Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Two questions, unrelated:

I made flight reservations on Continental a few weeks ago...they got absorbed by United. I assume I just go to the United desk now for my flight? Hell, now that I think about it, they might still have the old "Continental" desks/signs still around...

Second:

Is there really no easy way to electronically send someone else money in this day and age? PayPal (with it's drat fees) is really the only option? Why don't banks let you simply do an electronic transfer with routing and account numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
BoA lets you do that online, but there is a $3 fee.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is there really no easy way to electronically send someone else money in this day and age? PayPal (with it's drat fees) is really the only option? Why don't banks let you simply do an electronic transfer with routing and account numbers?

Amazon Payments
Google Checkout
Dwolla
Serve
ING P2P
Moneybookers
Square

Most will take a small cut nowadays.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Chase bank lets you do this for free, but only to another Chase account if I remember correctly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bitcoins.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I made flight reservations on Continental a few weeks ago...they got absorbed by United. I assume I just go to the United desk now for my flight? Hell, now that I think about it, they might still have the old "Continental" desks/signs still around...

Second:

From pay pal's help section in regards to fees when sending money from person to person:

Free when the money comes from PayPal balance or bank account.

2.9% + $0.30 USD
when the money comes from a debit or credit card or PayPal Credit
(the sender decides who pays this fee).

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

RaoulDuke12 posted:

From pay pal's help section in regards to fees when sending money from person to person:
Free when the money comes from PayPal balance or bank account.
2.9% + $0.30 USD
when the money comes from a debit or credit card or PayPal Credit
(the sender decides who pays this fee).
If you can swipe their credit card square is 2.75% (And they'll give you a free card reader for smartphones). Manual cc number entry is more though, 3.5% + $0.15. But gently caress PayPal.
https://squareup.com/pricing

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

uptown posted:

I bought apple cider vinegar to clean cat pee out of a mattress. Ended up using enzymatic cleaner instead. What should I use the ACV for?

dilute it in water for an amazing hair rinse (strips out gunk, leaves hair soft and shiny).

Or, dulute it a bit further and use it as a natural facial toner!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Something like this: Rubbermade 10 Gallon Containers and lids?

YES. Thank you.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

DrBouvenstein posted:

Second:

Really? In the UK, every bank lets you do bank-to-bank transfers online, instantly.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Experto Crede posted:

Really? In the UK, every bank lets you do bank-to-bank transfers online, instantly.

My credit union in BC and my friend's banks in Canada have email money transfers, cost is from 50 cents to a buck fifty.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

See if your billpay feature will let you do this. I can definitely have it send a check to whoever I want, but I can also pay into a checking account if I want too. My car loan is with another bank, and I get a discount if I pay that automatically from one of their checking accounts. So I do an online payment from my main bank into my checking account at the other bank, and everything's golden.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

when worlds collide posted:

My credit union in BC and my friend's banks in Canada have email money transfers, cost is from 50 cents to a buck fifty.

Wtf? Really? It's all totally free here, up to £10,000 a day.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
There's also Serve, from Amex, that would do the trick.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Experto Crede posted:

Wtf? Really? It's all totally free here, up to £10,000 a day.

'Tis truth. Banks here have become less and less regulated and charge fees on just about everything, unless you carry a positive balance of at least a grand or so. At least the banks that I've seen locally. Mileage may vary in other provinces. My credit union is the best I've found, they have the lowest charges. I know that Scotiabank will charge something obscene like $38 for an accidental NSF cheque.

We're too close to the USA. :)

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is there anything wrong with having a TV stand that's not as wide as the screen but can still comfortably support the base? Is it just bad aesthetically?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

stubblyhead posted:

See if your billpay feature will let you do this. I can definitely have it send a check to whoever I want, but I can also pay into a checking account if I want too. My car loan is with another bank, and I get a discount if I pay that automatically from one of their checking accounts. So I do an online payment from my main bank into my checking account at the other bank, and everything's golden.

I think I can do that, but it sends an actual, physical, check in the mail...my online bill pay did that to a couple local utility accounts I had for a while...I was looking into how to get it there within a day.

And I was set to use PayPal, but my friend doesn't have (nor wants to get, for whatever reason) a confirmed account, so she can only send, not receive, money.

Do you need an AmEx card for Serve?

Edit: I guess you don't, but that still won't work, since bank account verification takes a few days...no wonder companies like Western Union can stay in business, they're still one of the best options for getting CASH NOW to someone far away.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 13, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Do you need an AmEx card for Serve?

No, when you sign up for an account they send you a card thats attached to your online account. You can also attach a bank account and transfer the money out, iirc. Theres also western union, but they also have fees.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think I can do that, but it sends an actual, physical, check in the mail...my online bill pay did that to a couple local utility accounts I had for a while...I was looking into how to get it there within a day.

