Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, it's similar here in the US, too. For instance, in my state, it's not legal to have any colors of lights except (I think) white. No red or blue, obviously, and no greens and some other colors, too.

But I can light up my helmet/clothing all I want. I'm considering putting my Blinkytape beneath my fairings and powering it with the bike's battery. It'd be understated. I have a feeling I wouldn't get in trouble for it, even if the cops noticed. I think a lot of the laws are just so people can't impersonate an emergency vehicle or be a complete light menace. For examples, see any picture of the cruise at a Sturgis meet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Just bought the Icon Sensory helmet. :ubsmigghh: It was the absolute perfect fit for me, I love it. It should arrive in a few days and I will post a pic with the Lego Man visor.

Also we are looking at women's gear for my girlfriend: it is hell. Nothing fits right and if it does the armor is totally insubstantial. I have so much sympathy for all you goonettes.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Chichevache posted:

Just bought the Icon Sensory helmet. :ubsmigghh: It was the absolute perfect fit for me, I love it. It should arrive in a few days and I will post a pic with the Lego Man visor.

Also we are looking at women's gear for my girlfriend: it is hell. Nothing fits right and if it does the armor is totally insubstantial. I have so much sympathy for all you goonettes.

Unless she's a.) tiny and/or b.) very slim, there's not a lot out there for women. I'm neither of those. So I wear men's stuff. Now that I'm running every day, I'm hoping I can rock something like Rev'It stuff for women, which I've heard is good for tall/thin.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

On the other hand, I'm tiny and very slim, usually a 36-38 euro size. Rarely do I find anything below 40. My pants especially are all too big. Good luck ever getting deals off CL in those sizes, I've never seen any. Tiny hands and feet so I can't even buy men's boots/gloves, have to stick with the pathetic offerings for women. I really wanted a pair of racer r-safes :(

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

On the other hand, I'm tiny and very slim, usually a 36-38 euro size. Rarely do I find anything below 40. My pants especially are all too big. Good luck ever getting deals off CL in those sizes, I've never seen any. Tiny hands and feet so I can't even buy men's boots/gloves, have to stick with the pathetic offerings for women. I really wanted a pair of racer r-safes :(

My girl is short as hell (5') with big hips, so men's is out. We ended up with a Dainese Hydra Flux jacket. We couldn't find gloves or boots so far.

She also doesn't fit the Airmada helmets, so we couldn't get her the bad rear end Ravens graphic helmet. :sigh:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What size feet does she have? Alpinestars men's boots (including race stuff) actually go way down in size, she could try one of those. For gloves I currently have a pair of dainese steel core carbons in xs (mens obv, I'm an m in womens), but they're still a little big for me on the outside fingers. Gotta try doing the water adjustment thing.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
My husband and I have toyed with the notion of making our own gear. For the cost of good (700D+) Cordura and CE-rated armor, it seems like someone with some sewing knowledge and the right equipment could make customizable gear pretty easily.

But yeah, women's offerings generally have a good looking cut, but good god, there's so much pink. Ugh. And butterflies and poo poo.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Aerostich should make a LOVE PINK line of gear.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Lynza posted:

But yeah, women's offerings generally have a good looking cut, but good god, there's so much pink. Ugh. And butterflies and poo poo.

:( :hf: :(

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
What about youth sizes for the small ladies? I don't know what kinds of stuff they offer, but is that an option? It seems like it might be more MX-centric.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

What size feet does she have? Alpinestars men's boots (including race stuff) actually go way down in size, she could try one of those. For gloves I currently have a pair of dainese steel core carbons in xs (mens obv, I'm an m in womens), but they're still a little big for me on the outside fingers. Gotta try doing the water adjustment thing.

She's a 6.5 shoe and an X SMALL in women's gloves.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah my feet are a 6.5 too, have her try on some alpinestars boots then. Their womens gloves (gp+) go down to XS too.

Lynza posted:

What about youth sizes for the small ladies? I don't know what kinds of stuff they offer, but is that an option? It seems like it might be more MX-centric.

I tried to fit myself into a youth dainese 1 piece once for shits and giggles, it was hilarious. I'm actually 5'4", so it wasn't long enough, but regular stuff is too wide for my height. Guess we just gotta wait till companies start making better stuff for us.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Aerostich should make a LOVE PINK line of gear.

