Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mdemone posted:

Oh, wonderful!

The Mavericks upgrade has hosed (at least) one of my fonts in Keynote, such that all of the letters are mashed on top of each other in every text box formatted with that font (Bradley Hand ITC TT). I'm sure that will be a lovely little edge case that will take years to finally track down and fix.

Thousands of lecture slides now need to be re-edited. I need to go outside for a few minutes, I think.

Virtualize OSX in OSX and run in ML until it's fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

mdemone posted:

Thousands of lecture slides now need to be re-edited. I need to go outside for a few minutes, I think.

Think of it as Tim Cook reaching out and personally telling you to stop using such god-awful loving fonts for your presentations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

mdemone posted:

Oh, wonderful!

The Mavericks upgrade has hosed (at least) one of my fonts in Keynote, such that all of the letters are mashed on top of each other in every text box formatted with that font (Bradley Hand ITC TT). I'm sure that will be a lovely little edge case that will take years to finally track down and fix.

In the meantime, couldn't you easily pick a better font, install that, then just replace the usage of Bradley with that?

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
After many hours I've got rid of most of the mess from my failed Windows 8 installation (previous page). But I'm now stuck with a 105GB free space partition, and I don't know how to merge it with the main Macintosh HD.

This is a 3TB fusion drive, and I'm afraid to use some random terminal command I find through google.

Is there any way I can get it back to "The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume"?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

pipes! posted:

Think of it as Tim Cook reaching out and personally telling you to stop using such god-awful loving fonts for your presentations.

Heh, I deserve that. To be fair, my primary font is Optima and I only use Bradley Hand when trying to mimic something a student would write down for a certain problem.

It is a terrible font though. I should just bite the bullet and erase it.

noirstronaut posted:

In the meantime, couldn't you easily pick a better font, install that, then just replace the usage of Bradley with that?

Could you elaborate on that last step? How do I "alias" one font with another?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

mongoibur posted:

After many hours I've got rid of most of the mess from my failed Windows 8 installation (previous page). But I'm now stuck with a 105GB free space partition, and I don't know how to merge it with the main Macintosh HD.

This is a 3TB fusion drive, and I'm afraid to use some random terminal command I find through google.

Is there any way I can get it back to "The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume"?

Click the white bit above where you've got the free space highlighted in your picture and drag the bottom right corner down to fill the space and then hit apply. It should non-destructively resize the disk.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

For all you developers who are lazy like me, Apple's seeded an update for Mavericks from Dev Preview 8 to the GM seed through the App Store. I'm still probably going to do a wipe and clean install on my test machine but it's a nice option for people who hadn't updated yet.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Ratjaculation posted:

Guys its MSc time. Any recommendations on reference management?

I like BibDesk, there's also Papers. BibDesk is open source and free, and worked good enough for my needs (100 references or so, relatively minor).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ratjaculation posted:

I've always used endnote for writing academic papers. It's also convenient for sending papers to other authors since you can be fairly sure they'll be using endnote too.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Ratjaculation posted:

Mendeley.

Pros:
- works with most word processors
- cloud based
- most importantly, just works
- large range of citation styles available and has a citation style editor built in

Cons:
- now owned by Elsevier

Caveat:
- if you're working in LaTeX (and if you are, why?) then just go with the traditional BibTeX and tools to handle that.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I use Sente, mainly because Papers (which I had stuck with since its early alphas) didn't seem to have any active development toward making cloud sync with annotations work correctly. This went on for a couple years. I wanted to read things on my iPad but it looked like it was never going to become a reality.

For my dissertation I'm using a combination of my established Sente libraries and Bibtex, though, because gently caress if I'm writing anything big in Word.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The startup window for TextEdit and Pages and probably other programs in 10.8-- there's no recents list on there. How can you miss something so basic and obvious?
edit: right clicking on an application icon is a quick way to get at the recent documents list, but I'm wondering if an improvement of the startup window is in the works for 10.9.

brap fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 9, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ratjaculation posted:

EndNote is a hugely popular one at my work.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I've been having this issue with my new MBA where after I wake it up, it will, after a few seconds, go back to sleep and I'll have to wake it up again. Lately when it does it I can still see my cursor but the screen is black this will hang the system for like five seconds before falling asleep again.

I noted that other people had this problem on google but it was attributed to an app called insomnia which I do not have installed. Anyone have knowledge regarding this issue?

b2n
Dec 29, 2005
just got an iPad from work and never had any apple/mac products before. In the past, I always used firefox with adblock as browser, and I'm going insane with all the ads I currently get with Safari. There doesn't appear to be a firefox version for the i-Pad but i'm assuming mac users have another way to get rid of the ads?

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Install chrome and get Adblock again.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

b2n posted:

just got an iPad from work and never had any apple/mac products before. In the past, I always used firefox with adblock as browser, and I'm going insane with all the ads I currently get with Safari. There doesn't appear to be a firefox version for the i-Pad but i'm assuming mac users have another way to get rid of the ads?

Are we talking about Safari on the iPad or Safari on the Mac? This is the Mac thread, after all…

If we're talking about Safari on the Mac, then use this. If on the iPad, then, wrong thread, my man.

b2n
Dec 29, 2005

Terpfen posted:

Are we talking about Safari on the iPad or Safari on the Mac? This is the Mac thread, after all…

If we're talking about Safari on the Mac, then use this. If on the iPad, then, wrong thread, my man.
sorry. can you point me to the right thread, please. I've looked but didn't find a specific Ipad thread

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You'll have to travel to the horrors of Inspect Your Gadgets

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010

Stumpus posted:

I've been having this issue with my new MBA where after I wake it up, it will, after a few seconds, go back to sleep and I'll have to wake it up again. Lately when it does it I can still see my cursor but the screen is black this will hang the system for like five seconds before falling asleep again.

