Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Thoren posted:

Will I regret selling my DSLR and its 5 cumbersome lenses to get that new Olympus camera with a 12-40mm f/2.8 zoom and a 17mm f/1.8 prime?

No, you will not. The 12-40 is amazing in every way. 2.8 on M43 still has a reasonably thin DoF if you shoot to emphasize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thoren posted:

I've gotten pretty good results at f/2.8 with aps-c cameras. I don't need an ultra-thin depth of field but sometimes it's nice to get a bit of subject isolation.

2.8 APSC zoom lens aren't exactly samll, unless you count the 18-55mm 2.8-4.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Alpenglow posted:

No, you will not. The 12-40 is amazing in every way. 2.8 on M43 still has a reasonably thin DoF if you shoot to emphasize it.

Also, if you really need shallow DoF, the f/.95s from Voigtlander are great MFT lenses that shoot equal to f2 on FF. Using the 42.5 it is particularly hard to tell you shot it on MFT.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Thanks guys. Guess it's time to wait and see how much the EM1 MKII costs.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

windex posted:

Also, if you really need shallow DoF, the f/.95s from Voigtlander are great MFT lenses that shoot equal to f2 on FF. Using the 42.5 it is particularly hard to tell you shot it on MFT.

Yeah, I already get razor-thin DOF with the Nocticron and would love to try one of the Voigtländers. Frankly, even with the 12-40 at f2.8 the DOF is sometimes too thin.

My recommendation: get the E-M1 Mark II kit with the 12-40, try it out for a while and take your time to figure out what kind of prime you want/need. Seriously, the 12-40 is scarily good and will double as a reasonable portrait lens at the long end. I find it hard to justify a prime in its focal range; the only qualities you'll gain with a 17mm f1.8 or a 15mm f1.7 are size and speed, but they won't take better pictures, the 12-40 is that good. I bought the 45mm f1.8 which is good and cheap, but I almost never used it. I had to go all out and get the Nocticron for something that truly goes beyond what the 12-40 can do.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 15, 2016

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

What do you use to clean your mirrorless sensors? I had a stubborn speck on my X-T1 that would not go away by blowing at it with my Giotto air pump, so I removed it with a newly opened microfiber. It's only a temporary solution, now I have very smalls specks, only visible at f/22 in direct light. But I wanna make sure the sensor is squeaky clean in case I decide to sell the camera.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Animal posted:

What do you use to clean your mirrorless sensors? I had a stubborn speck on my X-T1 that would not go away by blowing at it with my Giotto air pump, so I removed it with a newly opened microfiber. It's only a temporary solution, now I have very smalls specks, only visible at f/22 in direct light. But I wanna make sure the sensor is squeaky clean in case I decide to sell the camera.

I use this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRqAt0pWhxU

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Wengy posted:

Yeah, I already get razor-thin DOF with the Nocticron and would love to try one of the Voigtländers. Frankly, even with the 12-40 at f2.8 the DOF is sometimes too thin.

My recommendation: get the E-M1 Mark II kit with the 12-40, try it out for a while and take your time to figure out what kind of prime you want/need. Seriously, the 12-40 is scarily good and will double as a reasonable portrait lens at the long end. I find it hard to justify a prime in its focal range; the only qualities you'll gain with a 17mm f1.8 or a 15mm f1.7 are size and speed, but they won't take better pictures, the 12-40 is that good. I bought the 45mm f1.8 which is good and cheap, but I almost never used it. I had to go all out and get the Nocticron for something that truly goes beyond what the 12-40 can do.

I'd like to have the ability to shoot some video at night as well.

The Pan-Leica 25mm 1.4 seems like a perfect option but I heard it makes weird noises when autofocusing on Olympus bodies.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 16, 2016

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I need help selecting a 30mm lens! I'm shooting with an NEX-5 (and probably renting the A7R II again) and am in need of a quick, sharp prime lens. This time it's for a retailer photoshoot, and I'll probably use it at local sports events and (small) group photos. It'd be nice to be able to use it for the occasional video, too. I was considering this Sigma 30mm f/1.4, but wasn't sure if it's my best option. I was also considering this Sony SEL35F18 35mm f/1.8 for the same purpose.

I'm willing to spend between $500 to $700 CAD. Any better recommendations?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 17, 2016

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I ended up getting this cleaner because it was much cheaper. It did the trick, sensor is now as-new.

I also bought the J.B. resin grip for my X100T and a soft release. How did I go a year and a half without these things?? Along with the thumb grip they really aid in ergonomics.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Animal posted:

I ended up getting this cleaner because it was much cheaper. It did the trick, sensor is now as-new.

I also bought the J.B. resin grip for my X100T and a soft release. How did I go a year and a half without these things?? Along with the thumb grip they really aid in ergonomics.

