Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tedronai66 posted:

Not on my account yet. But I do see one about verifying my discount. Jose was kind enough to put me on a GE discount. I of course do not work for GE.

With the discount my actual company now gets... I'd save maybe 5 bucks over Verizon, for much shittier speeds. So I'm at a loss for what to do if they do take away my discount. Maybe I'll give tmo more of a run than 4 days.

Not much you can do. All the carriers seem to finally be cracking down on false discounts. :(

Guess you could find a friend who works for sprint and go with SWAC lines or whatever. That would save you some cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Changing what about the terms and services, exactly?

We just had to put out slips with our brochures saying that people with WiMax devices might get it. It basically says they're switching to LTE and you can keep what you have, get a free LTE device, or cancel with no ETF.

I'm guessing if you already have an LTE device or a 3G-only one you're out of luck, but if you're on WiMax you may soon have an out.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

TVs Ian posted:

It basically says they're switching to LTE and you can keep what you have, get a free LTE device, or cancel with no ETF.

I'll be curious to see what options they offer, and if it'll apply to me since I'm eligible for an upgrade but still using my EVO 3D. My guess is it'll be a choice between the LG Viper and the Galaxy Victory.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I just purchased SquareTrade insurance for my S4. $99 for 2 years. $99 deductible.

:shill:

I contacted Sprint to turn off TEP and was informed it was never applied to my account, despite being told so by the Employee Care guy when I ordered the phone.

I've never had a smartphone stolen or lost during my 7 years of ownership, so this is a better fit for me.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

But will SquareTrade tell you to gently caress off if your phone only reboots itself intermittently?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Sprint technical guys I am looking for any advice you can give for my ailing HTC EVO 4G LTE.

About a month ago it randomly bricked when I shut off the phone. I sent it off to HTC, they replaced the motherboard and battery, and all was fine for a week. Then, it bricked again while I was actually using the device. I sent it to HTC again, and when I received it back I couldn't activate it. The MEID was invalid in Sprint's system, we had to do a ClickIt ticket so I could change to the new MEID from the motherboard, and now the phone is working. The problem now though, is that I can't get LTE. I've tried everything I can think of - making sure LTE is on, tried with or without connections optimizer, restarting in airplane mode, etc. My wife's phone is the control - she gets LTE in these places, has the same settings as mine, but has never sent it off for repair. Anyone know a fix? Is this likely a Sprint issue or an HTC issue? Thanks.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Sounds like a phone issue if someone else gets LTE there. That particular phone has signal issues anyway, but it sounds like the LTE antenna might be messed up. If you have the MSL or can take it to a store, you could try a provisioning reset, but I doubt it'll help.

The funny thing is if it wasn't for you actually being in an LTE area, I'd wonder if you were one of my customers. Had a guy who went through HTC for repairs and had the same invalid ESN issue.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

td4guy posted:

But will SquareTrade tell you to gently caress off if your phone only reboots itself intermittently?

That could indicate a hardware failure or some kind of overheating issue, if so, that would be covered.

It doesn't cover software problems, but my coverage includes "Accidental Damage from Handling". If a hardware reset doesn't work, I have the option to use my S4 as a skateboard.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Paul Proteus posted:

Sprint technical guys I am looking for any advice you can give for my ailing HTC EVO 4G LTE.

About a month ago it randomly bricked when I shut off the phone. I sent it off to HTC, they replaced the motherboard and battery, and all was fine for a week. Then, it bricked again while I was actually using the device. I sent it to HTC again, and when I received it back I couldn't activate it. The MEID was invalid in Sprint's system, we had to do a ClickIt ticket so I could change to the new MEID from the motherboard, and now the phone is working. The problem now though, is that I can't get LTE. I've tried everything I can think of - making sure LTE is on, tried with or without connections optimizer, restarting in airplane mode, etc. My wife's phone is the control - she gets LTE in these places, has the same settings as mine, but has never sent it off for repair. Anyone know a fix? Is this likely a Sprint issue or an HTC issue? Thanks.

Does that phone have a removable SIM?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Nope. No removable SIM or removable battery.

I don't have the MSL, so I figure I'll probably have to go into a store. TVs Ian, do you know if the antenna is the part on that case around the camera? They specifically told me to take it off each time and keep it here. I wonder if constantly removing it (between myself, the Sprint store's examinations, and HTC) damaged it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stick100 posted:

In general no sprint phone will ever have a removable SIM, even with LTE.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Entire Universe posted:

In general no sprint phone will ever have a removable SIM, even with LTE.
That's recently changed. The Sprint SGS4 definitely has an honest-to-goodness removable SIM--I've removed it. I believe the One does as well, and they're both unlockable world phones.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's recently changed. The Sprint SGS4 definitely has an honest-to-goodness removable SIM--I've removed it. I believe the One does as well, and they're both unlockable world phones.

