Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Harmony House was my go-to for freeze dried stuff. MREs are expensive and overpriced, but I can see them being useful in a short term shelter in place situation.

Datrex bars were okay as the brutalist option. Cheap, minimal packing, and sufficient nutrition for continued biological function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

become Solid Snake and roll around in a big pile of calorie mate bars

for in-house use, a more serious answer is canned soups, dried potatoes, dried beans, pasta, canned meat/fish, and cooking fuel. add spices and candy to make things more palatable.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Have you heard of Soylent?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

In the eventual hellscape I’ll live off of gorp and nutty buddies.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

George H.W. oval office posted:

In heaven I’ll live off of gorp and nutty buddies.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Check out PackItGourmet, they use to sell quite a bit of individual ingredients in addition to their excellent meals.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
gently caress me I did a dumb hike yesterday. Wanted 7000 feet of vertical in a day, got 7200. Thinking maybe I should have done an easier hike for the first big one of the year. Got cool views of the salt flats though

Some flowers

A cute cactus

A precarious rock

Old mining cabin

Plus lots of cuts and scrapes and many other dumb decisions throughout the day

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Hotel Kpro posted:

gently caress me I did a dumb hike yesterday. Wanted 7000 feet of vertical in a day, got 7200. Thinking maybe I should have done an easier hike for the first big one of the year. Got cool views of the salt flats though

Some flowers

A cute cactus

A precarious rock

Old mining cabin

Plus lots of cuts and scrapes and many other dumb decisions throughout the day

Looks real pretty. I'm not good with heights so I'm glad to be in a country where all the elevation changes are either occasionally steep but always tiny (in the south) or just big mellow ripples (in the north).

The rock pic also has William Shatner's face on the left side of the rock on the foreground.

Speaking of mellow ripples, here's some photos from my five day solo hike to Hammastunturi wilderness area in the Finnish Lapland. I think I managed to get the timing just right. The summer got off to a very quick start so the snow had melted enough that it was never on your way but the giant hordes of mosquitoes hadn't awakened yet either. It was part cloudy and quite warm but not exceedingly hot. No rain at all which hasn't happened to me before on a multi-day hike. The wilderness area has only some 13km of marked trail and very few actual paths beyond that so hiking there is a pretty offroad affair and requires quite a bit of navigation. I had one day of absolute dogshit terrain with uneven forest floor strewn with fallen birch trees. It was like walking on one of those obstacle courses made out of old tires. It made me rethink the plans for the latter half of the hike which ended up making the trip one day shorter than initially planned but I got to walk on the open fells a bit more which was nice.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hotel Kpro how many miles is a 7k+ climb? given the climate i assume you're starting before dawn, how long does that take you?

i would absolutely be withered bones halfway up the climb by the time you were coming back down lol

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Chard posted:

Hotel Kpro how many miles is a 7k+ climb? given the climate i assume you're starting before dawn, how long does that take you?

i would absolutely be withered bones halfway up the climb by the time you were coming back down lol

Strava gives a moving time of 5 hours 21 minutes, the actual elapsed time was closer to 7 hours 40 minutes. It seemed once I got above 11200 feet I started to really feel the thinner air. Normally that hits me above 12k or 13k feet, sometimes not at all. It really slowed me down

https://www.strava.com/activities/5463116626

It was 12 miles one way and while I was almost able to start around dawn I ended up being a bit late on account of how far I needed to drive. I could have parked closer but that would have eaten into the elevation gain for the day

The only other time I broke 7k feet in a climb it was a shorter hike

https://www.strava.com/activities/2625421487

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Hotel Kpro posted:

Strava gives a moving time of 5 hours 21 minutes, the actual elapsed time was closer to 7 hours 40 minutes. It seemed once I got above 11200 feet I started to really feel the thinner air. Normally that hits me above 12k or 13k feet, sometimes not at all. It really slowed me down

https://www.strava.com/activities/5463116626

It was 12 miles one way and while I was almost able to start around dawn I ended up being a bit late on account of how far I needed to drive. I could have parked closer but that would have eaten into the elevation gain for the day

The only other time I broke 7k feet in a climb it was a shorter hike

https://www.strava.com/activities/2625421487

Well done. I would totally kudos your Strava activity but somehow that feels creepy, so kudos.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I just moved to Seattle and went for my first ever PNW hike on Little Si which was pretty crowded (expectedly) and I conjured up this image in my head:

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
I hate those bastards

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't even get it. I'm there to hear bird calls and the faint trickle of streams. I get lost in thought or absorbed in the scenery. Obviously they're out there for different reasons, but I don't know what those are.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I had my first instance of being a cranky old that told some group of kids to turn down their music in Capitol Reef this past November. You could hear them a mile away because their music was blasting off the canyon walls. They didn't cop an attitude or anything but it was definitely a watershed moment for me personally.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

French Canadian posted:

I just moved to Seattle and went for my first ever PNW hike on Little Si which was pretty crowded (expectedly) and I conjured up this image in my head:

by context i assume that's a speaker you can mount on your pack? to the devil with its creator

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Chard posted:

by context i assume that's a speaker you can mount on your pack? to the devil with its creator

Yes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"It warns bears!" they exclaim as every human they ever encounter glares at them in anger.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chard posted:

There’s a whole range of the things. It’s annoying as gently caress and I rarely encounter them.

If you need to listen to something you can get yourself a pair of these. Hear your music, hear your surroundings, and not piss anyone else off.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't even get it. I'm there to hear bird calls and the faint trickle of streams. I get lost in thought or absorbed in the scenery. Obviously they're out there for different reasons, but I don't know what those are.