They do now offer pink for the impact areas as a standard color option. Main body still has to choose from black, blue, grey, tan, red or high viz. http://www.aerostich.com/rc-colors

The sizing chart for men goes down to 34R for 5'1 and they offer women's sizes down to 2. With sleeve/leg mods they can probably accommodate a lot of the tiny elf girl crowd. Downside is it looks like an aerostich and costs 1300 but you'll be set for gear for years to come.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Reading this blows my mind; I thought the crap sizing and butterflies everywhere was just down to my local store being useless with their stock. I didn't realise it was basically endemic to riding gear.

When my missus got gloves she took one look at the women's stuff, saw all the pastel flowers and then asked for the exact same gloves as mine just in XS.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
M42 or Lynza, do either of you have long hair? What do you do with it under your helmet? My girlfriend's hair is pretty long and she wanted to know what you two do.

Or maybe I should be asking nsap?

Slavvy posted:

Reading this blows my mind; I thought the crap sizing and butterflies everywhere was just down to my local store being useless with their stock. I didn't realise it was basically endemic to riding gear.

When my missus got gloves she took one look at the women's stuff, saw all the pastel flowers and then asked for the exact same gloves as mine just in XS.

The butterflies are pretty cool though. :confused: We need more in the men's stuff.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
My hair's not super long, but I use one of these and I love it:

http://www.raci-babi.com/Doo-Rag-and-Helmet-Liner.aspx

I use the one for short hair, but they have one for long hair. I love the ladies who run this site and make the head thingies. They're really nice.

I know there are some leather thong dealies, too, but those just scream "I LUV HARLEEZ" to me, so I avoid them.

I also use a Buff when it's cold, and you can definitely run long hair down your back into your jacket with that.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I just put mine in a low bob/ponytail.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
^^^ So does nsaP.

Lynza posted:

My husband and I have toyed with the notion of making our own gear. For the cost of good (700D+) Cordura and CE-rated armor, it seems like someone with some sewing knowledge and the right equipment could make customizable gear pretty easily.

I realize you're probably just talking about fuckaround/commuting gear, but ordering custom suits is pretty normal for trackday bros.

Slavvy posted:

Women get butterflies, we get black. I didn't even mean to, but all of my gear has ended up black. Black pants(all that was in stock), black jacket(my fault), black helmet(all that was in stock), black boots, black gloves(could have waited 3wks for another color). I probably look like an armored douchebag.
I might get one of these in black/white/yellow next year.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 10, 2014

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah, I would love it if there was some more poo poo available with colours other than "Black, with some white if you're lucky". I saw a guy selling a textile jacket on ADVRider that had these fluro green highlights that I really wanted to buy but it was two sizes too big. That said, there seems to be a decent array of leather dying options if you get a custom made leather suit from one of the Pakistani tailors on ebay. Not sure what the quality is like though...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ephphatha posted:

Yeah, I would love it if there was some more poo poo available with colours other than "Black, with some white if you're lucky". I saw a guy selling a textile jacket on ADVRider that had these fluro green highlights that I really wanted to buy but it was two sizes too big. That said, there seems to be a decent array of leather dying options if you get a custom made leather suit from one of the Pakistani tailors on ebay. Not sure what the quality is like though...

Rev'It seems to have a decent selection of colours, my Airwave jacket is mostly grey. Downside is stuff that isn't black does show bugs, oil, etc a lot more.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Downside is stuff that isn't black does show bugs, oil, etc a lot more.

Exactly this. I had a Joe Rocket (yes, you can laugh) leather jacket that was all black around the torso with gray shoulders/arms and a bright white cut of leather that went across the chest. The jacket remained relatively clean until the one day I caught a horsefly or something directly in the white area. I tried soap and water, commercial leather cleaners, leather saddle cleaner I picked up at a tack shop, yet nothing could clean the yellow bug stain off the white.

I'm guessing the culprit is "cheap leather" but just keep in mind that whatever bug decides to embed itself in your white leather jacket will remain there for a while.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Might be, too, that if the leather had no protection prior to the bugsplat, it got set in. So for new leather-buyers, be sure to treat your leather before you wear it. Even if you ride in dry conditions, some mink oil or other treatment helps keep the bugs/road filth from soaking in.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Ephphatha posted:

I like black. Heck, my wife likes black as well so she gets miffed at the pink gear.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chichevache posted:

She's a 6.5 shoe and an X SMALL in women's gloves.