Yeah, it would depend on how your bank's system is set up. Mine will send paper checks to anybody I want, but they can do electronic transfers to some places (large utilities, cell phone providers, some other banks, etc.). It may be worth calling up your bank and asking if it's possible to do that electronically. FWIW, I do my banking through USAA who I really can't endorse enough. If you're at all unhappy with your bank look into it. Pretty much anyone can open a savings/checking account there, I think it's just property insurance that is still limited to people with a connection to the military.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is there a way to make use of a set of computer speakers with a Wii using component cables?

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Ularg posted:

Is there a way to make use of a set of computer speakers with a Wii using component cables?

Assuming the speakers use a normal 3.5mm line input (looks like headphone jacks)? Just run the stereo audio output from the Wii into a female RCA to 3.5m adapter and the component straight into the display.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

SIHappiness posted:

Assuming the speakers use a normal 3.5mm line input (looks like headphone jacks)? Just run the stereo audio output from the Wii into a female RCA to 3.5m adapter and the component straight into the display.

This'll work, thanks! Now I just got to hope the cables reach.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

On ebay, is there certain counties that should be avoided shipping to from the US? I know Nigeria, and a part of Russia? Help me not get screwed over :ohdear:

eta: also, do I pay custom fees if I ship usps? I don't think so but I've only shipped a single gift to a UK friend.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Wedemeyer posted:

On ebay, is there certain counties that should be avoided shipping to from the US? I know Nigeria, and a part of Russia? Help me not get screwed over :ohdear:

eta: also, do I pay custom fees if I ship usps? I don't think so but I've only shipped a single gift to a UK friend.

I'm pretty sure, at least with USPS, customs is paid by the recipient.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Wedemeyer posted:

It is not an uncommon policy to have in your listing "will only ship to United States." (Canada's pretty safe to throw in there too.) The US is a pretty freaking huge market, it vastly simplifies shipping, and eliminates a great deal of your scammer worries.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dudebro posted:

Is there anything wrong with having a TV stand that's not as wide as the screen but can still comfortably support the base? Is it just bad aesthetically?

If it's in a heavily trafficked area with clumsy people passing by, the TV would benefit from a bigger base just so it'd be the first thing for people to run into. It would also visually ward them off more.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Anyone know any biodegradable alternatives to plastic bags I can use to put my garbage in? Is that even worth considering, given that it's going to landfill anyway (or whatever the hell they do with garbage in Melbourne)?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Hydrolith posted:

Anyone know any biodegradable alternatives to plastic bags I can use to put my garbage in? Is that even worth considering, given that it's going to landfill anyway (or whatever the hell they do with garbage in Melbourne)?

When I was a kid we used paper grocery bags, don't know if they still have those where you live or not.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Hydrolith posted:

I've looked into this before I've yet to find a magic bullet. Biodegradable bags do exist (example), but they tend to be pretty expensive. Plus they can be hard to find consistently and ordering/shipping them from online seems like it would undo most of the environmental savings you're trying to create.

Best answer I've come up with is get a sturdy plastic rubbish bin and wash it out often.

Somewhat related, but be sure to re-use your fruit/veggie bags at the grocery store too! No need to get a new one every time you pick up a few tomatoes.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
e- problem solved.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 13, 2012

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Dudebro posted:

Aside from the above mentioned traffic issue, it also means you have less space to work with. A lot of the time there's a good number of other devices and accessories you want to keep around your TV. In my place, various videogame consoles and controllers sit on the same stand as the TV. At my friend's, the TV took up 99% of the space, so the consoles sat on the floor, controllers got lost in the couch, and so forth. In a high traffic area that causes the problem of kicking consoles or tripping over cords as well.

The aesthetics of course come from the piece of furniture you're using as a TV stand as well. Mine looks godawful because it's actually just a table with piles of crap on it half-hidden by the TV. The friend I mentioned used a little cabinet/night stand thing and it didn't look all that bad.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Nighthand posted:

Aside from the above mentioned traffic issue, it also means you have less space to work with. A lot of the time there's a good number of other devices and accessories you want to keep around your TV. In my place, various videogame consoles and controllers sit on the same stand as the TV. At my friend's, the TV took up 99% of the space, so the consoles sat on the floor, controllers got lost in the couch, and so forth. In a high traffic area that causes the problem of kicking consoles or tripping over cords as well.

The aesthetics of course come from the piece of furniture you're using as a TV stand as well. Mine looks godawful because it's actually just a table with piles of crap on it half-hidden by the TV. The friend I mentioned used a little cabinet/night stand thing and it didn't look all that bad.