Getting them to properly unlock the one has been a pain in the rear end for me.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Paul Proteus posted:

Nope. No removable SIM or removable battery.

I don't have the MSL, so I figure I'll probably have to go into a store. TVs Ian, do you know if the antenna is the part on that case around the camera? They specifically told me to take it off each time and keep it here. I wonder if constantly removing it (between myself, the Sprint store's examinations, and HTC) damaged it.

The door over the memory card slot/camera area does contain at least part of the antenna. I believe another one is in the plastic piece at the other end of the phone (don't take that one off). Unless there's a visible crack in it or the pins sticking up from the phone that make contact with it are bent, it's probably not that.

If the store is in an LTE area as well, they should be able to figure out if it's hardware or software. Resetting the provisioning and trying another back door (if they have one available) would rule out the easy stuff.

[edit]You know, if you had to do a click-it ticket to get the ESN working, there's a chance it has the wrong SIM listed on the account too. That might be worth checking. I know it's internal and non-removable, but the About menu should show you the SIM number. Care or the store should be able to verify it against the account.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

99% eh?

They must all be goons who bought high end phones. Couldn't possibly be the typical customer who didn't want to spend 200 dollars or happens to drop/water damage/force a plug in upside down or anything.

Nah you're right. Only 1% of customers break phones. Man you should like let major companies know!

Seriously. You have no idea wat you're talking about. I've worked for 3 of the 4 major carriers. Indirect. Corporate. Dont matter. 50% or so of the customers that walk into a store have a problem with a phone. And on sprint if you Dont have TEP enjoy playing 50 bucks every time you need to have it replaced or good luck with the manufacturer.

Of course, you must be right. Your example--breaking $1200 worth of phones in 3 months--is clearly the norm. That's why $11/mo for a service that provides a median of $400/mo in payouts is such a steal! Those fools! You'd think insurance companies would get some calculators LOL AMIRITE?!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Did the Network Vision update get posted? I was moving over the weekend and didn't have a chance to do it, so here it is just in case.

Approximately 1,260 updated sites since our last status update: Oregon/SW Washington (57), Indianapolis (56), Western Pennsylvania (53), Atlanta/Athens (52), West Michigan (46), New York City (41), LA Metro (37), Chicago (34), Nashville (33), Philadelphia Metro (33), Boston (32), Oklahoma (30), Jacksonville (29), Minnesota (29), Houston (27), Orlando (26), Raleigh/Durham (26), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (25), San Diego (25), Washington DC (25), West Texas (24), Memphis (23), SF Bay (23), Phoenix (21), Riverside/San Bernardino (21), South Bay (21), East Michigan (20), Orange County (20), DFW (19), New Orleans (19), Austin (18), Central Illinois (18), San Antonio (18), East Texas (17), Las Vegas (16), Pittsburgh (16), Alabama (15), West Washington (15), Kansas (13), South Carolina (13), Miami/West Palm (12), Southern Connecticut (12), Charlotte (11), North Wisconsin (10), Baltimore (9), Tampa (9), Tucson/Yuma (9), Louisiana (8), Delaware (7), Long Island (7), Northern Jersey (7), South West Florida (7), Georgia (6), Central Pennsylvania (5), Missouri (5), Southern Jersey (5), South Texas (5), Central Jersey (4), GA/SC Coast (4), Myrtle Beach (4), East Iowa (3), Mississippi (3), Norfolk (3), Providence (3), The Panhandle (3), Albuqueruque (2), Inland Northwest (2), Northern Connecticut (2), Richmond (2), Arkansas (1), Colorado (1), Gulf Coast (1), PR/VI (1), Upstate NY East (1), VT/NH/ME (1).

Highlights this week: First LTE sites accepted in the Richmond and Colorado markets.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Wait a minute, WiMax is being phased out? That means my Evo 4G (not lte) is going to be obsolete?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gozinbulx posted:

Wait a minute, WiMax is being phased out? That means my Evo 4G (not lte) is going to be obsolete?