You linked to a screen protector.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Oops, sorry. It's this
APS-C Frame (CCD/CMOS) Digital Camera Sensor Cleaning Swab Type 2 Cleaning Kit (Box of 12 X 16mm Swab + 15ml Sensor Cleaner) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K8MTPEW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_01rbybKZRCJ2A

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

melon cat posted:

I need help selecting a 30mm lens! I'm shooting with an NEX-5 (and probably renting the A7R II again) and am in need of a quick, sharp prime lens. This time it's for a retailer photoshoot, and I'll probably use it at local sports events and (small) group photos. It'd be nice to be able to use it for the occasional video, too. I was considering this Sigma 30mm f/1.4, but wasn't sure if it's my best option. I was also considering this Sony SEL35F18 35mm f/1.8 for the same purpose.

There is also the discontinued Zeiss 32mm 1.8 and the overpriced "Zeiss" 16-70mm f/4.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I use the 28mm F2.0 lens a lot and love it: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SEL28F20-Standard-Prime-Mirrorless-Cameras/dp/B00U29GN6O

Originally with a NEX7 and now with the a6300.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

melon cat posted:

I have the Sigma 30mm in SA mount and it's not that great. It appears to be fine for MFT users, but on APS-C there's barrel distortion and it's a prime so this is a bad sign in general.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Could anyone share their X-T1 image settings for maximum Lightroom compatibility? I just got mine and I haven't played with it and Lightroom yet (been posting JPEGs SOOC), I've read online that some people prefer to decrease the Sharpness setting as photos look apparently different when viewed on a monitor.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

melon cat posted:

If you can handle the drop to f/2.8, Sigma's 30mm EX DN Art lens is fantastic and a steal at $170USD. https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-30mm-F2-8-Black-Sony/dp/B00BQXL5CM
I have it, and it's what stays attached to the front of my a6000 90% of the time.

I don't have the SEL35F18, but I recently got the SEL50F18. From what I've read, IQ is comparable between the two, with the 35 having sharper edges wide open.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Everything I've read about the sigma 30 1.4 has been glowing. But I've really only been looking at the m43 mount reviews. Guess it isn't so hot for apsc. That sucks and is too bad.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

JAF07 posted:

If you can handle the drop to f/2.8, Sigma's 30mm EX DN Art lens is fantastic and a steal at $170USD. https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-30mm-F2-8-Black-Sony/dp/B00BQXL5CM
I have it, and it's what stays attached to the front of my a6000 90% of the time.

I don't have the SEL35F18, but I recently got the SEL50F18. From what I've read, IQ is comparable between the two, with the 35 having sharper edges wide open.

I loved the pictures I got with it, but it never seemed to work well with the autofocus on my NEX7 all that well. I'll have to try it out on the a6300 and see if it's an issue still.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Rontalvos posted:

The OVF on my X100 is easily visible with polarized sunglasses on in landscape but not portrait. The used X-Pro1 I bought is the opposite, the lines disappear on landscape but reappear on portrait. And the eye sensor on the X-Pro2 I tried in a camera store doesn't seem to work with glasses on at all.

What the gently caress, Fuji?

i also have an x100 and this drove me nuts for ages until i got drunk and lost my ray bans. hth

the screen is polarized and you're getting this effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAQ3Y7ePXBQ

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Aredna posted:

I loved the pictures I got with it, but it never seemed to work well with the autofocus on my NEX7 all that well. I'll have to try it out on the a6300 and see if it's an issue still.

I have this too and it is a great lens. Let us know how it works on the newer body. I used it on my NEX-5n and the focus was slow but accurate if I gave it time. I never use it anymore since moving to Fuji but I enjoyed the IQ of that lens a lot. Hated the manual focus ring though, which sucked since I would have done that more with the slow autofocus.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Everything I've read about the sigma 30 1.4 has been glowing. But I've really only been looking at the m43 mount reviews. Guess it isn't so hot for apsc. That sucks and is too bad.

I really don't know what happened with the 30mm, but the 19mm DN Art is amazing. Sigma was trying for a 35mm 1.4 FF Art grade APS-C lens with the 30, and missed completely somehow, but it seems to be doing well on MFT.

The 30mm was their sd Quattro kit lens, amd there are tons of real world comparisons against the 18-35 showing the 18-35 beating out the 30 all around with less distortion even though it's a zoom, but that's a $900 lens vs a $300 lens I guess.

The most confusing part about the 30mm 1.4 is the dxomark score on e mount, but they appear to not weight distortion as highly negative. Petapixel covered the DxO score and it makes it clear the distortion is pretty awful vs alternatives (the next highest score from Sony has 0 distortion):

http://petapixel.com/2016/07/01/sigma-30mm-f1-4-best-e-mount-lens-dxo-ever-tested/

The 19mm scores lower somehow despite having excellent characteristics for a 19mm in any mount, it's optically on par with the Voigtlander lenses on MFT and the e mount samples I have seen are also great. Certianly provides more datapoints on dxomark scores being worth evaluating against real shooting conditions.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
DxO is a chill.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I use the 30 1.4 on my a6000 and it's my favorite lens for the system by a good margin. Great focus, nice color rendition and boke. Super sharp and usable wide open. My only mild complaint is the size but it feels balanced.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the lens recommendations, guys. It really narrowed down my list of buying options.