That's also a 4.5 in youth size, you should look into youth boots. Could probably score some cheap too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's also a 4.5 in youth size, you should look into youth boots. Could probably score some cheap too.

The boots, not the youth.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Found this on slickdeals, Revzilla has some good deals on A* and Dainese stuff looks like.
http://slickdeals.net/f/7502902-alpinestar-gear-up-to-50-additional-10-off-on-alpinestars-dianese-and-other-deals?v=1&src=tdw

From the link:

"For all the motorcycle enthusiasts out there, Revzilla has some really nice deals going on especially on Alpinestars (additional 10% off on Alpinestar & Dianese) with code ITALIAN10 + free shipping over $39.99"

And it has some additional links on the page. Good luck!

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Minty Swagger posted:

Found this on slickdeals, Revzilla has some good deals on A* and Dainese stuff looks like.
http://slickdeals.net/f/7502902-alpinestar-gear-up-to-50-additional-10-off-on-alpinestars-dianese-and-other-deals?v=1&src=tdw

From the link:

"For all the motorcycle enthusiasts out there, Revzilla has some really nice deals going on especially on Alpinestars (additional 10% off on Alpinestar & Dianese) with code ITALIAN10 + free shipping over $39.99"

I just ordered a new A* jacket a week ago, it isn't even here yet! Arghhh

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

M42 posted:

I just put mine in a low bob/ponytail.

I find that if any of it is free to blow around I just get a tangled mess. In that pic from Deals Gap my hair was partially undone and it was a mess to untangle.

I have a buff i wear like a balaclava as soon as the temp starts to drop.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

nsaP posted:

I find that if any of it is free to blow around I just get a tangled mess. In that pic from Deals Gap my hair was partially undone and it was a mess to untangle.

Just use more hairbands then, like so:

(e/ I saw a real male human wearing his hair like this once. He was also wearing a hat, no points for guessing what kind. Please do not emulate his fashion crime)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 12, 2014

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I don't think nsaP can compete with that cleavage, though.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The waistline and skinny legs, however,

For anyone who doesn't remember:

Half undone bun means tangle city.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Schroeder91 posted:

I just ordered a new A* jacket a week ago, it isn't even here yet! Arghhh

Call them up or send them an email asking if they'll pricematch the offer. They're super chill and usually always say yes if you're nice. Worst case buy another one and return the old one but I think they know you can do that so they just honor it. :smugwizard:

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

What's a good leather conditioner for whites. Most of the ones I use usually darkens leather.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kaliber posted:

What's a good leather conditioner for whites. Most of the ones I use usually darkens leather.

Renapur (sp?). I used it on my white gear with no problems at all. No darkening that I have noticed and their site promises the same. Everyone around here swears by the stuff.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Kaliber posted:

Lexsol, pretty much the best stuff out there.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Minty Swagger posted:

From the link:

I bought an A*s GP-R off that. Thanks.

Hopefully it fits.

SmokedSquid
Dec 20, 2009
Can anyone tell me anything about the Dianese Air-Flux? This thing is sexy as poo poo but slightly worried about the safety of it - using it for highway/commuting riding.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

So, I've ordered a rev'it vapor jacket and I've noticed that it and several other rev'it jackets all have these flat loops in the center near the zipper. I can't figure out what they're for and my googleing has failed. Don't suppose anyone knows?

These things -

I just know it's going to be something obvious and stupid but it's driving me crazy.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 23, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Bubba posted:

Can anyone tell me anything about the Dianese Air-Flux? This thing is sexy as poo poo but slightly worried about the safety of it - using it for highway/commuting riding.

It's an ok summer jacket. It's mesh so if you fall it will not survive and if you fall hard you'll probably wish you had a leather jacket, but it has some armor and a slot for a back protector so it's still better than riding squid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Lexorin posted:

So, I've ordered a rev'it vapor jacket and I've noticed that it and several other rev'it jackets all have these flat loops in the center near the zipper. I can't figure out what they're for and my googleing has failed. Don't suppose anyone knows?

These things -

I just know it's going to be something obvious and stupid but it's driving me crazy.

Those look like the loops on my Dainese jacket for adjusting the size of the waist, but I would assume you'd have noticed if there was a long leather strap blowing in the wind so :iiam: to me.