Sprint would prefer if wimax never existed.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
Nice, I do have a Wimax phone and would like to leave sprint without an ETF. I considered just using the verizon roaming trick but this is even easier and feels more honest.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Both have removable Sims, they are supposed to be unlockable for non-us carriers only.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

[edit]You know, if you had to do a click-it ticket to get the ESN working, there's a chance it has the wrong SIM listed on the account too. That might be worth checking. I know it's internal and non-removable, but the About menu should show you the SIM number. Care or the store should be able to verify it against the account.

This is why I asked if it had a removable SIM. Both can be listed on the account.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Paul Proteus posted:

I'm guessing it's either your SIM or the ICCID is listed wrong on your account. To get LTE you should just need the billing system to know, and a good SIM with the correct APN. In your case it's embedded so it should have the right APN.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Stick100 posted:

Both [the HTC One and the Samsung Galaxy S4] have removable Sims, they are supposed to be unlockable for non-us carriers only.
I thought this was an iPhone only thing, since they have a unique whitelist activation process. Is Sprint unlocking the Android phones for foreign SIMs only, or all SIMs? Didn't most older pre-LTE Sprint and Verizon World Phones come foreign SIM-unlock from the factory?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 30, 2013

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
The Photon 4G had a sim card too. Sprint will unlock them for foreign SIMs only.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

WoG posted:

Of course, you must be right. Your example--breaking $1200 worth of phones in 3 months--is clearly the norm. That's why $11/mo for a service that provides a median of $400/mo in payouts is such a steal! Those fools! You'd think insurance companies would get some calculators LOL AMIRITE?!

11$ a month is easier to swallow to most people than 599.99 if poo poo happens. Most people dont go out of the way and gently caress with checking ESNs on used phones etc. I'm glad you have so much faith in people that everyone should be able to do such things, but fact is most people its easier to sometimes pay more if they dont have tons of problems, just in case there ends up being one. And some phones such as the S2 are giant hunks of poo poo and not having TEP on a device like that is laughable. I get it, You dont need it. But average people like it. Hell I had a couple of people buy S4s tonight not get it. I explained how it worked without it. They decided against it. I respect that. But they also actually understood phone costs and buying used. MOST CUSTOMERS dont know this poo poo. They dont budget for it. Sometimes its better value to just pay the man. Ya dig? Or maybe not. I'm kinda over the subject but I really hope you understand at this point.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

EbolaIvory posted:

TEP poo poo, and all your customers are morons

This is a Sprint user support thread in Inspect Your Gadgets in the Something Awful Forums. This thread is for Internet-savvy power users with access to resources like Craigslist, eBay, SA Mart, and Paypal. Plenty of warnings about ESN blacklisting have been provided. If and when people come in asking, "How do I buy a used phone when my phone broke and I don't have an upgrade available?" they will be warned about ESN verification. My suggestion for those reading along is to meet used phone sellers at a Sprint store to make the exchange.

This is not a support forum for Sprint salesmen to discuss sales pitches or vent about customers. If you want to officially or unofficially represent Sprint from your position as a salesman or technician in service of us Sprint power users, your expertise will be appreciated. However, the other poster was right; you are a shill. I've followed your posts in this and the AT&T thread. Your blind and unwavering support for the hand that feeds is apparent.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
My bill is a complete loving mess this month. $198 for two phones with a 21% discount on a 1500 minute plan.

The $36 upgrade fee I understand since I upgraded to a One at the end of April. Somehow TEP got added to my line, and then I'm paying prorated fees for April 28-May 26 + non-prorated fees for May 27-June 26...I don't get it (I could be a dumbass tho). There's a bunch of charges that are canceled out by negative charges as well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

This is a Sprint user support thread in Inspect Your Gadgets in the Something Awful Forums. This thread is for Internet-savvy power users with access to resources like Craigslist, eBay, SA Mart, and Paypal. Plenty of warnings about ESN blacklisting have been provided. If and when people come in asking, "How do I buy a used phone when my phone broke and I don't have an upgrade available?" they will be warned about ESN verification. My suggestion for those reading along is to meet used phone sellers at a Sprint store to make the exchange.

I agree with the TEP debate being terrible, I agree with people here not usually if ever needing it, and that what normal people "should get" really doesn't matter. Anyway, if we could drop the debate that would be great everyone.

goku chewbacca posted:

This is not a support forum for Sprint salesmen to discuss sales pitches or vent about customers. If you want to officially or unofficially represent Sprint from your position as a salesman or technician in service of us Sprint power users, your expertise will be appreciated. However, the other poster was right; you are a shill. I've followed your posts in this and the AT&T thread. Your blind and unwavering support for the hand that feeds is apparent.

