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Good point. I'm sorry Kansas, your state is so boring I forgot where I was.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Blackula69 posted:

Good point. I'm sorry Kansas, your state is so boring I forgot where I was.

It's like purgatory.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have something Kansas related! I work at a natural history museum just outside of Kansas City and the other day, after I was done giving a tour and talking about dinosaurs, a group of parents came up to me and said that while everything in the museum was very interesting they noticed an appalling lack of God being mentioned or any attention given to the creation story. So until we get that part straightened out they won't be able to come back with their children.

They did, however, appreciate that I mentioned Kansas used to be covered by a great inland sea for a number of years. Thank you for the constructive criticism, church goers!

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

I have something Kansas related too. I was born there and every day I thank god that our family was moved to another military base only a few years after my birth. I look through the mirror at the alternate timeline where I grew up in Kansas, and I shudder.

Also it's true, there are no trees.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

AssassinPrincess posted:

I actually live here currently, and as it stands, no, there are trees. The fields are usually bordered by them. They keep the soil firm so that the topsoil doesn't blow away in the case of a nasty duststorm.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I actually live here currently, and as it stands, no, there are trees. The fields are usually bordered by them. They keep the soil firm so that the topsoil doesn't blow away in the case of a nasty duststorm.

is this proof that kansas can learn from its past? the jury is still out but kansologists are intrigued

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
There wouldn't be much of a Kansas left if they didn't learn that lesson at least.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The only reason it was done was because they were giving away the land if you planted the trees around it. I'm not sure there was a lesson learned in the end.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Blackula69 posted:

Are you tired of being totally roasted over your knee-jerk conspiratorial cynicism or what? Because what you're saying is utter nonsense.

I'm not ur friend, pal

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Mr. Pumroy posted:

is this proof that kansas can learn from its past? the jury is still out but kansologists are intrigued

lol no.

KS would blame the democrats for the dustbowl and refuse to spend money planting a bunch of faggy trees.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Broseph Brostar posted:

The only reason it was done was because they were giving away the land if you planted the trees around it. I'm not sure there was a lesson learned in the end.

there are actually places in KS that will give away land if you promise to build on it.

you would have to live here though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquette,_Kansas

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007

AssassinPrincess posted:

The trees are just at the right height, which is zero.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

NotJesus posted:

The trees are just at the right height, which is zero.

My weird old botany professor always said the only good tree is a dead tree.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

SalTheBard posted:

Holy poo poo this article is CRAZY. What a scumbag.

quote:

Their black Labrador retriever was found slain in a ditch 15 miles from their home.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
What is it with the GOP and dog death :tinfoil:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Of course they won't prosecute the guy for killing that dog

because the dog was black

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

What is it with the GOP and dog death :tinfoil:

It makes Brownback an obvious running mate for the Huckster

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So Kris Kobach is filing to not have the paper voting records from the last election released because it would be too hard:

http://cjonline.com/news/2015-08-24/kris-kobach-seeks-block-release-voting-machine-paper-tapes

quote:

Lehman told a Sedgwick County District Court judge in a separate filing last week production of the tapes would be “unnecessarily burdensome” because the material can’t easily be copied. Each person’s vote in the 2013 election takes up about 27˝ inches of the electronic machine’s paper trail. Each roll from the 2014 election is 385 feet long, and stored in 42 boxes that aren’t segregated by precinct or voting district.

If I'm the judge, I say "Well you do a lovely job of keeping records then because what else can these records ever be used for?"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Is there any real reason a vote needs to take up two feet worth of paper, besides making it hard to recount/review?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Neurolimal posted:

Is there any real reason a vote needs to take up two feet worth of paper, besides making it hard to recount/review?

olds cannot see very well

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

You can see it print while you're voting. It's like.

VOTER INFORMATION

VOTE BLAH BLAH BLAH

VOTE BLAH BLAH BLAH

DONE WITH YOUR VOTE

DATE

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Neurolimal posted:

they probably just print out everything on the ballot, including the text of tax changes

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I wouldn't put that scumfuck Kobach above voter fraud at all.

It would explain how Brownback got reelected despite being hated across KS

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

spacemang_spliff posted:

Which is ironic given that voter fraud was his main plank when running. As much as I hate Brownback, I would almost be able to deal with him as long as Kobach was gone.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article35684450.html

0.1% employment growth over the last year.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol they aren't trying hard enough, Reagan is shaking his head disapprovingly from Republican Heaven (Hell on Earth)

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Didn't cut taxes nearly enough to spur new growth.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Yowza, with growth like that Brokeback might be replacing Walker as the designated Koch butt baby

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RINOS the lot of 'em

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Good news thread, I might be moving to KCMO soon

I'll finally be moving out of Kansas :v:

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

They need to cut taxes again and shut down all schools to pay for it.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

spacemang_spliff posted:

Good news thread, I might be moving to KCMO soon

I'll finally be moving out of Kansas :v:

Unless ur getting Fiber I are wasting ur time

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

i still think kansas is p tite, politics aside :peanut::coolfish::peanut:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Once again Conservatism Has Been Failed

Shameful

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Once again Conservatism Has Been Failed

Shameful

The Free Market cannot fail, it can only be failed

But yeah this is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

spacemang_spliff posted:

As a current JoCo resident yeah voter fraud would make a lot of sense

One thing I haven't seen pointed out in the thread yet (though I basically only read the first 3 and last 3 pages) is that Brownback almost lost to a loving 3rd party independent last election cycle because he was so loathed. There was an enormous fight over trying to keep the Democratic Party's candidate on the ballot (he wanted to give up and withdraw) because the Kansas GOP knew it would split the vote. It did in a number of districts, of course, and the combined Indep + Dem percentage would have been about even with Brownback so they were probably right to fight it so hard because the Kansas GOP could have very well lost to an Independent, which would've been humongous lol.

Kevin Yoder also won on a 40/60 margin last cycle, which would be impressive if he weren't running against a single Libertarian candidate who didn't have a single out-of-state dollar in his entire budget and an overall budget so low he didn't even have the most token recognition campaign going. The Democratic party didn't even bother to advance a candidate against Yoder. This is literally 40% of Yoder's district voting against him out of spite.

Anyway I can confirm that eastern Kansas is generally p cool and interesting. The food is loving amazing, even vegetarian fare is pretty easy to find and it's all great & pretty cheap compared to high dining further west. The local beer is basically all good as hell, there's like a dozen microbreweries in KC (there should be about a dozen more by the local population though) and there's also a ton in Lawrence. They all basically know what they're doing. There are also a couple of wineries in eastern Kansas that are surprisingly not poo poo. While nobody's competing with Napa Valley any time soon you can get a pretty competent bottle of 10 dollar wine with a pretty distinctive flavor and body from local wineries, which is more than you can say for most midwestern states.

god help you if you get to Topeka or further west though.

• Locked thread