But there's a problem. After renting the A7R II, I nearly fell in love with the damned thing. It takes incredible photos. Ideally, I'd love to buy an a6500 + FS5 for video work, but given the FS5's $7500CAD pricetag I don't think an FS5 is in my future, anytime soon.

Is the A7R II in any way a good compromise for photos/video work until I can magically afford an FS5?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Really, I shouldn't care. I would be using it on m43 anyway, and then only if I were to go for a slightly long fast normal to compliment my slightly wide fast normal Panasonic 20mm.

I wonder if I'll ever buy an Olympus lens to go with my OM-D... the kit was lens that came with it was worse than the banged up pawn shop 18-55 that came with my Rebel XSi.

My Oly wish list is pretty much just the 7-14, 75, and 300. Maybe the Oly 12 + Samyang 7.5 fisheye if I can't bring myself to shell out for the 7-14. I would go Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 for the standard-to-tele zoom range.

But I shouldn't buy any lenses anymore ever until I've got 2K+ saved up for the 300. I do need something wide, though. I've got other telephoto options right now, but nothing that covers wider than 28mm equivalent FoV.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I've got the Samyang 7.5 fisheye and am always surprised by how sharp it is even when wide open. Now if only I had more reasons to use a fisheye lens :sigh:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
wrong thread edit

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

melon cat posted:

I have the SEL35F18-35 but I can't comment on the Sigma. I probably should have got it because I heard its sharper but apparently the oss is much better in the Sony. However, I can offer some advice - I've been buying all my lenses from Amazon.co.uk lately. The pound has tanked so you'll probably get it cheaper than the Canadian price. Can't comment on what they'll tack on for customs fees (I'm in USA) but as far as I know they charge it upfront.

Now I have a question if anyone can answer it. I'm using a Sony A5100 but any advice is probably going to be the same as for the A6000 in this respect. What is the best way to get raws onto an iPad (12.9" Pro). Does it work via the Apple SD card adaptor? Does it work via the camera's usb hookup to apple's USB adaptor (I'd prefer this as I really hate removing cards from the camera.) Right now I'm using an Eyefi card but it's an older one that does not transfer raw. Which of the later ones actually work for this, I'm reading really mixed reviews.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

melon cat posted:

Thanks for the lens recommendations, guys. It really narrowed down my list of buying options.

But there's a problem. After renting the A7R II, I nearly fell in love with the damned thing. It takes incredible photos. Ideally, I'd love to buy an a6500 + FS5 for video work, but given the FS5's $7500CAD pricetag I don't think an FS5 is in my future, anytime soon.

Is the A7R II in any way a good compromise for photos/video work until I can magically afford an FS5?

The A7R II is a fantastic video camera if you already love its picture taking abilities. It has a bit more moire than the A7S II and isn't as good in low light situations but if you're looking for a camera to do double duty it's an obvious choice.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I'm wondering if any of you with an X-T2 can tell me about the autofocus difference between the older, large aperture primes and some of the newer lenses. I am still on track to get one in November, and still trying to decide between something like the 56 1.2 and the 16-55 f2 - all I have seen is general comments that the older primes will not focus as fast as the newer lenses but I'm wondering exactly how much speed we are talking about between the two. Also, I can't seem to find anywhere which lenses or lenses made before what date will be slower, just that the larger aperture primes are affected.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rio posted:

Also, I can't seem to find anywhere which lenses or lenses made before what date will be slower, just that the larger aperture primes are affected.
Lenses with the linear motor focus faster. There's a table on Wikipedia that lists capabilities of each lens:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujifilm_X-mount

Look for "LM".

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
xt2 vs xpro-2

upgrading from xpro1.

which should i dump moneyz on

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

X-T2 rulez

X-Pro2 droolz

Thoren
May 28, 2008
xpro2 looks cooler.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I wanted the xpro2 but couldn't deal with no efv. It's fine if you're only ever going to use a ~35mm lens at all times I guess but eeehhhhh

rio
Mar 20, 2008

And if you were using

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Lenses with the linear motor focus faster. There's a table on Wikipedia that lists capabilities of each lens:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujifilm_X-mount

Look for "LM".

Thanks, that is very useful.

Another question, has anyone used both the 18-55 and the 16-55? Any thoughts on one vs. the other? I have the 18-55 and am familiar with it but have never used the 16-55. I am starting to lean towards the 56 1.2 since I have the 24 1.4 and could use that and the 24 if I need to shoot with a wide aperture.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

BANME.sh posted:

I wanted the xpro2 but couldn't deal with no efv. It's fine if you're only ever going to use a ~35mm lens at all times I guess but eeehhhhh

But the xpro 2 has an evf? What am I missing here?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

thetzar posted:

Maybe I'm dumb, I assumed it didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

thetzar posted:

To be fair if you were gonna use the EVF on the X-Pro 2 then you might as well get the X-T2.