Unfortunately this is completely impossible in the Snoqualmie / north bend area

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

jeez people, just memorize like two or three songs (the maximum allowed by yr brain) and sing those over and over *begins fifth rendition of What I Got*

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Bloody posted:

Unfortunately this is completely impossible in the Snoqualmie / north bend area

Not actually true. Go earlier, farther, deeper, etc.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Here in Korea hiking is mostly for older folks, and it seems like half of them have a speaker of some sort to play their music. I hate it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey everyone! I unmarked this thread awhile ago because my inability to get out to my favorite places during covid was bumming me out BUT-

Today I went on my first real hike of the year!!

I got to Rocky Mountain Park at about 5am this morning and hiked from Bear Lake to Sky Pond. Counting my wrong turn and walking from the shuttle lot it was 10 miles.

Got to scramble up a glacier and I broke my altitude record! 10,900 feet!

And the purpose of the trip, Sky Pond:

Gah what a day. Good to be back.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Rolo posted:

Hey everyone! I unmarked this thread awhile ago because my inability to get out to my favorite places during covid was bumming me out BUT-

Today I went on my first real hike of the year!!

I got to Rocky Mountain Park at about 5am this morning and hiked from Bear Lake to Sky Pond. Counting my wrong turn and walking from the shuttle lot it was 10 miles.

Got to scramble up a glacier and I broke my altitude record! 10,900 feet!

And the purpose of the trip, Sky Pond:

Gah what a day. Good to be back.

Ah, I thought this was Lake of Many Winds at first but I felt like it looked different than I remember and subsequently scrolled all the way down to see it was sky pond.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My grandfather drove the Bear Lake busses for probably 10 summers when he was retired. That place is magical.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I had a conversation with a driver grandpa cause I got there so early and he was maybe the nicest person ever. He loved being there and talking about the park.

The hiking and views were fantastic but I had so many little experiences like talking with this guy that were just the icing on today’s cake.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We booked a few nights in Colorado for some car camping to have a chance to relax between trails. We booked them about a month ago when it was looking like outdoor activities were on the menu again. Then today wife gets an email that the reservoir the campground is next to is being drained and heavy machinery will be active during the day and water pumps running all night.

So that is super rad, and here my main concern was wildfire activity smoking us out.

FacePox
Jun 16, 2021

This is near the top of saddle mountain near the Oregon coast. I think it looks very whimsical, especially with the wispy clouds. I’m surprised my phone was able to take a picture this vibrant.

FacePox fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 19, 2021

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
There's not a mountaineering thread is there? Planning my test run in Sequoia to get ready for the Alps.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Woof Blitzer posted:

There's not a mountaineering thread is there? Planning my test run in Sequoia to get ready for the Alps.

There is a rock climbing thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522567

And I think they welcome any sort of climbing of rocky things.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

FacePox posted:

This is near the top of saddle mountain near the Oregon coast. I think it looks very whimsical, especially with the wispy clouds. I’m surprised my phone was able to take a picture this vibrant.

That's a cool area, but I've never been there in fair weather.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

That's a cool area, but I've never been there in fair weather.

It's a nice view on a clear day, but (like most things in the coastal range) it's tainted by patchy logged forest in every direction.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Pennywise the Frown posted:

There is a rock climbing thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522567

And I think they welcome any sort of climbing of rocky things.

Oh yeah that's the stuff.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I'm planning a timberline loop hike july 9th-11th if anyone would like to join me. I'll leave the Portland metro area after work on Thursday evening so we could carpool if interested. My gear closet is full, so I can provide something if you're missing an item or want something lighter. Please be prepared and know what you're getting into. I don't bite, but I do get pretty smelly.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Canna Happy posted:

I'm planning a timberline loop hike july 9th-11th if anyone would like to join me. I'll leave the Portland metro area after work on Thursday evening so we could carpool if interested. My gear closet is full, so I can provide something if you're missing an item or want something lighter. Please be prepared and know what you're getting into. I don't bite, but I do get pretty smelly.

I've managed to gently caress up my knee in the last year but otherwise I'd join you! Been wanting to do Timberline for years.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've managed to gently caress up my knee in the last year but otherwise I'd join you! Been wanting to do Timberline for years.

That’s too bad. I hope this s503 fire doesn’t get too crazy. Might put a damper on my plans .

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

earlier ITT I said I was going to Oregon. ended up spending some time at Newberry Volcanic Monument (south of Bend) which I highly recommend, I don't hear people talk about it often.

did this hike which is essentially circling an entire caldera!
https://bendtrails.org/trail/newberry-crater-crater-rim-trail/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the volcano-related stuff to do around there is a heap of fun.

I guess the low point is the lava butte visit, the one you have to take a shuttle to get up to. It's not that great. But hiking the lava field is pretty cool (and will gently caress up your shoes in a hurry, that rock is rough stuff).

I loved the lava river cave and the big obsidian flow as options for shorter strolls. It was extremely hard to resist walking off with obsidian samples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

There's several spots of recent (<10,000 years old) lava flows here in NM, and the arid environment means it doesn't weather quickly. I'm not sure about the flows you'd be hiking on in Oregon, but in general if you're hiking over geologically-recent lava, it's going to be slow progress.

It will tear up your shoes, but you should also plan to take longer (1.5-2x in my experience) than you normally would for the distance you're traveling. Sharp rocks and an uneven surface means you'll spend basically the entire time staring at the ground so you don't sprain your ankle with a careless step.

Lava tubes and such are pretty sweet though.