Also a good point, end of the day I'll try and keep shop talk to a minimum. A general mention to retail reps that the I hate retail thread is pretty good:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3323091

Stevie Lee posted:

My bill is a complete loving mess this month. $198 for two phones with a 21% discount on a 1500 minute plan.

The $36 upgrade fee I understand since I upgraded to a One at the end of April. Somehow TEP got added to my line, and then I'm paying prorated fees for April 28-May 26 + non-prorated fees for May 27-June 26...I don't get it (I could be a dumbass tho). There's a bunch of charges that are canceled out by negative charges as well.

The TEP was probably just added by the rep you got it from without telling you. Check where you got it from and do a follow up to see if they will credit you. You can try customer care, but I would make a bet they would say you would have to go back to the store since it is likely a store issue. The worst case (because indirects can't credit if you got it from an indirect store) is you are out $10ish dollars. If so, all I got is don't go back to that store.

For prorations, you switched from a non-LTE phone to a LTE phone, and the LTE on requires a different code in the system, which means billing wise it sees you changing from one data plan to another, hence why there are a few credits and a few charges. Sprint bills a month in advsnce, so thats why yu see next months bill on there already. Do the math and see if there is a big difference between the two. If its something like $10 or more feel free to call customer care, they might credit it. I would fret about it if its $5, but that's just me.

I don't they'll credit the upgrade fee, all the carriers are pretty hardened to not crediting them anymore. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 30, 2013

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I just got $24 credited and the TEP removed through the online chat. That was easy.

I feel bad cause the guy asked me to give him a positive response on the survey, but the survey never even popped up.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Stevie Lee posted:

I feel bad cause the guy asked me to give him a positive response on the survey, but the survey never even popped up.
It's cool, I've filled out a bunch of those surveys (A++++ great support chatter would chat again!) in the past few weeks from having to repeatedly flip between devices the hard way.

Cuttlefish Party
Mar 18, 2011

Cuttlefish: GO.
(They've advanced quickly.)
Well, thanks in part to the suggestions from here I've pulled the trigger on an S4. I like it quite a bit, although it's just a bit unwieldy in a single hand, as I expected. The larger screen size is great for everything but portability though.

I've got the Google Voice integration thing turned on. Any way I can disable notifications from the default voicemail app and get everything (solely) through the Google Voice app?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

I went into the Sprint Corporate Repair store that I've been dealing with and no dice on anything. They checked my SIM, reset the provisioning, checked the software and settings, and could find nothing wrong. They told me to contact HTC again or they could do an exchange for $50.00. I'll see what HTC will do, but if it is going to be a headache again then I may just pay the $50.00 for the ease of finally being done with this.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I agree with the TEP debate being terrible, I agree with people here not usually if ever needing it, and that what normal people "should get" really doesn't matter. Anyway, if we could drop the debate that would be great everyone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Paul Proteus posted:

I went into the Sprint Corporate Repair store that I've been dealing with and no dice on anything. They checked my SIM, reset the provisioning, checked the software and settings, and could find nothing wrong. They told me to contact HTC again or they could do an exchange for $50.00. I'll see what HTC will do, but if it is going to be a headache again then I may just pay the $50.00 for the ease of finally being done with this.

If you do do the exchange, doesn't hurt to ask if they would swap for a S3.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Tedronai66 posted:

Not on my account yet. But I do see one about verifying my discount.
Hmm, I see a notification in my account regarding "may have to verify" but haven't heard anything else. I notice that people online have been griping about this for over a year - is this a recent push, or just something that's been floating around? I'm set for a phone upgrade in July, but I don't want to bother if they're going to have me verify working for a company I no longer work for.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Are any of you dudes in San Francisco on the LTE network? I recently went from the Evo 3D to the One and I'm finding the LTE 4G to be even slower than 3G is. What's up with that. I'm lucky to get 1Mbps down on 4G.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

1) The network rollout is incomplete and its current state is not indicative of what it will be in the future.

2) The EVO LTE has notoriously bad LTE reception.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I got 4g in Vancouver Washington. :dance:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

I got a little Sprint Zone notification the other night that network upgrades including LTE were coming soon to my area. Did anyone else get those, and if so, how long was it until LTE was up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

If my dad wants to get an iPhone 5 and use it while traveling in India, what options does he have? Sprint.com/sww only mentions paying roaming fees using their service, whereas I've read you can get Sprint to unlock the phone after 90 days from activation. At that point, you're bound to Sprint in the US, but you can pop in a SIM obtained overseas whenever you want while traveling, right?

People at Best Buy were telling him he couldn't do the latter, but it sounds like they're full of poo poo.