The TV stand I'm looking at is small, but would fit the TV's base/swivel, and it has a generous shelf underneath for the receiver and a few other things. I don't plan on having a Blu-Ray player and three consoles under there. I will have a PC though, so I'd have to put that on the floor behind the entertainment unit.

It's going to be in a corner of a room so not much traffic there.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008
I mailed a check out on the 7th for the deposit on my lease. The lady says she still hasn't received it and wants me to stop payment on the check and transfer the money to her through BoA instead. What's going on here? I've never heard of mail getting lost. Should I be hesitant?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Swingline posted:

I mailed a check out on the 7th for the deposit on my lease. The lady says she still hasn't received it and wants me to stop payment on the check and transfer the money to her through BoA instead. What's going on here? I've never heard of mail getting lost. Should I be hesitant?
Talk to your bank and see if the check has been cashed. If it hasn't, put a stop payment on it. They may charge you a fee to do this, I'm not sure, but BOA charges for everything under the sun. Mail does get lost occasionally. You can pay a bit extra next time and have it fedex'ed to her with a tracking number to ensure it gets there.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Wedemeyer posted:

One country that I'd always put a HUGE disclaimer up for is Italy. Apparently their postal service is absolute poo poo and there's a 50/50 chance the package will get "lost" in transit.

If you're worried about getting scammed just don't take orders from people with no history or feedback, and if something seems fishy then cancel the sale.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I have a question about cable modems. I'm going to sign up for comcast this week and it'd be faster/cheaper to order a modem off of amazon since Comcast doesn't allow modem pick up anymore. Its been years since I've had cable internet (previously DSL), so when I looked at their approved modems list.. I got a little lost. Heres a part of what I'm looking at, for reference.

I don't know what I really need. Theres about a dozen or two other options, I'm really hoping something like this modem would do, but it only has a check mark under the "Pic" table, but it does have 3 cert stars, which means nothing to me because I have no idea what any of that means.

e: and I just noticed some are called cable modems and some are called telephony modems. I do not understand :(

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Looks like I'm stuck with plastic for the time being. The apartment complex I'm in has some rule about bagging the rubbish, otherwise I'd use a washable bin. Oh well, thanks.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
What is the easiest way to find if a book has been translated into any other languages--preferably with a list of those languages?

For example, I want to find (unlikely, I know) if Calvin Luther Martin's work The Way of the Human Being has been translated into Turkish, so as to have mercy on my Turkish genius philosopher husband's comprehension of a book I enjoyed in college. (He can read English well for technical things and my personal nonsense, but a book like that might be too much so I hope to spring it on 'im in his native Turkish.) So I'm looking for a certain book...in a certain language.

Another example would be if I wanted to find some of the really easy-reading young-adult novels I loved when I was twelve--things by LJ Smith about witches and vampires and djinn...stuff I should be embarrassed about--in a foreign language that I am interested in improving in. With the studies I have already done in various languages, I think it would really be fun to re-read these books I have re-read about a hundred times as a kid and choose from a list of translations to decide if I will immerse and re-live my dorky childhood literature in Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, French I guess, Welsh, Turkish, Arabic. I don't bloody care. I just want to see what my options are.

So is there a site that can help do this? ...or do I have to impotently poke around every individual publications site looking for this information, or scouring Amazon.com and using some sort of search filters I am not yet aware of? Or has my brain completely gone into pudding years after graduation and I have just publicly embarrassed myself?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

2508084 posted:

I have a question about cable modems. I'm going to sign up for comcast this week and it'd be faster/cheaper to order a modem off of amazon since Comcast doesn't allow modem pick up anymore. Its been years since I've had cable internet (previously DSL), so when I looked at their approved modems list.. I got a little lost. Heres a part of what I'm looking at, for reference.

I don't know what I really need. Theres about a dozen or two other options, I'm really hoping something like this modem would do, but it only has a check mark under the "Pic" table, but it does have 3 cert stars, which means nothing to me because I have no idea what any of that means.

e: and I just noticed some are called cable modems and some are called telephony modems. I do not understand :(

You need a cable modem - telephony modems are for 56K or DSL. Buy this guy: the Motorola Surfboard. I have Comcast, I have this modem, works great. It's probably what they'd rent you if you were renting a modem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gravity Pike posted:

You need a cable modem - telephony modems are for 56K or DSL.

Those telephony modems are ACTUALLY for when you have Comcast Voice service. They provide internet out of the ethernet port, and your dial tone out of the telephone line ports, and they come with internal battery packs so you can still place calls for up to about 2 hours after the power fails, or keep your internet connection up for like 30 minutes after a power failure.

Obviously, if you're not planning on doing a internet/voice double play or internet/tv/voice triple play plan, they're useless to get because they cost extra and you won't use the telephony functionality. Although the modem staying online through short power failures can be convenient if you have unstable power,what with having a built-in UPS.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 14, 2012