I noted that other people had this problem on google but it was attributed to an app called insomnia which I do not have installed. Anyone have knowledge regarding this issue?

I'm having this problem too with my 2013 MBA. I usually use it on battery power and sometimes when I leave it to go to the gents, the screen will be blacked out when I got back. I tried tapping on all the keys on the keyboard for it to 'wake up' but nothing works.

I don't think it's sleeping though since the keyboard backlight is lit up when all that is happening.

The worse part is that I can't actually bring it to the store since it happens randomly enough that I probably won't be able to recreate this issue on demand.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Installed 10.9 on the home iMac. Yes. This is awesome.

Immediately apparent:
Finder Tabs
Activity Manager is now awesome - shows all sorts of good information
Dual Screen - switching displays around is much faster and it's detecting my tv resolution correctly now.
Safari is better.

My work laptop I'm going to hold off upgrading, that is the real test. I do a lot of mounting DFS and SMB shares on it in a very MS environment, it can sometimes be painful when it doesn't work quite right.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

neonburzt posted:

I'm having this problem too with my 2013 MBA. I usually use it on battery power and sometimes when I leave it to go to the gents, the screen will be blacked out when I got back. I tried tapping on all the keys on the keyboard for it to 'wake up' but nothing works.

I don't think it's sleeping though since the keyboard backlight is lit up when all that is happening.

The worse part is that I can't actually bring it to the store since it happens randomly enough that I probably won't be able to recreate this issue on demand.

My 2012 MBP did this all the time, but I installed 10.9 when it dropped and it hasn't happened since.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mavericks question: Im currently connecting to my NAS using AFP, should I switch to SMB2? what gives the best performance for write speed to the NAS? (its a netgear RAIDiator based Sparc NAS, if that helps. SMB, AFP, CIFS are supported)

EDIT: after some testing on my own, SMB is worlds faster. YMMV.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 10, 2013

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Stumpus posted:

I've got this and wrote about it a few pages back. In summary:

* it's not uncommon
* there's no clear cause
* setting your mac for autologin or lengthening the "to sleep" period seem to help
* there's some advice that OS upgrades will help

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Is there a "undo" action in Finder similar to Windows Explorer?

Mainly because sometimes I mistakenly move a file by mistake on my macbook air trackpad not knowing which file exactly and I'd like to "undo" that.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

lol internet. posted:

Is there a "undo" action in Finder similar to Windows Explorer?

Mainly because sometimes I mistakenly move a file by mistake on my macbook air trackpad not knowing which file exactly and I'd like to "undo" that.

Command+Z. Same as control-z in windows.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

eddiewalker posted:

Command+Z. Same as control-z in windows.

However, redo is not command-Y, like you'd expect with it being control-Y in Windows. Redo is command-shift-Z.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Axiem posted:

However, redo is not command-Y, like you'd expect with it being control-Y in Windows. Redo is command-shift-Z.

Unless you're using Office. :arghfist:

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Just seeing if anyone has run into this - there's a feature in Windows in Outlook that allows you to create a rule to basically hold all sent emails in the outbox for a set period of time before sending. I've been poking around trying to get a similar setup in either osx office 2011 outlook or in Mac Mail.

Anyone know of any tools that can accomplish this?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

I'm liking the splash of color the new airmail beta icon gives my dock

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I hate the new icon so much. Kinda wish they kept the old one. It's like a psuedo iOS 7 icon.

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

Has anyone had any issues with safari being (feeling?) slow when opening or closing tabs? I'm on a rMBP and opening a tab / closing one can have like a half second or more delay, causing me to think wait did that register and hitting cmd-w again and then safari catches up, and closes two tabs.

It's driving me nuts. Chrome doesn't have that issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Leempi posted:

Has anyone had any issues with safari being (feeling?) slow when opening or closing tabs? I'm on a rMBP and opening a tab / closing one can have like a half second or more delay, causing me to think wait did that register and hitting cmd-w again and then safari catches up, and closes two tabs.

It's driving me nuts. Chrome doesn't have that issue.

Do you have any addons or extensions? Disable them and see if it goes away.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Reminders is still a leather adorned horror in Mavericks :ohdear:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Neurophonic posted:

Reminders is still a leather adorned horror in Mavericks :ohdear:

Ugh, really? I was hoping it would be updated.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

notes looks pretty terrible as well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really hoping Apple spends the next 12 months just unifying their visuals and user experiences, because right now it's a god drat mess. + on the taskbar on Safari for iPhone opens a new tab, while + on Safari for Mavericks adds it to your Reading List. Inconsistencies like that across what are supposed to be comparable products drive me absolutely nuts.

Don't get me started on Calendar for Mavericks, Calendar for iOS 7, and Calendar on iCloud.com. I'm not even asking for feature parity (though that would be nice) -- just consistent user interfaces.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Now I'm really curious. The next release will probably see OS X getting a new look to bring it more in line with iOS (not to say it'll look the same but I can't believe they won't want to change things.) I'm curious to see if they actually go with OS X 10.10, go up to OS XI, or something else altogether.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003
This might be NDA territory, but does anyone know if iCloud keychain will be available on iCloud.com in case I need to grab a password on a non-apple device? This will inform dropping the cash on Lastpass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

This might be NDA territory, but does anyone know if iCloud keychain will be available on iCloud.com in case I need to grab a password on a non-apple device?
As of right now, that does not appear to be a feature of iCloud keychain.